The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Moved to Phoenix, AZ Ready to start my new Life

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Hey everybody!

I moved to Phoenix from Portland about 2 weeks ago to begin my fastlane journey here. 10 hours in my trip my car broke down in Vacaville CA and I saw it as god asking me "How bad do you want it"

I told my self I want it F*&^&^ing BAD!

So when's my welcoming party? ;)
I'm happy to be here, and 2 weeks has seemed like 2 months. It's crazy when you change your environment (like going on vacation) time slows down. I think when you're making the most out of every day, it makes your days count.

I started working as a Personal Trainer and have a clientele of 8 already, but am still making pennies. I'm also almost done buying a 2br condo in Mesa but ran into some problems with my income so I had to have my mom Co-sign. I really need to close this soon since I'm living in an AirBnB at the moment. On the side I applied for a medical sales rep position to try get a better proof of income.

I'm about to finish up the Udemy course on web design @Fox recommended in his famous thread and home to freelance soon. The sales rep job will probably be temporary, I just needed some extra cash and wanted to practice skills at the same time.

I'll try to keep this progress thread up to date, I feel like I'm slightly all of the place right now but am feeling the momentum of this life.

Above all, thanks to everyone here, there's to many names to cite. I'm so happy to find a place like this forum and want to give back as much as I can. If anyone is in Phoenix/Scottsdale and want to meet feel free to message me!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hey everybody!

I moved to Phoenix from Portland about 2 weeks ago to begin my fastlane journey here. 10 hours in my trip my car broke down in Vacaville CA and I saw it as god asking me "How bad do you want it"

I told my self I want it F*&^&^ing BAD!

So when's my welcoming party? ;)
I'm happy to be here, and 2 weeks has seemed like 2 months. It's crazy when you change your environment (like going on vacation) time slows down. I think when you're making the most out of every day, it makes your days count.

I started working as a Personal Trainer and have a clientele of 8 already, but am still making pennies. I'm also almost done buying a 2br condo in Mesa but ran into some problems with my income so I had to have my mom Co-sign. I really need to close this soon since I'm living in an AirBnB at the moment. On the side I applied for a medical sales rep position to try get a better proof of income.

I'm about to finish up the Udemy course on web design @Fox recommended in his famous thread and home to freelance soon. The sales rep job will probably be temporary, I just needed some extra cash and wanted to practice skills at the same time.

I'll try to keep this progress thread up to date, I feel like I'm slightly all of the place right now but am feeling the momentum of this life.

Above all, thanks to everyone here, there's to many names to cite. I'm so happy to find a place like this forum and want to give back as much as I can. If anyone is in Phoenix/Scottsdale and want to meet feel free to message me!

Congrats on taking the leap! You're going to love it there!

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
Welcome! I moved to the Phoenix area 3 years ago and I love it here. There is a lot of potential in the Valley. Don't be afraid to hit me up if you need help on a project!

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Thanks for the support guys.

Currently I need a $12/hr job at 20 hours a week ASAP for my housing to be finalized. Does anyone know any businesses or companies that would take a college graduate (Biology)?

I'm going to call CostCo now, and cold call a bunch of other places that fit this criteria. Fingers crossed.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Congrats on taking the leap! You're going to love it there![/
Lots of action taking in here!
Tag me in a post if you want help with any web design stuff. Best of luck.

Thanks guys. Fox it was your "Sink or Swim Entrepreneurship" Thread and Andrew's Project Scottsdale along with all the other threads that inspired my move.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
First off, welcome to the valley! It's great here.

Second, and I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios, but this is what I do for a living currently.... you may want to seek a rental out for lodging while you get your loan qualification settled. Most lenders won't accept a brand new job in a new field as stable, qualifying income (they typically want 2 years in the same industry) so make sure you have a very in-depth conversation with your loan officer... Your agent should have made you aware of this, as well as the loan officer. Having a co-signer definitely helps your chances.... but have some conversations with these professionals so you're not spending your money in an AirBnB with no chance of ever closing on the condo. It may suck, but it might be the reality of things. Good news is that rents are comparatively cheap here & even more so in Mesa (or the west valley). Good luck down there, next month when the heat breaks, you'll love it even more.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Maybe because I've lived here so long I don't appreciate it... I thought MJ was nuts moving here and then have seen a lot of other members doing the same for the "weather"... Once my daughter is older I'd be happy to get out of the "oven" and move somewhere cooler. Anyways, welcome to Az and congrats on taking action!

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
First off, welcome to the valley! It's great here.

Second, and I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios, but this is what I do for a living currently.... you may want to seek a rental out for lodging while you get your loan qualification settled. Most lenders won't accept a brand new job in a new field as stable, qualifying income (they typically want 2 years in the same industry) so make sure you have a very in-depth conversation with your loan officer... Your agent should have made you aware of this, as well as the loan officer. Having a co-signer definitely helps your chances.... but have some conversations with these professionals so you're not spending your money in an AirBnB with no chance of ever closing on the condo. It may suck, but it might be the reality of things. Good news is that rents are comparatively cheap here & even more so in Mesa (or the west valley). Good luck down there, next month when the heat breaks, you'll love it even more.

Thanks for the advice @Red. I need to find a job by this weekend that fits the criteria above or ask for an extension. I have applied for 25+ today and will call more tomorrow.. I'm quite invested in this and am almost done but if it falls through I'll probably get a lease for an apartment.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Update

Good news guys, today I was hired as a sales rep for a car dealership here in Phoenix starting next week :) and after talking with my loan officer it looks like we shouldn't have a problem getting an small extension on the home I'm buying and I should be able to close the deal at the end of the month.

Are there are cars salesman here? If so do you guys have any tips for a newbie starting out? Its going to be a lot of hours but I'm excited to have a job where I can learn how to sell, talk, etc.

I'm going to finish my web design course on Udemy and will have to decide between the two.. but I know I'll figure it out.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Are there are cars salesman here? If so do you guys have any tips for a newbie starting out? Its going to be a lot of hours but I'm excited to have a job where I can learn how to sell, talk, etc.
Welcome to Phoenix! I made the move out here almost exactly a year ago. I love it.

I used to be a car salesman (three different dealerships). It is a very good job to be in as far as improving your sales skills. As far as just starting out.. have an open mind and be willing to learn as much as you can.

We have meetups from time to time, actually last week a few of us got together in Tempe. We're always open to anyone who wants to join us. I'll let you know next time.

Good luck!

Amon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Jun 29, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Update

Good news guys, today I was hired as a sales rep for a car dealership here in Phoenix starting next week :) and after talking with my loan officer it looks like we shouldn't have a problem getting an small extension on the home I'm buying and I should be able to close the deal at the end of the month.

I'm going to finish my web design course on Udemy and will have to decide between the two.. but I know I'll figure it out.
First, congrats on your move.

I'm not a car salesman but at the root of anything you do there, it will be sales/communication.
And in order to succeed as a car salesman, you gotta know the basics.
Even at a good dealership (hopefully you've picked a good one) -- know that a lot of your customers are going to assume right from the get that you're a sleazy/scammy car salesman.

1. Be professional. Look & Act the part.
You're not going to get away with unpressed, or clothes that aren't clean. Take a shower. Look good. Smell good, but don't over do it.

2. Greet your customers with enthusiasm. Get to know what they are looking for
When a customer enters your dealership, this likely means they are looking to buy a car. Mostly everyone needs one, and not many are looking to waste time walking around a lot. Greet all potential customers with confidence, warmth, and kindness.
A book you might find beneficial is "How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie"

3. Try different styles
Direct approach - walk up to the customer, greet them with a nice / firm handshake and ask questions. Knowing your customer and what they are looking for is the game.
Indirect approach - walk up to them, greet them with the same handshake, but instead of pushing them, just give them your business card and let them know where they can find you.

4. Pull the sale closed, don't push.
Pushy salesman turn customers off. More than likely, you're just gonna piss them off and they will find a new dealership to browse.
This concept is the same thing as leading a horse by the reins vs. pushing from behind.

5. Know your product/inventory + you're competitors
Know what you're selling and how it stacks up to the competition. If you're working at a Honda dealership, know as much as you can about Hondas, but then definitely know Chevy/Dodge/Ford.
You don't need to know everything, but you're first response to a question shouldn't be asking a manager, or taking a customer around the lot in Arizona heat for an hour.

6. Stay patient. Always be closing, but understand that some people need time. Be obsessed with closing, but make sure you give your customers room to breath (a.k.a don't be desperate. If you are honest with everybody and do the right thing-- sales will come)
Are you familiar with that GlenGarry Glen Ross speech?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PE2hSqVnk

"Live, eat and breathe your craft in order to dominate."

Good luck

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome to town! Seems like we have a new wave of people coming in here so we should do a new tally of who's here. I should update the Facebook group we have too. To you or anyone else fairly new here (as in moved here in the last 12 months that I haven't met yet) feel free to pm me if you're interested in setting up a group lunch meetup in Scottsdale.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the Valley.

Note to other people who are thinking about moving here.

It's HOT.

I mean really "don't move here you'll regret it" hot. ;)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
We had two weeks of 105+ degree weather here in LA and were dying we are used to 90-100 degrees but when it was hitting 110 and 115 oh man! That must be a cool day for you guys
But what was your humidity?

Welcome to the Valley.

Note to other people who are thinking about moving here.

It's HOT.

I mean really "don't move here you'll regret it" hot. ;)
Fear mongering, lol.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Fear mongering, lol.

Traffic seems to be getting exponentially worse. And the people moving here are bringing their dumb-a$$ nanny state politics.

Time for me to start warning people how much Arizona sucks. :devil:

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
First, congrats on your move.

I'm not a car salesman but at the root of anything you do there, it will be sales/communication.
And in order to succeed as a car salesman, you gotta know the basics.
Even at a good dealership (hopefully you've picked a good one) -- know that a lot of your customers are going to assume right from the get that you're a sleazy/scammy car salesman.

1. Be professional. Look & Act the part.
You're not going to get away with unpressed, or clothes that aren't clean. Take a shower. Look good. Smell good, but don't over do it.

2. Greet your customers with enthusiasm. Get to know what they are looking for
When a customer enters your dealership, this likely means they are looking to buy a car. Mostly everyone needs one, and not many are looking to waste time walking around a lot. Greet all potential customers with confidence, warmth, and kindness.
A book you might find beneficial is "How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie"

3. Try different styles
Direct approach - walk up to the customer, greet them with a nice / firm handshake and ask questions. Knowing your customer and what they are looking for is the game.
Indirect approach - walk up to them, greet them with the same handshake, but instead of pushing them, just give them your business card and let them know where they can find you.

4. Pull the sale closed, don't push.
Pushy salesman turn customers off. More than likely, you're just gonna piss them off and they will find a new dealership to browse.
This concept is the same thing as leading a horse by the reins vs. pushing from behind.

5. Know your product/inventory + you're competitors
Know what you're selling and how it stacks up to the competition. If you're working at a Honda dealership, know as much as you can about Hondas, but then definitely know Chevy/Dodge/Ford.
You don't need to know everything, but you're first response to a question shouldn't be asking a manager, or taking a customer around the lot in Arizona heat for an hour.

6. Stay patient. Always be closing, but understand that some people need time. Be obsessed with closing, but make sure you give your customers room to breath (a.k.a don't be desperate. If you are honest with everybody and do the right thing-- sales will come)
Are you familiar with that GlenGarry Glen Ross speech?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PE2hSqVnk

"Live, eat and breathe your craft in order to dominate."

Good luck

Thanks for the tips Amon, I'll keep them in mind starting out. I have never seen the movie but I have seen that scene many times! Love it, and the funny thing is I'm selling Hyundairs ;) haha. Your thread about pulling the trigger was one of the many that motivated me to make the move.

Success leaves clues and I'm just trying to follow the breadcrumbs left behind.

All_In52

Today
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 9, 2016
Traffic seems to be getting exponentially worse. And the people moving here are bringing their dumb-a$$ nanny state politics.

Time for me to start warning people how much Arizona sucks. :devil:

But what was your humidity?

Fear mongering, lol.

Thank you MJ

Even though its been 105F every day since I've been here I love it! Burning outside than freezing while inside :)

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Maybe because I've lived here so long I don't appreciate it... I thought MJ was nuts moving here and then have seen a lot of other members doing the same for the "weather"... Once my daughter is older I'd be happy to get out of the "oven" and move somewhere cooler. Anyways, welcome to Az and congrats on taking action!

I don't know, man. I love the heat. I love the Arizona summers.

I grew up in New York. Spent plenty of time in the snow and humid weather. I'd take a very hot dry summer over a pretty hot humid summer any day!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.