The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Moving on from Sports Trading..

Idea threads

stingz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 7, 2023
Hi,

I'm looking to move away from my current job as a sports trader and was wondering whether anybody could offer any guidance. I'm based in the UK and have been trading sports (horse racing and golf) for over 20 years. I've made good money during these years despite me knowing very little about the sport. You may have the preconceived idea that I'm a risk taker but you couldn't be further from the truth. I'm very risk averse. I trade with a large betting balance, making tiny profits along the way.

I initially started arbitrage trading horse racing during the early days of the betting exchanges (Betfair), alongside my job as an Accountant. I've now been a full time trader for 14 years, but I've noted a decline in profits over each of the past 5 years due to markets becoming more efficient and bookmakers becoming wiser. Every bookmaker has now closed my accounts, as price sensitive (winning) clients are not welcome in the industry.

This led me to betting solely on the exchanges. Unfortunately liquidity has been drying up year-on-year on the exchanges, so whilst everyone has been receiving pay rises over the past few years, my income has declined. That coupled with the rise of robots (betting algorithms), has led me to believe that now is the time to jump ship.

I have thought about transferring my skillset to financial trading but the competition is far more sophisticated there. I have a young family and I'm not getting to spend anytime with them due to the long hours spent trading. I feel that when I'm older I'll look back with regret that 99% of my time was spent with my laptop, and not my children.

So far my list of potential money making ideas consist of a gambling advice, a blog, a book, a small business, financial trading, paraplanner, financial advisor. I'm open to just about anything so long as its scaleable and more in tune with family life. I don't intend to return to accounting anytime soon. I'd appreciate any ideas, thoughts on my next step.

Many Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Hi,

I'm looking to move away from my current job as a sports trader and was wondering whether anybody could offer any guidance. I'm based in the UK and have been trading sports (horse racing and golf) for over 20 years. I've made good money during these years despite me knowing very little about the sport. You may have the preconceived idea that I'm a risk taker but you couldn't be further from the truth. I'm very risk averse. I trade with a large betting balance, making tiny profits along the way.

I initially started arbitrage trading horse racing during the early days of the betting exchanges (Betfair), alongside my job as an Accountant. I've now been a full time trader for 14 years, but I've noted a decline in profits over each of the past 5 years due to markets becoming more efficient and bookmakers becoming wiser. Every bookmaker has now closed my accounts, as price sensitive (winning) clients are not welcome in the industry.

This led me to betting solely on the exchanges. Unfortunately liquidity has been drying up year-on-year on the exchanges, so whilst everyone has been receiving pay rises over the past few years, my income has declined. That coupled with the rise of robots (betting algorithms), has led me to believe that now is the time to jump ship.

I have thought about transferring my skillset to financial trading but the competition is far more sophisticated there. I have a young family and I'm not getting to spend anytime with them due to the long hours spent trading. I feel that when I'm older I'll look back with regret that 99% of my time was spent with my laptop, and not my children.

So far my list of potential money making ideas consist of a gambling advice, a blog, a book, a small business, financial trading, paraplanner, financial advisor. I'm open to just about anything so long as its scaleable and more in tune with family life. I don't intend to return to accounting anytime soon. I'd appreciate any ideas, thoughts on my next step.

Many Thanks
With you skills set and experience friendly arbitrage is an ideal fit. Friendly arbitrage is a game where people make bets on different outcomes and you collect arbiters's fees. For other ideas of starting a business see sections on this forum and bizwarrior.com forum.

If you want ideas about how to become a solopreneur, see this link https://www.publish0x.com/simple-so.../a-simple-way-to-become-a-solopreneur-xxzexow

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.