The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

More Stuff = LESS Happiness?!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
This was a recent segment on 60 minutes.

I've watched this several times already online.

It's worth dealing with the constant commercials to see the whole segment on "happiness".

HINT: Be sure to move the indicator window in the lower left hand corner to "60 Minutes", then select the subsequent videos:

Their Secret
Humiliation Helps?
You Don't Say?
We Can't Have it All
Happiness Defined
Why Americans Are Unhappy
He Practices What He Preaches
5 Easy Steps

(any video gurus here who can make access to these videos easier, PLEASE, do!!!)

Looking forward to a discussion on this! :chatter:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=6462862&ch=4227541&src=news

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Good one Russ, I hadn't seen that show, but I caught this one on 2020 that goes more in depth into the reasons Denmark is the happiest country.

http://i.abcnews.com/2020/story?id=4086092&page=1

It's pretty fascinating, since they have one of the highest taxation levels & very low social status (meaning a garbage working is not "ranked" lower than a doctor in their society). There are some other surprising factors too.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I watched 2 of the video's - and read the article....

Interesting stuff. What follows are my random thoughts, of which hopefully some are somehow related to this topic... if perhaps only by a thread :coffee:

:smxB: I have to wonder how much the media plays a role in the relative "unhappiness" of America (compared with the Danish). It seems that the media tells us time and time again that if we don't look like x and have y and z - - - we just don't measure up..... does that lead to a lack of happiness?

:smx1: After a month in Mexico, hubby and I have noticed how money driven things are back at home. It just wasn't like that in Mexico. Of course, people thought about money - but it wasn't "everything." There were other things that were more important; relationships, etc.

:smxB:It seems that imbalance leads to unhappiness. Too much focus on money will mean a loss in some other area - - relationships or giving back, or a hobby, or creativity. I recently saw a video in which someone said that there are four types of people:
  • Those who want to win
  • Those who want to be liked
  • Those who want comfort
  • Those who want to be right

I was left thinking... What about those who want to Leave a Legacy? Those that want to Make A Difference. Those that want to Be Happy?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
What makes you happy, Bear?

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
These are great videos ... took me a few days to get thru them all. I recommend anyone viewing this thread to take a few minutes and review them.

Overall, I agree with the premise and the claims of the professor.

Personally, I know all the superficial drama in my life is the result of *stuff* ... at one time, I simultaneously owned a Lamborghini Diablo and a Viper - the maintenance on these cars was such a hassle (driving them to the repair shop, getting a ride home, getting a tow truck) that many times, the drama of owning them outweighed the fun of ownership.

Similarly, my *dream house* has been a great source of drama in my life. It is self-induced -- no one says I need the big house on the hill with the drop-dead view and a pool. I will admit it has caused distention trying to mold this house into my dream house. It has been anything but a dream!

Speed for the post+

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
. . . there are four types of people:
  • Those who want to win
  • Those who want comfort
I was left thinking... What about those who want to Leave a Legacy? Those that want to Make A Difference. Those that want to Be Happy?
I think you can usually take some of those a step further to get the answer to your question. e.g. WHY do they want to win? Answer: To achieve xyz in order that they may Leave a Legacy.

Tony Robbins goes into a great deal of detail in his exercise to help you determine then define your core values. Continue to ask yourself, "but WHY do I want that?" until you finally arrive at a feeling. That is your core value. The challenges come when you have conflicting values. For instance, I value comfort. I also value accomplishment/success.

To reconcile these, I had to come to the realization that I want to succeed in order that I may buy more creature comforts (more comfortable car, house, airplane seat, hotel suite, custom made clothing, etc.) Therefore, I will have to put my "comfort" on the backburner for now, and get off the couch and get UNcomfortable in order to have that thing I desire - comfort - a permanent thing in my life.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Good one Russ, I hadn't seen that show, but I caught this one on 2020 that goes more in depth into the reasons Denmark is the happiest country.

http://i.abcnews.com/2020/story?id=4086092&page=1

It's pretty fascinating, since they have one of the highest taxation levels & very low social status (meaning a garbage working is not "ranked" lower than a doctor in their society). There are some other surprising factors too.

It seems that the reason behind their happiness, (at least professionally) is because they have their priorities in order and they don't let their job title define them. That being said, I think anyone who embraced those two points would increase their level of happiness.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
After watching the full version on 60 Minutes last night, I realized that the Danes, were actually the most "content" people in the world. However the survey was defined, I think that they skewed the results from happiness to contentment.

I would say that the two are certainly not the same. Many successful people could be extremely happy, but are not necessarily content.

Wanting happiness is probably universal, whereas contentment is probably not something that everyone would agree that they desire.

I have a piece of software that I use in my business which actually puts a score to a word based on how effective it is as a selling phrase (done by performing statistical analysis from known to be profitable advertising) and here are the results for the two words:

content - Score: -10
happy - Score: 49

contentment - Score: 5
happiness - Score: 80

Seems like we do respond quite differently to each of the words.

[btw...one of the highest scoring phrases in the tool: "discover happiness, results guaranteed" 238 :) ]

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Jon Lee Hacker said:
. . . one of the highest scoring phrases in the tool is: "discover happiness, results guaranteed" score: 238

Ooh, ooh, where do I click!!! :D

Seriously, Jon, I'd love to see your tool.

No wait. That didn't come out the way I wanted it to . . . :smxE:

Lemme rephrase: Since we do PPC, seeing what our phrases are most powerful would be helpful.

There, that's better. :banana:

-Russ H.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
www.wordtracker.com is another good source for seeing what people are searching for and how many times its searched.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Ooh, ooh, where do I click!!! :D

Seriously, Jon, I'd love to see your tool.

No wait. That didn't come out the way I wanted it to . . . :smxE:

Lemme rephrase: Since we do PPC, seeing what our phrases are most powerful would be helpful.

There, that's better. :banana:

-Russ H.

Glad you clarified that! :)

Here's the sales page: http://webtrafficconverter.com/copy/

The software is called GLYPHIUS if you want to google for some reviews.

I'm just running out the door, but when I get home, I'll send you the old version to play with. I don't use it since I upgraded, and it will give you the idea, however if you like it I'd recommend going for the new one, since the data has been updated.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Jill said:
Tony Robbins goes into a great deal of detail in his exercise to help you determine then define your core values. Continue to ask yourself, "but why do I want that?" until you finally arrive at a feeling. That is your core value. The challenges come when you have conflicting values. For instance, I value comfort. I also value accomplishment/success.

To reconcile these, I had to come to the realization that I want to succeed in order that I my buy more creature comforts (more comfortable car, house, airplane seat, hotel suite, custom made clothing, etc.) Therefore, I will have to put my "comfort" on the backburner for now, and get off the couch and get UNcomfortable in order to have that thing I desire - comfort - a permanent thing in my life.

Rep speed for this, Jill. :)

These are the kinds of things that we've been working on in the PLAN thread.

That's why it's so important to ask these questions.

Absolutely brilliant "aha" for you.

Sometimes, to get where we want to go, the journey is much faster if we take it through areas where we *don't* want to be.

Like dealing with and overcoming fear-- as much as I didn't want to deal with it, learning to quiet my demons was the best thing I ever did to accelerate my journey.

Made it much more fun, too. :smx2:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
CarrieW, Jorge, and Jon Lee-

Many thanks for the links!

I will use them. :)

-Russ H.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I would say that the two are certainly not the same. Many successful people could be extremely happy, but are not necessarily content.

Well, I hope never to be content.
If I feel I've done everything I want to do,
why would I look forward to tomorrow?
My version of Hell is where everything is "perfect."

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
My version of Hell is where everything is "perfect."

This is why the first version of the Matrix didn't worked and had to be upgraded into a non-perfect world :cool:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Russ, bad news...my tool is awol!! :)

It's been 2 years since I used the old version and during the last computer upgrade I must have figured that I'd never use is again since I have the new version...drag.

If you send me some of your AdWords campaigns I'll score them for you and you can get an idea of what it can do...PM me [unlike you I accept them :) ]

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Will do.

Thanks, Jon. :)

-Russ H.

T

TheGreatBear

What makes you happy, Bear?

-Russ H.

I dunno, I'm content with everything except my finances(and knowledge and skills), which will always have room for improvement.
But I'm pretty content with life the way it is now. Improvements can always be made but I don't feel I lack much.
EDIT: A beautiful piece of classic music definitely cheers me. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFtL9vE6p0"]YouTube - Antonio Vivaldi - Violin Concerto in E Minor - Allegro[/ame] for a sample:)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
:smxB:It seems that imbalance leads to unhappiness. Too much focus on money will mean a loss in some other area - - relationships or giving back, or a hobby, or creativity. I recently saw a video in which someone said that there are four types of people:
  • Those who want to win
  • Those who want comfort

What I was getting at here is that focusing on one area particularly if it is...

• I want to keep up with the Jones
  • I want to have the latest, biggest, greatest thing
  • I want........ more stuff

certainly could lead to unhappiness. Perhaps those that have "more stuff" are so focused on the feeling of WANT that it could easily slide into the feeling of unhappiness.

As one gets closer to the CORE VALUE ..... the deeper meaning by following Jill's exercise below..... then perhaps the "stuff" becomes less important and the core value brings fulfillment and happiness.

Continue to ask yourself, "but WHY do I want that?" until you finally arrive at a feeling. That is your core value.

Love this Jill. Great way to get to your own core value!

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I recently saw a video in which someone said that there are four types of people:
  • Those who want to win
  • Those who want comfort

Oddly enough, the four quadrants listed above are based on Carl Young (SP?) four personality types. The company I work for is doing a team building exercise and this is the foundation for communicating effectively. Each personality type is represented by a colour:

Red: Those who want to win - Professionally conservative, like to be in control, early adopters, enjoy the fight, want to know the bottom line - Happiness means taking control or winning.

Yellow: Those who want to be liked - these are the people who take the most risks, extremely open and touchie. They are the early adopters and have the neatest things. Happiness is doing new and exciting things in a group - being the centre of attention.

Green: Those who want comfort - Like to blend into the crowd, open yet cautious with people, don't like to fight, acceptance is very important - Happiness is spending time with family and friends

Blue: Those who want to be right - very practical and logical, organized. Do not like conflict and think things through before action. Happiness is learning something new.

Within all of these personality types, they can all want to leave a legacy, or make a difference or be happy; they will just do them differently

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks, Bear.

I played violin for years when I was younger (a *lot* younger!), so I can definitely relate to your love of classical music.

A good Beethoven piano concerto, a Mozart opera, or a Bach string quartet and I'm a happy guy. :)

-Russ H.

PS Given my past, I do have a soft spot for violin concerti . . . :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pkRH2DZuw"]YouTube - Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade (1/5)[/ame]

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
How about this:

You are exactly where you want to be

Think about it - every decision you make led you to where you are. Unless someone forced you to do something, you have forced yourself to do it, or choose not to do it.

And less is more, clothes - cars, houses, things. 20% of things around you make 80% of your life, so why expend energy on the nonessentials?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Oddly enough, the four quadrants listed above are based on Carl Young (SP?) four personality types. The company I work for is doing a team building exercise and this is the foundation for communicating effectively. Each personality type is represented by a colour:

Ah, maybe that is where this idea came from in the video. I don't know why.... it just rubbed me the wrong way. I guess I don't really like "classifying" people - - -

I like what you said - - - they don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I suppose I could break out my armpit harmonica . . .

Haven't played that since 3rd grade, though. :)

-Russ H.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e7D6-oFAnw"]YouTube - Chris Makin' Armpit Music[/ame]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.