The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money is Not Everything

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Hi guys,

Thought I'd want to come in here today and share something I recently learned.

The topic is:

Money is not everything.

How many of us have read stories of billionaires, who when asked about how they made their billions, answered to the lines of: "I didn't even think about making a billion when I started"?

This may not be related to the Fast Lane. Or perhaps it may be. In either case, I thought this is super valuable to me and think it'd be nice to share it here with you.

Recently, I got to drive a GTR R35.

One of the top 5 fastest cars in the world. A friend of mine who has an incredibly wealthy family decided he's going to sell it. And the other day we spent time together, I got the chance to give it a drive. The reason he's selling it?

He said he was tired of it. What did he want in place of it? A Megane RS, manual. About 270 horsepower, compared to the 500+ horsepower GTR.

What? Going from a super car to a Renault?

And we're talking about a guy who if he wanted, he could have easily gotten a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Porsche instead. His reason? "I want something low profile, and it's a less overpowered manual so the driving experience will be more engaging."

You see, why did I want to share about this?

Every day, billions of people around the world think that money will give them happiness. While I think money can provide comfort, and yes, it's a tool that if used right can provide happiness, I don't think it is the key to happiness. I had to emphasize this again:

Money is not the key to happiness.

How many people out there living every day, will do whatever in their power to cheat, manipulate, play politics, and hurt others just to make money, thinking that if they've earned their fortune they would finally be happy?

How many people out there living every day, will admire that rich guy driving the Lamborghini, the Ferrari, the Porsche, thinking man, he's so lucky, and their hearts ache because they'd want the same for themselves too?

Little did they know...

That to the rich, on the next week or so when they first own these super cars and drive it, the thrill of the car has already dumbed down to just a cool new possession. We can ask MJ and the many other multi-millionaires on this forum to confirm it.

The car has never been the actual cause of their happiness, and is never the cause of their fulfillment. It has never been any of the rich's deepest happiness. If there's lasting happiness created by the super car they've purchased, it's only made available when as a result of having that super car - they were able to make others happy or there is a personal sentimental reason to it.

So what are we really driving at?

The reason why I'm writing this now, is to hopefully provide someone who've read this post a reason to pause and ponder, with a wish that you'd be able to achieve greater success in life. Even though the goal to Fast Lane is to make money, do also give a thought to the reason why you want to make money.

Maturity and wisdom is what will really help us to achieve what we want in life, and hopefully this post will be able to help you with that a little bit more.

Aiming to just make money blindly, will not only prevent you from making it, it will also prevent you from ever really enjoying it.

When I driven the GTR, what went on inside my mind? It was actually this: "Shit, this is one of the top 5 fastest cars in the world, a car that beats Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Porsches - and that's it?" I didn't feel anything special. It was fast, sure. But the experience was not that far from driving a normal car that's amped up with more speed, or more control. I meant this from an experiential sense, instead of from a comparison or review point. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, I'd imagine that they'd be able to provide a more comfortable experience, but nonetheless they couldn't be that far apart.

Would I ever get a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Porsche? Sure, if I had more than enough then to just squander a bit. But will it really give me happiness to own any of them? At this point, I'd say it's like owning a iPhone 6. You'd think it's cool, but it's just another possession.

The wealthy has been saying this all the time. But very few really notice what they meant.

They meant it literally. Their possessions have never been anything special.

Rather, it's the little human things we appreciate like spending good and sincere time with friends, family, the people you love, offering value to others, leaving the world with something meaningful which are the things that really matters, and that contribute to happiness.

It's not your ability in leveraging your employees to accomplish your goal that's what will make you happy. It's things like even when working, you were able to allow employees to feel fun working, and you allow them to spend a good time working together with you and bond with you that's going to make you happy. It's chasing after a goal fervously and with great hunger together with your trusted team to make a powerful impact in others' lives, that is going to make you happy. It's the feelings involved throughout the progress, the progress, that's going to make you happy. It's how what you're doing going to positively affect others, on what scale, what kind of challenges you aim to trump over, and that whole process of doing it that's going to make you happy. It's a mother's love for her child, it's life experiences enjoyed with people who are sincere, and you get to live life as real and give as much effort to life as you can, that is going to make you happy.

It's your contributions. It's your being. That's going to make you happy.

So, what do you want money for?

Make it meaningful.

The more you can make real value available to others, the more happy you'll be, and the more abundant the money you'll receive.

Material wealth is cool, but what's even better, is that we can breathe out our last breath knowing we've had a most amazing life while we are alive.

This kind of happiness doesn't come from being selfish. It comes from maturity.

When you have this kind of maturity, you'll want to appreciate what's really nice.

Even if it's a Megane RS over a GTR, just because you know, you'll sincerely enjoy that even more.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Rich is certainly better Vigilante.

I have written this with the intention to help those whose focus is entirely given to money.

Because when they're able to shift their focus to providing value, to offer what matters in life to others, they'll realize there's a lot more success, happiness and beauty there too.

decaobr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 25, 2013
Money is not the key to happiness.

Saying that money is not the key to happiness, is the same thing that saying:

Health is not the key to happiness.

It's impossible to be fulfilled ( and happy ) without money, unless you settle for less.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

decaobr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 25, 2013
money.jpg

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
I guess I rushed too fast at completing the post.

A fully mature person will know the importance of money.

This post is dedicated to those whose focus is too narrowly focused on money, so as to take actions that prevent them from it, or from being able to appreciate it.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Money is nothing more than a problem that needs to be solved.

Ironlung

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
480%
Sep 22, 2014
Arizona
Interesting post Zen Focus, and some of the things you mentioned hit home with me. By all means I was never "super rich" but at my height I did bring home about $900,000 a year.

I have a wife and 3 kids. My oldest daughter (whom I now have an awesome relationship with) when she was younger, I couldn't tell you a teacher's name she had, her favorite color or food, or what the inside of her school looked like. I honestly think at that point I didn't really "care". My wife was a stay at home mom and I felt coming home everyday meant I was spending time with my kids.

It wasn't until I lost alot of my income that I began to really reflect on life, finances and family. I had it all wrong in the beginning.. I thought that money could buy my and other's happiness. I thought that buying my daughter the latest and greatest "stuff" would go farther than just taking her to dinner and a movie. I have two athletes in my family, one just retired from the NBA and the other is a boxer. Both whom have millions of dollars, and it's like I was trying in some weird way to "compete" with them to prove to family and friends I had "arrived".

I come from an awesome family, so part of me was still grounded, but I really began to worship money and everything it purchased. I currently don't even bring home a third of what I use to but I happier than ever with an awesome wife and 3 beautiful children that I have a solid and involved relationship with. I take my daughter to HS everyday, I know all of her teachers, show up to all the footballs games she cheers at and it feels INCREDIBLE.

Now, this is just MY story, I'm sure other could have juggled money and family way better than I did, but I just felt the need to chime in on your interesting post.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
There is a Greek philosophy Eudaimonia, which translated as happiness or the "good life".

The "good life" consist of five things.

Health, Wealth, Love, Happiness, and Higher Purpose

Life is very much like a chicken soup. If you want a good chicken soup it better be a mixture of everything inside, not just the chicken.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
This post is meant to raise its readers' mindset.

And I write this not to a bunch of forum readers, but to real people.

I'm glad it resonated with you Ironlung.

Our retail brand is #1 in the industry we're in, and we serve celebrities and high status personalities every day. My partner and I are currently starting 2 other new ventures, one technological/manufacturer based, and another F&B based. For me, it's things like creating technology that changes how people live, or aiming to be a Michelin star restauranteer that's going to make me happy. If either of these is accomplished, there will be certainly rewards of wealth. However, the money is not what will satisfy me. The money will be a damn good tool for me to accomplish more of those incredible accomplishments.

Competitors are trying hard to make money, so they are often mediocre.

I wrote this post hoping to inspire those still thinking that making money is the most important thing, to shift their focus, so that they will be able to achieve success at the level of those who are truly wealthy, and who enjoys that wealth.

This post is written to help:

1.) People who want to make money, but whose focus is on money alone so they will most probably fail in being really successful.
2.) People who have already made the money, but who feels there's more to life than this.

In 1.), they will need to focus on what matters, and be mature enough to think of a venture that can truly offer value to the people. If they're able to understand what matters, chances are they'll be able to make it happen, and run their venture in a way that delivers a large impact - hence be successful.

In 2.), I meant to share this so they can resonate. Perhaps they can consider starting a venture that can be meaningful to them. Perhaps they can change their employees' working environment from a purely corporate one to a more human one, etc. Because what counts in life isn't money. More often than not, starting a venture and running it in a way that makes them happy often creates a successful business, and they gain even more money and happiness than they previously could.

Last edited:

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Money is not everything, but in 95% of instances when I had something going wrong in my life the answer was never a hug, a kiss, a good word, or anything like that. It was the US Dollar that solved the problem.

I understand your post, and Ironlung's post, but money is such an important part of life in regard to surviving and living life. I wish it wasn't but it is. We need it to sustain the vision of our lives.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Determined - if you thought of money like that, chances are you'll continue to have a difficulty with it.

Being able to make money is as a result of being independent of it, knowing and trusting that with your efforts, thinking and your being you'll solve the problems. That's how you offer value, in the first place.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
100% agree with this, and have been thinking about it more and more. The problem is, people chasing money think that when you say "Money doesn't equal happiness", you're saying poor people are happier, money is evil, etc.

At the end of the day, I think freedom is what brings happiness. Freedom to do whatever you want to do, whether that means helping others, building businesses, robbing people or being coked out of your mind buying new hookers every week. This is why someone who lives a simple life and works the hours they want on their own little business, gets to see their family often and has much more free time can truly be happy, while someone making millions working 120 hours a week, can't see their family and is worried about crushing business debt can be miserable. One is free, the other isn't. The guy working 120 hours can also truly be happy if that's what makes him so.

Money gives you the freedom to truly do what you want to do and what makes you happy, without worrying about debt, health, etc. but if you have no idea what makes you happy, you'll be like the lottery winners who end up broke and miserable again. You never determined your "why", and no amount of money will make you find it, since money in and of itself is just the tool that liberates you to pursue it.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I didn't say I had difficulty with money! I said when I had problems that money was used over 95% of the time to solve those problems. I use money efficiently and effective most times.

I am learning now about money, and how to leverage it and make it work for you and the control and power that being money wise affords someone.

I think you have perceived my words in a way which was not intended; and maybe I wasn't clear.

I don't believe that I can survive (in a "normal/regular" quality of life) in this world with out money. I don't think anyone can. If so, I would really love to hear how!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And I write this not to a bunch of forum readers, but to real people.

I don't understand. Are forum people not real people?

I generally reject the "money doesn't buy happiness" argument but understand the take. Once you forget about money and focus on value and contribution, the money will follow. Money is icing, value is the cake. Those who focus on the icing have an empty life. Those who focus on the cake live full.

The more you can make real value available to others, the more happy you'll be, and the more abundant the money you'll receive.

Good TL;DR here.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Money definitely can't make you happy, just like nothing can make a person happy. Money is access to resources, and resources help you live your life the way you like.

People don't enjoy it when they don't have food, or have to work a crappy job to feed themselves and their families.

Likewise, being in shape doesn't make you happy, but I definitely love how I see six-pack abs whenever I look in the mirror. If I was out of shape, I would never be able to accept it, and would be doing everything in the power of Buddha to get myself in shape.

You mentioned your friend chose to sell his GTR. The car itself provides little well-being. I know lots of wealthy people who drive modest cars by choice. But I'm sure your friend is a lot happier that he has all his basics needs met (assuming with him being wealthy), and he can CHOOSE to not drive a GTR then not being able to drive one.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
I don't understand. Are forum people not real people?

I generally reject the "money doesn't buy happiness" argument but understand the take. Once you forget about money and focus on value and contribution, the money will follow. Money is icing, value is the cake. Those who focus on the icing have an empty life. Those who focus on the cake live full.

Good TL;DR here.

I was trying to ground the mood of those who were reading this post by that statement. Mindset affects things. Oftentimes people choose to be funny with what they read online, because it's online. They take on a cyber identity instead of being mature in observing how what's shared can possibly affect them.

It's interesting. The people who were able to appreciate this post were few. What I've shared was a valuable lesson to me, it was like a "click" of enlightenment when thinking about what made us successful, and how our mindsets have always been. In our retail brand, we've been breaking records and our employees are our best friends to hang out with. We take company trips regularly and it's always together with the team, and we're able to plot big plans and make them happen because of it.

This post is not about the unimportance of money. It is the importance of being aware during the strive for money.

The people who think that this post relates to me supporting that money is not important is a reflection of how many people in the world are still ignorant during their strive for money. I've always believed that the 5 closest people you spend the most time with becomes you. And around me are friends of royalty bloodlines, billionaire families, inspiring personalities and tons of books. By spending my time with them, I never stop for a second to observe and learn. Eventually I realized there are differences between the newly-rich and old money. The rich, and the really, really rich. To the latter, luxuries have become such a norm that they wanted something that gives them heartbeats instead. The chase of money is not everything. Living life in a meaningful way is.

Too many people just blindly strive for money, instead of giving some thought to what would happen if they got all the money they want that way. They allowed ego to blind them from creating and having happiness not just for themselves but also for others. Life is short. Before long we'll realize how short of a time we have, and then all those material possessions and selfish enjoyments would all just turn meaningless.

I come from a poor family, my father being a pastor, and my mom a teacher. By right, I should have understood the pains of being poor more. Yes, more than most people here. The aches of envying others who had the luxury cars, and living the great life? Yes, I've experience that pain deeply. But what's funny is, all those feelings have dulled now. Sure, money is important and all these material possessions have their lure, but now they only seem to be value on the surface. Once I was able to buy almost anything I want, and this went on again and again, I realized it's not the food, the trips, the time spent on myself that makes me happy. It was the food, trips and time spent on others that makes me happy.

People spend hours working in a day hoping that the destination would make them happy.

No, when you reach the destination suddenly everything will seem not as amazing as you would thought it'll be.

If that's the case, what's amazing?

The experiences, during the progress of making money. That's more valuable than anything - and if you're spending that many hours of your life making money, why not make it really, exciting, and worth doing?

Last edited:

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Great post!

Here are the Twelve Riches in Life as outline in the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

1. Positive mental attitude
2. Sound Physical Health
3. Harmony in human relations
4. Freedom from fear
5. The hope of future achievements
6. The capacity for applied faith
7. Willingness to share ones blessings with others
8. To be engaged in the labor of love
9. An open mind on all subjects towards all people
10. Complete self discipline
11. Wisdom with which to understand people
12. Financial security

Notice money is at the bottom? Mr. Hill have spoken and interviewed with hundreds if not thousands of ultra mega successful people, the Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Larry Elison, the Waltons, and Zuckerberg's of his time, and these are the patterns he found. Hill himself found his fortune following these foundations.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The people who were able to appreciate this post were few

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...trategy-and-what-i-learned.55086/#post-399881

Read that if you want your mind blown :)
Hint: its about following the rabbithole you presented here

Too many people just blindly strive for money, instead of giving some thought to what would happen if they got all the money they want that way. They allowed ego to blind them from creating and having happiness not just for themselves but also for others.

Its sad isn't it.

The experiences, during the progress of making money. That's more valuable than anything - and if you're spending that many hours of your life making money, why not make it really, exciting, and worth doing?

You want to hear something really cruel?
There is no good experience making money for me...

Its all old hat, I've been successful before in my life. I did this out of necessity.
There is no reward. Only the slaying of a beast.

Thats it.

If business is your first time outside the matrix, I agree with you totally, but whats truly f'd up, is that for some, it is just unnecessary burden. Be appreciative that you found joy in it.

I find only egotistical BS from people that don't get what you are saying here bro

Respect to you for getting what matters, and the rock solid attitude you have.
You'll be a happy man, don't shrink just cuz others have a different view or angle they enjoy.

Money is a burden to me. But I'm not a light weight, I can handle it.
Thats how I feel.

I also feel that your outlook rocks, keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The people who were able to appreciate this post were few. What I've shared was a valuable lesson to me, it was like a "click" of enlightenment when thinking about what made us successful, and how our mindsets have always been. In our retail brand, we've been breaking records and our employees are our best friends to hang out with. We take company trips regularly and it's always together with the team, and we're able to plot big plans and make them happen because of it.

This post is not about the unimportance of money. It is the importance of being aware during the strive for money.

This guy reminded me of the simple tweak that skyrocketed my biz into the 6-figure range. A girl found me on Craigslist and really liked my stuff so she started referring me to other commercial accounts and things went viral for me within the startup community. I ended up being the "go to" company for startups throughout the Bay Area.

This tweak can be broken down into an exact science.

If you look at an atom under a high powered microscope, you'll see that it is vibrating A LOT. Since we are made up of trillions of atoms, our body actually gives off a certain vibration that other people's subconscious can pick up on. Our conscious mind doesn't even realize it's happening.

I basically aligned my mindset with a position of pure love for others. No lie. This changed it all. My vibration changed over time and people began to view me as the guy who was willing to take a loss if it meant the customer would end up happy. Sales increased and more referrals came...all from this vibration of love in its purest form. It wasn't about being a cold cash taker. It was about heart.

99% of people have a vibration of fear, jealousy, anger, bitterness, envy, and disappointment. All of these vibrations, even fear, can reversed by mastering the idea of genuinely loving others. You can easily determine your vibration by observing your reactions towards others. How do you feel when you see someone becoming successful? How do you feel when you see someone fail?

I once hated picking up the phone to talk to strangers. It didn't feel natural to me. Over time, I started to realize that it didn't feel natural because there was a hint of greed in my heart that wanted to extract money from them. I wasn't in alignment with my heart and whenever that's the case, it's like fighting an endless battle because I was doing something that wasn't at peace with my core. At this point in my life, there is zero attachment to money. Just provide a quality product that gives REAL value and TRUST that the universe will take care of everything else.

When I chose to be in alignment with my heart and the concept of pure love for others, the idea of calling people was no longer a fear that had to be conquered. Instead of battling the fear and overcoming it, it was completely bypassed. The process of calling people became a PLEASURE because it felt the same as calling Aunt Sally to ask if I could help her mow the lawn. The process of calling people felt RESISTANCE FREE and it was all due to being rooted in love. Everyone in the world is viewed as my brother and sister. As cheesy as it sounds, love will free you.

Zen Focus Thank you for posting this thread, you are one seriously enlightened and conscious person.
I wonder if SteveO has thoughts on this spiritual side to business...:tiphat:

I also wonder if MJ DeMarco will be touching on the concept of alignment in his 2nd book.;)

Alignment is the secret sauce. I'm willing to bet money that MJ would've shut down this forum a long time ago if it wasn't rooted in his values and mission. It takes an incredible amount of time and energy to manage this place.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Dear Rogue,

This is one of the reasons why I've written this post.

It's also meant to say, there can be a good experience making money. But the goal, preferably shouldn't just solely revolve around it, or else the founder would be missing out on too much. So there is an alternative, which is to make even the experience of making money enjoyable - this can be done in several ways:

1.) Run a venture that you personally feel will be meaningful to do
2.) Run it in a way that encourages the everyday human beauty, e.g. Encourage a truly team based environment, focus on the happiness of your employees - who in turn will keep customers happy (Employees as top priority, customers second, shareholders third)
3.) Run the business with a very human touch
4.) Run the business to achieve a very large impact that positively affects others
5.) Run the business to enable others to experience more of what you appreciate, and be the most persistent stickler at it, etc.

The end result is truly offering value. And money will naturally be a part of it.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
This guy reminded me of the simple tweak that skyrocketed my biz into the 6-figure range. A girl found me on Craigslist and really liked my stuff so she started referring me to other commercial accounts and things went viral for me within the startup community. I ended up being the "go to" company for startups throughout the Bay Area.

This tweak can be broken down into an exact science.

If you look at an atom under a high powered microscope, you'll see that it is vibrating A LOT. Since we are made up of trillions of atoms, our body actually gives off a certain vibration that other people's subconscious can pick up on. Our conscious mind doesn't even realize it's happening.

I basically aligned my mindset with a position of pure love for others. No lie. This changed it all. My vibration changed over time and people began to view me as the guy who was willing to take a loss if it meant the customer would end up happy. Sales increased and more referrals came...all from this vibration of love in its purest form. It wasn't about being a cold cash taker. It was about heart.

99% of people have a vibration of fear, jealousy, anger, bitterness, envy, and disappointment. All of these vibrations, even fear, can reversed by mastering the idea of genuinely loving others. You can easily determine your vibration by observing your reactions towards others. How do you feel when you see someone becoming successful? How do you feel when you see someone fail?

I once hated picking up the phone to talk to strangers. It didn't feel natural to me. Over time, I started to realize that it didn't feel natural because there was a hint of greed in my heart that wanted to extract money from them. I wasn't in alignment with my heart and whenever that's the case, it's like fighting an endless battle because I was doing something that wasn't at peace with my core. At this point in my life, there is zero attachment to money. Just provide a quality product that gives REAL value and TRUST that the universe will take care of everything else.

When I chose to be in alignment with my heart and the concept of pure love for others, the idea of calling people was no longer a fear that had to be conquered. Instead of battling the fear and overcoming it, it was completely bypassed. The process of calling people became a PLEASURE because it felt the same as calling Aunt Sally to ask if I could help her mow the lawn. The process of calling people felt RESISTANCE FREE and it was all due to being rooted in love. Everyone in the world is viewed as my brother and sister. As cheesy as it sounds, love will free you.

Zen Focus Thank you for posting this thread, you are one seriously enlightened and conscious person.
I wonder if SteveO has thoughts on this spiritual side to business...:tiphat:

I also wonder if MJ DeMarco will be touching on the concept of alignment in his 2nd book.;)

Alignment is the secret sauce. I'm willing to bet money that MJ would've shut down this forum a long time ago if it wasn't rooted in his values and mission. It takes an incredible amount of time and energy to manage this place.
That's exactly right.

What IceCreamKid said is from experience.

If start-up founders and entrepreneurs are able to understand this, they'd be able to create something truly amazing and be successful at it.

Be true to yourself, and express what you truly appreciate even in your business. Don't be fake for money.

Even being real, and talking to the average lady just like you'd treat Aunt Sally is one of the things called providing value. You're offering others a real experience in a widely materialistic world filled with surface acting.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I rather be sad in a Lambo than happy in a honda. That's the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
This is going to come off as annoyingly cynical, but take it how you will. I really don't see how this concept relates to the actual act of making money, as long as cash is going into my bank account. The reason you should provide value to your customers, as far as I can tell, is because that's the only way they'll buy. They're not stupid, and they can't be tricked for too long if you aren't giving them something they need. It has nothing to do with loving them. I give free things to people I love.

If you want proof that you don't need to be a highly personable, loving, affectionate person to make money, look at your heroes. Mark Cuban told James Altucher on his podcast "My first passion was making money. I focused on finding ways to do that, and threw myself into it." Was 20-something-year-old Bill Gates a compassionate, caring person? Hardly. Steve Jobs? Kevin O'leary? These people provided value, but not out of the kindness of their hearts.

Everything has a method. Those who master the method will be at the top. It just so happens that the more selfless, caring method seems to work out these days more often than not. Maybe one day that will change, and the selfish, cynical bastards of the world will be telling us all to use up our customers for every penny like the worthless scum they are, etc. My guess is the best way to reach the level of someone like @IceCreamKid is to emulate his method, and leave the spiritual stuff to the spiritual guys.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.