The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mj This Is Not Fair

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Alright MJ and all you guys, this is not fair.:smxE: After B&P I try to go do my work and all I can think about are more ideas and how would they work. It's harder to focus on what I'm doing! See what you have done now. I guess I'll just have to put some of those ideas to work so I can get some peace. :rofl: Cheers to you all.:cheers:

Runum:fastlane:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Greg:

I know what you mean!

I went home, and updated my BizPlan Builder to version 10.

I put in an offer on the 32-unit apartment building I spoke of.

I located a great property for a Self-Storage business ($175k for over 2 acres).

And I've been trying to isolate a couple of products for a Biophase-style online business.

Did I ever mention that these gatherings are the best $99 you could ever spend?

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bobbo said:
Did I ever mention that these gatherings are the best $99 you could ever spend?

Ah, for you, Bob, this $99 is an absolute steal.

For some other guys, it just means 2 less trips to Hooters. :nonod:

-Russ H.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And I've been trying to isolate a couple of products for a Biophase-style online business.
:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

I better not see any new online stores from NY selling my suits!!!

:boxing_smiley:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I spent all day yesterday driving around the thrift stores, looking and buying you-know-what.
Also got a potential home-run deal in the works
and my productivity at work has been at its lowest point since the get-together from last year.
Go figure!!!
$99 is a steal, especially as my roommate has not sent me the bill for my portion of the hotel cost, so yes, literally a steal (by the way, roommate, bill me or I will spend that money in thrift stores all around the DC Area :D)
bob, is he insurable? did you find out yet?

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
and my productivity at work has been at its lowest point since the get-together from last year.

Wow, I can relate to that! I truly understand the expression "I had to quit my job to get rich" after B/P weekend.

When I got home, my wife and I discussed how much I felt having a JOB was slowing me down. I've always felt that way, but I think she actually agrees with me now. I've got to revisit my plan to refocus on the short term so that I can get out of there....So I can get rich fastlane style.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I too have really hit the ground running since I've been home. This has been somewhat easy to do, as I find myself not being able to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time, due to ideas and solutions that fill my head.

I sat with a friend the other night a did a vision board, and came to the realization that what motivated me is freedom and the challenge of bringing an idea to life. Her board was full of tangible items: yellow corvette, summer home, etc. None of that moves me- which lead to a spiral of self-doubt, "is it problematic that I am driven to create profitable businesses, when the actual profit doesn't motivate me? How driven am I really? I could have freedom now, but would I have the lifestyle that I want (or that my husband wants)?"

Long story short, I decided that my "bucket list" is what really motivates me. I have decided to dedicate myself to our website idea, as well as to fulfilling my bucket list. So far, I have signed up to teach English/reading to adults a couple of hours a week, and my brother and I are planning that road trip.

The biggest milestone has been that I emailed my resignation today. I have so much adreneline pumping through me I could probably flip over a car. The last day of my job will be the first day of my life, and I can't wait.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Her board was full of tangible items: yellow corvette, summer home, etc. None of that moves me- which lead to a spiral of self-doubt, "is it problematic that I am driven to create profitable businesses, when the actual profit doesn't motivate me? How driven am I really?"

What an interesting situation. Success for success' sake, instead of consumption!? Very cool.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
bob, is he insurable? did you find out yet?

Not yet.

My first calls will be to see if I can move the kitchens to the space in the basement.

Going from 32 rooms to 40 will be the equivelant of getting a 25% rent increase.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Wow, I can relate to that! I truly understand the expression "I had to quit my job to get rich" after B/P weekend.

When I got home, my wife and I discussed how much I felt having a JOB was slowing me down. I've always felt that way, but I think she actually agrees with me now. I've got to revisit my plan to refocus on the short term so that I can get out of there....So I can get rich fastlane style.

Edge,

I'll be honest, I didn't understand several parts of your presentation. However, listening to you talk, it seems like you feel you have a good edge on the market. If this is the case, it seems as though you'd be costing yourself a lot of money having a job. I don't know stocks very well at all, but if I were you and felt I had an edge, I'd do whatever I could to push my edge, and maximize my profits. You mentioned not wanting to take too big of risks, and I understood the part where you spoke about doing a trade several ways to reduce variance. Have you ever broken down complex risk of ruin calculations based on different trade strategies? In other words, have you sat down and broken down the type of variance you would have given trading to maximize expected value, compared to what your variance would be in relation to your bankroll? That's the first thing I would do if I were you, because you should be able to find a spot where your risk of ruin is very little, yet be able to maximize the money you make, and based on the numbers you buy at you should almost be able to figure out how much you will make. If you figure that out, all you should need to do is figure out at what $$ amount you start buying additional shares per purchase, and your profits should be pretty much uncapped as you move up, because the game stays the same.

Like I said, I don't know the stock game, but when I was looking into doing futures I did something along the lines of this and figured what I needed in my bankroll to purchase X amount of contracts, and at what point I could purchase additional contracts.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I sat with a friend the other night a did a vision board, and came to the realization that what motivated me is freedom and the challenge of bringing an idea to life. Her board was full of tangible items: yellow corvette, summer home, etc. None of that moves me

That's the issue I have.
When I first started out, I had tangible rewards
(owning our own home, being able to go on a few nice vacations a year,
having the ability to quit the day job if we wanted, etc).
It was easy to get motivated.
I had a concrete dollar goal, a timeline, and a tangible reward at the end.

Now, our goal of "more" is a little too fuzzy.
Sure I have net worth goals with timelines
but there's no juicy carrot upon reaching them.
I guess what I'm struggling with is purpose.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I like the idea in the 4 hour work week.... set 6 month goals or dreams.

It is one thing to say "I want to travel"
It is another to say "I want to be in Paris by Oct 1st."

Somehow, this short list has replaced the "larger picture" and become the source of inspiration for me.

This is what I have on my short list...

Take Spanish Classes
Go to a medatative retreat
Learn to Spin (wool)
Write a Novel
Adopt a Child
Hike the Continental Divide
Raise some Sheep

Here are some things I know will be on my "short list" in the future...

Build a Learning Center in my town
Go to Norway
Learn to Quilt
Go to Panama
Sail.... somewhere????
Hike the Appalacian Trail
Take a Photography Tour in Africa
See the Iditarod
See the Running of the Bulls
Float the Amazon

Edge

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 20, 2007
Kansas
Edge,

Have you ever broken down complex risk of ruin calculations based on different trade strategies? In other words, have you sat down and broken down the type of variance you would have given trading to maximize expected value, compared to what your variance would be in relation to your bankroll?

Can you clarify risk of ruin? I think you are referring to a trade going against me to max loss and what is the % hit to my bankroll. I do these calculations frequently and I can't seem to find my comfort zone. My appetite for risk varies monthly and I haven't developed a cookie-cutter montly risk target. Probably the biggest thing holding me back.

To me there is a big difference between putting the pedal down when I see a good trade vs. having to have a trade on all the time to meet a monthly bogey.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
That's the issue I have.
When I first started out, I had tangible rewards
(owning our own home, being able to go on a few nice vacations a year,
having the ability to quit the day job if we wanted, etc).
It was easy to get motivated.
I had a concrete dollar goal, a timeline, and a tangible reward at the end.

Now, our goal of "more" is a little too fuzzy.
Sure I have net worth goals with timelines
but there's no juicy carrot upon reaching them.
I guess what I'm struggling with is purpose.

I could see this becoming a problem for me down the road but it would be a ways off, as I do have quite a few luxuries/travel destinations on my list. :)

Just a thought..... if being on the receiving end no longer 'moves you', pehaps you want to set more goals for giving instead? Maybe specific $ goals around charities or actual time (hours) to be able to spend on volunteer work, etc.?

I think this is where many successful people end up (e.g. Bill and Melinda Gates). When the amount you actually want to spend has been surpassed, it is time for a different type of goal. I imagine the breaking point is quite different for everyone.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
phgirl beat me to it.

We have a friend (visited him and his family just before B&P) who is "retired".

("retired" = got out of the rat race and didn't have to work another day before he was 45)

He is more busy today than he ever was. Truly.

His whole life now is about raising his daughters, and giving back.

He spends time each day helping them w/homework (hours, not just a few minutes).

And much of his other time is spent working on chairitable projects overseas.

We literally feel lucky to get time w/him, he and his family are so busy.

And his friends from before just can't understand it.

So perhaps, once you find something that hits the right chord w/you,

You won't have to worry about this. :)

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Just a thought..... if being on the receiving end no longer 'moves you', pehaps you want to set more goals for giving instead? Maybe specific $ goals around charities or actual time (hours) to be able to spend on volunteer work, etc.?

++rep. I think you nailed it for me. ...Now don't get me wrong, I do like a lot of the finer things in life, (good food, vacation, etc) but those things generally don't cost so much that I would have to motivate myself to any great length to get them. ...This next month or so should be really interesting, as I can feel that I will continue to have a succession of a-ha moments.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
We literally feel lucky to get time w/him, he and his family are so busy.
And his friends from before just can't understand it.
So perhaps, once you find something that hits the right chord w/you,
You won't have to worry about this.

I'm busy, I have tasks to do, goals to reach
but there is no real urgency, no concrete reward waiting for me.
We don't even have kids to pass wealth onto
(it will all go to charity).
If we build more wealth,
then we'll pass more wealth on,
it won't impact us personally
(I'm a burger and fries gal,
that isn't going to change).

I DO have to relook at my giving back
(my task for this summer, after the book launch crazyness is done).
I give both time and money to a variety of charities.
I think I might get a bigger emotional payoff
if I narrow the number down,
concentrate on one charity.

Or maybe I just need a vacation.
I haven't had a real one (conferences don't count) since the fall.
I'm going into the 6th month of a 1 month contract.

Sorry for the thread hijack
but I've been struggling with this for a couple months.
Lack of passion
(yes, even with the stock market sky falling
and all those yummy deals out there).

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Can you clarify risk of ruin? I think you are referring to a trade going against me to max loss and what is the % hit to my bankroll. I do these calculations frequently and I can't seem to find my comfort zone. My appetite for risk varies monthly and I haven't developed a cookie-cutter montly risk target. Probably the biggest thing holding me back.

To me there is a big difference between putting the pedal down when I see a good trade vs. having to have a trade on all the time to meet a monthly bogey.

Edge,

I'll give you the poker example of risk of ruin, since it'll be a bit different for your trading since you have different strategies. For a poker player, depending on the players winrate, you can calculate by the player's bankroll(like how many buy ins the player has for whatever stake they're playing at) to see how much bankroll they actually need to be comfortable. Like if the player is playing 5/10nl, and has $35,000, and has a 3.5 winrate. Maybe his risk of ruin is like 1%. If someone playing 5/10nl only has $15,000, and their winrate is only 1.5, maybe there risk of ruin is 20%, because their bankroll might not be able to withstand the variance. Obviously I'm just throwing out random figures, just wanting to show what would factor in, but I'm not sure how you would do yours based on you having different trading strategies, but I'm sure there is a way to figure it out. Like I said, I didn't understand a few parts of your presentation(I don't know stocks very well), but based on you knowing what % numbers you were looking for on a trade, and that you could set up a trade different ways based on how much risk you wanted to take on the trade, I'm sure there is a way to figure out how to maximize return while keeping your risk of ruin very low.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I feel really dumb when you guys start talking that technical. Gosh, how clueless I am!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.