The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mindset. Motivation and Choices in a Single Success Story

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This blog post was written by a big time producer friend of mine, and is reposted here with his permission. Mike owns a production company in Minneapolis, Minnesota called Odd Lamps Productions. You will see his work scattered across the country this Fall. I am reposting it in it's entirety, but it is not to trigger a political discussion (for which this forum will close the thread). It's a raw success story, and an amazing story of mindset, motivation, and choices. If you dig this story, I would encourage you to drop a quick email to Mike at info@oddlamps.com and let him know what you thought of his story.

A Rallying Cry.
by Michael Wilson on Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 8:41pm ·

I feel like I need to say something... it will sound braggadocios. I don't mean it to. I mean it in a humble way. A way that says, "I've been to the darkest, shittiest places and I came out alive. And guess what? You can too."

Tonight, my biggest stress is, "how do I manage all this work, for which I'm being paid really well." I'm heading to Ohio on Monday to create some badassed spots over the course of the week. I'm bring a crew. I've got it all covered. Before then, I have to finish off an existing project and finish 6 commercials. It's a lot of work. And it's awesome. I'm fortunate, but I don't owe anyone but my clients anything.

FLASHBACK: In 2008, when everything crashed, while I was preparing dinner, my daughter (5 at the time) looked on the stove and asked me, "Daddy, why's there no hamburger in the Hamburger Helper?" It was because I didn't have $4. I've told this story publicly and I'm not ashamed. It was a turning point. But during that time, I barely survived. I'd lost everything. I honestly thought the world and everyone I loved might be better off without me. But I got up the next day. The next day sucked too. But I got up again. And again. I kept getting up until the world couldn't tell me I was worthless. I knew I had no work, so I learned to do new things (there was a 4-month stretch where I had so little work, I became a F*cking expert at Apple Motion). There were tiny little writing and editing jobs here and there that got us enough to get some groceries. During that time, I was eligible for all kinds of government assistance. But in the same way I wouldn't beg you, dear reader, for help, I wouldn't go to the government to have them point a gun at your head to MAKE you help. I refused to do that. It was immoral. I was responsible for my family. It felt wrong to force YOU to pay for us. So you didn't. And you shouldn't.

And then, finally, someone gave me a job. Chuck DeVore hired me for free (Yup. Free. What can I say..? He took a chance on me...). I took the gig. I turned out spots for free that I now charge... well... a LOT for. But he gave me a chance to prove myself. And I did. Before long, Chuck (and even other folks) were paying me $200 a spot! Most of the time, half of that went to Carr Hagerman, whose golden voice is the soundtrack of Odd Lamps' stuff now, and forever. He was doing me a favor by doing voiceover on the cheap because he loved me, and I had a hundred bucks. It was a fair deal. And then it was $500. Then thousands. At the end of the most fun and important losing campaign anyone will ever be involve in, Chuck paid me my "full rate" (well, a full rate for someone who, unlike me - though he didn't know that - wasn't desperate) at the end of the campaign when I did about 225 hours in 2 weeks. It meant the world to me. And in my mind, it meant that I had money in the bank and could stop editing on a 4 year-old laptop. So I invested in my business and bought a decent iMac (one of the "loopholes" they want to get rid of). I was on my way.

There have been close-calls since then. Lots of them. Tight times? Even more. When Chuck paid me what I was worth, I knew I was worth it. It changed my life. I occasionally do stuff now for less than our going rate, especially for new clients we want to win. But mostly, I finally know that what we create in this little company I've built one day at a time (sometimes with less than $4, while feeding a baby a bottle with my left hand, holding a phone on my shoulder and typing with my right hand), where I've learned from scratch how to do it, how to manage the roller coaster, and build a team... what we do matters. It literally changes the goddamned world. And yes, Mr. President... I DID build this. Without a dime of your money, without a moment of your time, and in defiance of your ideas. I. BUILT. THIS.

Here, in this place we call both home and work? We are Americans. I sure wish the people who think that 4 more years (or, for that matter, any more moments) of this sad excuse for what we've become is a good idea could climb into my memory and see what it takes. I'm so proud of what we have been and can be again. We're not that right now. We need to find that place inside that reminds us of how powerful we are. It lives there, in that place that makes you want more... not just the material shit, though that matters... but the "stuff in the basement" that is crawling around telling you to keep fighting. We cannot stop fighting if we have a breath left. We cannot.

Epilogue:

A few years later, I sat at lunch with Fred Davis, the most powerful and influential ad-guy on the republican side that has ever lived. He'd done everything for all the Republican presidential candidates since he was, like 14 years old or something, and he did all of Chuck's opponent's ads (remember the DemonSheep ad? That was Fred). He was willing to hang out and I took the chance. I looked him in the eye and told him I'd wanted to beat him to prove I could. I meant it. He told me two things. One, it wasn't my fault we lost, because money matters. And two, if we'd released the second ad I ever made, we might have won before the race started.

When the best in the world tells you you've got the juice, you know it's time to become the best in the world. I'm working on it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you allow yourself to get absorbed in the moment of his history, you will see that not only he looks a lot like you and I look(ed) one day --- maybe today for some of the readers here --- but that he paints the picture of a path to follow that has some similarities to MJ DeMarco's own story.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Thanks for sharing this Vigilante. I enjoyed his stories and and blogs. Already shot him an email but since its so long ago don’t know if its still active. Hopefully he returns to his own blog page and continue to post.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Holy old post Batman. Interestingly it is many years old and no one appears to have read it, including myself ... not sure how it slipped through the cracks but I'm sure many good posts have...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Holy old post Batman. Interestingly it is many years old and no one appears to have read it, including myself ... not sure how it slipped through the cracks but I'm sure many good posts have...

Tons of good post have in my opinion. Can’t thank you enough MJ and the OP’s for sharing. I realized with all the information here, This Forum in many ways, shape , and form is the best Mentorship one can receive.

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
This is GOLD! Thank you for bumping this thread!

Even though this is a 2012 post, it reasonate with me alot. Especially so I am hitting a huge wall / mountain for the past 6 months. I've been reading many of the gold thread posts.

What is appearing as the common theme in this forum for me:

1. Taking action and not afraid of failure. Many times (without fail - ironic), we fail to take actions because we are afraid another failure hence we rather not move so we become stagant and it is "safer". He didn't. Everyday he get up. Suck. Redo. Suck again. Get up again. For he had chose not to take action, he wouldn't have meet his turning point.

2. Family - when lives are depending on you. That act another driving forces to change your sucky situation. I was selfish enough before to even think if my children were a liability even though I love them dearly. I thought my business will be better if someone were caring for them so I can have more time at work and still battling anxiety and guilt that the children does not have time with me. This post and many other forum posts prove me wrong. Many parents here had pushed it through because of their children. I reflected I am in a better position than most of here (husband is still supporting the family) and yet I took for granted and "blame" them for hindering my growth. Many posts especially with children mentioned was slap in my face and gave me no excuse for this poor belief.

3. One day at a time. This is a process. If I keep thinking of achieving things in xx years and xx months but do not break goal down into days allowing me to work on it. Then it is no wonder I hit wall after wall. Process. Every minute every second - what tasks should I do now that will make the business move forward.

"When the best in the world tells you you've got the juice, you know it's time to become the best in the world. I'm working on it."

My final line adapted from the above:

When the posts in this forum keep telling you you got this, you know it's time to grow and change your mindset and belief and become a better fastlane version of yourself. I'm working on it.

One day I will post my failure and success story.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.