The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Millennials are Jerks, And Boomers Are to Blame

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Yes, of course.

It's way more respectful if you call them 'ladies' isn't it, it changes EVERYTHING. Because Lil' Wayne is a misogynist but Don Draper is classy, right?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WubeN06WLXQ/SweFy2Cum-I/AAAAAAAAB8s/JKJ6OsPQHYE/s400/vintagesexism5.jpg - Isn't it

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WubeN06WLXQ/SweFbz3q3oI/AAAAAAAAB78/EAJiMo7mYYg/s400/driving+ad.jpg - Isn't it

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WubeN06WLXQ/SweFb6KfcpI/AAAAAAAAB8E/5Y0xb2fiuos/s400/eddie+mack+album.jpg - Isn't it

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2_VLKkrgW...yg/s1600/83505aef2b2d5b623624d1f3a0f4d5ef.jpg - Isn't it

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x12lod9Ae...HM/s1600/43260037beb345948c9efa9aeb595f00.jpg - Isn't it

Stop 'Bah Humbugging' yourself (see what I did there?) We're all as bad as each other, and I am not justifying it AT ALL. I am saying that we have ALWAYS sucked, merely in one form or another, and it pisses me off when Millenials are singled out as the root cause of all evil in the world.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
As a district Manager in the corporate world, we actually had to partake in a HR session on how to deal with Generation Y and it's is a interesting subject. They basically told us in a nutshell that you can not expect them to work as hard as the older generations, as they have not been conditioned that way - where you actually have to put in effort to reap rewards. They stated that as the majority have never had to work hard, put in any real effort to survive, or known true hardship, you can not expect them to comprehend the meaning of putting in 100% and they went on to say it isn't a fault of their own and you can not reprimand them if they don't put in the same effort as their peers. It is just the way it is.
Not saying this is indicative of all this generation, but from my own experiences, there is defiantly a sense of entitlement for just showing up from a lot of them.
The exceptions to the rule are often the type of people we see on this forum - The ones who realize input=output

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
They basically told us in a nutshell that you can not expect them to work as hard as the older generations, as they have not been conditioned that way - where you actually have to put in effort to reap rewards.

Funny, that hasn't been my experience. Kids my age BRAG about how many hours they work.

"I did a 17 hour day yesterday and got 4 hours of sleep! [HASHTAG]#winning[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#adderall[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#coffee[/HASHTAG]"

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
Don't pretend things were different.
Only the packaging was different.
Yup. Human nature has thus far been pretty constant. We're all altruistic, greedy, hopeful, pessimistic, helpful, selfish, angry and peaceful at some point. We're all fallen.

Bread lines brought members of the Greatest and Silent generations toward a resurgence of communist leanings in the US, and Millennials give us 1% demonstrations. From the ground-level view, when we're emotional and seeing it on the news, they're obviously very different because of x, y and z. We could argue about those differences indefinitely.

But from 10,000 feet, same same.

Booze prohibition -> repeal. MJ prohibition -> repeal.

From 10,000 feet, same same.

Fixing a computer is much different than fixing a car.

Either one may be used as a tool to create value, and either one may also be used as a recreational instrument and massive time suck, thus they are equal in their level of necessity to modern life. Once again, from 10,000 feet, same same.

No doubt this is true:
technological advances and the proliferation of digital immersion is actually changing brain chemistry. The most susceptible to this are those who live it from birth.

Might this be some of the root of the Millennial's narcissism? Probably. And in turn, is that narcissism the root of their rejection of "euphamism", and our bitches and hoes vocabulary decline? Probably. But let's not start blaming them for something as old as Greek mythology.

So are we going to hell in a handbasket? Yeah, I think so. But I believe that's due more to general entropy (and some stuff we don't discuss here) than it is to the failings of our latest dot release of Homo sapiens. Personally, my money's on us ending up somewhere between Idiocracy and Atlas Shrugged.

But like that old joke about the 2 hikers and the bear, this cranky Gen X-er can't out-work/out-earn/out-learn/out-class fate, but I damn sure can outdo some dumbass sleeping out for an iPhone.

~~~~~~~~

And hey, why hasn't resident philosopher @SteveO weighed in on this yet??

SolEvad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 2, 2018
Canada
Bump.

I think this video is a nice addition to this thread if you want something a little more in depth.

I'm not a huge fan of going into the whole gen this and gen that have had it easier or worse, are more scummy, etc... I do think it's important to understand the circumstances that lead to people thinking this of a generation though which this video does sum up quite well.

edit: found full length video

Last edited:

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
A millennial Diaries

Impatient ,entitled, and waiting to get a high five every time I do something at work, will make an impact and change the world, once I graduate am going to be free to do whatever I want, life will be fun and excitement will flow through my days, every day something new is going to happen ,am not like anyone else, am the greatest, i used to open the book the day before the exam stay up all night with two or more energy drinks and get an A+ the next day, am genius no man can do what I can do, am my favorite parents kid , they always tell my siblings to be like me, the world should acknowledge my greatness ,no am not friend with everyone, I like to be picky with my group of friends because not everyone is allowed to be my friend you see am special (not that I lack the ability to contact and form new relationships), I need to make smart comments during the lecture, I need to show them who I am, they all should be jealous, because my imaginary enemies are dancing in between my ears .

but then

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

"Snap back to reality, Oops there goes gravity "

there goes corporate job where you are dumped in the corner in between 4 walls and no window, with the same shitty boss asking you to do the same shitty tasks every single day , you see there are no stars falling down for you . and you realize you are trapped and got mocked up to, you get that cold slap on your face and you either wake up or you become numb to this life , luckily I think I got woke up since am here knowing that i need to burn my a$$ working to get out of mediocrity, to be continued ......

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I believe huge change is coming in this generation, and it will either take the form of bitterness or of generousity. And this will trigger soon, in the next 10-15 years.
Gotta remember, BOOMERS still hold all the keys, and once the keys start dropping to the floor, thats when you'll see it change.

To make the point that millenials have power right now, or should is preposterous, are we meant to beat people doing it longer? No, once you see the average millenial have some power you'll see a change, until then it is just speculation based on your own confirmation biases.

You're absolutely right. There is huge change coming.

But I don't believe for a second that it will be for the better, and certainly not in any form of "generous."

I have three sons that are millennials. The one wish I had as they were entering adulthood was that they never named smart phones to be smart. Every whiz bang kid that can operate a phone fast actually believes they are smart. Then the get a whiz bang app and twitter their friends, and that's all it takes. Off they go on their delusional journey, thinking they are smarter than everyone else. I've seen it hundreds of times, even first hand with my own sons.

Well, guess what? Us old fogie boomers were here a long time before you were, and we do know a lot. The difference is we use common sense - not apps. And we relate to people directly, not twittering and facebooking every hour of the day. Social skills. You should see what I can do when I combine my skills with the modern apps and techno gadgets of today. You'll understand in about ten or twenty years.

I just saw the move Jumanji, the Jungle (or something like that). At the end of the movie the young adventurers wake up to the real world and are markingly different people. Immensely more aware of the rest of the world - much more mature - and a whole lot LESS full of themselves. That hit the nail on the head of what is wrong with millennials - but they won't even see that message. It's there in plain sight, and is a powerful message, but it will be missed. Funny, in a way...

So carry on - good luck - and maybe learn a little respect for someone that's been in a real job for a few DECADES more than you have, and probably knows a few things more than you do.

And by the way, I'm not a cookie cutter boomer that only knows how to do things in my own little bubble - I have ran my own company, ran departments and supervised many self-absorbed naive youngsters that thought they were super heroes, and now I'm embarking on even bigger and better things. With time comes experience. With experience comes knowledge. You can learn from that, or you can don your cape and be a super hero all day long, every day.

You don't even know what you don't know.

This is not a rant, by the way. I tell my sons the same thing, hoping to make them aware of the real world and how to embrace it for their benefit. You're welcome, very much.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
People seem to engender some type of great love for the era they were born in. But really, it's irrelevant to me. To me it's always been about MINDSET. There are some who have it and some who don't.

I once had a business professor, the one professor I loved most of all, and he had great passion and energy for his craft: Business and entrepreneurship. He was a Boomer. I am a millennial. He was possibly one of the most intelligent business minds I've ever met, certainly greater than any single person on that campus. He had it. It. The mindset, the power, the love of business, the high energy, American spirit kind of guy. Would I get along with him? Of course. I never missed a lesson no matter what, I absorbed every single minute of his classes.

I've met boomers and millennials who I would consider dead. Dead as dirt. The dead look in their eyes. They live their miserable lives. Work. Eat. Sleep. Live. A 65 year old with the right mindset is always more enjoyable to spend time with then an apathetic 18 year old.

Most people are energy-draining zombies that waste time and drain life. Spend time with the right mindset and open your mind. When it comes to business, age truly is just a number. There are many great older enterprises as well as many new and upcoming ones (mainly internet-based), learn from all of the greats and discard the nobodies.

What an utterly fantastic post.

You and I have the most important trait a person can have - we "absorb" knowledge when we encounter it. Although I could write a book, or teach a class, myself in a similar way that your favorite professor did, I have other things to do. Nevertheless, with the considerable knowledge that I have accumulated, I still am a sponge, absorbing everything that comes my way, and seeking out new knowledge proactively.

The more I know, the more I realize how much more I need to know. MJ's book was a great door opener for me, which is why I'm here.

You, my friend, will be very successful in life. You will leap ahead of your peers because you are wide open to improving. You have learned to tame and control your ego and remain a life long learner. So many people stop learning when they think they actually have things figured out. Never happens. But they don't know that.

Another trait that successful people have is they realize they can't do everything, and they recognize their weaknesses. So they build a team, or better yet, a mastermind group, and multiply their knowledge and efforts. YOU are exactly the type of person I would love to have on my team. You are a rare individual, and I assure you that you are already successful. The money and rewards will come - they are not the measure of success - they are the byproducts of it.

Congratulations on figuring all this out so early in life. So many never do.

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
I'm not sure that I blame the boomers.

IMO, the media is to blame in a large way. Some people are able to see when media is pushing an agendas that isn't true or when news is fake. Many people can't tell, they're asleep.

I notice some people when they watch TV, they go into trance. I've seen guys sit through a tampon commercial without blinking. When in this state, concepts that are repeated over and over become someones truth.

The brainwashing being pushed has several angles to it depending on who's doing it.

The easiest brainwashing to see is in commercials. Notice how if there's a man and a women in a commercial, the man is always the dumb one, and the women is always the one saving the day. Pay attention the next time you watch commercials. When you wake up to this form of brainwahsing, then realize, that's the tip of an iceburg...
Also imagine what that does to the subconscious of a young boy who's never seen different.

I think that's 30% of the problem.

Another big problem is any millennial who's self aware knows AI/Robotics/Outsourcing is going to kill any chance of a long term career. Spend 5-10 years mastering a craft that will pay dividends for 30 years? Good luck with that... But if jobs and industries disappear almost as fast as you can learn them, then what do you do? Hence, some of their values.

Another big part of the problem I think is that consuming content doesn't activate the prefrontal cortex. When you're just looking at your phone every 2 minutes the important part of your brain is asleep. Not like when you go outside and go explore or go figure something out. I think they may be developing brain issues where they can't think properly because their prefrontal has atrophied.

Just my guess at the problem.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think there is a really good reason all of my friends are older than me.

I would argue stupidity with a dose of arrogance is the best definition for the average millennial. It is a really bad combo. If you are going to be arrogant, at least be right.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I don't know if all "Generation X" teaches that. I never did. I understand quite well your generation. I believe like I said before you will all have to create a new world. I believe although right now you're all young. I understand there is a lot of rebellious nature coming out. I can't say that I don't agree with your generation. Probably because I never fed into the Baby Boomer Mindset.

What ever they've created doesn't really matter. The whole future and world is in your hands as you pave the way. It's just using that intellect and energy in appropriate ways. History is History and it has been pretty messed up through the centuries. Humanity as a whole just keeps creating a bigger mess. We still haven't learned non-violent ways of communication, dropping the prejudice, discrimination, and segregation and separation. We've gotten better at it since the sixties, but we can push it further. Sure it's easy to blame. We all play a part and co-create together. We all have to take responsibility for the part we play.

Fortunately, just like the 1960's I believe you're generation is just the one's changing things again in a new direction. I don't believe the Baby Boomers set the best example in their generation. I don't believe generation x did any better. I believe many of us are at this point making changes and leading the way. Every generation blames it on the last. We co-create as I said before. We monopolize, knock out small business, create corporations, and sure they give us jobs. On the other hand there is no security left for anyone for any generation. We have created the business laws, and the minimum wage. We've voted for the people in office. We complained about things, and made rules and regulations. Like any other generation the next tries to clean up the mess left over from previous people.

We try to create something better and still don't resolve the world's issues and problems. We can't change the masses. We have no control over their mindset. We can only do it one by one through changing ourselves and being the leaders and examples. So yes, I don't see how disrespecting the children makes a better world. We will just get the same back. It's no longer break the will of the child. Every one in your generation is screaming out loud it's the end of this, and it doesn't serve or work anymore. Pain and Suffering is on every social media site. Depression is 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men. Suicide is 1 in 10. If that isn't a big enough sign to stop the emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical violence I don't know what it will take.

People are tired of the control, manipulation, and deceptions. People are angrier than ever. We just have to remember it starts with ourselves. This is all we can do. Do our part. Not generalize. There are many people out there trying to change this world into a better place. While others do nothing to change it, because they are happy with the way things are in the moment. Even the Baby Boomers get upset with the job situation and the Government. You're not alone. We're all experiencing the same thing at every age. You may just not be aware of it. The upper class basically are the one's that support literary programs, art programs, music programs, scholarships, and other non-profits or health organizations. If they didn't do their part you wouldn't have any help at all. Everything would be gone. Like food pantries for examples. Grants and budget cuts stopped in 2011. The wealthy continued to keep them open by donating food, clothing, and even help pay for shelter.

We forget there is two sides to the story, and a lot more behind the scenes than you're aware of. There is always the good, the bad, and the ugly. All you can do is accept things as you go and forgive those that harm and have gratitude for those do that do help you, teach you to be excellent leaders and take those keys to build a better tomorrow.

D

Deleted21704

This really hits close to home, because I'm a 'millennial' myself + my big long-term project is all about motivating the upcoming generation. I want to address parenting.

My parents are great, and without them I wouldn't be the person I am today. That's the issue: most parents aren't even remotely decent.
  • I just had a meeting today with a highly-stressed, public high-school teacher who, starting yesterday, has been required to provide his less-gifted students with what he described as 'parenting' ON TOP of the planning, teaching, and grading he already does. The county realizes that parents are slacking, and in order to graduate these kids, SOMEONE needs to give them that attention, guidance, and motivation their parents haven't given them. Apparently these parents are binge TV-watchers and have pretty crappy relationships with their kids. So, most kids have no motivation, and their parents just don't give a shit, so nothing happens, and that impacts schools negatively with declining graduation rates.
Think I live in the projects? Nope. I'm in the 10th-richest county in the United States of America with a median income of $100,000. They should end high school at 10th grade and use funding for those 2 years of school for parents-to-be to learn how to get their heads out of their a$$.

• I had another meeting today with the Director of Career Services for our flagship state university (>35k student body). My SaaS helps students determine a career path + figure out the most effective way to succeed in it. You know what this guy said? Great idea, but most kids just don't care about figuring out a career when they're in college. They're at college for the 'experience' and piece of paper. 90% of them won't ever enter the career center. Those that do just want a resume for the career fair next week where they'll appear totally clueless.
And parents do what about this lack of direction? Usually, nothing. Should they be pushing their kids to be doctors against all costs like Indian parents? No. But being completely indifferent? That's not healthy either, and it's partially to blame for the bad mentality so many kids have right now.

Are parents the only ones to blame? Of course not. Kids themselves do seem to be disrespectful more than they were in past generations, and I'm sure that's a factor in the lack of parents' ability to influence their kids. BUT even then, as a parent, it's your job to put that kid in his place.

Most parents are TURRIBLE. Guidance at high schools + colleges is NONEXISTENT.

This isn't a workable recipe for a successful upcoming generation.

So yeah, boomers are to blame, not because they created corrupt companies or are taking our jobs, but because they are mostly not good at parenting.

EDIT: I called boomers jerks. My fault. I was trying to parallel the title of the article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
The Nomad Generation (Gen-X): They're the latchkey kids raised by neglectful parents, and thus, become tough and self-sufficient, but cynical bastards.

That sums me up perfectly. My cynicism is out of hand sometimes.

But basically, the theory is that generations aren't linear, but rather go in cycles that repeat over and over again.

Yes indeed. There are two types of change: cyclical and linear. In order to grasp what is coming next, we have to determine whether to look at the science of cycles or if it's a tipping point, something that isn't going back to the way it used to be.

Culturally, I think the human race has gone through so many changes in the last twenty years, largely due to technological advances. The law of entropy states that everything in nature is slowly breaking down. I firmly believe that humans are a part of that, and technology will allow it to happen more rapidly.

I tend to think of these things based on universal laws, since I know those will always remain true. When looking at social structure and societies, I always start with the cycle of chaos. Everything starts in chaos, then order comes from it, then something happens to drive it back into chaos, thus the cycle repeats. It's how the universe works, and for the most part, societies and countries.

The point I'm driving at is that everything is going to keep getting worse, most likely through a series of linear changes. Just wait until Artificial Intelligence takes over. I think about my nieces, who are 6 and 10 now. Every time I go home, they are glued to a computer or a tablet. Their childhood will largely be remembered through a screen. The best statement to sum up the current generation: buy a $300 pair of headphones in order to listen to poor sounding music that they didn't pay for. Entitlement, selfishness, and consumerism will all get worse, and so will the debt to go along with it. As this happens and the media and politicians continue to keep the people polarized (since that's the easiest way to make money), things will continue to unravel. In the USA, you've got a front row seat to it all! Relax and enjoy the show folks! (cynical rant over)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Vocabulary is word..Which is a symbol..which every culture created to signify some meaning. The person using the word, reflects their intentions to harm others through ill-intention...out of ill-feelings...out of their own creation of reality. Their perception of reality and their experience becomes a thought they create...which is emotions deliberately manifesting themselves out of feeling. They project their reality and experience on to others hoping others buy into their reality. Perception and focus illustrate someone's personal experience and reality. What ever they are focusing on deliberately becomes the reality.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I think it's just different times.

We millennials, at least the ones in North America can afford to be a little bit more selfish these days. We're not living in fear about a threat of Russian invasion, we're not being drafted to go to war, and even the proletariat of this generation can afford iPhones and high-speed internet. And seeing as it's tougher to find a decent paying job right out of high school, we have to invest in ourselves a little more, like going to college, and things like that.

But I wouldn't say we're all jerks though. A lot of us still have heart under the narcissism you see on Facebook and Instagram.

By the way, @MJ DeMarco , would you be considered a Millennial?

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Interesting, I never thought about it like this before. I grew up playing video games on my Gameboy and my grandma even got me the Nintendo 64 when it came out. That was also validation and reinforcement, and it happened way before social media ever even came around. Leveling up, beating the bad guys, it was just simple and required no real effort.
On topic of games... Simple? No real effort? I remember even games being much more difficult back then lol. I have a vivid memory of me playing Super Mario when I was real young, on one of those cheap consoles with yellow cartridges, which were super popular in mid-90's in this part of the world. And I was failing for the millionth time, swearing and throwing my controller across the room, then hearing my mother yell at me to behave or I won't be playing anymore. So, I sucked it up and out of pure frustration just kept going and going til I managed to finish the game. There were no achievements, cheat codes, save points. Once your X amount of lives were up, back to beginning you went. I remember grinding those games forever til I finished them, not because they were fun, nope, but because I had to have the bragging rights for finishing a game. Nevermind the fact that I was mostly frustrated and rarely having fun playing majority of them lol. Finishing it was my gratification, but it was far from instant

Who knows, perhaps those games in my childhood helped me develop discipline later in life. To this day, whenever I stumble upon a difficult task, I take it as a challenge and will keep grinding until I succeed... even if there's no real award, except having the problem solved and getting to throw my hands up in the air victoriously, while my gf just looks at me like I'm an idiot

I know the games my sisters kids are playing nowadays are drastically different though and so is everything else. Since the beginning of civilization the older generation has always looked down on the younger ones, but in current day and age, with the technology the way it is, I believe MJ is right about that sort of stuff actually changing your brain chemistry and how your mind works.

Following is a quote from the book 50th Law by Robert Greene, something that my generation doesn't understand:

"The fools in life want things fast and easy — money, success, attention. Boredom is their great enemy and fear. Whatever they manage to get slips through their hands as fast as it comes in. You, on the other hand, want to outlast your rivals. You are building the foundation for something that can continue to expand. To make this happen, you will have to serve an apprenticeship. You must learn early on to endure the hours of practice and drudgery, knowing that in the end all of that time will translate into a higher pleasure — mastery of a craft and of yourself. Your goal is to reach the ultimate skill level.
The real secret, the real formula for power in this world, lies in accepting the ugly reality that learning requires a process, and this in turn demands patience and the ability to endure drudge work."

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Shit was still happening 2000 years ago so nothing has really changed. It just cycles around.

It feels like people forget this when topics like this spring up. Those stupid "kids" are always doing those things that everyone hates... the world is going to hell... etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong. I can be a cynical bastard (apparently like a proper Gen-Xer), but as long as everyone is being cynical, why not turn some of that cynicism inwards, or at least on the things we find ourselves complaining about. If anyone should realize how much money there is to be made from fear-mongering, it should be us! I know some of these things affect people instinctively, but we should know better...

I get a bit surly at things sometimes. In fact, I stay that way quite a bit. But i DO stop sometimes to remind myself that the world is actually a pretty damned amazing place, and it's only getting better.

citation:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
i'd like more details on ways you think things will change, i know some of us i'm included in the group have seen our parents struggling and also know there's such a major increase in national debt that we're afraid taxes will ever wipe out any chance at sustaining a high standard of living so instead of saving / preparing / starting businesses/ investing we're mainly sticking to our checking accounts at least i am

This is just my theory, but Generation X, has to step in the next few years, and start leading the way, and as you stated, "We've struggled", we got caught in the shift in 2008, had to let go of all the conditioning of society, and as I was going through College to upgrade, I was learning the same stuff as my son in high school that wasn't covered when I went to school. The college you go too, also has to do a lot with whether they stay on top of their game.

I have many Millennial friends as you stated, there families are struggling, but Generation X needs to get out in front and this is going against our parents generation, so this takes a lot of maturing, growing, and evolving, and not easy for our generation, but a must.

Millennials aren't so off their thoughts about Baby Boomers, if you look at when certain things began in our society and magnified it might have existed prior before in generations, but they magnified it and made it bigger. And Generation X followed suit in some ways of our older group. I'm the youngest of Generation X.

Millennials to me sometimes are like playing hockey mentally and emotionally, and they're a fierce team, and so I don't doubt they have the ability to change the systems once they're grown, matured, and self-actualized. My son's group is the youngest of the Millennials, so he grows with me as I go.

What it made it hard for Millennials is that shift in business, methods, techniques, and the rules all changed, and we had to make a choice to re-educate ourselves, and go in a new way. When Baby Boomers were in there Revolution in the 60's, they were in their 20's and thirties as well. The era wasn't about technology, competitive as it is today in business. While there was business, it was on a smaller scale, and they didn't need to be as educated as Generation X and Millennials.

Generations before were in the factories, industrial, farming, agriculture, and again their educational level wasn't necessary to survive as today. There coping skills, survival skills, were quite different.

Generation X and Millennials are all about Mental Toughness, Mindset, Emotional regulation, and everyone is educated with degrees, unless you've chosen not too educate yourself. I believe just like the Baby Boomers, Millennials will make some impact and history, if they learn to use their energy in a positive way. They're empathetic, understanding, compassionate, and fearless. The ego and attitude get in the way, and of course this can be self-sabotaging themselves and one another. But I think I've noticed the Millennials already learned some of this from 2010 until 2018, so they're starting to realize the cause and effect on their actions and choices and heading into a better direction.

Listening is the whole key, and sharing perspectives, working together, and this is something Generation X is learning to do with Millennials, and at the same time we understand that Baby Boomers are used to doing things their way or the highway. They do love running the show, and we have had our own moments with Baby Boomers as professors, teachers, leaders in our community.

My group anyway was deemed the worst class of 1989. And so they say the same thing about Millennials, but in a different way.

This is just a normal phase of generations coming and going, but we personally just are in a different experience with all the new technologies, medicine, medical, communication systems, Networks, Networking, and on a Global Scale instead of the local Micro level, small speck on the earth, home town. This is impacting the worlds populations. We will have to see what happens the next 10 years, but frankly, the Baby Boomer Era is over with how society interacted on many platforms.

Generation X knows where the wholes are in the systems Baby Boomers built, and it's a natural process, that everything is upgraded, changed, and moved forward. Millennials will eventually see the wholes in what Generation X builds, and Generation Z will see the wholes in Millennials systems. I believe this is just evolution. As your experience happens for a reason, so when I look where I've been in life, I understand I saw many systems, and how they didn't work. Now you see, M.J. with a book that discusses the old retirement plan does't work for future Generations. He illustrates things that need revamped. It's kind of like passing on the torch, and what Millennials create, depends on what information Generation X reveals about many systems and platforms. If you don't have all the information, see where the problems are, you can't adjust, adapt, and problem shoot.

We all do our part. When I'm the same age as Boomers in their 70's and 80's, than I will probably go through the same process and think what a strange group the younger group is and what kind of trouble are they making. It's just because when you're older, you're conditioned, in your comfort zone, and want things to stay the same. Although I have some relatives that refuse to get off the stage, and it is because they enjoy being an Entrepreneur, and being the leader. I think many of them do, but sometimes they just have to admit, it's time to get off stage, and allow others to take the lead.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Its just that millenials are conventient cannon fodder
"hey you are young, just starting out don't worry about it"
And then the person wakes up middle aged with nothing their whole life.
Where the same person 30 years ago made 20% more, had some respect, and had twice the amount of assets.

You got it. But that's certainly not a new thing. I waded through the same swamp (and still am)!

Information is there for you to be spoon fed, steered, manipulated, and controlled. Universities are designed to mold you into a productive employee. The naked truth is there, but is covered in half truths and riddles. Very much like the ultimate video game - I'll call it life.

All anyone can hope for is to break through somehow and grab a piece of the truth and grow it into something tangible and productive. And then when you do that, it isn't long before your scent is picked up and now you have also contend with the wild dogs that are after your prize. As if building something worthwhile wasn't enough all by itself!

That's the bad news.

The good news is that in today's world of knowledge at our fingertips, this process can be greatly accelerated. What took years before, can now take days. We can monitor the hits, the bounces, the rankings - and everything in between - in an instant, on our instant business in a box. Open the box, apply a domain name, add water, and bake for 60 minutes - and you got a shiny new business. I mean, really - look how much raw power is at our fingertips TODAY versus just a few years ago. And we don't even have to build it ourselves - we can assemble the pieces like building blocks - already made for us. Can it get any easier? I might open four more business ventures this weekend alone! Wow. Just. Plain. Wow.

But first, we have to be digging for gold in the right place. It takes just as much effort to dig a salt mine as it does a gold mine. That's where MJ will have my eternal gratitude - for uncovering the myths and taking a solid stand on HOW and WHY his methods are better. And that he did, very well.

I am still searching for the pieces to assemble my rocket ship. I think I have them. But before I launch, I want to make sure that other guy hasn't built a missile and will blow me out of the sky and run with my idea. As far as I've been able to figure that part out, it happens every time. So, I'm fully expecting it to happen to me. My plan is not to only launch my rocket, but to have shields in place so it is impervious to attack. It can be done, but I don't feel secure in the limited knowledge I have at this point to be effective. Loot and plunder is one strategy. My strategy is to NOT be the victim of that.

So, despite the information not being complete, or not direct enough, or even flawed - it is immensely more than we've ever had before. On that, there is no comparison. We have to run with it. Steve Jobs was up against incredible odds. Mark Zuckerberg figured it out as he went, step by step. Michael Dell was pretty damn sure of himself, and had the cahoonas to just force success, more or less - I like THAT kind of guy! And, weirdest of all - Mark Cuban started out in the SAME industry that I was in - but he saw the big picture and rode the wave to success. I was selling peanuts on the beach, while he was hanging ten. Shit - live and learn... And learn I did. I also could have taken the same route that Steven Spielberg and George Lucas did - but I didn't. I didn't throw myself into the vortex of success cause I had too little confidence and knowledge, and too much doubt in myself. Look at the results of that! Shit... again!

This time, however, I've been in the ring. I've been in the fight and I've learned that I do have a lot of advantages. But what is more important in fighting - hitting or defending? THERE you go - that's the ticket - you need BOTH to SURVIVE. So many think just hitting (launching a product or service) is enough, and you can sit back and wait for the money to roll in. That's a good philosophy, right up until the upper hook knocks you to your knees, that is...

That's my take on things. I've failed a lot. I've had a lot of success, but it's been limited. For everything that's happened I've taken hits and I've learned from that.

With the sheer power to launch a business - within an hour if I really wanted to - I can accrelate the process on a scale of at least 100 to 1 compared to what used to be the rules of success.

Unleash the power. Dream big. But most of all, make sure your rocket is pointed in the RIGHT direction - or that you will find and mine gold, and not salt.

It's not so hard. Easy in fact. And the only one - the ONLY one that can hold you or I back from our full potential is our worst enemy. The one we can't win an argument with. Yes - that's your Mom. No, just kidding - it's you. Or I.

Henry Ford said this - whether you believe you can, or you can't - you're right!!!

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Excellent. You keep writing like that Rouge, and MJ will kick you OFF this forum. He won't stand for competition on his own turf like that. But don't worry - I'll buy your book...

I too am an accomplished poker player. I've been pushed out of hands by sheer force. How strong are my jacks anyway? It happens all the time. So, yes, you are right. But...

I just want to add a few life experiences that I've had. Real true to life, in the dirt, the way it is, experiences.

I spent many years in the office machine business (from manual typewriters to computers). That's kind of how Mark Cuban started out in his first big break too. He was fired from his job - you should get his book. It's very very short - and he's gonna buy me a beer someday for ripping me off - but what is there is solid gold.

But, back to point. In the heyday of mechanical typewriters, the IBM Selectric was by far the king. I know that machine inside out because I fixed them for many years. But, it wasn't the best machine on the market. Not by a long shot. Personally, I thought Olivetti was by far a better machine, for a certain time period. That is an Italian company. Italians are brilliant at designing things, which very few people know. For what it's worth, eventually the Japanese took over the market and surpassed everyone - but that's just a side fact. IBM was designed and built in USA. How did it become number one? It had two good qualities that everyone loved - it had a great touch, and it made flawless corrections. It had a number of faults too, but isn't it funny how people will tolerate faults if they find other features they really love? Anyway - my point is this: IBM was not just a technical powerhouse - they were marketing WIZARDS. How did they compete against superior machines? They didn't care, really. They just went full speed ahead and marketed their wares like there was no tomorrow. Olivetti could have kicked their keister for a while, but they were too stubborn to invest in the marketing muscle to do it. Great machine - crap company vision and management. We didn't sell Olivetti, by the way. Our competition did, and they didn't too well with it either because the company had lousy support. So I've seen the third best machine kick butt in the marketplace, and take names doing it. Doesn't make sense. The best player/fighter/product often - and I stress often - does not always win.

Another valuable lesson that I'm seeing right now is a multi-millionaire friend of mine that is in the process of releasing a product that is going to explode in the market and make billions. I am sure it will be successful, but for how long I don't know. I asked him what he was going to do when China knocked him off and he said. He said. Oh, you should be paying for this inside info... He said he didn't care. He said he knows it will happen, and he can't stop it. BUT by the time it happens, he says, he will have made his fortune and won't care. So the death of his product is inevitable, no matter what he does. That kind of scares me, because me and my product are an ant next to him.

The other lesson I have learned, and it scares me, is a denial of service (DoS) attack on a website. That's when a website is overwhelmed - bombarded - by outside activity. But let's not focus on that in detail - let's look at the concept. The concept is that if you DO come up with a great idea and you DO launch a great marketing campaign, and it IS successful - well - what could happen next? Could you be run out of business by knock offs, or attacks on your website, or your own manufacturer, even, deciding to not work with you for whatever reason? There is so much out of your control. We're not talking chess strategy here - we're talking someone kicking your front door down and trying to kill you. What do you do about that? I heard, and have been trying to validate it, that the guy that invented the weed eater with the fish line, had his invention blatantly stolen from him and modified slightly - and it was on the market in a dozen different configurations. Maybe he could have protected it better through stronger patents. But, let's say his patents were perfect in every way. You could have your product just snatched away, and then be taunted - hey, catch me if you can! Can we catch ten thieves that copy our product? How long would that take, and what would it cost?

There are just a few observations that I wanted to throw out, because your statements, although true and well reasoned, I fear are somewhat naive. The rules only apply when everyone plays by them. When that doesn't happen, only the strong survive. You might be right - but will you win? Or, more appropriately, CAN you win? These are life and death questions for me and my ventures. It's me against the world, and I am well aware how small and fragile I am.

Maybe I've seen too much. Knowing and seeing what I have, I read MJ's Fastlane with a different perspective than most people. I noticed how he plowed into his work, full speed. I think that's the ONLY way to do it. Move too slow and you could be pushed off the road - through no fault of your own. He goes into great detail about being knocked off and unfair competition. But he won anyway!

THOSE are some of the issues that I am dealing with. I put them out there for your benefit, and also to see what, if anything, anyone might have to say about them.

One more quick comment. When I entered the video production business, I eliminated my existing competition which controlled the market before I came on the scene. But I did that through reinventing the product line to align with what my customers wanted. We took completely different approaches, and mine was vastly superior, so I won. But today - things are so different. Packs of wolves could steal my idea - attack my infrastructure - eliminate my supplier - and on and on. None of it being fair, and so all my planning and strategy could be rendered ineffective.

This is a multi-faceted venture. Having the best product is no guarantee of success. I could easily be out-marketed by any King Kong that crashes out of the jungle. I could have my ideas flagrantly stolen right in front of my own eyes. The list of things like this is long and scary...

I will relish feedback to these observations ~

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Excellent. You keep writing like that Rouge, and MJ will kick you OFF this forum. He won't stand for competition on his own turf like that. But don't worry - I'll buy your book...

I too am an accomplished poker player. I've been pushed out of hands by sheer force. How strong are my jacks anyway? It happens all the time. So, yes, you are right. But...

I just want to add a few life experiences that I've had. Real true to life, in the dirt, the way it is, experiences.

I spent many years in the office machine business (from manual typewriters to computers). That's kind of how Mark Cuban started out in his first big break too. He was fired from his job - you should get his book. It's very very short - and he's gonna buy me a beer someday for ripping me off - but what is there is solid gold.

But, back to point. In the heyday of mechanical typewriters, the IBM Selectric was by far the king. I know that machine inside out because I fixed them for many years. But, it wasn't the best machine on the market. Not by a long shot. Personally, I thought Olivetti was by far a better machine, for a certain time period. That is an Italian company. Italians are brilliant at designing things, which very few people know. For what it's worth, eventually the Japanese took over the market and surpassed everyone - but that's just a side fact. IBM was designed and built in USA. How did it become number one? It had two good qualities that everyone loved - it had a great touch, and it made flawless corrections. It had a number of faults too, but isn't it funny how people will tolerate faults if they find other features they really love? Anyway - my point is this: IBM was not just a technical powerhouse - they were marketing WIZARDS. How did they compete against superior machines? They didn't care, really. They just went full speed ahead and marketed their wares like there was no tomorrow. Olivetti could have kicked their keister for a while, but they were too stubborn to invest in the marketing muscle to do it. Great machine - crap company vision and management. We didn't sell Olivetti, by the way. Our competition did, and they didn't too well with it either because the company had lousy support. So I've seen the third best machine kick butt in the marketplace, and take names doing it. Doesn't make sense. The best player/fighter/product often - and I stress often - does not always win.

Another valuable lesson that I'm seeing right now is a multi-millionaire friend of mine that is in the process of releasing a product that is going to explode in the market and make billions. I am sure it will be successful, but for how long I don't know. I asked him what he was going to do when China knocked him off and he said. He said. Oh, you should be paying for this inside info... He said he didn't care. He said he knows it will happen, and he can't stop it. BUT by the time it happens, he says, he will have made his fortune and won't care. So the death of his product is inevitable, no matter what he does. That kind of scares me, because me and my product are an ant next to him.

The other lesson I have learned, and it scares me, is a denial of service (DoS) attack on a website. That's when a website is overwhelmed - bombarded - by outside activity. But let's not focus on that in detail - let's look at the concept. The concept is that if you DO come up with a great idea and you DO launch a great marketing campaign, and it IS successful - well - what could happen next? Could you be run out of business by knock offs, or attacks on your website, or your own manufacturer, even, deciding to not work with you for whatever reason? There is so much out of your control. We're not talking chess strategy here - we're talking someone kicking your front door down and trying to kill you. What do you do about that? I heard, and have been trying to validate it, that the guy that invented the weed eater with the fish line, had his invention blatantly stolen from him and modified slightly - and it was on the market in a dozen different configurations. Maybe he could have protected it better through stronger patents. But, let's say his patents were perfect in every way. You could have your product just snatched away, and then be taunted - hey, catch me if you can! Can we catch ten thieves that copy our product? How long would that take, and what would it cost?

There are just a few observations that I wanted to throw out, because your statements, although true and well reasoned, I fear are somewhat naive. The rules only apply when everyone plays by them. When that doesn't happen, only the strong survive. You might be right - but will you win? Or, more appropriately, CAN you win? These are life and death questions for me and my ventures. It's me against the world, and I am well aware how small and fragile I am.

Maybe I've seen too much. Knowing and seeing what I have, I read MJ's Fastlane with a different perspective than most people. I noticed how he plowed into his work, full speed. I think that's the ONLY way to do it. Move too slow and you could be pushed off the road - through no fault of your own. He goes into great detail about being knocked off and unfair competition. But he won anyway!

THOSE are some of the issues that I am dealing with. I put them out there for your benefit, and also to see what, if anything, anyone might have to say about them.

One more quick comment. When I entered the video production business, I eliminated my existing competition which controlled the market before I came on the scene. But I did that through reinventing the product line to align with what my customers wanted. We took completely different approaches, and mine was vastly superior, so I won. But today - things are so different. Packs of wolves could steal my idea - attack my infrastructure - eliminate my supplier - and on and on. None of it being fair, and so all my planning and strategy could be rendered ineffective.

This is a multi-faceted venture. Having the best product is no guarantee of success. I could easily be out-marketed by any King Kong that crashes out of the jungle. I could have my ideas flagrantly stolen right in front of my own eyes. The list of things like this is long and scary...

Excellent takes, thanks for sharing your story, you've been in the game a long time when you're talking about IBM Selectrics! I remember using them in grade school and loving that feel of the keys! Rep+

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013

But, back to point. In the heyday of mechanical typewriters, the IBM Selectric was by far the king. I know that machine inside out because I fixed them for many years. But, it wasn't the best machine on the market. Not by a long shot. Personally, I thought Olivetti was by far a better machine, for a certain time period. That is an Italian company. Italians are brilliant at designing things, which very few people know. For what it's worth, eventually the Japanese took over the market and surpassed everyone - but that's just a side fact. IBM was designed and built in USA. How did it become number one? It had two good qualities that everyone loved - it had a great touch, and it made flawless corrections. It had a number of faults too, but isn't it funny how people will tolerate faults if they find other features they really love? Anyway - my point is this: IBM was not just a technical powerhouse - they were marketing WIZARDS. How did they compete against superior machines? They didn't care, really. They just went full speed ahead and marketed their wares like there was no tomorrow.
Not caring is a good point, caring about pedantics means those pedantics can beat you and pushes you out of the game
But if you are in the game, play the game, dont be thinking you already won and don't be gloating or you will get wrecked.
Good point

Its something a friend of mine in the entertainment industry has said to me from time to time, that losers sit around saying theirs is the best, but you have to prove it with numbers, or quite simply put, it isn't
Olivetti could have kicked their keister for a while, but they were too stubborn to invest in the marketing muscle to do it.
Being artists in a street fight
Great machine - crap company vision and management. We didn't sell Olivetti, by the way. Our competition did, and they didn't too well with it either because the company had lousy support. So I've seen the third best machine kick butt in the marketplace, and take names doing it. Doesn't make sense. The best player/fighter/product often - and I stress often - does not always win.
Well, Olivetti had no punch I'm guessing so its impact was just dull and its differentiators vague
Another valuable lesson that I'm seeing right now is a multi-millionaire friend of mine that is in the process of releasing a product that is going to explode in the market and make billions. I am sure it will be successful, but for how long I don't know. I asked him what he was going to do when China knocked him off and he said. He said. Oh, you should be paying for this inside info... He said he didn't care. He said he knows it will happen, and he can't stop it. BUT by the time it happens, he says, he will have made his fortune and won't care.
Yeah I agree with that. I mean you can only do so much before others take it, but if you get rich, its ok. You wanna work on new projects anyway, so sell it off to a person who doesn't know china is coming :p
So the death of his product is inevitable, no matter what he does. That kind of scares me, because me and my product are an ant next to him.
Well maybe you are treating it as too precious. I mean you put a lot of time in it, and want it to succeed, but it is like approaching a girl at a bar,
One guy frets over what to say and thinks up something, and he goes over, but he isn't spontaneous, his confidence is a little off, he's shaking a bit, and when he gets a little bit of rejection attitude from the girl he is almost knocked out of the conversation and gets desperate to keep it alive, he tries really hard, gets a few good things in, wins a few points with her but then goes home.
Or, the guy doesn't fret over what to say and looks at the bigger picture and how to get things moving ahead as far as he can, and he invites the girl to dance, introduce himself to her friends, buys her a drink, and they chat about nonsense, and he asks if shes up for a walk, or to go get food, or a coffee etc, and a relationship starts, but 3 months later she tells him he's a clueless moron, and he shrugs it off.

I mean, by being too precious about your efforts you can miss the forest for the trees. No matter how good you get at business you cant stop ripoffs from happening. I mean you might place "restrictions" on a girlfriend and she can't see dave, but if she wants to see dave shes gonna see dave. You can't stop it.

That doesn't mean you encourage it, but it means you understand there are limits out there that we can't get past no matter how perfect we are. I mean, its human nature that we are just that bit "unfair" in all we do. So yeah we will cop some unfair hits.
Point is to not let it tie you down. Give yourself room to just let it run its course, and you do your best while you can.
And if you plan on fighting a giant, bring a big stick.
The other lesson I have learned, and it scares me, is a denial of service (DoS) attack on a website. That's when a website is overwhelmed - bombarded - by outside activity. But let's not focus on that in detail - let's look at the concept. The concept is that if you DO come up with a great idea and you DO launch a great marketing campaign, and it IS successful - well - what could happen next? Could you be run out of business by knock offs, or attacks on your website, or your own manufacturer, even, deciding to not work with you for whatever reason? There is so much out of your control. We're not talking chess strategy here - we're talking someone kicking your front door down and trying to kill you.
I view chess as a boxing bag for the mind, you just use it to sharpen your thoughts, but there are specific tips chess has for a direct assault.
1) he who has the faster or more aggressive attack wins
2) he who attacks big too early left a weakness back at home
3) shove a pawn in its face, deflect it, or sacrifice a piece of material to slow its tempo and disrupt its harmony
4) don't let a person have the center or organise a battery against your defences
5) desperado - a desperado move is where you do something that in other contexts seems crazy, in order to create a forcing move that they have to take time to address

So in term of brute force attacks, I suppose you set up a secondary server to run in parallel or something?
But yes those things are not pretty, especially if your resources are stretched as is.
What do you do about that? I heard, and have been trying to validate it, that the guy that invented the weed eater with the fish line, had his invention blatantly stolen from him and modified slightly - and it was on the market in a dozen different configurations. Maybe he could have protected it better through stronger patents. But, let's say his patents were perfect in every way. You could have your product just snatched away, and then be taunted - hey, catch me if you can!
Yeah, I think things like the weed wacker, need a great marketting angle, and immediate branding, but it is a utility tool so most people aren't going to care so long as it does what it says. Pretty hard to protect that one.
Can we catch ten thieves that copy our product? How long would that take, and what would it cost?
No way you are catching ten thieves, thats kinda the point of looters, they know they have safety in numbers
There are just a few observations that I wanted to throw out, because your statements, although true and well reasoned, I fear are somewhat naive. The rules only apply when everyone plays by them. When that doesn't happen, only the strong survive.
Well thats why I study strategy and history, cuz basically all this stuff happens through out history too. Generals are ambushed, set upon, out foxed, betrayed.
I mean hannibal took on Rome and won, but his own people refused to send more troops to keep Rome down, so Rome took Hannibals trick and attacked Carthage, forcing Hannibal to come back to defend, and then he lost.

That is a common theme in chess btw, a strong attack fizzles, then a counter attack is launched and doesn't fizzle. Finish your conquests :p

I once checkmated a guy with a horse and a king. I knew I didnt have enough pieces left to checkmate him unless I got him to block off his own kings escape squares, so I made targets tempting for him to take, marched my king up the board, and launched in with a knight checkmating him and crushing his soul. I knew, that when resources are scare, USE IT ALL to finish it
You might be right - but will you win? Or, more appropriately, CAN you win? These are life and death questions for me and my ventures. It's me against the world, and I am well aware how small and fragile I am.
Thats good, Im aware Im tiny too, it is no easy fix, that is for darn sure
Maybe I've seen too much. Knowing and seeing what I have, I read MJ's Fastlane with a different perspective than most people.
Nah you havent seen too much, its good to know stuff gets dirty, but of course being a new guy who has no clue and just does things is more effective a lot of the time. But I wouldn't count a person out cuz they know the dirt of it. I'm the same way, I know too much about the dirt that I often can't do naive things without feeling of being and acting incredibly stupid
I noticed how he plowed into his work, full speed. I think that's the ONLY way to do it. Move too slow and you could be pushed off the road - through no fault of your own. He goes into great detail about being knocked off and unfair competition. But he won anyway!
Yeah, I think that is in MJs nature though, he seems an immediate kind of guy.

Yeah that is the scary stuff right there

Yeah, it is the element of chaos
And you can't beat chaos in linear ways
You generally beat it by identifying commonalities

So, WHO WILL BE THE KING KONG? Who is looking like they will be the marketting machine? How are they going to flagrantly steal your stuff?
And what are you going to do about it rather than just react appaulled?

And obviously you can't beat it all with brute force, so how can you take the center of the conversation, where is the center? How can you IMPRESS people while king kong is outside smashing buildings to get attention? And a marketting machine is pouring gasoline everywhere and lighting matches?
What beats those things?

You gotta think of the commonalities, the weaknesses of certain approaches and how others expectations of success can whither up.
Thats the game of it I guess

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Good article....very interesting.

My Daughter is majoring in Psychology.....man is she going to be busy !

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
You really think someone that uses the term "F*ck bitches" has the same mindset about women than someone who says "make love?"

'Come on baby, light my fire.'
'I wanna take a ride on your disco stick'

I was using 'F*ck bitches' and 'make love' as a general example. If we are being entirely literal, then the 'new' way of saying it IS more disrespectful. I'm just mad at the sanctimonious, pseudo-superior way of being looked down on.

I definitely don't think they are the root cause. However, a large majority of younger people these days do have horrible attitudes and mindsets about life.

I absolutely agree.

Didn't read the article yet, so not sure it is saying they are the root cause.

They are not. It's not the article that annoys me, it is the debate itself.

I'm not gonna pretend that my anger is completely objective, it is influenced by past experiences.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Exactly...that is what me and my son are doing. We work together and learn together. I have to laugh because I'm in the Netherlands and he'll get on Skype with his friends in this generation and we'll talk about all the things they can create or become an Entrepreneur. Do there parents like this, I'm teaching them, no they don't. I know it's their only option to create the world they can survive. The old ways don't work anymore.

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Funny, that hasn't been my experience. Kids my age BRAG about how many hours they work.

"I did a 17 hour day yesterday and got 4 hours of sleep! [HASHTAG]#winning[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#adderall[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#coffee[/HASHTAG]"

But how hard did they work during those 17 hours? Hours at work and output aren't the same.

The data is coming in, and my family's experience backs it up with our businesses, it takes 1.5 millenials to do the same output as 1 boomer per hour. So yes, they may have been at work 17 hours, and got paid for 17 hours, but they only output 11 1/3 hours.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Another thing I'll point out is that the Millennial generation has the highest rates of depression and anxiety. So we're definitely not the happiest generation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.