The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Military & thinking about starting an inflatables rental business

miniguns81

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 3, 2012
I am currently on Active duty in the Navy and my wife and I have been discussing going into business renting inflatable bounce houses and other party equipment. It seems like a pretty decent business to get into since there is always the possibility of having to relocate and this is fairly fluid in that aspect. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips they would be willing to share. I know one problem area is going to be generating traffic to my website whenever we relocate (still haven't found a good way to do this).

Also does anyone know of any areas a company like this will not prosper? I've been wondering if people in San Diego rent bounce houses for their parties? I've never been there but I have heard they do not have large yards or areas to set these up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I am not seeing how having a physical business with all that equipment and having to rebuild all your contacts is a good business for someone who may have to relocate often.

To me a 100% online business makes more sense.

miniguns81

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 3, 2012
I did the 100% online business and it didn't really work out. What I have going for me is 1. I have kids in 3 different classes so for the next few years they will allow my wife and I to meet there new classmates parents. 2. My wife is very social and the President of the Navy woves club so she will have a captured audience (and a little influence) to persuade new contacts, and 3. I won't relocate very many more times if I even have to anymore (I'm fairly close to retirement).

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Best of luck to you.

I just don't see much profit in that business but who knows.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I did the 100% online business and it didn't really work out.

Before you start another business, you need to get really honest and clear about WHY this didn't work out.

I'm nervous for you that you think it is better to go into a higher risk business offline because your online business didn't work out. Maybe you only need to tweak your online business.

And also, all the thing you listed a "pluses" for your inflatables business, could just as easily be pluses for a lot of online businesses.

Best of luck, you deserve success.

miniguns81

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 3, 2012
Let me rephrase that. One of the previous online companies didn't work out because it was an online boutique with hand-made items and noone was able to produce quality work so it was impossible for my wife to keep up with the demand and she wanted to pursue her photography. It did very well for only investing $500 initially. And the second business we are incorporating into the bounce house business. It's a photography business, that is another reason we are thinking about doing this because it will allow us to market both business plus offer a unique product that I have not seen with any other party companies.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Also we are not pursuing another online business because we just can't think of anything that will cause either of us to be patinent about. (I'm not trying to get rich off this business just yet, just make a little extra income for a little bit....being a millionare will be in about 8-10 years:)

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
You and your wife have keen insight on being in military and military wives/families. What problems could you solve in that area? What value/joy could you bring to that market? An easy to use video conferencing package? Social networking site specifically for military families? etc....

Maybe even put out a survey to your group of what problems they have/wants/needs and come up with a solution.

Thank you for your service and your family sacrifice!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Hey Shipmate. I used to be in the Navy as well. I would first figure out the demand for bounce houses. If there is no demand it may be tough times convincing people they need to throw a bounce house party.

I would go after something with proven demand. It is easier to take market share then it is to create a market. Sure there is some demand but is it enough to throw your time, money, and effort towards this? I'd figure that out before you jump in.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.