The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Michael F*cking Dell

For any book discussion

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I haven't even finished reading this book, but I already want to write a review about it. I want to point out how incredibly valuable this book is; it's short, to the point, and filled with everything you need to know about innovating a business, whatever industry you're in.

First, let me say, that Apple sucks. And there's a lot of reasons for it, but the most important one is that it sucks because they're hard to use. Dell computers are easy to use. This is important in business.

To innovate a product, it's really just about making its working parts better and cheaper. Apple likes to make its parts, from the hardware to software, very difficult to change or use.

Think of the AK-47, it's a very popular gun because of its interchangeable parts, resistance to getting jammed, etc. Same thing with Dell. Did I just compare a laptop to an assault rifle? You bet your a$$ I did.

Business products, need to have interchangeable parts. A business needs to work like a watch, with the manual there for EVERYBODY in the company to look at it and go, "Hmm... that's how that thing works." This is what makes a business EFFICIENT and RUNNING SMOOTHLY, like a watch.

When you get companies like Apple, that close off a lot of their software, etc, it's hard for employees to enjoy their job, make suggestions, and really just want to improve the overall product.

So anyways, get this book! It's pretty cool.

There is a process in how he built his company. IBM was selling expensive computers, so Michael Dell bought the parts for cheaper and resold them without the retailer and made good margins, and passed on the savings to the customers.

"Wow! So revolutionary! I could've never thought of that."

He simply did this, over, and over, and over again, until he created Dell and sold it for 24 billion dollars. You want to be rich like Michael Dell? Find something that's expensive, make it cheaper and better, and pass on the savings to the customer.

Ta-da.

51GG-EH+wlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Dell-Strategies-Revolutionized-Essentials/dp/0060845724/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464693748&sr=1-1&keywords=michael dell

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
To innovate a product, it's really just about making its working parts better and cheaper. Apple likes to make its parts, from the hardware to software, very difficult to change or use.

Doesn't that show that Apple have the advantage over Dell?

A Dell customer could easily move away from Dell to anyone who competes on price. An Apple user would have to learn a whole new setup.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
I'm not sure if you have seen the latest movie about Steve Jobs and his story (the one with famous actors, I guess there are multiple movies), but it sheds some light in their design choices.
Apple likes to make hardware difficult to change or use? The more option for change you give someone, the more complicated it gets.
Apple wanted to build a system that is solid, does not allow any tweaking, thus require less room for human error upon customizing etc. The way I see it is you can either buy one of 3 (random number) recent Macbooks, which do everything you want pretty well but are slightly expensive, or compare every Dell, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba or Acer with each other to find one that suits your needs which might be cheaper. Not everybody has the time (or knowledge!) to do this.
Build your own system? Higher chance of instability, driver mismatch, etc. With an Apple this is impossible. Then again, indeed you pay more for it.
Pros and cons. (I'm not an Apple and iOS fan either)
Besides, switching from PC to Mac is indeed difficult at first, since things work differently. There's a lot of discussion about which is easier to pick up; some love Apple, some prefer Windows, some like Linux.

I don't really see how hating on Apple makes the book about Dell seem any good, though I will put it on the read list.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
First, let me say, that Apple sucks.

I will check out the book but Apple is a great product. Not a fan of the continuous new versions with the iPhone but on the laptop side they are amazing. I switched from PC to Mac last year and will never go back. I had a $1200 Sony laptop for work and it was always updating, crashing or just have a good old think ***loading...***. Quite the philosopher was Sony that one day he decided that he would rather think than work any more.

For the mac it took about a week to get used to the controls.I will never go back.

My Mac is a beast. I can open in the middle of the night and send an email within 10 seconds. Never any load time, multiple programs open all day, great all round. I can't picture programming, editing a video, listening to music and downloading files simultaneously on a PC, they just freeze up. Anyway not to kick of a classic Mac vs PC debate but they are worth the price tag.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.