The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Meditation Thread

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I can't stress how amazing meditation can be for ALL aspects of your life. but it is perfect for entrepreneurs.

Meditation is the process of clearing all the mental garbage we hold from the day to day. The fears, the doubts, the mental blockage, the lack of perspective. you get the point.

Just try it. Get yourself in a comfortable position. Make sure you have no distraction around. and just focus on your breathing. in through the nose, out through the mouth...deep breaths.

Just completely clear your head. think of nothing. be completely in the moment. incredibly hard to do for those with busy heads. keep at it.

Benefits:

-Clearer head
-Improved clarity
-Sense of perspective
-Less fears/doubts
-Calmer

Those are just to name a few. but now you see how perfect this is for an entrepreneur. it allows us to see the bigger picture in the day to day...not to caught up in the little things. helps release doubts/fears we might have. I think the biggest one is the improved clarity. the mind becomes a lot sharper, easy to think of different angles for business.

Give it a try. Can update this thread for techniques.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
One time I had a headache and was feeling bad. I meditated to a meditation audio. Afterward my head felt amazingly better.

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Been trying to get on a regular schedule, as when I was I was DEFINITELY more productive, better at making decisions from instinct, better at coming up with ideas etc.

Big advocate of meditation. I'm in no way some new-age hippie or anything, but I highly recommend it, at least 4 minutes a day seemed to do it for me.

Gonna get back onto it, starting right now!

Enlightenment come at me

Anthony Mathapo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 12, 2015
South Africa
It puts everything into perspective. we are being sold garbage from the moment we leave our homes to the moment we go to sleep, mainstream society will hypnotize you if you don't block out all the irrelevant nonsense with meditation and a proper diet for you immune system.

cool thread by the way...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Meditation has nothing to do with being a hippie. lol I think in the sixties we got that stereo type, meditation's been around for centuries. Meditation has to do with silencing the negative messages from the outside world, letting go of negative thoughts, and just allowing yourself to relax, and be in the now. Finding peace and tranquility in yourself while the world may be throwing a lot of garbage your way.

It does heighten your observation and awareness, and does help you see with clarity through the chaos and confusion of the world. And yes, it does help with headaches, body aches, and you're learning to take your focus off the negative aspects of the world. What ever you focus on becomes your reality, so if you discipline your mind, you're not bound to play victim, take things personally, and in a sense it helps you manage your emotions, feelings, and stress.

Depends on the method of meditation you use, but different lessons are in meditation. If Meditation wasn't useful, Military wouldn't use it, and most of them are not hippie's. lol

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Meditation has helped me focus my thoughts better and focus on things that actually matter. When you get into it, you can separate your thoughts, put them into perspective, and clear your mind with ease.

My routine: As soon as I wake up in the morning, I meditate for 20 minutes. I use a meditation block to sit on (it's four pieces of wood taped together haha) to be in a comfortable seated position. With my legs crossed, I sit in an upright position.

The first few weeks-months are not fun if you've never meditated before. Once you get past initial struggle you gain a new power of control over yourself and your thoughts. It's amazing.

ShakeItUp

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 30, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I have been thinking of getting into meditation for a while. How would you guys recommend a total beginner to go about it?

Are there any specific books or audio / guided meditations etc that you guys would recommend?

I do want to avoid a lot of the religious stuff that goes with it (e.g. majority of books I've seen on the kindle store link meditation to zen / buddhism).

Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I have been thinking of getting into meditation for a while. How would you guys recommend a total beginner to go about it?

Are there any specific books or audio / guided meditations etc that you guys would recommend?

I do want to avoid a lot of the religious stuff that goes with it (e.g. majority of books I've seen on the kindle store link meditation to zen / buddhism).
This is not really meditation, but effective:

Meditation coming from a successful entrepreneur:

The most important video of all:

ShakeItUp

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Apr 30, 2011
Sydney, Australia
This is not really meditation, but effective:

Meditation coming from a successful entrepreneur:

The most important video of all:

Thanks so much, those videos are awesome! I'll try to work this into my morning routine tomorrow!

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
I'm not the biggest fan of guided meditation, I usually prefer simply being still and concentrating on my breath for a few minutes, but these guys are a great resource if you like guided meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHonestGuys

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Any opinions on open eye meditation ?

When I meditate with my eyes closed its really easy to start thinking about stuff but when I am starting at the walls of my bedroom its really easy to not have any thoughts whatsoever.

When I stop, my inner voice seems to remain quiet around stimulus.

Or does opening your eyes destroy the purpose of meditation.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ

When I meditate with my eyes closed its really easy to start thinking about stuff but when I am starting at the walls of my bedroom its really easy to not have any thoughts whatsoever.

It's more so about finding your own inner peace. If you can calm your thoughts, be in the present moment, and/or focus where you want to direct your thoughts, then having your eyes opened or closed shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't say there is a right or wrong way to meditate.

YoungGun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 2, 2015

I have read some of Taming the Drunken Monkey, as my skills get better I will finish. It references Buddhism some, but is not dependent on it. Also, there are tips to being more aware and controlling emotions.

The best technique is the one that works for you, get creative, and open the mind! :smoking:

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
I hit the sauna for 10-15 minutes per night it helps me relax a lot but I still think too much.. I will lay down next time and do as you said : focus on my breathing. I hope the benefit will be 2x what it already is !
Thank you @jazb

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014

Not at all! The core of meditation is simply being "mindful". If you find it easier to have your eyes open, then do that. I personally like to visualise with my eyes closed while I'm meditating, personal preference really

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

When the voices talk, what do they say?

Do they say "**** up some commas"? Do they say "the more you work, the more money you make"? Do they say "let's get this money"? Do they say "money over everything"? Do they say "haters can't stop you, no matter how grumpy they are"? Do they say "hustle, hustle, hustle, HARD?"

Mine do.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto

Read This.
http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-English-Bhante-Henepola-Gunaratana/dp/0861719069/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437070585&sr=8-3&keywords=mindful meditation
Or anything by Jon Kabat-Zinn.

Most mindful meditation books are not religious, but rather explore the history/roots of meditation. To understand mediation you need to understand and embrace its 3,000 year history.

I also highly recommend you start with eye-open mindful meditation. Most students tend to fall-asleep when they start meditating with eyes closed. When in reality meditation is about falling-AWAKE.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.