The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maximum work focus – Advantages of working in (relative) isolation?

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
Has anyone on here ever just packed it up for a few weeks/months and gone somewhere away from home-life distractions to focus on a project?

If not, what do you think you would do (from an entrepreneurial perspective) if you were able to get 90 days off to go pretty much anywhere?

I’m curious to see what experiences people have had, what worked and didn’t, or just general thoughts or suggestions on the subject.

I ask about this because of my situation. With my current job, I work overseas 90+ hours a week for months at a time until I’m too burned out to go on, then take a couple of weeks off to decompress, then dive in again. But I was able to negotiate a better deployment schedule for 2018 where I work for 3-4 months, then have 3 months off, then I go back to work, and repeat. It’s a significant pay-cut, but the long-term payoff will be more than worth it.

I’m a single guy with no kids, so the extent of my responsibility is my cat and regular financial assistance for my parents and family.

My first 3-month “vacation” period is starting in early February, so I’m currently planning it out. I’m excited about this because I’ve “tried” (I know, I know…) to start businesses while deployed, but my work schedule is so erratic, and I’m always so burned out that it’s impossible to do it effectively.

So now I am finally facing the wonderful prospect of having an extended period with no obligations and no schedule beyond what I set for myself, and I am stoked! I’ve been brainstorming about what to do, where to go, etc.

So far, I’ve narrowed down that I’m staying overseas as long as I can (tax purposes). Trying to decide between a relatively isolated location (nice cabin in some woods with internet or an apartment in small village?) or a city somewhere.

As for what I’d like to accomplish, my primary goal for the first 3-month period is to focus on developing the skillset needed to build my own business without having to rely exclusively on hiring freelancers for anything technical or beyond my present ability.

And I’m curious, has anyone ever tried a polyphasic sleep schedule? Steve Pavlina’s blog series about it has been a favorite of mine for a long time and I’ve always wanted to try it. Just trying to decide whether or not to try the polyphasic schedule for a month or two and have 20 hours a day to work, or just keep to a more normal work schedule and have something of a life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Get some proper sleep, so your mind can function optimally.
You're trying to learn a skill, and nothing impairs cognitive functions like sleep deprivation.
So now is not the time to experiment with such sleep patterns.

Have you decided what specific skillsets you want to build?
That would play a significant role in determining if isolation would be effective.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.