The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maximizing ROI with Social Media Influencers

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
We've talked in depth about PPC ads and other internet advertising mediums on the forum, but the information on using social influencers seems to be minimal or low level and I would personally would like to know more about it.

What compelled me to start a new thread was a negative low-ROI experience that I had with an influencer.

My product is in women's sportswear.

The influencer has about 30k+ in followers on IG and matches our target demo damn near perfectly. Her audience is about 53% women. I expected 50% of them to be in my target demo. This influencer gets 800-1000 likes per post and around 30 comments.

The deal was she would post a picture of the product talking about how she has been looking for a solution to a certain problem when working out and finally found one (our product).

She posted it to her IG account and her story with references to our account and a link to our site.

After she posted it, she immediately got around 250 likes and I had 5 people convert to make product reservations on my website. After that it was crickets. Completely nothing. One or two comments, no likes to our IG account. The cost to convert her audience to my customers was about 15x higher than basically the same ad I posted on FB/ IG ads...

The kicker is that I thought an influencer would give me way better conversions because of the targeting and reach. I'm wondering if maybe her followers are bogus accounts (seems unlikely), if maybe we would have done better if there was a picture of her using the product, or if this was just some kind of fluke. Maybe I don't have enough data to justify my impressions.

Has anyone experience something similar to this?

Has anyone ran positive ROI campaigns using influencers?

People use influencers all of the time and they can't all be running negative ROI ads.

Either way, let's use this thread to share similar experiences to see if we can learn anything.

@Scot may be interested in this topic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I've been looking at influencers recently as well, and one great example came from Player Unknown Battleground (PUBG).

They took 2 main concepts:
1. Giving free product keys to Twitch players
2. Building a community around their game

(They utilized a landing page to sell their game. As opposed to everyone else using the standard steam listing. Aka, does your page look like every other ecomm shop listing? More on this in a bit...)

The streamers excitedly put their game on and played with genuine enthusiasm. Then the developers tacked on pay to play (ie, pay streamers) and suddenly the whole community knew about it.

You see, it wasn't a pay X and get Y from 1 test post. It's a movement, that even if you're not interested in that genre, you still heard about it.

Next they utilized their landing page to build a community through newsletters and a forum. Special perks for joining each. Early previews. Voting on what's coming up next. Etc.

This was a major differentiator, taking that artificially created virality, and building on top of it.

Take a look at their page:

Code:
https://playbattlegrounds.com/main.pu

Vs a standard listing:

Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214950/Total_War_ROME_II__Emperor_Edition/

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I've been looking at influencers recently as well, and one great example came from Player Unknown Battleground (PUBG).

They took 2 main concepts:
1. Giving free product keys to Twitch players
2. Building a community around their game

(They utilized a landing page to sell their game. As opposed to everyone else using the standard steam listing. Aka, does your page look like every other ecomm shop listing? More on this in a bit...)

The streamers excitedly put their game on and played with genuine enthusiasm. Then the developers tacked on pay to play (ie, pay streamers) and suddenly the whole community knew about it.

You see, it wasn't a pay X and get Y from 1 test post. It's a movement, that even if you're not interested in that genre, you still heard about it.

Next they utilized their landing page to build a community through newsletters and a forum. Special perks for joining each. Early previews. Voting on what's coming up next. Etc.

This was a major differentiator, taking that artificially created virality, and building on top of it.

Take a look at their page:

Code:
https://playbattlegrounds.com/main.pu

Vs a standard listing:

Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/214950/Total_War_ROME_II__Emperor_Edition/

Thanks for the input on getting creative with marketing, but I'm talking more about leveraging other people's audiences with paid promos on social media platforms to drive conversions.

Maybe I'm not seeing how this ties in...

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Thanks for the input on getting creative with marketing, but I'm talking more about leveraging other people's audiences with paid promos on social media platforms to drive conversions.

Maybe I'm not seeing how this ties in...

It's the same thing, just different platform. (twitch is social media for gaming)

A twitch influencer plays games, and their audience follows suit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.