The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Math/Finance/SW Guy (Trying to Merge into the Fastlane)

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Hi Fastlaners,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the community and say hello. Hi @MJ DeMarco A bit about me...

I am from the Boston area, and I am ashamed to say that I am a recovering slowlaner. Yes, it's true. I walked the traditional slowlane path for a long time (private Catholic all-boys high school, honors program at a good college for undergrad, Masters degree in Math at a great school, Actuary path briefly, SW Engineer briefly), and then I got fed up with it all.

After the actuary gig, I figured that finance and accounting wasn't for me. After the SW engineering gig, I realized that I don't fit into the standard-issue, cookie-cutter corporate world. Never did, never will - and I don't care how much bigger my bank account would be if I had stayed.

I teach and tutor math part-time now. It is extremely flexible (the college gives me classes and the agency sends me students, and I teach/tutor how I want). It also gives me time to read and explore fastlane ideas. The downfall: as you can guess, it doesn't pay much. I am careful with money and I am a saver, but I definitely need to earn more to get to Fastlane Freedom before I am 90 (I'm 32 now).

While I do enjoy teaching and tutoring, I'm sure that I can only teach the same math concepts to so many kids for so long before I get tired of it. So, I am trying to get into the fastlane (I've been working on a blog for almost a year, learning SEO, keyword research, etc.). However, I know I still have a long way to go.

I'm not scared of doing the work - I worked my a$$ off in HS to get into a good college, then in college to get into a good grad school, in grad school (while teaching) to get a good job, and studying mornings/nights/weekends while I worked full-time to pass actuarial exams. Only now, I realize that I should have been putting in that work for myself, not in pursuit of someone else's societally prescribed idea of what success is.

I have been lurking on the forum this past week or so, debating whether to buy MJ's books and go "all-in". I kept thinking, "Maybe I should just give up and look for a real job." (I have had these thoughts before.)

Just then, I got a call from an old friend (in fact, my best and oldest friend). For about 10 minutes, I listened to him bitch about his job and how stupid his coworkers, bosses, etc. are.

At that moment, I had an awakening. I realized that I would rather die than go back to that bullshit ever again. I swore in that moment that I would NEVER go back to that world of working for someone else - ever.

While still on the phone with my friend, I got out my credit card and bought the two books on Amazon. I will be reading through more of the Gold and Notable forum threads while I wait for the books to arrive.

MJ (and community members): thanks for making this community what it is. I can already see the insane value offered by everyone here. I know there is no magical formula to success, but there is still plenty of great stuff here at every level:
-mindset stuff to get your head in the right place to start a business
-strategy at a high level so you are heading in the right direction
-tactical threads on all sorts of businesses so you can execute on your ideas

Hopefully I can contribute and give back once I get my bearings and start accelerating. See you in the Fastlane, folks...

-jdm667

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SebastianNZ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jan 28, 2020
New Zealand
Welcome to the forum. I am willing to bet real money you won't be disappointed in the books. Finished the Millionaire Fastlane this morning and my brain has been completely rewired. I personally recommend starting with this book first.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...