Hello all. I'm a software developer who has been selling my own s/w for the past 10 years, and while I've done ok, eclipsing my yearly salary at my day job for a couple years, i'm not at the point where I can just quit my job and be able to count on a certain level of income. In fact, sales have been down in recent years despite advertising on FB. My organic SEO has my s/w on the first page of google, but that isn't a guarantee of success. I've been using MeetEdgar for the past month. Not sure yet if it's been real positive, but I do see some activity from it to some extent.
I'm also 58 years old and work for a major university and frankly the 75% tuition discount i get there makes it tough to give it up too. I need to hang on at least another 6 years until my youngest is through college and by then i'll be pretty close to retirement age. That is unless I can really kick this business into high gear to the point where the discount would not be worth the pain of staying. I'm part of a mastermind group and it's been very helpful. Just hoping to pick up some wisdom here in this forum. Any other s/w developers out there?
BTW I am using XOJO (formerly RealBasic and RealStudio) as my software development plaform. My degree is actually in art, so it's kind of crazy that I'd be running a software business online. I have sales automated so that when someone purchases, they get the serial number and download link to the final version of the s/w (there is a 14 day fully functional demo available so they can try before they buy). So for the most part it's passive income. I occasionally have tech support questions to answer, but it's not something I have to do too often. I could run this on the side till i retire if I wanted to without much trouble.
I'm also 58 years old and work for a major university and frankly the 75% tuition discount i get there makes it tough to give it up too. I need to hang on at least another 6 years until my youngest is through college and by then i'll be pretty close to retirement age. That is unless I can really kick this business into high gear to the point where the discount would not be worth the pain of staying. I'm part of a mastermind group and it's been very helpful. Just hoping to pick up some wisdom here in this forum. Any other s/w developers out there?
BTW I am using XOJO (formerly RealBasic and RealStudio) as my software development plaform. My degree is actually in art, so it's kind of crazy that I'd be running a software business online. I have sales automated so that when someone purchases, they get the serial number and download link to the final version of the s/w (there is a 14 day fully functional demo available so they can try before they buy). So for the most part it's passive income. I occasionally have tech support questions to answer, but it's not something I have to do too often. I could run this on the side till i retire if I wanted to without much trouble.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
