The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Greetings! Still trying to merge into the fast lane.

Patrick Besong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 8, 2014
Central PA
Hello all. I'm a software developer who has been selling my own s/w for the past 10 years, and while I've done ok, eclipsing my yearly salary at my day job for a couple years, i'm not at the point where I can just quit my job and be able to count on a certain level of income. In fact, sales have been down in recent years despite advertising on FB. My organic SEO has my s/w on the first page of google, but that isn't a guarantee of success. I've been using MeetEdgar for the past month. Not sure yet if it's been real positive, but I do see some activity from it to some extent.

I'm also 58 years old and work for a major university and frankly the 75% tuition discount i get there makes it tough to give it up too. I need to hang on at least another 6 years until my youngest is through college and by then i'll be pretty close to retirement age. That is unless I can really kick this business into high gear to the point where the discount would not be worth the pain of staying. I'm part of a mastermind group and it's been very helpful. Just hoping to pick up some wisdom here in this forum. Any other s/w developers out there?

BTW I am using XOJO (formerly RealBasic and RealStudio) as my software development plaform. My degree is actually in art, so it's kind of crazy that I'd be running a software business online. I have sales automated so that when someone purchases, they get the serial number and download link to the final version of the s/w (there is a 14 day fully functional demo available so they can try before they buy). So for the most part it's passive income. I occasionally have tech support questions to answer, but it's not something I have to do too often. I could run this on the side till i retire if I wanted to without much trouble.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007