The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mastermind Groups Forming

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Get the most out of your fastlane forum experience!

Years ago, I participated in a fastlane forum mastermind group, and it was very enriching. I would like to start another group, and possibly a platform for more groups to form.

Here is the original thread:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-fastlane-mastermind.16042/

And, I'd like to specifically quote @Russ Hfrom a post on that original thread, as he helped to give a framework to the original groups that were formed:

Great link, Yves. Rep speed + +

Here is the mastermind info I handed out at the B&P GT:

Moving Forward with a Mastermind Group:

1. Establish guidelines for how you operate with each other. ie. no putting down other speakers, bring solutions vs. problems, share time don't dominate, confidentiality, mutual respect etc. This is probably the most important step as it creates the atmosphere for you to operate in. I would keep them simple but clear.

2. Determine a focus for your meeting prior to the meeting. You may pick the topic one meeting, your buddy the next. We have done topics from taxes, to resources we use in our business e.g. printer, photographer etc., to the sales process and evaluating each others' marketing packets. This gets you thinking about what you want to do before you come together. This step made a big difference for us.

3. Start out sharing a success or breakthrough. This can be a personal or business example. This is like a celebration time and sets a wonderful tone. We are also beginning to ask each other if there is an area we need support on so everything is not always focused on the busy, happy, good.

4. Figure out a way so you are all bringing something to contribute. We decided to bring a resource to each meeting to share with the others. It can be an article, a tape, a book. Our commitment is to have six copies so we give them away to each other. We are having some good fun with this one.

Napoleon Hill coined the concept of the mastermind alliance in his classic book Think and Grow Rich. He believed that a group of like-minded, achievement-oriented individuals could dramatically leverage each other's success.

Whether or not you agree with all of Hill's ideas, the mastermind concept has proven itself over time as a valuable resource for people of every profession.

About a Mastermind Group (from Mark Sanborn):

Several years ago Scott Friedman approached me and six other Denver speakers about forming a local mastermind. Those people included Eric Chester, Mary LoVerde, Melanie Mills, Brian O'Malley and Brenda Abdilla. For fun we called ourselves the Magnificent Seven, but our intent was much more serious.

We wanted a group of fellow-speakers that could share, both personally and professionally, and build into each other's lives to not only grow our respective businesses, but to offer support and encouragement.

The most challenging aspect of our group was finding a date each month when all or most of us were available for a meeting. Scott handled this difficult task with a rule that whoever missed a monthly meeting would have priority in scheduling the next month's meeting. The system worked very well.
We met at Scott's at 9:00 am sharp. There was usually coffee and some fun unhealthy snacks. After settling in for the meeting, we would usually begin with a quick update, the emphasis being on "good news" since we last met. This was a great way to encourage each other and build momentum from our successes.

The next item of business was usually related to a theme or themes for the meeting (working with bureaus, internet, showcases, etc.) We all tried to bring resources to each meeting -- names of exceptional vendors, book recommendations, article reprints and the like).

Time allowing, we would devote 10-15 minutes to each member who needed help with a particular problem or opportunity. Not everyone had a need every meeting, but everyone contributed assistance. Over time the brainstorming and suggestions proved to be one of the most productive and profitable aspects of our association.

Somewhere around noon we would leave Scott's and head for a nearby restaurant to continue our conversations, and more often than not, just enjoy socializing. We were on our way back to our offices or out of town by 1:30 pm at the latest.

While I'd like to be able to offer "4 easy steps" to forming your own mastermind, there aren't any. What I can provide are some guidelines that you can adapt and build on as you pursue a meeting of the minds.

1. Identify speakers with complementary businesses, similar career levels and shared values. The diversity of the group is a strength, and everyone should have something they can bring to the party in the way of expertise. Be careful that there is not too much disparity between experience levels, or the sharing of ideas may not be as relevant. Shared values underpin everything you do as a group.

2. Determine a purpose. There are many different reasons why your mastermind might meet, ranging from lead sharing to being a support group or some mix of different elements. Be very clear on what you're trying to accomplish. The more specific you are, the more productive you'll be.

3. Establish guidelines. Talk about meeting time, length and attendance, and address the soft issues around how you treat each other. Melanie Mills puts it well when she says, "Establish guidelines for how you operate with each other like not putting down other speakers, a solutions-orientation versus a problem-orientation, sharing time so nobody dominates, confidentiality, and mutual respect. This is probably the most important step as it creates the atmosphere for you to operate in. I would keep them simple but clear."

4. Pick a leader. Whether this person holds the position forever or temporarily is less important than the need for someone who will coordinate schedules and meeting locations. Scott Friedman served unselfishly in this capacity for our group.

5. If it stops working, try something different. Recently our group had to deal with some difficult issues around members moving out of state, time commitments and revised goals. After several years, the nature of the group has changed because what once worked was no longer effective. Don't be afraid to revisit your purposes and goals frequently to address if adjustments should be made.

Being part of a speaker mastermind has been an incredibly enriching experience, both personally and professionally, for all of us.

Why not form one yourself and see if Napoleon Hill was right?

-Russ H.​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
So.... Interest?

My general idea (and what was helpful last time) is:

A Call (Frequency and Format to Be Agreed Upon By Group)
Skype Banter Between Calls

The purpose of the group is:

• Accountability
  • Brainstorming / Problem Solving
  • Sharing Information and Resources

If you are interested, please reply with the following:

1) Desired Frequency of Call

A) Once a Week
B) Every Other Week
C) Once a Month

2) Would you like a Group with Members in:

A) Similar Vehicle (ie:E-Commerce, Real Estate, Self-Pub, etc.)
B) Diverse Vehicle

And... Please state your area of interest.

(There could be advantages and disadvantages to each. For Example: Similar Vehicle may have better resources and ideas to share. Different Vehicles may help yo think outside the box and find creative solutions.)

Your Answers To the Above Will Help Us All Develop Groups.

I will NOT BE ASSIGNING PEOPLE TO GROUPS.

As you see people respond with compatible interests, please take the initiative to form your own groups.

I recommend that your form groups of 4 to 6 people. More than that, and it may become too cumbersome. Less, and you may be cutting the potential of the group short.

Last edited:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
interested (deja vu) ;)

will there be a theme? eg writers?

I've been involved in two of these groups and the one that had a group of people all doing roughly the same thing worked the best.

pande

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 5, 2013
I'm interested! My business falls under the SAAS category.

Update:

Once a week or every other week.

Internet based business, prefer to have at least one other SAAS business owner in the mastermind group.

SAAS

Last edited:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
1: Once a week.

2: Either would work. I like the diverse because it can exercise a broader range of skills but similar can produce more results.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm interested in a group that:

Does a Phone Call Once a Week, or Twice a Month.

And, is Primarily Comprised of Writers / Self Publishers.

I am also interested in a Once a Month Cross Vehicle Group.

Last edited:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

A) Once a Week
B) Every Other Week
C) Once a Month

Any of the above can work for me.

A) Similar Vehicle (ie:E-Commerce, Real Estate, Self-Pub, etc.)

OMG!!! Hey Wild Ambitions!!

Miss you :)

And, what is your area of expertise? @wildambitions

Last edited:

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013

Once per week - Every Other Week

E-commerce or Self-pub….

but open to all areas….

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm interested, but I would like to have a group with a buy-in, some skin keeps people from dropping in/out and making it a low priority.

I agree with you! Ground rules need to be established and agreed upon for each group prior to first call.

For Example:

• This is a commitment. Are calls occur during (x time) and it is expected that this is a priority for you.
  • The point is x, y, z. We expect that you will treat others in the group with tough love, and respect. Hold people's feet to the fire, and at the same time, treat them with respect.
  • Each person in the group will take a turn being the moderator of the group - responsible for keeping the discussion moving. Enforce forward momentum, and encourage side conversations to happen on skype.
  • The Format Of the Calls Will Be: Each person spends x amount of time giving update, asking question/presenting challenge. Then other's will have x amount of time for ideas / feedback. When time is up, move on to next person.
  • Etc. Etc.
Must agree to the above (modify, add, subtract for your particular group) before first meeting.

Last edited:

sal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 14, 2012
Great idea!

A) Once a Week

Self-pub/

Interested in participating in an action orientated group full of people who know more than I do :)

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 18, 2014
Super interested :)

Once a Week (I'm in Bali at the moment, 'though, so my time zone is 15+ PST)

Similar Vehicle

Online activities - primarily Internet Marketing, Blogging, Content Creation, but am also interested in E-Commerce

I'd be down for the whole writing a check thing to make sure everyone's invested in the mastermind :)

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Im definetly interested.

Call frequency preference: 2 / month
I think similar vehicle but not against a diversified group.

My interests are: go from concept to full blown ecommerce sales.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I would be interested.

Once a week or once every two weeks.

Ecommerce would be ideal.

Would be most interested in a structured mastermind.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
In addition to those that have already posted here, I'd like to tag a few people that I would like to be in an ecommerce mastermind with

@ZDS @Darius @TopChef @Hong King Kong

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013

once per week or every other week

ecommerce

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
In addition to those that have already posted here, I'd like to tag a few people that I would like to be in an ecommerce mastermind with
@ZDS @Darius @TopChef @Hong King Kong

Sounds good, count me in!

But do keep in mind, since getting my a$$ whooped at B&P...I'm on a completely new business path. So I'm not really in Ecommerce anymore, but the service I aim to provide will definitely help E-commerce stores cut their costs. I'd love to be in the mastermind group and see what value I can provide, and hear about you guy's pain points.

Me & my 3 roomates from B&P already formed a mastermind with weekly calls and punishments... failure to meet our weekly goals = $100 in the pot for B&P tickets next year to give away. fail 3 times and we're cut.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.