The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MASKS: To Wear or Not to Wear? You decide!

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Shawn Stevenson, the author of best selling book Sleep Smarter, spent TWO MONTHS scouring over every piece of clinical evidence he could find to produce this informative video. I'd ask you kindly to watch this video from start to finish, as it matters immensely, especially for those of you with children.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
There's no debate on Masks, no matter how Ideologically or Religiously insane parts of the USA have become. It's a Binary result of True (1).

And you don't have to be a doctor to know a virus that's transmitted primarily from a persons mouth can be largely or completely blocked from spreading by covering your mouth.
It's not Rocket Science!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=161&v=A0UclAmrhVI&feature=emb_logo

Speaking of doctors how are these lunatics allowed to practice medicine? In Europe they would be locked up in Psychiatric hospitals...

lunatic.png

Last edited:

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I appreciate your post op, but I honestly don't have an hour to devote to watching... any video that doesn't have to do with web design atm :rofl: . Could you just give us the gist?

I have a feeling this thread is going to get landfilled... too hot-button

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
I appreciate your post op, but I honestly don't have an hour to devote to watching... any video that doesn't have to do with web design atm :rofl: . Could you just give us the gist?

I have a feeling this thread is going to get landfilled... too hot-button
I understand, 50 minutes is pretty damn long, but it's a great video to stack up on facts to prove your argument when someone disagrees with you. Even the first 20 minutes alone are pretty informative. The gist is that masks are highly ineffective at carrying out their purpose. The surprising thing is that, studies have repeatedly shown that wearing one actually INCREASES the rate of sickness; then he goes on to prove why.

Studies that support the mandation of wearing a mask conducted tests that were oftentimes done on animals, such as putting a surgical mask between their two cages, and using predictive models that produce their assessments based on how droplets and aerosols behave - NOT on a SINGLE HUMAN. In addition, they also conducted tests where they have people put on a mask for one minute, cough into a petri dish and take the mask off. Yet countless health experts have been using these studies as evidence to support the idea that masks are a somewhat pandemic saviour.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Really, the discussions about the virus have reached a point (like any topic these days) that I just don't want to participate in the discussion anymore.

I _do_ believe the government is F*cking with us. And like always, when the chance presents itself, they _will_ use it to cut freedoms with everyone cheering "Yay!".

But wearing a mask is not going to close my chakras, decrease my chi, impede my freedom of speech, or introduce fascism. When you're around vulnerable people, you wear a mask, too (take cancer treatment, for example).

Is COVID as dangerous as they paint it? I highly doubt it. And sorry for saying so, but it running rampant would actually be great for society as a whole, from a statistical point of view.

People over the age of 70 die from infections. That's hardly "a new and unknown threat".

It's not exactly the Black Death running around. Do I have to catch it? No. Would I want to put my mother at risk? No. So I wear a mask. That's it. And it's not keeping me from saying "Something about this whole pandemic smells terribly fishy and wrong."

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I find it hard to believe any information these days that I can't personally prove myself to be true. There are too many agendas being played out and it seems to me that everywhere you look the general public are the ones being played.

We have the likes of Facebook and Instagram removing information as 'false' but who actually knows these days what is false and what isn't?

I watched a video on Rupert Murdoch yesterday (an Australian living in England) who brought about Brexit through his media manipulation. He was totally instrumental with getting Trump elected as well. Everything is smoke and mirrors and I trust no one.

Nobody just reports facts. They cherry pick the titbits that forward their own agenda's and blow them up 9 feet tall. And it makes me sick to the stomach.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I wish wearing a mask would have been made a law 75 years ago (or even 75 minutes ago). Everyone spits a little when we talk and a mask would prevent it for the most part...... not even talking about Corona, just spit in general. And as for social distancing..... right up my alley. I like for people to stay the hell away from me. Don't stand right up on me in line. Don't sit by me in a cafe if you have the option to spread out. If we are in a stadium of 100,000 seats..... why do you need to sit right by me? Corona has nothing to do with it..... get the hell away!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
There are "proven reports" saying wearing masks is useless.

There are "proven reports"saying wearing masks help slow the spread of the virus.

Since it's 50-50%, doesn't it make more (common) sense to take the safe route and wear it?
I mean, it's not going to kill you or make you lose $20 million in your bank....

humananalytics

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 7, 2020
USA
I find it hard to believe any information these days that I can't personally prove myself to be true. There are too many agendas being played out and it seems to me that everywhere you look the general public are the ones being played.

I agree. I work on the business side of the medical space, with many colleagues who have MDs/PhDs. So while I'm no doctor, I've become pretty good at understanding and reading clinical studies. That's usually how I form my opinions.

HOWEVER, even then it's pretty hard. Even if I had a medical degree, it's easy for 2 people to read the same study and draw different conclusions based on study parameters. So I'm pretty okay most of the time having "I don't know" be my answer. Also, while we should value the opinion of experts, experts themselves often disagree.

For example for hydroxychloroquine, I found the study that the viral doctor was talking about, and it was a very weak study (1 person, observational study, correlation=/=causation). Then there were large double blind randomized studies (considered one of the most robust methods) showing there to be no effect of hydroxychloroquine. Then there are other doctors/studies that say hydroxychloroquine does work - but only with a specific demographic group and under certain conditions - which actually doesn't contradict the previous double blind randomized study results.
  • For me, what does this mean? I don't know and I'm okay to say that, even though I'd probably be more informed than most.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013

We have the likes of Facebook and Instagram removing information as 'false' but who actually knows these days what is false and what isn't?

I watched a video on Rupert Murdoch yesterday (an Australian living in England) who brought about Brexit through his media manipulation. He was totally instrumental with getting Trump elected as well. Everything is smoke and mirrors and I trust no one.

Nobody just reports facts. They cherry pick the titbits that forward their own agenda's and blow them up 9 feet tall. And it makes me sick to the stomach.
Nailed it!

humananalytics

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 7, 2020
USA
Studies that support the mandation of wearing a mask conducted tests that were oftentimes done on animals, such as putting a surgical mask between their two cages, and using predictive models that produce their assessments based on how droplets and aerosols behave - NOT on a SINGLE HUMAN. In addition, they also conducted tests where they have people put on a mask for one minute, cough into a petri dish and take the mask off. Yet countless health experts have been using these studies as evidence to support the idea that masks are a somewhat pandemic saviour.

I'm sorry. But that is not true. At this point there are a decent number of human studies. All free for access at PubMed.

You can go to PubMed, search "C0VlD-19 Mask", and you'll find many results. To find more information than the abstract, you might need to search for the DOI, which will usually link you to the journal the study came from (just make sure it is a reliable journal).

I did about 5 minutes of searching and found study with a human sample size of >3,000 (Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks). I'm not going to sit here and debate which studies are right or wrong, but it is factually incorrect for this guy to studies have not been done on humans.

Morgan77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jan 1, 2020
And as for social distancing..... right up my alley. I like for people to stay the hell away from me. Don't stand right up on me in line. Don't sit by me in a cafe if you have the option to spread out. If we are in a stadium of 100,000 seats..... why do you need to sit right by me? Corona has nothing to do with it..... get the hell away!
... Don't use the urinal right next to mine:rofl:

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
I have an 8 month old son, so I wear it for that reason alone. If it was just me and my wife I wouldn't wear one unless it was very crowded.

Neighbor has Covid he caught offshore working and is doing fine 50-58 yrs of age.

Sister-in-law's brother just died last week, 35-40 yrs old, of Covid. He was heavy set and had diabetes so that probably contributed.
His roommate, 58-60 yrs old also caught it and died 2 days ago.

Highly dependent on person to person the affects, but do you really want to risk it if you are not in perfect health?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I don't get why wearing a piece of cloth over your face is such a big deal? It's literally the smallest inconvenience for me to put on a mask before I go into a store.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
While we’re all discussing masks, the Equality Act just got passed through the House.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I agree. I work on the business side of the medical space, with many colleagues who have MDs/PhDs. So while I'm no doctor, I've become pretty good at understanding and reading clinical studies. That's usually how I form my opinions.

HOWEVER, even then it's pretty hard. Even if I had a medical degree, it's easy for 2 people to read the same study and draw different conclusions based on study parameters. So I'm pretty okay most of the time having "I don't know" be my answer. Also, while we should value the opinion of experts, experts themselves often disagree.

For example for hydroxychloroquine, I found the study that the viral doctor was talking about, and it was a very weak study (1 person, observational study, correlation=/=causation). Then there were large double blind randomized studies (considered one of the most robust methods) showing there to be no effect of hydroxychloroquine. Then there are other doctors/studies that say hydroxychloroquine does work - but only with a specific demographic group and under certain conditions - which actually doesn't contradict the previous double blind randomized study results.
  • For me, what does this mean? I don't know and I'm okay to say that, even though I'd probably be more informed than most.

There's an old joke that goes something like, "The fourth law of thermodynamics states that for every PhD, there's an equal and opposite PhD."

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
I've only used masks for two reasons:
- They cover your eyes at night, so you can sleep better without light.
- They protect you against cops who fine you $100 (if you're not in a main street, the risk is low)

Whatever the virus does is not my concern.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
There are "proven reports" saying wearing masks is useless.

There are "proven reports"saying wearing masks help slow the spread of the virus.

Since it's 50-50%, doesn't it make more (common) sense to take the safe route and wear it?
I mean, it's not going to kill you or make you lose $20 million in your bank....
It's like anything else. There are good studies and there are BS studies. Or scientific, unbiased studies, and pseudo-scientific, interests behind, studies.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Like others have said previously, there's good arguments on each side for masks and not for masks. Personally I'm of the opinion that masks are largely useless outside of a medical environment, where you're dealing directly with sick people who are coughing/symptomatic.

It's mostly just an annoyance, Because I like being social, and when you can't see a persons damn face plus having their mouth covered, it's really hard to have a conversation. We're designed to pick up on facial cues, and when you can't see them it makes conversation very weird.

As far as keeping up with studies, and trying to gather information to argue my no mask point, I've pretty much given up. It was making me stressed and mad, because it's pretty obvious the direction we're headed as far as masks are concerned. We're going to be wearing them at least through the fall, I wouldn't be surprised if we still had to wear them in the spring next year.

I can argue that masks are useless until I'm blue, and ultimately nothing would change because most of the governments around the world have already made the decision to require face coverings, wether they work or not.

I don't think it's part of some grand conspiracy either, I think it's just bureaucrats playing it safe so they don't hurt their chances of reelection by "doing nothing" about COVID.

The more people get sick and die under their watch, wether it's their fault or not, the more incompetent they look, hurting their chances of holding power.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Don't stand right up on me in line. Don't sit by me in a cafe if you have the option to spread out. If we are in a stadium of 100,000 seats..... why do you need to sit right by me?

Personally I put it down to your magnetic personality, likeability and over friendliness.;)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Personally I put it down to your magnetic personality, likeability and over friendliness.;)

I've honestly been doing this social distancing thing for my whole life, all of a sudden its a ''thing''

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

If minivan man attends the next fastlane summit we should all huddle around him together :rofl:

DavidTT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Aug 3, 2016
In all honesty, at the beginning of this whole pandemic here in Canada, I was following all of the safety measures put into place. Cleaning my hands at any given opportunity, social distancing, wearing a mask, not touching my face, not visiting people etc and all was good. Once the nice weather came, the only thing I started changing was not wearing the mask because it was beautiful outside. Although I've been wearing the mask for 4 months, after 2 weeks of not wearing it, I caught COVID and was tested positive lol.
Maybe it's just a coincidence but I think that wearing the damn thing might have prevented it.

Jemmalee

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jun 15, 2020
UK

short but sweet answer from me.

No, I will not wear or use a mask and haven’t yet.
I refuse to conform to my newly introduced religion ‘ Governmentism’.

Successful Steve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 3, 2018
There's no debate on Masks, no matter how Ideologically or Religiously insane parts of of the USA have become. It's a Binary result of True (1).

And you don't have to be a doctor to know a virus that's transmitted primarily from a persons mouth can be largely or completely blocked from spreading by covering your mouth.
It's not Rocket Science!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=161&v=A0UclAmrhVI&feature=emb_logo

Speaking of doctors how are these lunatics allowed to practice medicine? In Europe they would be locked up in Psychiatric hospitals...

View attachment 34301

You will make a good puppet for China when they do eventual world domination.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.