The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
Not sure if this is the place for this question but here we go. I am tired of looking for a job, and frankly deserve more then that anyway. I want to restart my business, but my funds are non existant. I am in the construction industry, mainly cabinetry and furniture. I do have a website, but it needs updated and I don't have access. I have been advertising on craigslist and the pennysaver for free but am not getting responses. My question is where are the best places for free advertising that will actually work? Do they even exist?

Second, I was in business for 4 years and did a lot of cabinet work for a lot of people. In this situation, since I offer a service, don't people normally call you back if they want something else, or is it worth making a big list and contacting them? I have a guy that is working with me now as a sales person and he keeps pushing for the list. Says it's a gold mine. I say I did a lot of work for them and they were happy with my service. If they want something they will call. Am I wrong, or should we bother them.

Finally, about my website. My ex-wife has the program on her computer and it's licensed software that isn't transferable. She refuses to update the website or take it down. So it sits there with the wrong address and some false information. Is there a way to gain control of the website from my computer, or will it need to be cancelled and re-done?
Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
In regard to the list, I can't see it possibly hurting any to send them a simple letter or call saying "Hey I hope you like the work we did for you. If you're interested in having anything else done, don't hesitate to give us a call." That isn't overly aggressive to the point where you'd "bother" anyone and I'm willing to bet that letter or call would actually produce some repeat business or even gain you new customers from referrals.

That's minimal energy, effort, and work that could pay big dividends for you in the longrun.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
The list is a good source of referrals. As long as the customer was happy with your work ask them if they know anybody else that could use your services. Maybe even offer a referral reward. I would make a list and use it.

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
The way I understand it is that she has a program called Cutesite builder or something to that effect. It is software that she purchased and installed on her computer and is made to build and manage the website. She says it's not transferrable. I can look at the website, I just can't make changes. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but she isn't being very helpful to the situation. I've been told to sue her and force her to give me the access, but it's just one more battle I need to avoid with her.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
The way I understand it is that she has a program called Cutesite builder or something to that effect. It is software that she purchased and installed on her computer and is made to build and manage the website. She says it's not transferrable. I can look at the website, I just can't make changes. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but she isn't being very helpful to the situation. I've been told to sue her and force her to give me the access, but it's just one more battle I need to avoid with her.

Regardless... the site would have to be hosted somewhere. Where is it hosted... who pays for the url registration and the hosting fees? That is what you need to know before changing anything.

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
It is hosted through Cox communications. The website is free when you purchase their high speed internet service. But she expanded it with a different software.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I am confused about your website. Do you own your URL? Where is the URL hosted? Is her computer the server? Or is your ex-wife the only one who has the passwords needed to access the files/server? Something doesn't sound quite right here.

Regardless... the site would have to be hosted somewhere. Where is it hosted... who pays for the url registration and the hosting fees? That is what you need to know before changing anything.

OK, let's try again...
1. Do you own the url? - If you do you are responsible for paying for it whenever the registration is due.
2. Is your ex-wife the only one who has acess to the server for access to the files?
3. Are you paying for the hosting fees?

You need to know this information before anything can change. IF, you own the url, you should have access to where the files are hosted... IF, you do, then you can simply change the DNS and point your url to a server of your choice. IF, you have access to the server, you can make copies of your files. IF, you make copies of you files, you can host your url wherver you want, and upload the files and make the changes. If you have access. What are the facts here? You have not answered the questions that hve been presented and no one can lead to resolution w/o answers and facts.

Good Luck!

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
It is hosted through Cox communications. The website is free when you purchase their high speed internet service. But she expanded it with a different software.

What Wildambitions is trying to explain is that the program she used for the website is only a tool to build websites - the website itself can be accessed through the service provider (In that case Cox communications) and be deleted/copied/directed to a different adress.

If you remember the username & password you used when connecting to the internet through Cox , I bet that if you go to their website and log in with the same username & password, and edit the website.

Also - if you call the company and tell them you want to take it off they will probably do it for you or explain you how.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
What Wildambitions is trying to explain is that the program she used for the website is only a tool to build websites - the website itself can be accessed through the service provider (In that case Cox communications) and be deleted/copied/directed to a different adress.

If you remember the username & password you used when connecting to the internet through Cox , I bet that if you go to their website and log in with the same username & password, and edit the website.

Also - if you call the company and tell them you want to take it off they will probably do it for you or explain you how.

This is all true but the name on the contract of the URL and who is paying the URL registration bill is big time, important here. That is going to establish ownership of the domain.

kolwdwrkr by the time you iron all that out you could have 100's of domains and websites. Unless the domain name is one in a million you are wasting time. Register another domain on nameboy for $15 and host it on hostgator for $7.95 a month. You get email addresses with hostgator. You will be in control of all of it without dispute. You can have a simple wordpress website up in 30 minutes. Good luck kolwdwrkr.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
kolwdwrkr by the time you iron all that out you could have 100's of domains and websites. Unless the domain name is one in a million you are wasting time. Register another domain on nameboy for $15 and host it on hostgator for $7.95 a month. You get email addresses with hostgator. You will be in control of all of it without dispute. You can have a simple wordpress website up in 30 minutes. Good luck kolwdwrkr.

I don't think it is as much the name as the content that is on the site. THAT might could be a significant amount of work to duplicate.

This is all true but the name on the contract of the URL and who is paying the URL registration bill is big time, important here. That is going to establish ownership of the domain.

Yes. AND I was hoping to get kolwdwrkr to do some of his own due diligence by finding out all the answers to the questions so his plan can be created as to how to resolve this. Only having some of the pieces is not going to cut it here. Find out the answers and THEN make an educated decision to determine the BEST course of action.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.