The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marijuana Millionaire

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Great title eh? Well guys I live in Colorado and there is a solid chance weed will be LEGAL (not solely medicinal) before this time next year. Now while I don't smoke it, that does not mean I don't understand the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars that are about to be pumped into my state, there is A LOT of money to be made if the deal goes through.

So let's hear all you guys' ideas on how to get rich from pot, don't say sell it and don't say grow it, every stoner over the age of 21 will already be doing that. Think shipping, distribution, licences, etc. (the more technical stuff that stoners will completely overlook haha)

Just brainstorming, I would love to get in on this deal if it happens, I can't handle with the weed or paraphernalia personally, but a company owned by me (and an adult) probably could. This is the modern day gold rush, what shovels should & could you sell?

:smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF: :smxF:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
Create a marketplace like ebay for marijuana only. Charge fees per listing and comission on each sale lol
You would need a customer service team with people who are high all the time :thumbsup: It'll still be better than ebays CS

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
My cousin is already selling in Colorado (dispensaries, medical). I'm afraid you're a little bit behind the game, unless you can innovate and add massive value to this market.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Interesting thought-process, I like it! Thinking out loud, what about selling growing tools, lights, equipment? Or what about information? Such as guides/books on growing, cultivating, storage, etc.

Funny, I was just talking to someone who believes it will be legalized nationally 2014. I'm not sure I believe this, but if we do see widespread legalization, there'd definitely be fastlane potential, especially via Internet sales. One member here (I won't say who, because I wouldn't want to steal his thunder) has already tapped into this trend with a pretty sleek product.

It makes you wonder...you know how it's considered hip and urbane to brew your own beer or make your own wine? It will be fascinating to see if this trend applies to marijuana, and how this plays out business-wise.

Thinking way outside the box, what about any fastlane potential for clever/mocking/edgy tee-shirts, bumper stickers, etc., related to the whole legalization thing.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Oooh, a T-shirt theme idea -- Rocky Mountain High sports jersey with a marijuana leaf mascot.

(Edit: Or maybe the mascot should be a cartoon stoner.)

Last edited:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Some awesome ideas here, just from thinking out the process, with the hundreds of new growers that will be made, distributing grow lights (at wholesale) to dispensaries/grow shops might not be a horrible idea. Edit: damn they already have "hydro sores" for hydroponic "gardening"

My cousin is already selling in Colorado (dispensaries, medical). I'm afraid you're a little bit behind the game, unless you can innovate and add massive value to this market.

Right now you have to go to the doctor (18 & over) and get a medical license, while this is a really easy process, I am sure there are thousands of people who don't smoke enough or are not "serious" enough about smoking to go get a card. The biggest opportunity I see here is in the growers, now tons of people will get grow licences because every stoner wants to grow his own weed :). I wouldn't be surprised to see the industry double in size if the bill is passed

Last edited:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I wouldn't be surprised to see the industry double in size if the bill is passed

I agree. And I actually think it would more than double. I know several established professional people who might've smoked it in college because they had little to lose, but don't smoke it anymore because the "reward," is fleeting and the long-term consequences (potential fines, jail-time, public humiliation, job loss) isn't worth the risk. People in this category, IMO, would be unlikely to go the "medical use" route, but might become casual users/growers if it were full-out legalized.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
i just thought of something

could this affect the music industry? and the fashion industry

maybe there's a 60s revival coming around the corner!

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs

awesom-o

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Aug 10, 2011
United Kingdom
Create a marketplace like ebay for marijuana only. Charge fees per listing and comission on each sale lol
You would need a customer service team with people who are high all the time :thumbsup: It'll still be better than ebays CS

Best idea so far in my opinion

Only thing is that you'll spend your life policing it

Also not sure if online sales would be permitted under the new law?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Look at the 'picks and shovels' analogy from the gold rush.

The ones that made the big bucks weren't they miners, they were companies like Levi Strauss that were selling work clothes.

Look at hydroponics systems, inventory control systems, import/export of seeds, lighting (as previously mentioned), or even warehouse space to rent to multiple growers.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Look at hydroponics systems, inventory control systems, import/export of seeds, lighting (as previously mentioned), or even warehouse space to rent to multiple growers.

This is absolutely the best answer in here so far.

The only other option I'd even consider (from a fastlane perspective) is opening up a franchise of dispensaries and working on them (not in them).

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
This is absolutely the best answer in here so far.

The only other option I'd even consider (from a fastlane perspective) is opening up a franchise of dispensaries and working on them (not in them).

One of my best friends is a relatively large grower in CA. He does well, but there are lots of opportunities around this business.

If you are into real estate, I really think there is a huge opportunity to create full service indoor grow houses in discrete warehouses. There are (and will be even more) a lot of people who want to grow, but don't have the resources to build out a proper grow house.

Imagine having a a 100k ft2 warehouse segmented out and set up with hydroponics, lighting, packaging etc. You could charge a very nice premium for this.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL

The ones that made the big bucks weren't they miners, they were companies like Levi Strauss that were selling work clothes.

My thoughts exactly, facilitate the need

Crack the code to growing weed and live stoned for a lifetime

1 hour grow week - Lazy man's guide to growing weed.

Rich Dad, Stoned Dad

:smilielol:

Imagine having a a 100k ft2 warehouse segmented out and set up with hydroponics, lighting, packaging etc. You could charge a very nice premium for this.

AWESOME IDEA. Anyone want to go in with me and fund the purchase of a warehouse? :thumbsup:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Sell pizza

Can-I-get-two-large-medium-pizzas_o_141913.jpg

Leonard Dollars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 26, 2012
One of my best friends is a relatively large grower in CA. He does well, but there are lots of opportunities around this business.

If you are into real estate, I really think there is a huge opportunity to create full service indoor grow houses in discrete warehouses. There are (and will be even more) a lot of people who want to grow, but don't have the resources to build out a proper grow house.

This crossed my mind again earlier. I love this idea and see it as being extremely fast lane. Imagine franchising this system. Turn key hydroponic growing systems set up in varying sizes. As the size of the area you rent increases so does your fee. Areas could go 2.5x2.5, 5x5, 8x8, and so on. I also picture it working the best if it's set up like a self storage facility with each grow area completely quarantined from the next. You could also tie in teaching.

Just bouncing some thoughts here since I live in one of the states where medicinal is legal. We could be one of the next for complete legalization.

Leonard Dollars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 26, 2012
This thread also reminds me of

[video=youtube;LPgn_HH5CeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPgn_HH5CeM&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

Turboboost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 11, 2012
I don't know what the new laws will be like but maybe you could organize an annual Grower's Festival in your town and let the growers, equipment sellers and others sell their stuff there. And there could even be a Weed Queen competition, various seminars etc...

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
AWESOME IDEA. Anyone want to go in with me and fund the purchase of a warehouse? :thumbsup:

And then set it up? And then run it? and then, and then, and...

You can't wait for the success to come to you, you have to walk each step to it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Too bad you can't short the price of weed. Supply will be up, demand will be down, the risk associated with transport and distribution is minimized, weed will be cheaper than ever if it is legalized.

I have watched that weed store show on discovery a few times and the government just screws with them and does things to try to put them out of business. I think the federal laws and state laws butt up against each other in this instance. I think you could still be busted by DEA correct?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I love the warehouse space idea! That is smart!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
And then set it up? And then run it? and then, and then, and...

You can't wait for the success to come to you, you have to walk each step to it.

I was joking...

Edit: I completely understand the process that comes before any success, if I wanted to take certain steps, I would; maybe I am already taking those steps and just don't post about it?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Too bad you can't short the price of weed. Supply will be up, demand will be down, the risk associated with transport and distribution is minimized, weed will be cheaper than ever if it is legalized.

I have watched that weed store show on discovery a few times and the government just screws with them and does things to try to put them out of business. I think the federal laws and state laws butt up against each other in this instance. I think you could still be busted by DEA correct?

Yes in fact the DEA has recently arrested something like 50 owners of stores in CA even though they were licensed by the state of CA.

Now there is a racket, get people to pay for a license which is against federal law but you still get to keep the hundreds of thousands of dollars you charged the people.

If it does become legal on a national level how about federally paid for rehab centers as your fast lane business :)

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
The market is already flooded.
The large players are already there...and the small guys can still just grow a few plants in their house and make good side money.

Once its legalized prices will drop like crazy.
Marijuana is really easy to grow and anyone can get into it...plus, with you not smoking or knowing a lot of smokers you would probably have to learn a lot.

A large supplier of goods:
Grow Lights by High Tech Garden Supply | Your Online Hydroponics Store

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Start a for-profit organization that accepts funding and donations from people and business who oppose the idea and use a percentage of proceeds to launch marketing campaigns against the use. Something like thetruth.com and Whale Wars.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Possibly new forms of insurance that spring up that could be fastlane? Anytime public health is involved, the insurance industry profits handsomely.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
If the market is going to be flooded with nug, and the supply is down, I think that would be a good time to BUY. Create a product with not a lot of supply, increase the demand, and SELL. For someone to say that all the big people are already in, and everything is already done is hogwash. There will be 1000's of new food products if it does ever become completely legal, and that is just food products. There will be a gold rush of businesses, look at Colorado as being a precursor to the movement the entire nation is about to undertake. The question isn't if it is going to happen, it is when. Will be a great time for many consumers to turn producers, I mean for one your competing against a bunch of potheads, nothing wrong with them, but lets just say they aren't the best at managing their time wisely.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011