The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mansion owners?

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I love big houses just as much as I love cars. Who on here has a mansion? I don't right now but I will. Please share some pictures as well!

-Andrew

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm just the opposite. I'm all about small houses.

• Less of a stress on the earth
  • Less to clean
  • We are all in the same room 95% of the time anyway
  • More money to make the home beautiful and well crafted
  • More money for Investments
  • Did I mention less to clean?

For me, it is bye bye McMansion - Hello quality of life.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Our house is 2,760 square feet
and that's plenty big enough for the two of us.

The hubby likes mansions
(his uncle has one,
he drives a golf cart around the basement).
I like small English cottages (cozy and less stuff).
We split it down the middle and got a 4 bedroom.

Any bigger and we'd have a maid
(actually we should probably have one now
- the hubby cleans the house about twice a year).

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
We just got the plans completed for our new house. It is 2040 SF.... slightly bigger then I wanted, but it'll do. I'm actually pretty excited about the plan.

Hubby wanted more.... maybe about 2700 SF. I wanted about 1500. So 2k works.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
My reasoning for why I like mansions is this:

I have somewhat of a riches to rags (and soon back to riches) story. Up till I was about 5 I lived in a 10,000 sq foot home. It seemed so big to me I would ride my bike in the living room! But then things became tough and we well became "poor". So from after 5 to the end of high school I lived in a VERY small house. When I am able to I want the largest house and yard I can afford.

Maybe something like this:
Biltmore.jpg

Nah that's too small for me.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't have a house that is worthy of the mansion category. I do have a picture of one of my properties that will help me get one someday though.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
This is the house we are building - though it won't be shingles. It will be reclaimed lumber. We broke ground last week. :banana::jiggy::cheers:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
that looks like a country club !!!!

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
I love mansions, plan to own two of them someday at least :)

Here are two good sources of pictures of mansions:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19716&hl=cribs - this was a thread devoted to the homes of many of the members at LamboPower.com. Some of them are really phenomenal.

http://www.dreamhomedesignusa.com/ - this site is an architect who designs custom mansions, and it has some absolutely phenomenal pictures!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
that looks like a country club !!!!

And you thought Peter was screwing around when he said to that banned user "You're raving about $3,200/mo? That wouldn't pay for my electric bill!"

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
And you thought Peter was screwing around when he said to that banned user "You're raving about $3,200/mo? That wouldn't pay for my electric bill!"

I remember that asshat from the RDPD forums. Too bad we're all "sheeple" who didn't understand what he was talking about......

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Too bad we're all "sheeple" who didn't understand what he was talking about......

Yikes, even *he* didn't understand what he was talking about . . .

Someone needed to define "passive income" for him.

He was the most agressive passive investor I've ever met! :coco:

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
How come peter2's story is not on here?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Ya'll are gonna have to convince him to post it, I already tried and failed as he likes his privacy.:coolgleamA:

I can definitely appreciate that
and I'm content to listen to his "general" advice
(and happy for the cat pics, of course,
nothing is so bad that a cute photo of kitten can't fix).

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just an FYI, the house I posted above isn't Peter's as I was messing around with him ... I'm sure the real deal is just as palatial.:tiphat:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
ahh too bad... I was just calling the shipping company to take my jet ski to his house... too much water around :)

Back on topic, my 'ideal mansion' has a lot of land as I will have a lake (jet ski needs water), a go-kart track and some running area... about the soccer field I'm not so sure yet...

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
My ideal mansion is what my uncle has. 3500 sq. foot house on 40 acres that has city owned open space (several thousand acres) on one side and some sort of park land on the other(several square miles). He has his own solar panels and will be installing a wind turbine soon to be entirely independent of the electric grid when need be.

That Miami house would bother me, being that close to such a highly industrial port. (zoom out and you'll see what I mean).

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
My ideal mansion is 20,000 to 30,000 square feet :) With a HUGE library (I love books)! And at the very top, a large observatory with a glass dome with a big telescope, controlled by a computer (astronomy-lover too). Likely in a lounge area, with big fat sofa and the like for relaxing and reading and a fireplace. One plan I have is for a 35,000 square foot home, consisting of five floors, three above ground, two below ground, (or maybe four above ground, one below ground?), each floor 7,000 square feet, with the library taking up a section of all five floors near the back of the home, culminating with the observatory at the top, with maybe a giant set of windows taking up the above-ground three or four floors. I might modify it though.

The library will be GRANDE, I mean Architectural Digest will definitely want to take pictures of it.

Mansion will also have a large garage, as well as a vehicle customizing shop (so I can customize my own vehicles in my spare time), and a machine shop.

Guesstimating, home should cost only around $25 - $30 million I figure :) Guesstimating also, I think I need a net worth of at least $300 million to afford it (Master P's home was 40,000 square feet and he's worth about $320 million). Billionaires have homes averaging 20,000 to 50,000 square feet too, so who knows.

Home will either be in Meditarranean style, Tudor style, or a French Chateau. If I am wealthy enough, I will build homes of all three designs (Meditarranean on West Coast, Tudor style on East Coast, and French Chateau who knows where).

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
^^Sounds awesome! I don't think you would need $300 million for that type of home but probably at least $100 million.

Since there is people who seem to love mansion I would recommend visiting Newport, Rhode Island. I visited there is summer. Newport has several gigantic mansions that you can take tours in. Most of these mansions were summer homes for people like the Vanderbilt's. It is truly inspirational. But anyway a mansion right in the area sold for around $17 million and it was 30,000 sq feet! Right on the ocean, with a seven acre lot and a carriage house. I think that is a pretty good deal.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
^^Sounds awesome! I don't think you would need $300 million for that type of home but probably at least $100 million.

Since there is people who seem to love mansion I would recommend visiting Newport, Rhode Island. I visited there is summer. Newport has several gigantic mansions that you can take tours in. Most of these mansions were summer homes for people like the Vanderbilt's. It is truly inspirational. But anyway a mansion right in the area sold for around $17 million and it was 30,000 sq feet! Right on the ocean, with a seven acre lot and a carriage house. I think that is a pretty good deal.

Yeah, I think it depends on the area and also the materials involved. I saw one home that was $14,000,000 and only 6,000 square feet, yet I saw another that was 20,000 square feet and $12 million. There was a 40,000 square-feet, $24,000,000 one, and a lot of 20,000 square feet, $20,000,000 homes, so it's confusing! Shaq O'Neill lies in a 64,000 square feet (yes you read that right!) home that cost $14,000,000, in Florida.

I have a feeling in states like North Carolina and Texas that real-estate is cheaper than in places like Los Angelos.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
We are in the process of building a mountain side home. Although it does not fit the 10, 20 or 30k sq. ft criteria I still consider it to be large home for being 100% on the side of mountain that has a 45 degree slope. Its 1 1/2 acres and we managed to fit 5000 sq ft. of livable space with a 6 car garage on it. We were at close to 7k sq. ft. but I would have had no yard left to do anything with. Our home up in Utah is 6,000 sq. ft., 8k with the garages and its plenty big for us which was one of the reasons we scaled down the home here in Phx to 5k sq. ft. I got to keep my 6 car garage and still have enough livable space with a nice yard and pool.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.