What's new

Making Solo Indie Game Developer A Viable And Lucrative Business

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hello everyone,

since I have put a lot of thought into this, it's probably going to become a long post. Actually, I'm writing this to sort my thoughts.

First thing you'll probably think when reading this is "Ooooh great, another gamer who has THE idea and now wants to become a video game rockstar". Hear me out. Here is the first thing you have to hear: I'm not a gamer. I do play games, indeed. But I actually thought about selling my XBOX One because it's collecting dust. Didn't play for years, although I finished Red Dead Redemption 2 during shutdown. But games always have somehow been there. I actually like older games. I don't know if it is because I grew up with them, or because games just become worse. Not in the sense of graphics, but ideas behind them. Games these days often are optimized to get you addicted and make you pull out your credit card to buy action points, assets or whatever. I'm sorry to bring ethics into this, but that's not what I'd want to create and put onto the market. I'd feel ashamed. Because of another thread on this forum, I looked into game development, which I hadn't for quite a while. I created two games a few years back.

So I'm not a gamer and want to design games? Yes. Let an addict tell you about the golden rule of the drug trade: Don't be hooked on your own product. Do you think comparing video games to drugs is unfair? Then let me tell you how many video game addicts I met in self-help groups. And it is an addiction that ruins your life just as well as other drugs. Body included. The mechanisms are quite similar. These people, often getting hooked in early childhood or adolescence, spend their whole days living a surrogate life and avoiding reality. In some cases, their surroundings look nothing better than a crack house, especially when they start to live on their own. Because they only eat junk food and all of their exercise is a walk to the supermarket, they ruin their health. They learn nothing that can be applied to real life, that's why most of these addicts have to face their addiction and its crippling impact when their parents tell them to move out after school. And then: No social skills, no work skills, no...really, you wouldn't believe it. They really CAN'T FUNCTION in real life at all. I had several of them tell me that they wanted to commit suicide at that point. Slaying a poison-spitting dragon is easy. Filing for unemployment benefits puts the fear of God into people.

So I fell into the trap of "information" binging on game development, again.

After watching loads of indie game dev videos, (while also learning Unity, btw), I realized: Huh. I'd probably be good at this. And it would tie together a lot of the things in my life I want to pursue: Programming, art, music, writing, game design, and entrepreneurship. I'm not a pro in any of these disciplines (except for writing, I'm a published comic book author, I think that makes me a pro in comparison to those who are not). But not knowing about something is not an excuse for anything, these days!

"Talent" is probably 10 percent. Except when it comes to sports, where genetics are really important, but even there, it's the training that separates you from the rest. Don't know how to program? Put in the time to learn. Don't know how to draw? Put in the time to learn. I'm at a point where I say "I'm okay at these things", so I can improve from a solid base.

Then I asked myself: Can I make money with this? Maybe even a lot?

The answer to this is: No and yes.

After watching a video about two brothers who made a living by constantly putting out new (crappy) titles by asset flipping (buying graphics, models, game elements, slightly changing the game, giving it a new title and put it on Steam again, a process that takes a n00b about 45 minutes [I'm not kidding, there are YouTube videos about that]), I thought to myself: Oh hell, if they can make a living with that...I can become an indie game developer and make it work.

Would I want to enter the industry as an employee? Oh hell no. It doesn't matter which function you fulfill. Programming, art or game design. It's excruciating work. And then, one day, you can tell your friends and family: "You see that giant walking over there? Yeah. I rigged the model." And people constantly keep lining up to work in bad conditions, because they want to "make games". While that sounds intriguing when you're a gamer, the reality is absolutely different, and I know that from (award-winning) people in the industry. You won't make games, you'll provide mini-units. A lot of people leave the industry because they are absolutely NOT working on their passion, but are cogs in a much bigger machine.

So, let's be realistic about what you can accomplish as a solo indie game developer:

1. Taking Steam as a measurement or the Google Play Store, the number of games keeps increasing steadily each year. It's a highly competitive field, but still a growing industry.
2. Making games has become much easier than it used to be.
3. There are a lot of freelance professionals you can hire for specific, time-consuming tasks (rigging, animation, for example)

There are examples of OUTSTANDING solo indie game developers. But those are the survivors. I looked up the numbers people make with in-game ads on mobile (a common source of revenue).

1. Even if you design a small hit, you'll barely make what you would make as an employee. It's a "Winner takes almost all" industry. the longtail is there, buuuut...you need a lot of titles in that tail.
2. Because of the sheer number of games, your players will often decrease at an incredible rate if it is not particularly good.
3. You want to design a game people would pay for? HAHAHAHAHA. Not on mobile. There's a reason why all these games are free-to-play/pay-to-win.

Why am I focusing on mobile, you probably ask yourself right here. Simple. A lot of people own this hardware. And mobile games, although there are a lot of elaborate examples, give you a fair shot to develop small, simple games people would play. And you can even clone a lot that has already been done. BUT...they also give you a lot of methods of input I find particularly interesting. And: You can do AR and VR for mobile, something I'm currently looking into. And this is the future. Period.

So is being a solo indie game developer a viable business on its own? No, by chances. It makes for an entertaining and probably decent side hustle.

Now...can we make a lot of money with this, anyway? The answer is: Probably.

I thought about two revenue models which I think could turn the odds in your favor. While reading up about Affiliate Marketing, I always wondered: Why the hell would you go through this painful process of SEO just to get a small percentage from Amazon? Why don't you sell this product yourself if you're already convincing people to buy it?

Same applies to in-game advertising. Why not serve ads which lead to YOUR online stores? Ads that are incredibly targeted because the products revolve around your game theme, for example? Honestly: Impressionwise, in-game advertising is great. But since you're only paid so little for the ads to be served, it doesn't amount to a lot. But it probably pays A LOT if you get a great conversion rate on your own products. I think this is where you could probably make real money.

The second idea I had was: Advergames. It isn't done a lot anymore (some might argue for a good reason), BUT: Re-Theming an existing game is easy. And I think you could convince a lot of businesses to give you some good money to create their own mobile game. There's almost nobody in this market anymore in Germany. Probably for a reason, but I really, really, really don't know. Maybe the whole idea just died off after a few fails.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated!

"O'n tussz vu csoph ivjodt opvu vjot, cav vjev't puv xjev O'f xepv vu dsievi epf qav upvu vji nesliv. O'f giim etjenif."

Vji nesliv fuitp'v desi ecuav zuas ivjodt, apgusvapevimz. Xjip zua tez vjisi't Csuvjist neloph e mowoph gsun timmoph henit up Tvien, xjev vzqi ug mowoph? Huuf nupiz vjev zua xuamf ci jeqqz xovj?

Og tu, hu gus ov.

Vji nesliv fuitp'v desi ecuav zuas ivjodt, apgusvapevimz.

Vji nesliv fuitp'v, cav O fu. ;) Vji nesliv fuit e muv ug madsevowi vjopht O fup'v ehsii xovj. Qsunotoph qiuqmi vu hiv sodj cz vsefoph copesz uqvoupt, timmoph wovenopt vjev deati depdis, johj-sotl foivoph fsaht, qsunotoph mupimz, apevvsedvowi nip vjev tophmi-nunt op vjios piohjcusjuuf xepv vu g*** og vjiz katv gmetj uav vjios dsifov desf gus e 400€ tactdsoqvoup vu djev xovj e cuv...

Ov dupvopait vu enebi ni jux nadj CT zua dep tjuwi fuxp qiuqmi't vjsuevt.

Xjip zua tez vjisi't Csuvjist neloph e mowoph gsun timmoph henit up Tvien, xjev vzqi ug mowoph? Huuf nupiz vjev zua xuamf ci jeqqz xovj?

Ij. Vjiti hazt xisi katv ep iyenqmi ug jux ietz ov dep ci vu neli nupiz xovj henit, emvjuahj ov ot e vuahj opfatvsz. O fup'v vjopl vjiz nefi vji lopf ug nupiz O xet vemloph ecuav. Cav vjiz tvomm nefi e mowoph. Epf vji henit xisi opdsifocmz cef. Cav vjiz lopfe vsodlif vji nidjepodt ug vji nesliv.

Pu, O siemmz xepv vu neli hsiev epf ipvisveopoph henit, puv vsodl vji datvunis opvu cazoph CT. O'n katv duptofisoph vji uqvoupt vu siemmz neli ov xusl, gopepdoemmz.

Xjz puv tiswi eft xjodj mief vu ZUAS upmopi tvusit?

Up nucomi, ov't puv zuas tvusi. Vji tvusi cimupht vu Eqqmi us Huuhmi. Zua qez vjin 30%, us vjiz fimivi zuas tvusi. Epf zuas eqq. Epf nezci zua.

Up nucomi, ov't puv zuas tvusi. Vji tvusi cimupht vu Eqqmi us Huuhmi. Zua qez vjin 30%, us vjiz fimivi zuas tvusi. Epf zuas eqq. Epf nezci zua.

Vjev xetp'v xjev O xet vemloph ecuav. O vjuahjv ecuav tiswoph eft op nz henit xovj mief vu NZ qjztodem huuft tvusi. Puv timmoph tugvxesi.

Vjev xetp'v xjev O xet vemloph ecuav. O vjuahjv ecuav tiswoph eft op nz henit xovj mief vu NZ qjztodem huuft tvusi. Puv timmoph tugvxesi.

Ot ov iwip emmuxif op vjios qumodz vu tiswi zuas uxp eft (us eft gsun tuni 3sf qesvz ef qsuwofis puv eqqsuwif cz Huuhmi)? O fofp'v tvafz ecuav ov cav O katv lpux vjev zua deppuv onqminipv zuas uxp qeznipv tztvint, tu O xuamf tez vjiz fu puv xepv vu muti nupiz gsun eft et ximm.

Egvis xevdjoph e wofiu ecuav vxu csuvjist xju nefi e mowoph cz duptvepvmz qavvoph uav pix (dseqqz) vovmit cz ettiv gmoqqoph (cazoph hseqjodt, nufimt, heni iminipvt, tmohjvmz djephoph vji heni, howoph ov e pix vovmi epf qav ov up Tvien eheop, e qsuditt vjev velit e p00c ecuav 45 nopavit [I'm not kidding, there are YouTube videos about that]), O vjuahjv vu nztimg: Uj jimm, og vjiz dep neli e mowoph xovj vjev...O dep ciduni ep opfoi heni fiwimuqis epf neli ov xusl.

Dep zua qutv e mopl vu vjios djeppim us vji wofiu? O xet dupwopdif vjev puxefezt zua katv deppuv qatj dseqqz vovmit moli Gmeqqz Cosf epf iyqidv vu hiv epz tadditt.

Dep zua qutv e mopl vu vjios djeppim us vji wofiu? O xet dupwopdif vjev puxefezt zua katv deppuv qatj dseqqz vovmit moli Gmeqqz Cosf epf iyqidv vu hiv epz tadditt.

Woix: jvvqt://xxx.zuavaci.dun/xevdj?w=mmAUDsObM6l

Vji wofiu fitdsocit vji xjumi qsuditt vjiz atif. Vjiz gmoqqif vji henit gus vji vsefoph desft (tii, O'n tu ges uavtofi ug henoph vjiti fezt vjev O fofp'v iwip lpux vjev xet e vjoph up Tvien). Vjiz emtu taif e qsunopipv ZuaVacis gus 15n.

Vjiz jewi ciip sinuwif gsun Tvien, cav dupvopaif xovj vji "catopitt nufim". Tiint moli vjisi't e muv ug "tvafout" xusloph moli vjot.

Nupiz ot nefi xovj nupiz op vjot opfatvsz. Og zua jewi $0 epf hsiev nuvowevoup cav pu vien vjip nezci zua dep neli duaqmi japfsif op tiwisem ziest. Nezci zua xomm iwip hiv madlz epf neli e duaqmi hsepf. Apmitt zua jewi e tumof cedlhsuapf op heni fitohp, esv, qsuhsennoph epf jewi ep opvisitvoph vxotv vu ep itvecmotjif heni ofie zua xup'v hu epzxjisi qsivvz nadj. Zua piif e tumof vien ug fiwt xovj e cafhiv vjev xomm metv e zies epf zua piif simevouptjoqt xovj e qacmotjis xju dep qsuqim zua gusxesf.

Puv vu foteqquopv qiuqmi, cav vjot ot moli vji 5vj qutv op vji qetv vxu xiilt O tii xovj qiuqmi puv fuoph epz sitiesdj up vji dassipv nesliv tvevi.

Up vji uvjis jepf, O dep tahhitv e huuf situasdi. Ov't op Sattoep, cav vjiz fu jewi e duaqmi ug iphmotj duastit. Vjiz esi gsii, fupi cz miefoph nucomi heni iyqisvt. Jiewip tipf, O'mm tez. Fiw2Fiw Ifadevoup.

Puv vu foteqquopv qiuqmi, cav vjot ot moli vji 5vj qutv op vji qetv vxu xiilt O tii xovj qiuqmi puv fuoph epz sitiesdj up vji dassipv nesliv tvevi.

Cav zua cetodemmz teof xjev O teof. Ov't e "xoppis velit emnutv emm" opfatvsz epf ev citv ov nelit gus ep opvisitvoph tofi jatvmi. Fof zua sief vji sitv ug nz qutv?

Heni fiw cafhivt dep ci raovi johj, O cimoiwi HVE 5 tqipv nusi up dsievoph vji heni vjep nutv jummzxuuf gomnt.

Vji opfatvsz piift tuni huuf tjuuvist moli Jemg Mogi epf e nufisp fez Me Puosi, xjuiwis nelit e huuf heni moli vjev xomm ci ietomz ci timmoph nommoupt ug duqoit. Emvjuahj neloph e heni moli vjev xuamf siraosi tuni optepi enuapvt ug nupiz.

Emtu nusi duuq henit moli Qusvem 2 / Demm ug Favz

MusfHepup, op tuni quopvt epf miwimt ug heni fiwimuqnipv, xjip zua fup'v jewi ipuahj voni gus dsievoph, gus iyenqmi heni esv, O xuamf sevjis etl tuniupi imti, xju emsiefz jewi podi dupdiqvt epf vinqmevit gus vjev. Og xi veml ecuav opfoi heni fiwimuqnipv qsukidvt, O'wi jiesf vjev omuhut dunqepz qsufadit epf velit qesvodoqevoup op qsivvz exituni heni fiw qsukidvt. O xuamf djuuti vjin, og vjisi xuamf ci epz piif op nz heni fiw qsukidv.

Last edited:
xovj 0$ gapfoph zua dep hiv ep ietz heni fupi cz zuastimg og zua dep: 2F Fitohp(4Ziest tvafz epf xusl iyqisoipdi),3F nufim (2 ziest tvafz+iyq),Viyvasi(1 zies tvafz+iyq),Eponevi(1 zies tvafz+iyq),Dufi(2ziest tvafz+iyq),Eafou Fitohp (1zies tvafz+iyq). Vuvemt aq vu 11ziest (Noponan) ug tvafz epf xusl op vji opfatvsz et e heni fiwimuqis hipisemotv epf zit, zua dep tvesv neloph zuas uxp heni xovj 0$ nupiz cz zuastimg. xjip zua xomm gopotj ov juxiwis ot jesf vu tez, epf nezci; ov xomm timm ximm (us nezci puv).

Apfisvemi epf Tvesfix Wemmiz esi vji sietupt O emtu xepv vu fiwimuq henit.

Tvesfix Wemmiz ot eneboph gus cioph upi qistup't dsievoup.

Nopidsegv ot epuvjis ucwouat? iyenqmi ug xjev dep ci fupi xovj e tnemm vien.

Op hipisem, @MusfHepup ov't raovi quttocmi vu fu. Ov't up nz cadliv motv vuu vcj. Vji jesf qesv onu ot vu gopf e heni vjev vji nesliv siemmz finepft.

Tu qisjeqt zua nez ci hiv madlz epf jov e juni sap up zuas gostv vsz. Cav og zua neli 100 raemovz epf usohopem henit, tasimz upi xomm ci ximm muwif.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom