The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making money by teaching others to make money

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Guys, what do you think about people who teach people how to make money while they actually make money from it and not from anything else. I know real life example in Yaro Starak, who teaches how to make money online and that is how he started making money himself.

Is it cheating or immoral or ok?

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
this is what gives the word "Guru" the bad connotation it has...

and we don't like that over here, in case you haven't noticed.

I like MJ's phrase... did they get the Ferrari/Lambo/Black Card before or after starting teachers other? did the make their money in the area they are teaching, or make money by teaching certain area?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
this is what gives the word "Guru" the bad connotation it has...

and we don't like that over here, in case you haven't noticed.

I like MJ's phrase... did they get the Ferrari/Lambo/Black Card before or after starting teachers other? did the make their money in the area they are teaching, or make money by teaching certain area?

There is a great quote.. "When one teaches, two learn"... This means you have to actually apply and practice what you preach not just... Let's say a guy has a blog about making money online and you find his blog, like the content. The fact that you FOUND him and give him your time means he is doing something right.

Whatcha thoughts on that? :)

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Guys, what do you think about people who teach people how to make money while they actually make money from it and not from anything else. I know real life example in Yaro Starak, who teaches how to make money online and that is how he started making money himself.

Is it cheating or immoral or ok?

Cheers

Isnt that what JohnChow does? I don't think its immoral

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Just to set the record straight, Yaro had a degree in business and a successful business ( Editing and Proofreading ) before he started his blog and began teaching others to make money.

It's tough to last for very long as a poser.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Just to set the record straight, Yaro had a degree in business and a successful business ( Editing and Proofreading ) before he started his blog and began teaching others to make money.

It's tough to last for very long as a poser.

Degree in business is not a very awesome credibility in my book... practice is... Still, he might be bad example...

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
A lot of the so-called 'opportunities' that are offered through for example clickbank involve buying an e-book that does nothing more than telling you how to make money by selling that same e-book to other people. IMHO this comes as close to scamming as can be.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Gymjunie this isn't a personal attack I'm just telling it how I see it with regards to 'gurus'.

Degree in business is not a very awesome credibility in my book... practice is... Still, he might be bad example...

He has a degree in business (which you deem not very credible) and as Jonleehacker pointed out a successful business.

You have neither so any lessons you could possible offer would be based upon what has been told to you by others on this forum and the web.

Without you having tested these lesson on your own business or having practised this lesson before you even read it online your credibility would be zero and the value people get from your guru site would be much less than if they were to navigate over to CNN Small Business, INC, Fortune, Millionaire Blueprints or forums like this where profiles of and guest articles from actual millionaires can be had first hand.

As for the moral question portraying yourself as something you're not is deceitful and completely immoral because quite simply you would be lying

There is a great quote.. "When one teaches, two learn"... This means you have to actually apply and practice what you preach not just... Let's say a guy has a blog about making money online and you find his blog, like the content. The fact that you FOUND him and give him your time means he is doing something right.

Whatcha thoughts on that? :)

You would still be wrongfully portraying yourself as a successful businessman which as I said is deceitful.

If you were to be honest and somehow suggest that you have no business experience but just enjoy teaching you would have a hard time maintaining the readership from business people who are actually out there doing something and you would be quickly and smacked with a 'guru' label and probably get a write up on John T Reed's website alongside Rich Dad.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Gymjunie this isn't a personal attack I'm just telling it how I see it with regards to 'gurus'.

He has a degree in business (which you deem not very credible) and as Jonleehacker pointed out a successful business.

You have neither so any lessons you could possible offer would be based upon what has been told to you by others on this forum and the web.

Without you having tested these lesson on your own business or having practised this lesson before you even read it online your credibility would be zero and the value people get from your guru site would be much less than if they were to navigate over to CNN Small Business, INC, Fortune, Millionaire Blueprints or forums like this where profiles of and guest articles from actual millionaires can be had first hand.

As for the moral question portraying yourself as something you're not is deceitful and completely immoral because quite simply you would be lying

You would still be wrongfully portraying yourself as a successful businessman which as I said is deceitful.

If you were to be honest and somehow suggest that you have no business experience but just enjoy teaching you would have a hard time maintaining the readership from business people who are actually out there doing something and you would be quickly and smacked with a 'guru' label and probably get a write up on John T Reed's website alongside Rich Dad.

Great post! Speed +

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
lol This cracks me up.

95% of everything you see online about internet marketing, making money online, whatever, fits your title.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nutrition 101: Eating To Be In the Best Shape of Your Life!

Taught by this guy:

fat_guy_eating.jpg

Do you see a problem?

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 20, 2009
Claiming to be something as a result of what one does can be neither problematic for oneself nor hazardous to others. On the other hand, claiming to be something as a result of what one does not do can be both problematic for oneself and hazardous to others.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Exactly. He does.

And some people hate him for doing that...

John Chow also had/has a very successful online ecom store long before he started in the "make money online" niche.

Before running all over the place calling people immoral, you may want to do just a TINY bit of fact checking.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
John Chow also had/has a very successful online ecom store long before he started in the "make money online" niche.

Before running all over the place calling people immoral, you may want to do just a TINY bit of fact checking.

I don't blame him or judge him. I like the guy... he has just been mentioned multiple times as an example..

And having ecom site is a bit different than teaching how to make money online from IM...

LOL at MJ's post! Nice one..

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And having ecom site is a bit different than teaching how to make money online from IM...

He was/is also making alot of money running affiliates which is basically what his blog used to teach.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.