The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making at Least 1000 Dollars Per Month

theblurr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 23, 2013
Long story short. 18. Just got into college and am already hating it. The only thing I've improved is my alcohol tolerance.

Plan is to finish a year of school and then take time off. I'm going to head to Thailand so I can live cheaply and further develop online income.

I've done a lot of research. To head there I'm aiming at saving up 3000 dollars and making at least 1000 dollars a month. 1500 and up would be ideal.

The only money I have is 212 dollars I made through affiliate marketing the last two months. I have to make this money online for obvious reasons.

I know it's reasonable to accomplish this goal if I put in 100 percent effort. I just need some guidance to get there as fast as possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
Bad decision. While I don't necessarily feel that college is worth the cost if you aren't paying for it yourself, which you obviously aren't since you have $214, then you should just get the degree. At least you'll have something to fall back on even if you don't use it. Rather than waste your time drinking like most foolish college kids do, why not spend more time doing affiliate marketing. Save some money and then after you graduate you can take a trip to Thailand once you've matured a bit. Since you have made a little money you have already managed to do what most people never willl. While college certainly isn't a part of the fastlane, it still has some value. At 18 you have a lot to learn in life. Running off to Thailand may seem fun but you are essentially broke and you are throwing away a potentially fail safe. This is probably not what you want to hear but it honestly is good advice.

theblurr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 23, 2013
Bad decision. While I don't necessarily feel that college is worth the cost if you aren't paying for it yourself, which you obviously aren't since you have $214, then you should just get the degree. At least you'll have something to fall back on even if you don't use it. Rather than waste your time drinking like most foolish college kids do, why not spend more time doing affiliate marketing. Save some money and then after you graduate you can take a trip to Thailand once you've matured a bit. Since you have made a little money you have already managed to do what most people never willl. While college certainly isn't a part of the fastlane, it still has some value. At 18 you have a lot to learn in life. Running off to Thailand may seem fun but you are essentially broke and you are throwing away a potentially fail safe. This is probably not what you want to hear but it honestly is good advice.

It's not dropping out it's taking leave. Therefore, If I find it valuable I can finish the degree. I'm not going to Thailand for a good time. I'm going to live cheap so I can put everything into making some serious money.

Going out drinking is once or twice a week at most. See nothing wrong with it. Fun, relieves stress, creates memories. I understand I don't know shit, that's why I'm trying to get out of college and learn stuff in the "real world." And the whole point of the post was not to be broke. If I'm making 1500 a month I can live quite well in Thailand.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm just not seeing much validity in it.

niftyg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
If you are planning on doing something like that from research I have done Panama might be a better country of choice due to the amount of English speakers,(probably) cheaper flights, and just more North American friendly. (Supermarkets, not TOO hot)

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
Kingston - DC - Everywhere in Between
Yeah, screw that school crap yo! Do what ever the next few posters recommend, you can't lose!.................................................

or

You could lose...big time. Why the rush really? You don't like school...there's going to be a tone of stuff you don't like to do in business as well...what will you do then? And why Thailand? Why not just go back home and work from there? Or just work while you're at school..learning to socialize, learning a few other things and have a place to live.

I'm definitely not saying don't start a business, and I'm also definitely not saying dropping out of school and going to live in Thailand to start a business online [that you haven't yet decided on or thought up] is a bad idea...but I am saying it SOUNDS like a terrible idea.

EDIT: This could be a case of the pot calling the Kettle black though; I withdrew from my masters 3 days before it started to focus on business, but I'm working out of my home..which I don't have to pay rent for, and had a couple other businesses that I tried/failed/succeeded with while I was in school + have a stack of start up capital. So maybe I'm not looking at it from your angle....or maybe its the moving to Thailand part of the situation that threw me off a little.

theblurr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 23, 2013
Naysayers obviously didn't read my post. If you object I want to here you but you are ignoring two important concepts:

1. I'm NOT quitting school. It's called a leave of absence. I can go back after a semester or year and get a degree.

2. I'm not going there and starting a business online UNTIL I have a safety net of money that will allow me to live.

Can we please focus on how I can make about 1000 a month online per month.

theblurr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 23, 2013
If you are planning on doing something like that from research I have done Panama might be a better country of choice due to the amount of English speakers,(probably) cheaper flights, and just more North American friendly. (Supermarkets, not TOO hot)

Good point. I've also considered Panama, but I'm set on Thailand as of right now. But I'm not super worried about it till I start generating a reasonable amount of money.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
College gives you an experience that really doesn't amount to anything. It's a broken promise, it fails to deliver in an absolute massive amount of cases. It's just not worth the risk financially. The investment you put into your degree is huge, what's the ROI?

Read James Altucher's book "Choose Yourself". Learn how jobs are going away and not coming back. You'll have to do something difficult at some point in your life, why not start now? If you move to Thailand, the experience you get there will be so incredibly valuable. To commit to something on that big of a scale can only bring you equally massive returns, in forms you have no possibly way of knowing. You will change.

The key is to keep your eye on the prize. If you are actively working towards your goals, regardless of WHAT life throws in your way, you go up.

Of course, you may change what you define as the "prize". But that doesn't matter... all that matters is you keep working towards it.

I highly recommend freelancing. You can find something on there right away you can make money on... maybe only pennies though at first. But get into the system and see where you can get leverage and provide value. Do what you're good at. I did this with writing when I was 19 and it paid me what you're looking to earn, plus I learned how to write.

It's not EASY to make $1000, but it is pretty easy. It's not "easy" how people think of easy. It is work, hard work and a lot of it. But you can get to your amount in ~6-8 months easy.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Yeah, screw that school crap yo! Do what ever the next few posters recommend, you can't lose!.................................................

or

You could lose...big time. Why the rush really? You don't like school...there's going to be a tone of stuff you don't like to do in business as well...what will you do then? And why Thailand? Why not just go back home and work from there? Or just work while you're at school..learning to socialize, learning a few other things and have a place to live.

I'm definitely not saying don't start a business, and I'm also definitely not saying dropping out of school and going to live in Thailand to start a business online [that you haven't yet decided on or thought up] is a bad idea...but I am saying it SOUNDS like a terrible idea.

EDIT: This could be a case of the pot calling the Kettle black though; I withdrew from my masters 3 days before it started to focus on business, [SIZE=5[SIZE=7]]but I'm working out of my home..which I don't have to pay rent[/SIZE] for[/SIZE], and had a couple other businesses that I tried/failed/succeeded with while I was in school + have a stack of start up capital. So maybe I'm not looking at it from your angle....or maybe its the moving to Thailand part of the situation that threw me off a little.

Im curious. how does one :"but I'm working out of my home..which I don't have to pay rent[/I][/U][/B][/SIZE] for[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]" have a home without paying rent, mortgage?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
i see a lot of this type of advice being given but i disagree. living in a 1 room place at 90 bucks a month. workin at a joint while goin to school just to support that payment. its good work ethic that is learned from this type of living. jmo.

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
Im curious. how does one :"but I'm working out of my home..which I don't have to pay rent[/I][/U][/B][/SIZE] for[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]" have a home without paying rent, mortgage?

The home I grew up in. My mothers home. - Don't have to pay rent and can work from it without any problems [for now].

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
its good work ethic that is learned from this type of living. jmo.
I disagree.

This is the typical path this route takes-

Gets job $200/week
So roughly $800/month

Room - $90

Buys food to eat at work
Buys new computer (It's a 'Business expense')
Buys Xbox or PS4
Gets first credit card
etc...

Stacks debt

Gets job after college.

Goes to work 5 days a week for 5 years.
Comes back to forum mad and pissed off that he wasted all this time.

Good work ethic?
Psh Drug dealers have good work ethic.

I would rather have terrible work ethic because I'm going to find an easier way to do my job. Get it done faster.
Doesn't mean I don't work hard when I work. Just smarter and lazier.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Bad decision. While I don't necessarily feel that college is worth the cost if you aren't paying for it yourself, which you obviously aren't since you have $214, then you should just get the degree. At least you'll have something to fall back on even if you don't use it.

This is what I did and I personally think it was the worst decision of my life, I got a dime a dozen degree that holds no real value because I didnt know what else to do, I remember telling my family what a waste it was going to be because I didnt even want the job that this degree was allegedly going to get me but everybody told me it was a great backup plan. Mean while I not only learned more from my business but my results suffered because I couldn't commit 100% to it. When the market shifted my window of opportunity closed and I was left with a pretty shitty back up plan. I also used up all my funds to graduate debt free and I was unwilling to take out nonbankcruptable debt to go back for the degree I should have gotten.

I have several friends who dropped out of or failed out of college their freshman or sophmore year, who after taking some time off figured out their direction. They are now back in school and getting straight A's working 100% towards achieving the best their degree can get them. The piece of paper is about 10% of the value of going to college, if your wasted all the time and think your doing great because your going to get some paper your missing out on the real value.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Can we please focus on how I can make about 1000 a month online per month.

thats like saying "can you please do the work for me?"
go out and research for opportunities... read TFM.read it again..

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
LOL this thread is great. Once again we see the "you can't do that," but guess what, I did and I'm doing it right now too. Go for it kid. You got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Parked - "Fall back on."
Parked - "Get the degree."
Parked - "You need college."

200kph+ "go for it."

How did the "fail safe" work out for the people with $120k in college debt who are serving tables at P.F. Changs and Red Robin? :smilielol:

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
LOL this thread is great. Once again we see the "you can't do that," but guess what, I did and I'm doing it right now too. Go for it kid. You got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Parked - "Fall back on."
Parked - "Get the degree."
Parked - "You need college."

200kph+ "go for it."

How did the "fail safe" work out for the people with $120k in college debt who are serving tables at P.F. Changs and Red Robin? :smilielol:

Touche' good sir.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I want to add a different perspective because of the ton of OP.

What is your degree in? A degree could be a powerful springboard into the fastlane. I don't disagree with what the fastlane experts are saying, but "I hate it" sounds like sidewalker complaining, so be careful. Don't get a degree if it won't help, or if you have no direction and are just doing it to meet cultural expectations, but DO get it if it has real potential to bring value and you're just whining because it's difficult. Everything worth doing in life, everything from making an outstanding profit to raising great kids to launching your own company will be hard as hell. A degree can open doors in the fastlane-an MD or a JD an engineer can break into fastlane markets that a person who has never been to college couldn't dream of, markets like overseeing practices, patenting medical supplies, writing their own patents (cost $40,000 minimum to patent in the USA) and defense contracting, some of the biggest on the planet. Also, if your fastlane plan is authorship, degrees can confer the illusion of marketing. A book by an MD about obesity and exercise is going to be easier to sell than one by a guy who goes to the gym a lot and has not other qualifications.

So no, don't do it as a "fall back." That's stupid. But don't drop out because it's "hard and I hate it." The fastlane is harder, that's why there are so few fastlaners, while you can't kick a stone down the street without hitting four people with a master's degree.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
then you should just get the degree. At least you'll have something to fall back on even if you don't use it.

"Better whole a$$ one thing, than half a$$ two things" - the main thing he needs, is a super clear idea on what he is going to focus on, and then taking consistent action towards it. there is nothing to "fall back on", I would say "Go to Thailand and burn the boat of turning back until you have succeded"!

School is a terrible waste of life, it can only have some social value but not educational value for (aspiring) entrepreneurs.

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
I know it's reasonable to accomplish this goal if I put in 100 percent effort. I just need some guidance to get there as fast as possible.

Take your laptop with you, provide a service or value to others and work at it! With the right mindset, you will learn what you need to do and how to do it yourself. Then all you have to do is take action! As far as coming hear and asking for guidance, I think you have received it.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!!!" Quote by someone else, but it works for me. :thumbsup:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Going to College or Univeristy costs roughly this:

- Cost of Your Program Per Year
- Unearned Income Per Year (because you are in school instead working)
- Incidental Costs (beer, fast food, social events, and other costs you wouldn't spend money on if you weren't in school, this number is normally significant if you are any kind of social person)
- Loan Interest (If Any)

Multiple everything that by the time it takes you to finish your program and pay the loan off.

Then take into account that almost nobody is hiring based on educational alone anymore - they want experience, and lots of it, which you didn't get by being in school. Some careers are different, but this is true for 90% of them. So you'll start your career 3-4-5 years behind everyone else who just got a job after high school and has 3-5 years more "in the field" experience than you.

And all this is so you can "fall back" into a job that robs you of your time, pays you peanuts, and exhausts your creative energy as you run the rat race while feeling like you are Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, repeating the same day for eternity.

And about your "it's just a leave, I'm not dropping out" comment - that's BS. If you start making exactly what you need to never worry about getting a job, are you going to "invest" that into everything I've said above? Of course not.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Why Thailand? So you can party even harder than you did in college?

Get focused.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Try harder.

I say we cut the kid a break. He's 18, and it would have been great if someone could have pointed me in the "real" right direction at that point in my life. It could have saved me a lot of time!! Lol...

To the OP, don't listen to the people trying to scare you about all of the terrible things that might happen if you don't go to school. You can ALWAYS go to school, but I love that you are so young and focused on building your Fastlane.

I vote for you to go to Thailand. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS this will be an absolutely eye-opening, amazing education for you. The low cost of living is going to be perfect for you while you work on your businesses. I think it's a great idea.

When people talk about making big changes like this, sometimes it makes other people freak out. I am actually moving in less than 6 months to another country, and some of my friends and family have started treating me like I have some kind of disease...lol. I think they are just jealous, personally.

Anyhoo...

You can do all sorts of things to make money online. I make much more than $1000 per month right now, from my sofa, which never ceases to amaze my husband ;) It took me about a six months to get to the $1000 level, but I was also working at the time, so if you aren't, it could probably be done in a month or two.

I'm working on my "real" businesses on the side, but here is what I do to make money:

1. SEO consulting for local businessses
2. Wordpress websites
3. Ghost-writing
4. Social media marketing management

You could do some or all of those things, in addition to keeping a blog about your travels to Thailand, making money online, and selling an e-book about "How to Escape to Thailand and Live for $1000 per Month" or something like that.

The list of things you can do is ENDLESS. Just pick a few things, or just one, and get started right now. Don't stop working until you get there. That's how it's done.

Good luck!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
What country are you moving to Mayana?

Uruguay or Ireland, but leaning mostly towards Uruguay because of the relatively low cost of living, relatively high standard of living, and a great expat community. I'm really excited about it - we are moving in either April or May, and it can't come fast enough!

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Can we please focus on how I can make about 1000 a month online per month

1. Congrats on the $212.
2. Expand on the content development on the niche you're successful in.
3. Figure out if there is a product or service you can create that will innovate or add value to the topic and your audience's need - whether for informational, tangible or entertainment purposes.
4. Promote the **** out of what you're already doing.
5. Check your Google Analytics to see what long term traffic you're getting hits for and start creating content based around ideas generated.
6. Never back down. Never give in. Never give up.
7. Reinvest at least 25-30% back into your sites and affiliate info.
8. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.