The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Major Change, Looking for perspective, I've been wrong before.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I posted this on another thread, but I thought I should make a separate thread for this.
Let me share something about people not understanding. Now I could be wrong and I am open to discussion about it. I'm the wisest man alive because I know one thing and that is I know nothing..
Anyways.. I am having a hard time continuing with the General Business major I am taking at my University. There are about 6 classes in the whole major that I would have liked to take..and I have taken 4 already...and they were in my gen ed.... With that said I found a new major called Interdisciplinary Studies which is where you get to study 3 different areas at once. They split the credits in half so it's just like a regular major...just with three different areas of study.

Now as an entrepreneur, I realize that I can buy just about any book and read it and learn what I NEED to learn to continue my journey. But I also realize that this time I'm using in my classes doesn't feel like when I am reading. When I am reading I am enjoying it, and having a great time learning. Here in this business major I feel like I'm just doing filler work, it really just feels like grinding it out for a degree.

Basically everyone in my family thinks I'm crazy right now for wanting to switch to interdisciplinary studies. I was thinking in Majoring in Psychology, Communications and minoring in International business, something I wish there was a major for, The great thing about it being a minor is that it is only the essential classes. The 2 majors I just brought up..I feel like using psychology in entrepreneurship is invaluable, and being able to properly communicate is also invaluable.

The 2 wealthiest entrepreneurs that I speak to on a monthly basis that live near me have given me the green light. These guys have hefty net worth's, and are telling me to just drop out anyways. I'm not out of respect for my parents, anyways I wanted to see what it was like.
My parents on the other hand without a hefty net worth are telling me to "stay the course" on a business major as if that will make entrepreneurship easier. They think that people won't want to do business with me if I don't have a "Title".

I deal with this everyday, and sometimes It's hard picking between the ones you love so dearly, and the people who are where you want to be sometime in this crazy life.
I have battles with it daily.

I am really looking for perspectives from entrepreneurs on the forum. Am I crazy for wanting to change? Should I stay the course? I am more than positive that I should change, but haven't decided either. I also know it's my decision and nobody else's, you guys can't make life decisions for me. Just looking for some outside help.
If you do respond, thanks in advance :)

PS I probably should have titled it University Major change. Don't want to confuse people :d

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
38548992.jpg

Why not start your business while in college?

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
@miked_d
I guess I didn't make it clear, I am doing both :D... I'm just in college for my parents sake really, but I do enjoy all the time I have in my dorm to just think and solve problems.

But I am doing both...The annoying part of it all is the classes I take, which I am slowly starting to despise. That's why I was trying to change my major :D

bbrrookie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 12, 2014
Miami, FL
Are you paying for classes? I feel that way too, but you never know what you could learn. You probably feel annoyed because you're just anxious to start and have your business already. I think that if your time in claas can truly be put to better use then , hey,go for it; however, if youre going to drop just because thats what the entrepreneurs did i dont think thats a real good reason.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Are you paying for classes? I feel that way too, but you never know what you could learn. You probably feel annoyed because you're just anxious to start and have your business already. I think that if your time in claas can truly be put to better use then , hey,go for it; however, if youre going to drop just because thats what the entrepreneurs did i dont think thats a real good reason.
No I am not paying for it. I only think that time would be better put to use in a major(s) that would help me learn something I am actually going to use. I feel like I'm just getting the business degree to get the degree, not for actual use of skills that it teaches.

Now I'm not some guy that's debating dropping out or not. I set a financial goal, a number in my bank account. Once (and if) my bank account ever hits that number I would drop out. I don't really have a need to at the moment, as I see nothing wrong with just using the time to learn, network, and try out things.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
@miked_d
I guess I didn't make it clear, I am doing both :D... I'm just in college for my parents sake really, but I do enjoy all the time I have in my dorm to just think and solve problems.

But I am doing both...The annoying part of it all is the classes I take, which I am slowly starting to despise. That's why I was trying to change my major :D

I understand now. Will your parents just be disappointed or will the disown you?

General Business and the courses you chose are not that far apart. Find a way to explain it to them in terms they understand. The interdisciplinary studies includes business courses, correct? Wouldn't that allow you to continue on to an MBA (something they want)?

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I understand now. Will your parents just be disappointed or will the disown you?

General Business and the courses you chose are not that far apart. Find a way to explain it to them in terms they understand. The interdisciplinary studies includes business courses, correct? Wouldn't that allow you to continue on to an MBA (something they want)?
I don't know hopefully just disappointed :)
The terms they understand are simple.
What degree will get me the best job.
That is their only perspective. Apparantly a Interdisciplinary studies in Psych, Comm, and International business won't get me a good job.
You don't need to major in business to get an MBA, you can major in whatever you want, a lot of students don't have business degrees and get MBA's.

RMarques

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 20, 2013
Toronto
I stumbled on this thread and although I'm a bit late to the party I thought I'd add an outsider's perspective.

You should stay the course.
You need to focus on what you have in front of you.
If you're reaching out to the sides and not to the top.. it means you aren't applying yourself fully.
Your "title" will not get you a job. You know that.
Your attitude will.

You can't afford to create habits of distraction this early in life.
Apply yourself 100%.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
IMO never listen to older or senior family when making these decisions. They often lack up to date info to make those choices for you or weigh in hardly at all. They stick to what they know and expect you to know what they know. Climates change, economies grow. Jobs that paid big 60 yrs ago are automated today. Jobs that didn't exist when they entered the job market are no longer there. Don't ignore them entirely, but do not let them choose for you. I tried to explain to my old school 60+ year old uncle how SEO optimization worked. He thought I was doing drugs. They know alot...but are limited and set in their ways. Make up your own mind carefully and just that....on your own.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
@Carlos Arbona, I recommend explaining the situation to your parents exactly as you have done with us. Justify yourself! If you're committed to four years at a university, then make the most of your effort and their money by pursuing a degree that will make you more worldly.

If you focus your effort on interdisciplinary studies and OWN the material that's being taught, then I think it will be a great foundation for you as an entrepreneur. In your spare time, you can learn the ropes of business via experience, books, and the resources on this forum and apply what you're learning in class every step along the way.

That is the beauty of being well-rounded AND creative--You become versatile. Create value by linking dissimilar practices and contriving new solutions.

You've got this.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Stop thinking about courses, degrees and majors and start thinking about people.

What departments have the most interesting people doing the most exciting things? Who's solving real world problems? Make friends with them, get involved in their ideas, contribute, network.

Your education will then be golden, no matter what else happens.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Although I though i wanted to do psychology in the beginning, I realize I don't really want t

o get to far into biology, which is a lot of what psychology at my school is. I was great at Bio, I just don't want to get into it at the moment :)

So I have two other major opportunities too add to the Interdisciplinary Studies trio course study, marketing and/or Real Estate

Marketing: This is almost like the psychology of the customer.
Real Estate: I always thought a good vehicle was to make a business, and invest in real estate.

Although I could learn both of these from books, I am trying to just fill up my two years before my parents cut me off. I could focus on these things which I find easy since I am more interested in them.

But yeah the list is for sure
Communications major, International business minor,

So now it is between those two potential majors, I have to pick pretty soon. Then I have to worry about getting in the classes. Kinda scary but I'm sure ill manage to get in.

Update: I forgot apparently you can't major and minor in the same area at once. Don't know if this will ruin the chances for the international business minor for me as I can't pick another commerce area for the major...

Really disappointed in the education system

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!