I just recently hired a freelancer on those e-lance websites... Upwork/Odesk to build an MVP for my app. I thought to myself, he's cheaper than what I have been quoted by others. He's has presented work, his bio seems believable, lists extensive experience, and what not.
Things seemed to go very smooth from the start. Detailed Layout and Functionality instructions were sent, all seems well, lets get started... But, there was a catch.
Yes, this guy had experience in coding. I can see from the screenshots. But not only did he not read my instructions, he completely lacked the ability to DESIGN the App! I had to hold this F**king freelancers hand the whole time during the project.
Luckily, I got lucky. Upwork notified me and mentioned to me that there seems to be a problem with his account. Possibly something fraudulent. He contacted me and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it happened again the next day. 42hrs into my project (at $35 an hr) My funds were reimbursed (Thank god!!). Freelancer fired.
What is wrong with these people!? You try to give somebody work and they're playing games with you.
Now, what did I learn??
1) Be Prepared! In every way possible. Negotiate an "Example" before you commit to the full project. Also,
vague instructions will not cut it. Every little detail must be listed. EVERYTHING! I noticed this while viewing the build.
2) Be Aware! Productivity levels listed were shown as very productive. But screenshots seemed to tell an opposite story. After viewing the screenshots a little closer, I noticed is using 2 screens. Screenshots are only captured from one. Who knows what he could've been doing on the other screen. 42hrs into the project and nowhere near completed.
3) This is Business! (And my money). I gave him the benefit of the doubt once after his explanation, but not again. Your problems should NEVER be my problems. Especially when it is potential fraud! Its business, leave your emotions at the door.
4) Communication! This person lacked the ability to properly communicate with me. I asked if he read the instructions and understands the project, all I got was a simple "Yes". Thats it?? You seriously have no questions?? This was my pet peeve! Yes, I provided him with detailed instructions, but I don't even think he read them completely. Establish SOLID COMMUNICATION! ALWAYS!!
2 weeks wasted... Moving on... Need to get this MVP ASAP!
Things seemed to go very smooth from the start. Detailed Layout and Functionality instructions were sent, all seems well, lets get started... But, there was a catch.
Yes, this guy had experience in coding. I can see from the screenshots. But not only did he not read my instructions, he completely lacked the ability to DESIGN the App! I had to hold this F**king freelancers hand the whole time during the project.
Luckily, I got lucky. Upwork notified me and mentioned to me that there seems to be a problem with his account. Possibly something fraudulent. He contacted me and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it happened again the next day. 42hrs into my project (at $35 an hr) My funds were reimbursed (Thank god!!). Freelancer fired.
What is wrong with these people!? You try to give somebody work and they're playing games with you.
Now, what did I learn??
1) Be Prepared! In every way possible. Negotiate an "Example" before you commit to the full project. Also,
vague instructions will not cut it. Every little detail must be listed. EVERYTHING! I noticed this while viewing the build.
2) Be Aware! Productivity levels listed were shown as very productive. But screenshots seemed to tell an opposite story. After viewing the screenshots a little closer, I noticed is using 2 screens. Screenshots are only captured from one. Who knows what he could've been doing on the other screen. 42hrs into the project and nowhere near completed.
3) This is Business! (And my money). I gave him the benefit of the doubt once after his explanation, but not again. Your problems should NEVER be my problems. Especially when it is potential fraud! Its business, leave your emotions at the door.
4) Communication! This person lacked the ability to properly communicate with me. I asked if he read the instructions and understands the project, all I got was a simple "Yes". Thats it?? You seriously have no questions?? This was my pet peeve! Yes, I provided him with detailed instructions, but I don't even think he read them completely. Establish SOLID COMMUNICATION! ALWAYS!!
2 weeks wasted... Moving on... Need to get this MVP ASAP!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
