The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Losing the mindset.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
I'm sure a lot of people have been in my situation.

Well a chain of events have lead to the point of where I can pursue the career I had always wanted. But I can't make up my mind. I'm stuck, I've lost the Fastlane mindset. But at the same time, I have that little voice in the back of my head that's telling me to not give up. I have multiple projects I start, and put aside. Such as the progress thread I recently made.

I suffer from depression and tell myself i'm not good enough and that i'm going to fail, and to stop trying.

I think what I need is some tough love. I need something to keep the dream of never worrying about money again alive.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
and that i'm going to fail
You are going to fail. We all have failed and will fail again. It is when you replace the word "fail" with "learn" that you will rid yourself of this fear.

Regardless of your career choice, this fear will hold you back. Might as well work on it.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland

Well a chain of events have lead to the point of where I can pursue the career I had always wanted. But I can't make up my mind. I'm stuck, I've lost the Fastlane mindset. But at the same time, I have that little voice in the back of my head that's telling me to not give up. I have multiple projects I start, and put aside. Such as the progress thread I recently made.

I suffer from depression and tell myself i'm not good enough and that i'm going to fail, and to stop trying.

I think what I need is some tough love. I need something to keep the dream of never worrying about money again alive.

Some suggestions:

1. Pick up TMF and read it again for a motivational boost.
2. Take the opportunity in the career you always wanted.
3. Work on creating a side business outside work until you have something solid.
4. Get help for the depression if you haven't already - I feel for you on this one. Talking about whatever it is that's bothering you should help.
5. Consider finding some 'mindfulness meditation' classes in your area.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

I know that feeling of not being good enough, however i also keep hearing that it doesn't take a genius to succeed.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
You are going to fail. We all have failed and will fail again. It is when you replace the word "fail" with "learn" that you will rid yourself of this fear.

Regardless of your career choice, this fear will hold you back. Might as well work on it.
I will take this in and use learn instead of fail for everything. Thank you

Zen_Ballz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 22, 2015
Vienna
You have been getting some pretty solid advice here, anything hit home to you yet?

Here's what I'd suggest given your somewhat scanty description of your misery.

First, you'll want to change your current headspace, so you'll actually be able to take @Get Right's advice to heart again. Second, as soon as you are in a better headspace again you want to sit down for a couple of hours and have yourself a good time with the decision matrix from MJ's book. If that doesn't yield something workable come back here and ask again. Third, in the longterm you want to adopt a daily routine that will prevent the normal of lows of the hustler existence from making you feel like you hit rock bottom.

Change your current headspace:
this what I found to be most effective in the short run for myself.
  1. Don't resist the 'depression'. If that makes any sense to you at all. Make peace with the idea that you are depressed right now. You are not feeling good right now, you are having a bad day, or a bad week, a bad streak.That's not really cool, but it's also no biggie. Just part of being alive. Everybody goes though this someway or another. If you can take the rest day off, but don't wallow in bed all day, get out take a walk and even better meet some friends.
  2. If you are sleeping enough normally, tonight might be the one day, where you purposely cut it short. When we are feeling depressed we tend to sleep to much. A light (!) sleep deprivation can work as a powerful reset button for our minds. I'd suggest to aim for less than six hours, but not much less ;)
  3. Now tomorrow you are going to feel a little irritable because of the lack of sleep, but you will also feel that your mind is way less foggy. To really burn the rest of it away, I'd suggest you take on your running and go for nice morning run. A cold shower and hot coffee afterwards and you should be pretty good to go.

The decision: USE the Decision matrix
  1. Sit down
  2. deliberate
  3. make the decision
  4. Act accordingly
As a side note: you'll find that whatever decision you make, the fact of having decided for one thing rather than another alone will inevitably give you back vigorous feeling of pure levity of being. Well, if you made the right decision, that is :p

Longterm:
  1. Develop a routine of daily habits that is a source of good energy independent of your career and other people.
    1. Some mixture of sports and meditation
    2. Experiment.

here is f.i. what @SinisterLex found helpful in keeping up with the demands creating his massive education biz:

"Things I Find Incredibly Helpful
✔ Frequent workouts & stretching
✔ Daily meditation (less than 10 minutes)
✔ Standing often & getting a few minutes of sun
✔ Doing tasks that require heavy thought first thing in the morning
✔ Daily checklists that keep progress moving forward
✔ Getting outside perspectives since I'm too close to the project
✔ Hot showers & anything that brings focus to the present & out of the mind
✔ Reading 10 pages a day (for the slight edge effect)
✔ Asking others to ask the hard questions or point out weak points so I can fix them early
✔ Swallowing my pride, controlling my ego, connecting with others"​

I prefer way longer meditations, COLD showers, and torturing my neighbors with my indubitable in prowess in musical improvisation. But hey, everybody is different;) find what works for you.

Good luck my friend, let me know how it went.

Hustle on

Last edited by a moderator:

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
You have been getting some pretty solid advice here, anything hit home to you yet?

Here's what I'd suggest given your somewhat scanty description of your misery.

First, you'll want to change your current headspace, so you'll actually be able to take @Get Right's advice to heart again. Second, as soon as you are in a better headspace again you want to sit down for a couple of hours and have yourself a good time with the decision matrix from MJ's book. If that doesn't yield something workable come back here and ask again. Third, in the longterm you want to adopt a daily routine that will prevent the normal of lows of the hustler existence from making you feel like you hit rock bottom.

Change your current headspace:
this what I found to be most effective in the short run for myself.
  1. Don't resist the 'depression'. If that makes any sense to you at all. Make peace with the idea that you are depressed right now. You are not feeling good right now, you are having a bad day, or a bad week, a bad streak.That's not really cool, but it's also no biggie. Just part of being alive. Everybody goes though this someway or another. If you can take the rest day off, but don't wallow in bed all day, get out take a walk and even better meet some friends.
  2. If you are sleeping enough normally, tonight might be the one day, where you purposely cut it short. When we are feeling depressed we tend to sleep to much. A light (!) sleep deprivation can work as a powerful reset button for our minds. I'd suggest to aim for less than six hours, but not much less ;)
  3. Now tomorrow you are going to feel a little irritable because of the lack of sleep, but you will also feel that your mind is way less foggy. To really burn the rest of it away, I'd suggest you take on your running and go for nice morning run. A cold shower and hot coffee afterwards and you should be pretty good to go.

The decision: USE the Decision matrix
  1. Sit down
  2. deliberate
  3. make the decision
  4. Act accordingly
As a side note: you'll find that whatever decision you make, the fact of having decided for one thing rather than another alone will inevitably give you back vigorous feeling of pure levity of being. Well, if you made the right decision, that is :p

Longterm:
  1. Develop a routine of daily habits that is a source of good energy independent of your career and other people.
    1. Some mixture of sports and meditation
    2. Experiment.

here is f.i. what @SinisterLex found helpful in keeping up with the demands creating his massive education biz:

"Things I Find Incredibly Helpful
✔ Frequent workouts & stretching
✔ Daily meditation (less than 10 minutes)
✔ Standing often & getting a few minutes of sun
✔ Doing tasks that require heavy thought first thing in the morning
✔ Daily checklists that keep progress moving forward
✔ Getting outside perspectives since I'm too close to the project
✔ Hot showers & anything that brings focus to the present & out of the mind
✔ Reading 10 pages a day (for the slight edge effect)
✔ Asking others to ask the hard questions or point out weak points so I can fix them early
✔ Swallowing my pride, controlling my ego, connecting with others"​

I prefer way longer meditations, COLD showers, and torturing my neighbors with my indubitable in prowess in musical improvisation. But hey, everybody is different;) find what works for you.

Good luck my friend, let me know how it went.

Hustle on
Wow man, I actually read all of that and i'm going to give it a try. ALL OF IT. Until something hits me.
Thank you so much for the advice.

I think what I can't get by is my impression on others. Do I go off to the career for my family, or venture into entrepreneurship for me.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Don't resist the 'depression'. If that makes any sense to you at all. Make peace with the idea that you are depressed right now.
Agree!
Do I go off to the career for my family, or venture into entrepreneurship for me.
Not sure what you mean exactly. Are family members counting on you for monthly income? Or, are they wanting you to head for the career?

It is important that you do what you want to do. Listen to your intuition, it is always right.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I don't think you need tough love, you just need to get your negative self-talk and battle with negative feedback under control. This takes time of course, but fortunately depression basically points to a few things.

1. Traumatic wounds not healed from childhood, past romantic relationships, natural disasters, unexpected events etc. One time events or an event that is high stress over a long period of time concerning basic needs.
2. Fear and anxiety
3. Negative self-talk vs. Negative feed back. Sub selves or rather fictional self vs. authentic self
4. Grief: One loss or many losses in your life in a short time period or long term multiple events and never taking time to allow yourself to grieve.
5. Anxiety kind of goes with fear and the roots go back to forming unhealthy coping methods at a young age. Unlearning this, and learning to regulate emotions, feelings, and thoughts.
6. Surrounding yourself with negative family members, friends, or co-workers
7. Not learning to relax, and feel safe in your environment. At a young age you experience traumatic experiences and than keep yourself in that constant survival mode, I'm in danger, I'm unsafe, the world is a harmful place. I'm a victim and victimized by others. Needs to turn to I'm a survivor. Learn to manage your anxiety.
8. Train your mind to focus.

You have to really be at a certain level to be here and maintain it every day, or you will swing into low arousal. I don't know if all those things apply to you, but what most people have to do to overcome depression.

And what I see a lot of is people don't state what type of depression. Major Depression, Bi-polar, Grief, are three different entities. And what is reaction to events and normal versus, a long term chronic mental illness where medication may need to be applied and other treatments.

Fortunately, if you do the research the tough love theory will make you crash with depression. That's why they don't suggest using tough love. Many people can suffer PTSD and Depression like a combat soldier if their in enough situations. Ha ha! I know Entrepreneurs believe in it other sports coaches and stuff, but I'm more for the authoritative version, or mental toughness. lol I'll never be a Dan Pena. I suppose that's why it's probably a good idea to be self-actualized, so you don't react to trigger words, and know how to manage thoughts, feelings, and emotions and handle stress and anxiety.

When I read some statistics on the work force of depression in the U.S. and other stuff, I see a huge problem with authoritarianism and up the chain of business. It's in our culture, and for some reason we believe this is good for society generation after generation. And if you're not like that I guess you're weak, cause your an empathic leader like me. lol Oh well.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
As someone who's had to deal with a lot of heavy issues throughout my life, I can tell you this: always remember depression isn't only a mood--its a chemical imbalance. When I was younger, I had been plagued with horrible anxiety because I hadn't the slightest clue of why I felt so detached from reality, or why I constantly had this ominous presence looming over me until I finally did some thorough reading and sought professional help. Just remember: you will overcome it and there is a scientific reason behind why you're feeling that way. We all get it from time to time, man. I've learned that those moments of self-doubt, pity, depression, etc. are the times to do it. Our brains are hardwired to work against us at times and, sadly, our fears always hold us back from accomplishment unless we face them.

Don't be afraid of failure; be afraid of not knowing. I'd rather fail and know what didn't work than not know at all, left wondering "what if" years later.

Some words a professional gave me at one point when I had mentioned I had felt "weird", "off", or felt those self-loathing thoughts: "They're not feelings--they're thoughts."

Best of luck to you, hope things get better soon.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Also, I wanted to add: mindset development doesn't "stick" over night. Sure, that very moment you begin to experience the "shift" in your mindset definitely sparks a fire within. But, as with anything, adopting a certain mindset takes time, you literally are trying to reprogram your mind to go against everything you were once taught to be "right" or "true". It's literally a shift from one lifestyle to another; you're forming a new habit, only in the way you think (which I think every habit is, anyway--mental).

Just hang in there.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
I don't think you need tough love, you just need to get your negative self-talk and battle with negative feedback under control. This takes time of course, but fortunately depression basically points to a few things.

1. Traumatic wounds not healed from childhood, past romantic relationships, natural disasters, unexpected events etc. One time events or an event that is high stress over a long period of time concerning basic needs.
2. Fear and anxiety
3. Negative self-talk vs. Negative feed back. Sub selves or rather fictional self vs. authentic self
4. Grief: One loss or many losses in your life in a short time period or long term multiple events and never taking time to allow yourself to grieve.
5. Anxiety kind of goes with fear and the roots go back to forming unhealthy coping methods at a young age. Unlearning this, and learning to regulate emotions, feelings, and thoughts.
6. Surrounding yourself with negative family members, friends, or co-workers
7. Not learning to relax, and feel safe in your environment. At a young age you experience traumatic experiences and than keep yourself in that constant survival mode, I'm in danger, I'm unsafe, the world is a harmful place. I'm a victim and victimized by others. Needs to turn to I'm a survivor. Learn to manage your anxiety.
8. Train your mind to focus.

You have to really be at a certain level to be here and maintain it every day, or you will swing into low arousal. I don't know if all those things apply to you, but what most people have to do to overcome depression.

And what I see a lot of is people don't state what type of depression. Major Depression, Bi-polar, Grief, are three different entities. And what is reaction to events and normal versus, a long term chronic mental illness where medication may need to be applied and other treatments.

Fortunately, if you do the research the tough love theory will make you crash with depression. That's why they don't suggest using tough love. Many people can suffer PTSD and Depression like a combat soldier if their in enough situations. Ha ha! I know Entrepreneurs believe in it other sports coaches and stuff, but I'm more for the authoritative version, or mental toughness. lol I'll never be a Dan Pena. I suppose that's why it's probably a good idea to be self-actualized, so you don't react to trigger words, and know how to manage thoughts, feelings, and emotions and handle stress and anxiety.

When I read some statistics on the work force of depression in the U.S. and other stuff, I see a huge problem with authoritarianism and up the chain of business. It's in our culture, and for some reason we believe this is good for society generation after generation. And if you're not like that I guess you're weak, cause your an empathic leader like me. lol Oh well.
Iactually suffer from bipolar disorder. So some days I feel on top of the world. And some days I don't.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
bipolar disorde
This is why asked. I know people mean well, but different types of depression are more difficult to overcome at times.
Giving a list of things to take action on doesn't always mean you're going to do it.
Really you have to train your brain every day.

Repeat actions over and over again. This is unlearning bad memory or coping skills and rewiring your mind to think and see things differently.
Mental ability: Learning how to use that knowledge and apply it to your life and take action when you feel anxiety and fear and stop yourself from getting frozen in fear.
Be ready to do whatever it takes-Use diplomacy
Face your fears
Place yourself in the same situation over and over again until you no longer have an emotional attachment to the trigger point. Situation, words, relationship, or environment.
Do a difficult action over and over again until you become neutral and immune to the fear and anxiety.

Basically wen your body's screaming no don't do it, and you're tensed up, and trying to talk yourself out of it or start negative self-talk switch around to positive self talk, and talk yourself through it. "I can do this, no matter what I feel like right now."

Basically you have to feed yourself information that over rides the negative until you're in balance. Like reading mindset books, listening to podcasts, affirmations, mantras of some sort, or quotes in the moments when you want to swing into the negative stuff.

I didn't have Bi-polar so from what I gather from tons of people, is it is tougher than every day depression, major depression, or grief. Until the mind is in balance the physical stuff is hard to accomplish. But of course, movement is action, and so you have to move and force yourself to take action even if you don't feel like it.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
It's been touched on, but I think it should be more heavily emphasized, exercise. The hardest you can as you'll get more of the feel good drugs your body makes if you push it. If you don't feel like working hard, that's OK too, but make sure to move every day. At least go walk for an hour. The results on the brain chemistry are dramatic, man was made to move.

Also, try not to eat like an a**hole. Don't get anxiety about trying to hit everything perfect, but just try to eat more things that are green, and less things that come out of a box. Less alcohol the better too.

G

GuestUser450

the point of where I can pursue the career I had always wanted.

I wouldn't normally tell anyone what they should do, certainly with a question this big, especially to someone who is depressed but you asked:

When you think about this career, does it make you feel warm and safe? Do you envision a life of respect and prestige where you're living your passion and leaving a grand legacy? Are you leaning towards it...or falling, hoping it will catch you and kill the feeling of wanting something else, something more?

I've been there, moving up quickly in the most bureaucratic of organizations, making ok money, everyone patting me on the back and genuinely feeling "happy" and yet somehow, wholly unfulfilled.

The job won't make you happy, it's not supposed to, no job is. Expecting it to is unfair and puts too much pressure on it, essentially guaranteeing that you'll resent it over time.

But it might make you some money, let you pay your bills and fund your fastlane projects, which sounds like the perfect j.o.b.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
You might very well not be good enough. But, let the marketplace prove it...

Rachel Akito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 16, 2015
Oh, I can feel you. I've been there - several times.

All of us experience failure and depression. It is up to you how to handle it, you may either battle it or cope up with it. But do not ruin your life because of failure. I think, all you need is time to realize that you should not give up. Life is a challenge and failure never ends. But this is not the end of everything. New doors open and better opportunities await you. Just wait and do your part.

Cheer up!

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
It's literally a shift from one lifestyle to another; you're forming a new habit, only in the way you think (which I think every habit is, anyway--mental)
That's what get's me

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
When you think about this career, does it make you feel warm and safe?
It doesn't make me feel warm and safe. All it does is tell me I can have nice things for a few months, and then it just turns back into paycheck to paycheck. As is Entrepreneurship makes me feel uncomfortable too. It's the short term thoughts that scare me. The long term thoughts make me feel snug and happy. But to be an Entrepreneur you have to get out of your comfort zone.

I think right now what I need to do is research Bipolar disorder, take the info that has been given to me on this thread from everyone that is trying to help, and learn to mix Bipolar with Entrepreneurship. I'm positive there are a ton of Entrepreneurs that went through the same as I am. They did it. So why can't I?

So thank you to everyone who helped on here and gave some tips on how to cope with it. It's much appreciated.:)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
That's what get's me
Yes it is changing everything you've ever done, and doing everything completely different. And it doesn't happen in a few days, but months and years of trial and experience with other people. It took me a year to get the basics in the middle of the hurricane with meditation and visualization. And also learning to stay in the now. Another two years getting neutral with trigger points, setting boundaries, cutting out negative people, disciplining thoughts, and learning to focus. Learning how not to react, push through anxiety, fear, and taking action even if my body wanted to say something else.

There's a lot too it, and you have to take one step at a time. You have to learn the difference between emotion and thoughts. Thoughts are what you think and logical. Emotions are your body reacting in fear and anxiety. Thoughts are logical and emotions are the body believing you're in danger, when you're really not. Fear is the negative thought producing the anxiety and flooding your body with adrenaline which turns into the tight chest, stomach, and tensing muscles.

There's times today, I know emotion and anxiety is there even when I have positive thoughts and feel good. That's another thing knowing your body, and until you've learned to relax and learn the difference from when you're tense it's hard to tell what is going on with your body.

Zen_Ballz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 22, 2015
Vienna
Yes it is changing everything you've ever done, and doing everything completely different. And it doesn't happen in a few days, but months and years of trial and experience with other people. It took me a year to get the basics in the middle of the hurricane with meditation and visualization. And also learning to stay in the now. Another two years getting neutral with trigger points, setting boundaries, cutting out negative people, disciplining thoughts, and learning to focus. Learning how not to react, push through anxiety, fear, and taking action even if my body wanted to say something else.

There's a lot too it, and you have to take one step at a time. You have to learn the difference between emotion and thoughts. Thoughts are what you think and logical. Emotions are your body reacting in fear and anxiety. Thoughts are logical and emotions are the body believing you're in danger, when you're really not. Fear is the negative thought producing the anxiety and flooding your body with adrenaline which turns into the tight chest, stomach, and tensing muscles.

There's times today, I know emotion and anxiety is there even when I have positive thoughts and feel good. That's another thing knowing your body, and until you've learned to relax and learn the difference from when you're tense it's hard to tell what is going on with your body.

Damn, this is great! Kudos to you for making it happen.

Zen_Ballz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 22, 2015
Vienna
Wow man, I actually read all of that and i'm going to give it a try. ALL OF IT. Until something hits me.
Thank you so much for the advice.

I think what I can't get by is my impression on others. Do I go off to the career for my family, or venture into entrepreneurship for me.

Sweet, dude, How did it go?

I figured you merely had what ordinarily goes for depression nowadays, thus the quotation marks in my first post. If your are indeed bipolar thats beyond my expertise, really.
It seems to me however that @Mattie nailed in her posts. Bottom line is: its gonna be a helluva work, way more then just what I suggested. But.. I guess you can pull it off. I mean what choice do you really have? The good news is this, if you actually manage to take control of your mental states piece by piece you are going to attain some awesome knowledge of self in the process.
I'm certainly rooting for you. Keep at it!

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
@Mattie it's inspiring that you've managed to overcome a lot through hard work and determination :)

Quite often when a person is depressed, although they know what they 'should' do they are in self sabotage mode, and 'don't really care' at a point. Sometimes the depression becomes almost like a safe place in a way, almost like an excuse to not fight hard.

Did you experience this? If so, how did you work through it and turn the negative self talk around?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
This year has been my hardest I have failed at so many things.
But every hardship I faced was where someone else gave up and I sacrificed too much
to turn back now.

It was when I was backed into a corner and nowhere else to go that I made
the biggest spurts in growth as a person and strengthened my resolve.

I don't know if depression has a form or what but I remember the moment very clearly
thoughts like "maybe I should give up", "Maybe I am not that smart"
"a job isn't so bad" I felt as if defeat was slowly tightening its grip on me.

It sounds sort of strange but I got up before daybreak and went for a swim
at a nearby beach as if trying to wash off whatever was causing those thoughts
and came back with a renewed sense of determination.

Lastly, another thing I found really powerful is to have a strong process and desire in place of goals and motivation.

Last edited:

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland

Knowing your body. That's the first I've ever heard that. But it makes so much sense.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
This year has been my hardest I have failed at so many things.
But every hardship I faced was where someone else gave up and I sacrificed too much
to turn back now.

It was when I was backed into a corner and nowhere else to go that I made
the biggest spurts in growth as a person and in resolve.

I don't know if depression has a form or what but I remember the moment very clearly
thoughts like "maybe I should give up", "Maybe I am not that smart"
"a job isn't so bad" I felt as if defeat was slowly tightening its grip on me.

It sounds sort of strange but I got up before daybreak and went for a swim
at a nearby beach as if trying to wash off whatever was causing those thoughts
and came back with a renewed sense of determination.

Another thing I found really powerful is to have a strong process and desire in place of goals and motivation.
What's holding me back is the fear of the unknown.
But I just need to get started. But I like the idea of going for a swim. Takes your mind off things for a small amount of time.

Occasionally when my Anxiety gets really bad, I go on a drive through the back roads to get my mind off things. It calms me, releases the stress.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.