The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking to sell my time for experience

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Authentically Honest, hard-working guy looking to trade time/skills for money

Do you want more money or more time? If not, move on.

If you do well time is money, so the more time I can save you the more money you make right? I’m an authentically Honest, hard-working guy looking to trade time/skills for money.

I believe, I will be most effective at research, but I’m willing to consider anything that adds value and might be a good fit for both of us. I’ve included my personality profile in the hopes it might gel an idea in someone as to how I can add value.

I’ve already helped one forum member here (@rsynder312) find someone

I mainly do work that isn’t too online friendly or emotion-laden, hyperbole filled text, rather cold, logical and dispassionate objective assessments.

I’ve fiddled around with a few techs and I can probably automate some of your drudge work or if all else fails do it for you.

(I can do transcriptions too if you don’t mind the British spellings for colour)

My Personality via plum.io (

You are...

• Curious, analytical, reflective, imaginative and creative

• Likely to be introverted and reclusive

• Modest, humble, pleasant, considerate, generous and cooperative

• Self-assured, happy, optimistic, content, secure, and cheerful

• Blunt,direct and rather literal, avoid using emotional-laden words, dealing in facts and figures rather than emotions
Professionally, you are...

• Exceptionally well suited to positions that will demand continuous learning and imagining new and different ways of doing things.

• Well suited to organizations and positions that appreciate good listeners that don't waste time on simple chit-chat.

• Exceptionally well suited to positions with altruistic goals and tasks that make people happy.

• Best suited to positions that are unlikely to have many unexpected problems or changes in how the work gets done.

• Better suited to positions where social relationships are not important, and where there is frequently space to work alone.

• Exceptionally well suited to positions that require close collaboration, soliciting and accepting feedback and criticism, and dealing positively with obstacles and failures.
At work, you...

• Delight in thinking about abstract ideas and a variety of subjects.

• Appreciate working in small teams or alone.

• Greatly appreciate opportunities to collaborate and cooperate with others.

• Greatly prefer learning by repetition and accomplishing objectives that are well explained ahead of time.

• Greatly appreciates who you are as a person and see yourself in a positive light.
You would be happiest in positions where you will...

• Be continuously learning, and pushing for constant improvements.

• Have infrequent social interactions with many different people, colleagues, prospects or clients - seek small teams or opportunities to work alone.

• Often have altruistic goals, tasks and projects that make people happy.

• Be able to have problems anticipated before they happen.

• Be able to accomplish most objectives by working on your own, avoid most interpersonal conflict and disagreement, and waste little energy impressing management.

• Be confronted with constant obstacles and have to deal positively with regular feedback and criticism.
Talents

Cultural Awareness

Your Cultural Awareness is in the top 15% of the workforce. You have a strong proficiency for understanding the perspective of others, and dealing effectively with different types of people.

You have an extraordinary disposition for being curious, reflective and studying people and their values.

You have a disposition for adapting to a wide range of people, and being open to differences in attitudes, values and personalities.

You can be encouraging, sensitive, and make others feel comfortable and appreciated.

You have an extraordinary ability to communicate in a tactful and considerate manner in difficult situations, and help others settle interpersonal conflicts.

Adaptation

You have a proficiency for adjusting to changes in the workplace while maintaining a positive demeanor.

You can remain calm, level-headed and operate effectively in the midst of stressful situations and under multiple or conflicting demands.

You have an extraordinary ability to change your approach to best fit the situation, analyze problems and develop new solutions.

You can learn and apply new skills, adjust effectively to different and changing environments, and smoothly integrate changes into your work habits.

You have an extraordinary ability to deal positively with obstacles and failures, accept criticism and feedback, and use intuition and experience to complement data.

Conflict Resolution

You have a good ability to stay calm and collected in stressful situations or when confronted with criticism.

You are supportive and sensitive to the feelings of others, helping you find mutually agreeable solutions.

You have an extraordinary temperament for being polite and mannerly when interacting with others even when you disagree.

Happy to use escrow services. Can invoice in £ via UK agency or can consider €,$, crypto (Gulden,Eth,LTC,BTC,BAT and others.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good luck, hope it works out.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
May I suggest a title change? Something that reflects an effort?

If your ad doesn't "wow", you might not get a lot of takers.

Your ad is over a year old, but maybe it still can pull some eyeballs with a bit of editing.

I don't see "Time for Sale" being something that would compel folks here to say "Wow, I need to hire this guy!!!"

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Thank you for the response.

May I suggest a title change? Something that reflects an effort?

I'm open to changing the title, I'm open to suggestions. I'm unsure what would reflect an effort, this is a historical problem of mine the lack of refection is why people struggle to believe I have actually done something. I should perhaps change the text too.

If your ad doesn't "wow", you might not get a lot of takers.

Good point, I am having very slow progress son writing good copy that goes "wow"

Your ad is over a year old, but maybe it still can pull some eyeballs with a bit of editing.

Well, I can edit and try things up, all though at this point, I am like the infinite monkeys with a typewriter. I'm trying with the Saturday Market place too, where I can try another Ad each week.

I don't see "Time for Sale" being something that would compel folks here to say "Wow, I need to hire this guy!!!"

I thought most of them wanted more time, and well I am absolutely clueless as to what would make them say that.

I hope this avoids sounding too money-grubbing, phrasing is far from my strong suit. However, do you know anyone whom you think I could add value too and would say wow too me?

p.s. Is the edit button to edit the firs post/title in the forum marketplace or in this thread?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You biggest gap here, besides the title as MJ suggested, is you have no examples of what it is you can do and what you are good at... that fills a need for someone else.

You can't rely on your clients to do the thinking for you. Find out what you are really good at (possibly by figuring it out via a job board like upwork where people are telling you what they need in exchange for money) and then wrap that into an actual offer of something with a cost.

I am not going to buy your time if i have no idea what it is you do well, or even how much it costs. You can't even get a regular 9-5 job like this. Gain a skill, make and offer, and sell your time.

And before you ask, no i do not know where you should start looking or have any suggestions on what to look for, you gotta put in the work!

p.s. once you figure out what you are actually offering, a new title is pretty easy to formulate!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Hi! The biggest problem with the copy is that it's about you. Even though you're a cool guy and fun to talk to, people who want to pay money to solve their problems right now are not looking for an introduction. They're looking for something about "them" and how their problem will be solved for them.

So, to the greatest extent possible, your copy should be all about the customer. Wolfie should be almost invisible. It's one of the paradoxes of marketing... you disappear into writing that is all about someone else, and then the reader gasps, looks up, and says "OMG, Wolfie understands me!" That's also the part where their wallet comes out.

Delete the personality profile. The customer doesn't work that hard. The only ideas they'll get about how to use your skills are the ones you give them directly. For example:

You need someone to research your competitors. How much more money could you make if you knew exactly what features your competitors were rolling out next? What if you knew which of their marketing promises were true or false, and which ones customers actually cared about? Could you outsell the competition with that kind of information? Well, now you can. And you don't have to do it yourself! Just contact Wolfie's Research Services...

I mean, keep it legal, but do you see how this is different? It almost exclusively talks about the customer, using the miraculous verbal pointer "you." You can also use stories that people will imagine themselves in:

Sally was falling behind in business. Her competitors seemed to know exactly what the customer wanted, before the customer even knew! Then she got the business intelligence she needed all along, and it changed everything...

It doesn't even have to be the best copy ever. Just frame it so it's about "them." The "you" who is reading it.

The second improvement would be over-broadness. Marketing is science. You form a hypothesis and test it. The hypothesis that someone might be interested in research, transcription services, unspecified consulting, and paid brainstorming, is just too broad to test, validate, or invalidate. You can narrow it down to one thing that seems to be what "they" want. See if you can find one thing that lots of "theys" will want and you'll have something that gets you plenty of customers.

Executive summary:
  1. Write to the reader, for the reader, about the reader. The marketer draws attention to himself through his insights about the reader, not by describing himself.
  2. Narrow down your offering to something discreet, bite-sized. One thing, or 2-3 very closely related things that the reader can imagine herself benefiting from. Something that solves her problem and makes her day/week/life easier or better.
Good luck!

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Looks like I have to rejoin the INSIDERS to edit the post, but will use your advice tomorrow, on the Saturday Market place thread and anywhere else I can think of using it.

You biggest gap here, besides the title as MJ suggested, is you have no examples of what it is you can do and what you are good at... that fills a need for someone else.

This requires me identifying what fills a need for someone else, I can share the code I have written (most people fail to understand it)or show what I have made that in theory fills a need (people have claimed to have) it has to be a need they will pay money to me for fulfilling though

You can't rely on your clients to do the thinking for you. Find out what you are really good at (possibly by figuring it out via a job board like upwork where people are telling you what they need in exchange for money) and then wrap that into an actual offer of something with a cost.

Well, |I was tested as having excellent reading ability, and my verbal comprehension was in the gifted range, however I have yet to find job openings that require reading large amounts of dry scientific literature.

Taking a look at upwork all the web development , has some nice fixed price jobs (create wordpress site from backup) but the cost for regular work is simply too low.

I am not going to buy your time if i have no idea what it is you do well, or even how much it costs.

Would you buy anybody's?

You can't even get a regular 9-5 job like this. Gain a skill, make and offer, and sell your time.

I have plenty of skills, what I lack is sales skill. A 9-5 job requires selling yourself as well as actually doing the job, I'm working on that too. Most suggest using freelancing as a way in, but I'm completly unable to compete with people in a low cost of living areas

And before you ask, no i do not know where you should start looking or have any suggestions on what to look for, you gotta put in the work!

I'm happy to put in the hard work, but I have to figure out how to direct it, hopefully once I crack what to offer this will help.

p.s. once you figure out what you are actually offering, a new title is pretty easy to formulate!

Awesome.

Hi! The biggest problem with the copy is that it's about you. Even though you're a cool guy and fun to talk to, people who want to pay money to solve their problems right now are not looking for an introduction. They're looking for something about "them" and how their problem will be solved for them.

Thanks, I guess I was misled by the idea about business being about relationships,it followed from that supposition,that people might be interested in me personally.

So, to the greatest extent possible, your copy should be all about the customer. Wolfie should be almost invisible. It's one of the paradoxes of marketing... you disappear into writing that is all about someone else, and then the reader gasps, looks up, and says "OMG, Wolfie understands me!" That's also the part where their wallet comes out.

I think I get that, but it requires me to find out what their problem actually might be, this is hard because I have to keep guessing as I have no network I can ask.

You need someone to research your competitors. How much more money could you make if you knew exactly what features your competitors were rolling out next? What if you knew which of their marketing promises were true or false, and which ones customers actually cared about? Could you outsell the competition with that kind of information? Well, now you can. And you don't have to do it yourself! Just contact Wolfie's Research Services...

hmm, I will have to think on how I can phrase my skills as if they are solving a problem.

I mean, keep it legal, but do you see how this is different? It almost exclusively talks about the customer, using the miraculous verbal pointer "you." You can also use stories that people will imagine themselves in:

Yes, that is written in the second person, I can write in first person,second person or third person. I see no miraculous part, however I will take your word for it
Sally was falling behind in business. Her competitors seemed to know exactly what the customer wanted, before the customer even knew! Then she got the business intelligence she needed all along, and it changed everything...

The second improvement would be over-broadness. Marketing is science. You form a hypothesis and test it. The hypothesis that someone might be interested in research, transcription services, unspecified consulting, and paid brainstorming, is just too broad to test, validate, or invalidate. You can narrow it down to one thing that seems to be what "they" want. See if you can find one thing that lots of "theys" will want and you'll have something that gets you plenty of customers.

Sure I can work on that, and keep trying various tests.
Executive summary:

1. Write to the reader, for the reader, about the reader.

This is where I struggle, it is really hard for me to put myself in someone else's shoes and working out what the reader actually wants.
  1. Narrow down your offering to something discreet, bite-sized. One thing, or 2-3 very closely related things
Will Do.
  1. [*]that the reader can imagine herself benefiting from. Something that solves her problem and makes her day/week/life easier or better.
Good luck!

Here is the results form my last attempt at doing some research.
Again this requires the reader or people like them telling me what the problem might actually entail.

@ryanbleau

Okay, so in what ways can it be a benefit? Is this where we answer my what am I good at?

@Rabby

Okay,here is some research detailing how apps can be used to encourage children's interest in STEM,try this astronomy based one or the table of elements one or spend the £10 a month to subcribe for apps from the company solving that problem (well and buy the tablet for the child, but that is still within your budget.)

Okay, is it knee osteoarthritis (KOA) and she is;

1. Considered ineligible for a TKA by the surgeon;
  2. Diagnosed with KOA using standing, weight-bearing knee radiographs (Kellgren-Lawrence score ≥1 on the original scale35,36);
  3. Aged ≥18 years;
  4. KOOS4≤75 (the average score for four of the five Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score subscales covering pain, symptoms, activities of daily living and quality of life).37 ,38
And has none of the following;

1. Previous ipsilateral knee arthroplasty;
  2. Rheumatoid arthritis;
  3. Mean pain the previous week >60 mm on a 100 mm Visual Analogue Scale (VAS);
  4. Possible pregnancy or planning pregnancy;

If so what about the Danish Non surgical MEDIC treatment?

Sorry, I am unable to help you there.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Looks like I have to rejoin the INSIDERS to edit the post, but will use your advice tomorrow, on the Saturday Market place thread and anywhere else I can think of using it.

This requires me identifying what fills a need for someone else, I can share the code I have written (most people fail to understand it)or show what I have made that in theory fills a need (people have claimed to have) it has to be a need they will pay money to me for fulfilling though

Well, |I was tested as having excellent reading ability, and my verbal comprehension was in the gifted range, however I have yet to find job openings that require reading large amounts of dry scientific literature.

Taking a look at upwork all the web development , has some nice fixed price jobs (create wordpress site from backup) but the cost for regular work is simply too low.

Would you buy anybody's?

I have plenty of skills, what I lack is sales skill. A 9-5 job requires selling yourself as well as actually doing the job, I'm working on that too. Most suggest using freelancing as a way in, but I'm completly unable to compete with people in a low cost of living areas

I'm happy to put in the hard work, but I have to figure out how to direct it, hopefully once I crack what to offer this will help.

Awesome.

Thanks, I guess I was misled by the idea about business being about relationships,it followed from that supposition,that people might be interested in me personally.

I think I get that, but it requires me to find out what their problem actually might be, this is hard because I have to keep guessing as I have no network I can ask.

hmm, I will have to think on how I can phrase my skills as if they are solving a problem.

Yes, that is written in the second person, I can write in first person,second person or third person. I see no miraculous part, however I will take your word for it

Sure I can work on that, and keep trying various tests.
Executive summary:

This is where I struggle, it is really hard for me to put myself in someone else's shoes and working out what the reader actually wants.
Will Do.
Again this requires the reader or people like them telling me what the problem might actually entail.
I believe the theme of what the big guys are saying is pick a lane and take some action. (Note: not guaranteed to be saleable)

Research competitors (or whatever ONE THING you choose)
First point -How will it benefit your audience? (Make a big best case scenario promise here)

Then -What will the research include and how are some ways it'll be used? [Features] (Make a secondary smaller promise here that's more than worth the price of admission by its self)

Then - Explain BRIEFLY what the process will be like for them. (Hint painless and risk free)

Last - call to action. Have them message you and be ready to concisely prescribe your service to their needs

Just my $.02, but I'm a little guy.

Edit: Have you read Scientific Advertising and Breakthrough Advertising? Both can be found free out there in the wild, and they may be right up your alley as evidenced based approaches to grabbing attention for your solution to xyz problem.

Em7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 11, 2019
Europe
Funnily, just yesterday I was writing about this.

When I was new as a owner of a dev agency, my offer was just as confusing as this, I would tell people I can code just about anything, I'd tell them about my skills, I'd explain how modern tech would make websites better, how I could build any feature they wanted for their website. No one cared.

Turns out, Customers don't buy your time, they don't buy your skills, they don't care about your past, nor do they even care if you're working with ML, AI, WordPress or Wix.

They only care about one simple thing. That's Return on Investment, how are you gonna turn the money they give you into something that will give them more back?

When my client buys a website from me, they're not paying me to build a website, they are using their budget they give me to get more back, and quick.

If your boss would tell you Hey, we need to improve our website, you got a budget of $5000. What words do you want to hear from the seller? Their skills in React? Their ability to perform floating-point arithmetic? No of course not, you want to hear how they are gonna make your website sell more, how long it's going to take because if you take that $5000 and pay some agency to build your website you better show your boss how that 5000 is gonna turn into 15000 for the company or he's going to fire you.

If you can't demonstrate value in the forms of RoI then no sane business will buy your service.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Funnily, just yesterday I was writing about this.

Cool, can you give me a link.

When I was new as a owner of a dev agency, my offer was just as confusing as this, I would tell people I can code just about anything, I'd tell them about my skills, I'd explain how modern tech would make websites better, how I could build any feature they wanted for their website. No one cared.

Turns out, Customers don't buy your time, they don't buy your skills, they don't care about your past, nor do they even care if you're working with ML, AI, WordPress or Wix.

They only care about one simple thing. That's Return on Investment, how are you gonna turn the money they give you into something that will give them more back?

Then it is kind of weird no one wanted to buy my stock market prediction algorithm, that explicitly says about return on investment.

Could say something like; Are you too busy with the minutiae to actually be getting sales? Let me take some of the admin work off your plate.

When my client buys a website from me, they're not paying me to build a website, they are using their budget they give me to get more back, and quick.

If your boss would tell you Hey, we need to improve our website, you got a budget of $5000. What words do you want to hear from the seller? Their skills in React?

Well yes, I would. I was asked for a better website rather than to make more money.

No of course not, you want to hear how they are gonna make your website sell more, how long it's going to take because if you take that $5000 and pay some agency to build your website you better show your boss how that 5000 is gonna turn into 15000 for the company or he's going to fire you.

You see my problem, I will do what I am asked to do. I have no clue that he really meant he wanted more money, would have been easier if that was what he said in the first place. If i have to guess what they really mean, I will probably get it wrong. Yet as I have said before, I have found publishers whom want an audience rather than money form a website, which seems strange.

If you can't demonstrate value in the forms of RoI then no sane business will buy your service.

It seems to me that it would be impossible to demonstrate it until you have provided ROI at least once,so how did you persuade your first client?

Em7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 11, 2019
Europe
Cool, can you give me a link.
Sadly I cannot, It's not public yet I'm working on a script for a video, I can send the video to you later if you're interested. (The thing I brought up is 1 part of the video)

Then it is kind of weird no one wanted to buy my stock market prediction algorithm, that explicitly says about return on investment.

Could say something like; Are you too busy with the minutiae to actually be getting sales? Let me take some of the admin work off your plate.

I have no idea why people don't buy your market prediction algorithm but I know that people will say no to you generally based for these 3 points:

1. Logical - I lost customers because I was not able to reason with them in a logical way (They weren't persuaded that my offer would be valuable)
2. Emotional - I lost customers because of personality mismatch, even though I've improved my sales ability a lot, certain people just don't click with me, sadly.
3. Political - I lost clients because they'd rather buy from a friend or someone inside the organization felt threatened to by us (Hey if my company learns they can outsource my work I might lose my job!)

Well yes, I would. I was asked for a better website rather than to make more money.

You see my problem, I will do what I am asked to do. I have no clue that he really meant he wanted more money, would have been easier if that was what he said in the first place.

It's not your customer's job to define your offering to them for you! Create 3 offers and pitch them.

You will logically think that you're limiting your options, but you're actually speaking to people in a way they're used to be spoken to.

When have you ever instructed a chef on how to cook for you? If I goto a restaurant I'm gonna leave if the cook asks me anything more than what I want.

If i have to guess what they really mean, I will probably get it wrong. Yet as I have said before, I have found publishers whom want an audience rather than money form a website, which seems strange.

I don't know if I understand what you're talking about, but an audience seems like money to me.

It seems to me that it would be impossible to demonstrate it until you have provided ROI at least once,so how did you persuade your first client?

Honestly? A combination of desperation and being ok with taking an extremely low price for what I was offering just to get something.

Client 1: Desperate for quick changes on website, I said I could do it they paid me very low for few hours work.
Client 2: Wanted an impressive website with all types of features (Event system, Project case studies) the website was more of a platform for them to show their work, partners and what work they've done. Since I did everything myself there was no loss except my time, and in the end, I used this to show off my work to others (including a testimonial from that client) that helped me get the next step. If I calculated my hourly salary for that job, it's less than 50 cent an hour guaranteed.

----------

But this is not the only way you can do it, I've done personal projects and showed them off that have resulted in leads. Do you know how to code? Go build something and show it off, as a teenager I sold my first website because some others saw the website I built for myself and they wanted something similar.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
however I have yet to find job openings that require reading large amounts of dry scientific literature.

Ever heard of technical writing?

It's basically EXACTLY this. You are provided with a heap of dry, dense scientific/industry literature and your job is to summarize and re-write this into layman's terms.

There are courses for this and some do it purely freelance but it's typically a very well paid skill (6 figures is not unheard of in this space) simply because it takes a very particular person who can sit down for hours to comprehend difficult industry jargon and then turn around and spend hours more re-writing it for casual comprehension. And then do it ACCURATELY.

You can also possibly consider sales engineering or technical sales support. It's basically playing expert for the sales people. You need to be able to talk to people and relay information to experts but you don't actually have to sell anything.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
re-write this into layman's terms
I must work on that ability then. It is awkward to find out if something is in layman's terms as I have no layman to ask do you understand this? I think I tend to over-complicate it,the obvious solution is to pair up however this require money and make sit impossible to offer too cheaply/for free

I will keep a look out for people who want technical writing.

@JAJT Any idea where I could find a heap of dry dense industry literature on a subject that would add value to buisness if rewritten in laymans terms?

Ever heard of technical writing?

It's basically EXACTLY this. You are provided with a heap of dry, dense scientific/industry literature and your job is to summarize and re-write this into layman's terms.

There are courses for this and some do it purely freelance but it's typically a very well paid skill (6 figures is not unheard of in this space) simply because it takes a very particular person who can sit down for hours to comprehend difficult industry jargon and then turn around and spend hours more re-writing it for casual comprehension. And then do it ACCURATELY.

You can also possibly consider sales engineering or technical sales support. It's basically playing expert for the sales people. You need to be able to talk to people and relay information to experts but you don't actually have to sell anything.

Never heard of sales engineering, will research it sounds quite promising. Do they typically have access to the manual for the product?

Last edited:

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
One big thing is to find a single client to do work for free......probably someone you already know. Have them write a solid review paragraph. That will state the problem and your solution as well as the ease of using your service.
I find people as a hobby not so much a side business. I have friends that are authors, government agents and high end security for the wealthy. They often get doxed or threats online. I find those people. I locate peoples kids that their ex's have taken out of the country. I find people who have posted pictures of kids in settings no one is supposed to see them in. I hunt down identities of con men and do deep dives into peoples backgrounds.
I don't rely on copy or a web page. these people come to me.
If you have a skill, develop it.
If you have a skill, do it for free until it becomes something you can charge for
If you become the best or even just incrementally better than everyone else, you wont have to advertise.
Whatever you decide to do, let the work speak for you, instead of trying to force people to assume the value of the unknown.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Nobody I know, wants what I have to offer
None of that, now...

You created an algorithm that routinely beats professionally managed funds just, like, for fun. You have skills people want; you just need to isolate them and present them in a way that clearly demonstrates they'll solve someone's problems.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like I have to rejoin the INSIDERS to edit the post

Not true, you would have to rebuy the ad because the ad is over a year old.

However, simply rewrite your post and post it as a new post in this thread. I will copy it and edit it into your original post up top. Make sure to tag me when you do this so I know to come in and copy it. That way you don't have to rebuy the ad.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@LittleWolfie as I am reading this thread, I am seeing several extremely competent and high earning individuals encouraging you and trying to help, only to be met with but, but, but, however, I can’t.

Dude, entrepreneurship is about self starting and being self motivated. When you get to an impasse, you figure out the next step to moving forward.

You market yourself as this jack of all trades, but when someone has a specific idea it is always met with resistance. I’m not saying the following to be anything other than helpful to you... That would irritate the hell out of me.

When it comes to hiring someone to do something for you, you don’t want the employee that sounds like a broken record of excuses. It seriously comes down to this one sentence... Ok if you can’t do it, I’m not going to hire you.

Also this thread is your de facto resume. Do you think you put your best foot forward in the original post? Have you done it in follow up posts?

I thought most of them wanted more time, and well I am absolutely clueless as to what would make them say that.
If you are clueless about something, figure out how not to be. It is your choice and the information is out there.

I am having very slow progress son writing good copy that goes "wow"
Then learn to do it faster. You can. It is your choice.

phrasing is far from my strong suit.
So you recognize a place in your life that needs some improvement. Address it, don’t live with it.

however I have yet to find job openings that require reading large amounts of dry scientific literature.
Why have you pigeonholed yourself into that one thing? Why wouldn’t you expand your capabilities. It is your choice to do so. It is your choice to become valuable to a wider scope of people.

what I lack is sales skill.
Then you should probably work on that a bit. It is your choice and there are countless free resources out there to help you improve.

but I'm completly unable to compete with people in a low cost of living areas
How does everyone else do it? How are the richest people in the world also living in the highest cost of living cities in the world? They became more relevant than their competitors. You can outcompete anyone. Price is not the only factor. Skills are another.

but it requires me to find out what their problem actually might be, this is hard because I have to keep guessing as I have no network I can ask.
Just Ask... How can I help you? What are your needs? What would make you excited about working together? Questions like this go a long way. How hard is that?

Another instance of something you might want to improve upon. You have recognized a weakness, deal with it instead of letting it fester.

I'd explain how modern tech would make websites better, how I could build any feature they wanted for their website. No one cared.
Cast a wider net and I mprove your communication skills. Businesses spend millions on web work every hour of every day.

however this require money and make sit impossible to offer too cheaply/for free
If it is something that makes value sense... and you can lead... and accurately convey that value to the proper people you can find the money.

Than offer something better. You can. It is your choice to up your skill set and offer it to the market. Learning is basically free.

I will have to think on how I can phrase my skills as if they are solving a problem.
“As if they are solving a problem?” How about actually solving it? I know you have this giant mental block about how problems just continue to exist no matter how much you address them, but that is untrue. You can absolutely 100% learn your way out of this slump and I sincerely hope you do.

Try this for your response; do not use the words/phrases “but, however, I can’t or it’s hard” because you can if you figure out how.

I wish you success on Saturday, because it isn’t luck.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Not true, you would have to rebuy the ad because the ad is over a year old.

However, simply rewrite your post and post it as a new post in this thread. I will copy it and edit it into your original post up top. Make sure to tag me when you do this so I know to come in and copy it. That way you don't have to rebuy the ad.
My bad,that is a very kind offer,thank you.

None of that, now...

You created an algorithm that routinely beats professionally managed funds just, like, for fun. You have skills people want; you just need to isolate them and present them in a way that clearly demonstrates they'll solve someone's problems.

Well about 90% of them...it has no options or rebalancing yet. I like solving hard technical problems and that was one, probably the sort of thing I would do after finding my fastlane.

It is hard for me to tell a marketing problem of what peoole want and I am unable to present vs solving a problem no one cares about.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Then find new people or offer something else.

Don't over-complicate it. Keep putting yourself out there an be earnest. Five years ago, in an interview for a mid-level accounting position, the Controller asked me a bunch of technical questions I couldn't answer, and just seemed agitated. The owner walked by the room on his way to lunch, walked in, and asked if I had ever used a full suite ERP. I looked him in the eye and said "No, I have no idea, but I'll figure it out." I got the job, left a year later to take a Controller job at another company, and got hired back 2 years later to be the VP of Sales at the company that originally hired me to be an accountant. The controller that was so disappointed in my technical skills is still a controller.

You can reinvent yourself if you stop nay saying yourself. If you don't offer the right thing, learn to offer something else, or offer the same thing in a different way. If nobody you know wants what you have, meet some new people

You can do it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Looking back through this thread, it appears that one of your biggest issues is that you are basically saying:

"I can do a lot of things, what do you want me to do? How can I add value to you?"

And everyone you ask is responding with:

"Great question, I don't know. Nothing for now, I guess"

You may think nobody cares or nobody needs what you have to offer but you need to realize that the reason you are getting this response is simple - you are being vague.

Very, very vague.

And the more vague you are, the less of an expert you appear and the less needed you become.

Let's say you were out looking for a copywriter. Would you hire:

Person A - "I have experience reviewing things, researching, I think I write well, I've helped others do some stuff, I can do a lot of things for you, how can I help?"

Person B - "I'm an expert product copywriter. I've written persuasive copy that has taken client conversion rates from 0.5% to 7% overnight"

The answer is obvious. You pick option B because that choice very closely matches up with the problem you are facing right now.

The more vague you are, the less likely you'll get picked simply because you don't closely match anyone's needs.

Here's a terrible (sorry) quote from your first post:

I believe, I will be most effective at research

Researching what? For who? For what purpose? What have you researched in the past? How did that turn out?

Are you doing keyword research for ad campaigns or are you doing market research for new product development or what? I have no idea what you are good at. And not only do I not know what you're good at - you don't seem to either. You also only "BELIEVE" you are good at it. I don't want someone who believes they are good at something. I want someone who KNOWS they are GREAT at something SPECIFIC.

If I'm looking for someone to make me a new logo for a new company I've come up with, am I going to hire a guy who "believes he's good at art", or am I going to hire someone who "is an expert graphical design professional, specializing in logo design? It's not even a choice.

I’ve fiddled around with a few techs and I can probably automate some of your drudge work or if all else fails do it for you.

Again - from your first post. I don't know what this means!

What drudge work SPECIFICALLY do you have experience automating? Maybe you can do something super cool that will save me a few hours a week. I'd totally pay for that. But I probably don't even know what's possible or how you can help me unless YOU TELL ME.

And if you KNOW you can automate but don't know HOW that can be useful - ASK! Start a thread that asks "what tasks or activities do you do again and again, day in and day out, that you wish you didn't have to manually fiddle with?"

Now you have the beginnings of a unique selling proposition. Maybe 3 or 4 people give you some order handling task and you figure you can totally automate that. Well now you come back and say "I can automate your order processing so you never have to touch it and it will save you 5 hours per week". Do you think people will jump on that? The ones with repetitive order handling issues will, anyway.

You need to understand that nobody goes out looking for ways to make use of people.

People who have specific problems seek out people with specific solutions.
People with specific solutions seek out people with specific problems.

Nobody ever, ever, ever spends time trying to figure out how to match a "generally useful person" with a problem.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
@LittleWolfie as I am reading this thread, I am seeing several extremely competent and high earning individuals encouraging you and trying to help, only to be met with but, but, but, however, I can’t.

Really,because I have been eliminating all words that end in nt from the vocabulary,I recently learnt something interesting about no,but and I will add however to the ban list.

Dude, entrepreneurship is about self starting and being self motivated. When you get to an impasse, you figure out the next step to moving forward.

I'm perfectly capabale of motivating myself, I used to be basically obese and now I am a litte above average weight. Once I have figured out how to overcome an impasse, I will be intrinsically motivated.

Dude you market yourself as this jack of all trades, but when someone has a specific idea it is always met with resistance.

I am throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

I’m not saying the following to be anything other than helpful to you... That would irritate the hell out of me.

when it comes to hiring someone to do something for you, you don’t want the employee that sounds like a broken record of excuses.

Can you explain sounding like a "broken record"? Because I am completely mystified by that.

Also this thread is your de facto resume. Do you think you put your best foot forward in the original post? Have you done it in follow up posts?

Yes and yes,always room for improvement so the next step can be better

If you are clueless about something, figure out how not to be. It is your choice and the information is out there.

I agree and the best way is too simply ask people who can do what you want to be able to do. What is a good replacement for however?

Notwithstanding,nonetheless,yet?

then learn to do it faster. You can. It is your choice.

Once,I have made my pick, I will. Until then I am unwilling to commit.

so you recognize a place in your life that needs some improvement. Address it, don’t live with it.

I'm using AI to help me with detecting the emotion/appearance of in text and to try and stop me from sounding too negative. Fundamentally, it is only aa good as the dataset,so people have to tell actually tell you what the negative words are;

why have you pigeonholed yourself into that one thing? Why wouldn’t you expand your capabilities. It is your choice to do so. It is your choice to become valuable to a wider scope of people.

I am considering a wide range of things (possibly too overbroad, that was my answer to a question about getting a job around skills I am good at.

Technical Writing could be something that pays me money to do things I am good at

Then you should probably work on that a bit. It is your choice and there are countless free resources out there to help you improve.

I actually think I may have the largest resource now,from my collections over the last year.

How does everyone else do it?
Some other people also struggle..

how are the richest people in the world also living in the highest cost of living cities in the world?

Network effects of living in very large cites,maybe? Owning a product rather than selling their time.

They became more relevant than their competitors. You can outcompete anyone. Price is not the only factor. Skills are another.

I have seen some differentiate via a product,others via being availble physically locally in places like Leeds or London, or by having the correct visa.

I have yet to see an example of skills based differentiation that I understand

just Ask... How can I help you? What are your needs? What would make you excited about working together? Questions like this go a long way. How hard is that?

Well I have only thought of q1 and q2,will add q3 to the list. How can I help you? What are your needs? What would make you excited about working together?

Easy to ask,getting answers and follow up answers is the part with more difficulty.

[QUOTE="Kak, post: 810654, member: 4862]Another instance of something you might want to improve upon. You have recognized a weakness, deal with it instead of letting it fester.
[/QUOTE]

I have medical professionals working with me on this.

[QUOTE="Kak, post: 810654, member: 4862]
Cast a wider net and I mprove your communication skills. Businesses spend millions on web work every hour of every day.
[/QUOTE]

I'm unsure how to cast a wider net or how to tap into some of that web work.

If it is something that makes value sense... and you can lead... and accurately convey that value to the proper people you can find the money.
[/QUOTE]

Accurately convey sounds like it might be part of copywriting to me, is that right? I want to learn how to find the proper people first.

Than offer something better. You can. It is your choice to up your skill set and offer it to the market. Learning is basically free.
[/QUOTE]

Sure and I just want an idea of what people actually want, I like the automation process questions suggested further down (responding in turn for now)

As if they are solving a problem?” How about actually solving it? I know you have this giant mental block about how problems just continue to exist no matter how much you address them, but that is untrue. You can absolutely 100% learn your way out of this slump and I sincerely hope you do.
[/QUOTE]
Untrue, some problems will cease tp exist once properly addressed. I'm unsure what on earth gave you that impression.

Try this for your response; do not use the words/phrases “but, however, I can’t or it’s hard” because you can if you figure out how.

I wish you success on Saturday, because it isn’t luck.
[/QUOTE]

Of course I can, I'm good at replacing one words with others with the exact same literal intention if that adds value then just tell me the bad words and the good ones. I keep asking this, but your the first one to actally tell me the nad words.

Once I know this, I can just write a script to let my computer do it for me,hey presto I instantly appear to have changed my mindset, overcome negativity and be making progress.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
What drudge work SPECIFICALLY do you have experience automating? Maybe you can do something super cool that will save me a few hours a week. I'd totally pay for that. But I probably don't even know what's possible or how you can help me unless YOU TELL ME.

Analysing large amounts of stock data to draw conclusions, using twitter to respond to specifc keywords, sentiment analysis(in this case for finding out emotion/postivity for stock market prediction,it could be used to improve automated customer support via email/twitter or to identify priorty follow ups for cold calls. A pretty basic one was placing all emails on a particular subject into a spreedsheet to make it easier to create a record and a trigger for action/follow up.

set up clonezilla script to automate ISO deployment, macro to save word document as vba script. Data scraping of local empty properties for sale,then providing their address and plotted on google map. (I was unable to get any sales, so then I tried to give it away for free on facebook property groups and nobody would download it or even give me their email address...)

Figuring out how to explain what is easily automated to a layman has if I recall correctly a million dollar prize from Google.

Randall explains the problem better than me,basically it is best just to have people tell me what they would like automated and I can tell them yes or no.

smand if you KNOW you can automate but don't know HOW that can be useful - ASK! Start a thread that asks "what tasks or activities do you do again and again, day in and day out, that you wish you didn't have to manually fiddle with?"

Done
, what tasks or activities do you do again and again, day in and day out, that you wish you didn't have to manually fiddle with?"
Now you have the beginnings of a unique selling proposition. Maybe 3 or 4 people give you some order handling task and you figure you can totally automate that. Well now you come back and say "I can automate your order processing so you never have to touch it and it will save you 5 hours per week". Do you think people will jump on that? The ones with repetitive order handling issues will, anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn

Oh. I was selling them their time. What would you do with an extra 3 hours a week?

There is also a ROI of an extra 1% of trunover for each 10ms of quuckwr loading website. Yet people want 3 second wordpress sites over fast static sites. Without knowing turnover,hard to give an exact $ figure. I think people fail to understand the percentages.

One big thing is to find a single client to do work for free......probably someone you already know. Have them write a solid review paragraph. That will state the problem and your solution as well as the ease of using your service.
I hunt down identities of con men and do deep dives into peoples backgrounds.
I don't rely on copy or a web page. these people come to me.
If you have a skill, develop it.
If you have a skill, do it for free until it becomes something you can charge for

Someone has already paid me. I am using this to fund in-person cold calls.

I have two leads to follow up on from this forum. It appears I sell better when I have never been seen.

All developing a skill for free has got me is people who want more free work.

Charging gives me a metric to tell if the market values what I am providing.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Exactly what you are selling?
Saving you time via automation of common office and admin tasks. Letting you achieve more with less time

The last request was invoice automation. So invoice attachments from suppliers saved to drive by software for them. Also the software is recording the invoice details into a spreadsheet, thus providing them a tidy and easy to retrieve record of invoices.

Avoiding worrying about VAs disappearing. Or getting upset over the erratic nature of freelancers. As well as paying week in, week out when your revenue is variable. Or you becoming confused figuring out which freelancer to choose.

I was unable to read through your copy. It's so boring.

Yes. I am working on my copywriting. I am one hundred percent aware how awful it was. The hard part is figuring out how to improve it. I'm trying out the Hemingway editor for this purpose.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.