The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for some honest feedback... selling shorts.

Mike Cutler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 26, 2019
St. George, Utah
Hey everyone! I hope it's okay to ask for some help here. I've read both Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted several times. After reading MJ's books I finally got to a point where I knew I had to start something. After several months of working, I created athletic men's shorts. My website just laughed, and I would love some honest feedback. I know it needs a lot of work.

My main struggle is how to drive website traffic, and helping customers see the vision of what I am trying to do. The name of my website is hypflex.

hypflex.com

Thanks everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well for starters, you've chosen a line of goods that is somewhat commodified. I know I'm not brand loyal to any pair of shorts other than fit and price.

As such, your branding will be big part of the equation. At first glance, I don't see much there in terms of branding that conveys that, "These freaking shorts are like nothing you've ever worn!" The website just doesn't convey any sizzle. And for something boring like shorts, you'll need sizzle.

I would also think that in this line of goods you will NEED to offer free return shipping as well, and use that as a value skew.

What kind of market validation did you get that shorts was something good to sell? Other than you personal distaste for available options?

NOTE: I moved your intro to the Concept Feedback part of the forum and edited the title.

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
You desperately need better pictures. Right now they look like plain loose fitting shorts for men with skinny legs. The third picture I am not even sure this is a man's lower body, as the shirt widens from the top to bottom. You need athletic bodies in your pictures, something that people would want to look at.

You asked for honest...

D

Deleted50669

I'd recommend doing further market research. Take a look at what niche brands are doing, and what demographics they serve. Clothing brands that have success have a market identity. Need underwear for truckers? Duluth Trading. Need surfing shorts? Quicksilver. Need WASPy prep-boy shorts? Brookes Brothers.

Who is your market? If you think your market is "people who want stretchy shorts" ... well.. good luck.

Mike Cutler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 26, 2019
St. George, Utah
Well for starters, you've chosen a line of goods that is somewhat commodified. I know I'm not brand loyal to any pair of shorts other than fit and price.

As such, your branding will be big part of the equation. At first glance, I don't see much there in terms of branding that conveys that, "These freaking shorts are like nothing you've ever worn!" The website just doesn't convey any sizzle. And for something boring like shorts, you'll need sizzle.

I would also think that in this line of goods you will NEED to offer free return shipping as well, and use that as a value skew.

What kind of market validation did you get that shorts was something good to sell? Other than you personal distaste for available options?

NOTE: I moved your intro to the Concept Feedback part of the forum and edited the title.

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Thanks so much for the response MJ. You're totally right. After looking more into it, the messaging on my website is really dull. I'll change that!

To be honest, I could have done more product validating. I did a small focus group of my target market, but I didn't do much beyond that.

Thanks so much for your help!

Mike Cutler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 26, 2019
St. George, Utah
You desperately need better pictures. Right now they look like plain loose fitting shorts for men with skinny legs. The third picture I am not even sure this is a man's lower body, as the shirt widens from the top to bottom. You need athletic bodies in your pictures, something that people would want to look at.

You asked for honest...
I really appreciate that! Thank you. You are completely right.

Mike Cutler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 26, 2019
St. George, Utah
I'd recommend doing further market research. Take a look at what niche brands are doing, and what demographics they serve. Clothing brands that have success have a market identity. Need underwear for truckers? Duluth Trading. Need surfing shorts? Quicksilver. Need WASPy prep-boy shorts? Brookes Brothers.

Who is your market? If you think your market is "people who want stretchy shorts" ... well.. good luck.

Awesome advice. I need to work on my vision and find my target market. Up until now, I haven't focused as much on that as I should. Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.