The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for a mentor already in the Fastlane

G

GuestUser113

You're looking for a mentor in the wrong place. Check out a company you like and ask to speak to their co-founders.

I have a feeling here that most of the people on this forum are out-of-work, living with their parents and looking for get-rich-quick schemes. I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions but I haven't seen any exceptional intelligence to any replies here.

That's great that you have these illusory "feelings"

What I see is a bunch of bitter men dogging on a woman who is attempting to find solutions to her homebusiness while they enthusiastically give emotional support to guys who talk about instant coffee and their depression problems.

And no offense throttleforward, but most of the forum members here don't seem to be responding to questions of a business nature- more like this is a support group for depressed men who don't know what they're doing with their lives.

If these company leaders exist on this board, I guess they're all getting some sort of incentive for publicising this book. Pardon me, I thought I was on a board to talk about start-ups and entrepreneurship and certain obstacles to overcome for new companies, not a board to publicise some get rich quick book.

resized_business-cat-meme-generator-orly-please-go-on-6a7728.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
People who get mentors, are people that show they deserve a mentor. (their commitment and results in a business)

People who get mentors in generally work for mentors for a long period of time and then they may or may not get mentorship.

Read some posts from big contributors in this forum.

They layout what a person needs to have a mentor.

Edit: This forum is a mentor.

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
That's great that you have these illusory "feelings"

What I see is a bunch of bitter men dogging on a woman who is attempting to find solutions to her homebusiness while they enthusiastically give emotional support to guys who talk about instant coffee and their depression problems.

And no offense throttleforward, but most of the forum members here don't seem to be responding to questions of a business nature- more like this is a support group for depressed men who don't know what they're doing with their lives.

Well, to each their own, but while sure there are a ton of the "someone hold my hand and show me the path" or "I'm 19 and don't know jack about life" threads, there are plenty also that have little nuggets of information about sources of knowledge/products/how tos/etc that I have found really useful for identifying the quickest paths (or rejecting ideas) for my own projects. I choose which threads to read and don't read them all, and this forum is but one of the tools/information sources for my goals. I don't see a bunch of bitter men with depression problems because I don't read those threads, but I do see successful people from both sexes who have made their paths work for them through hard work. Take what you need and leave what you don't.

To the OP: Why don't you share some of your failures and we can see where you are at in terms of learning and skills and make recommendations from there? Remember that overnight success is almost always after a long period of working in the trenches and sticking through the dip in motivation. Also, you are asking a lot of someone to let a person they hardly know gain knowledge of their markets, business model, and information and thereby opening the door to someone to put them out of business. You say you aren't that type of person, but how do they know? Or that you won't turn and sell that somewhere else? People can provide guidance, but no one is going to think for you.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Think the whole idea of a mentor is one that cares about whether you succeed or not. As I look back at my own mentor's they were an example. Illustrated success by their own actions. Not afraid to help someone succeed. Not afraid to get their hands dirty. While they may challenge you and allow you to take responsibility for your emotions, feelings, thinking patterns, and behaviors, they don't discourage you, tell you what a loser you are unless you're in the military, or a control freak, need to be superior to others, and make other people feel small. Authoritarian's are like this, and fortunately stress, anxiety, worry, and pressure, does more damage to your brain.

It's exactly why there are so many people in America that have depression. People take the negative approach, don't have empathy, compassion, patience, or understanding for other people. It's a hassle for some people to help you. While you may be growing and developing, learn not to take it personally. There are great mentor's out there, and one's that coach you to be a success. It just depends on who they are, where they've been, and what their personal experience has been. Some will only feed you. Some will teach you to fish. Some will teach you to sell fishing poles. Some will teach you to be and expert fishing salesman. Take your pick.

Positive mentor's are willing to take you to the end zone, they're not going to take you half way. You need someone that is going challenge you to be your best self and push you to your limits, but at the same time use dignity and respect.

Kindleunlimited is a good place for you to be, books don't talk back, and give you a lot of answers. There are a lot of good books on getting the right mindset, setting goals, getting schedules, staying on task, and starting a business, etc. Just use your key words. Plenty of videos, talk shows, and until you find someone that is going to go the extra mile with you, it's a good place to start. You may even find one at the end of the book with a link to them.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
And no offense throttleforward, but most of the forum members here don't seem to be responding to questions of a business nature- more like this is a support group for depressed men who don't know what they're doing with their lives

Would be nice if it was all business, but biz is weird...
You have to "keep busy" to stop losing your mind
Not everyone does that in the best way (is there a best way out there so far?)
People can jump way too quickly here [HASHTAG]#itsatouchysubject[/HASHTAG] :p

If you are looking for great wisdom
I have only one

Give more than you get

Follow that rule and you'll make miracles happen, eventually.
Also, believe in yourself first before asking for advice or looking for it so you have better filters running in your process, don't do anything by rote.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-astonishing-secrets-that-zen*******-never-told-you…exposed.50097/

This was my favorite thread of this forum

I wish you all the fortune in your journey to business excellence, if you have questions about biz subjects you can pm me, I'll do my best to give you some real biz straight shooting advice

Otherwise I suggest following your GUTIf something doesn't feel right its best to take that seriously
But blame is a double edged sword
So you just manage it

Last edited by a moderator:

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
Would be nice if it was all business, but biz is weird...
You have to "keep busy" to stop losing your mind
Not everyone does that in the best way (is there a best way out there so far?)
People can jump way too quickly here [HASHTAG]#itsatouchysubject[/HASHTAG] :p

If you are looking for great wisdom
I have only one

Give more than you get

Follow that rule and you'll make miracles happen, eventually.
Also, believe in yourself first before asking for advice or looking for it so you have better filters running in your process, don't do anything by rote.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-astonishing-secrets-that-zen*******-never-told-you…exposed.50097/

This was my favorite thread of this forum

I wish you all the fortune in your journey to business excellence, if you have questions about biz subjects you can pm me, I'll do my best to give you some real biz straight shooting advice

Otherwise I suggest following your GUTIf something doesn't feel right its best to take that seriously
But blame is a double edged sword
So you just manage it

I'm not quite sure if you're addressing me or the OP, but I don't do PMs. However, since you are full of helpful advice, how about giving your input on these three topics? :)

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...of-cto-best-worked-for-you.54444/#post-393763
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...rs-would-you-want-to-work-for-yourself.54541/
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/attracting-top-talent-and-retention.54493/

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You're looking for a mentor in the wrong place. Check out a company you like and ask to speak to their co-founders.

I have a feeling here that most of the people on this forum are out-of-work, living with their parents and looking for get-rich-quick schemes. I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions but I haven't seen any exceptional intelligence to any replies here.

People are dogging you here but you're right. That's just how internet self-help forums are. Predominantly male, early to mid 20s, make little money and want the answer to everything: girls, hot body, and lots of money. Look at /r/entrepreneur or Warrior Forum, people just wanna come on and figure out the secret to making $3k/month staying at home.

Difference is, we see that and we take steps to push people off that path. The successful active members here I can count on my fingers and toes, but that's a hell of a lot better than what you see on most places. This isn't the wrong place to find a mentor, but it damn sure is the wrong place to ask for one.

(Although you should probably chill with the trollish attitude)

As for the OP, the general rule of this forum is to give first. If you have nothing to give, lurk more, learn, work, F*ck up, make a mess until you have something to contribute. Tell us more in depth about your failures and why you think they happened. I remember @Vigilante made one of his first posts all about his failures and how he f*cked up in the past. Now he's basically the F*ckin MAN.

So, OP, keep on failing and keep us up to date on how you're doing. A simple Progress Thread stating what you're doing to change your situation would be awesome.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

How about you 1) learn the appropriate uses for "Progress Thread" and "Ask Me Anything" (hint, neither is for soliciting advice), and 2) stop spamming the OP's post with your negativity. If you want to start a thread about how the forum is filled with depressed men looking for the next get quick rich scheme, go ahead under your own thread. The only thing you contributed to her was "talk to cofounders" - cofounders don't have time to just chat it up with people who cold call them looking for business advice. They DO have time for people who are taking action themselves and need specific guidance for specific problems in their current business. Saying "I love your business, let's chat!" will get you nowhere - saying "I love the way you just launched your latest baby product on instagram - do you happen to have any favorite books or resources on instagram marketing? I'm launching my own product in another space and I'm having a little trouble getting traction" will go a lot further.

@dreamer Tell us more about your previous business/moneymaking attempts. What specifically did you try? Did anything work - did you make any sales at all? We need a starting point in order to do a post mortem on where you went wrong and steer you in the right direction.

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
How about you 1) learn the appropriate uses for "Progress Thread" and "Ask Me Anything" (hint, neither is for soliciting advice), and 2) stop spamming the OP's post with your negativity. If you want to start a thread about how the forum is filled with depressed men looking for the next get quick rich scheme, go ahead under your own thread. The only thing you contributed to her was "talk to cofounders" - cofounders don't have time to just chat it up with people who cold call them looking for business advice. They DO have time for people who are taking action themselves and need specific guidance for specific problems in their current business. Saying "I love your business, let's chat!" will get you nowhere - saying "I love the way you just launched your latest baby product on instagram - do you happen to have any favorite books or resources on instagram marketing? I'm launching my own product in another space and I'm having a little trouble getting traction."

@dreamer Tell us more about your previous business/moneymaking attempts. What specifically did you try? Did anything work - did you make any sales at all? We need a starting point in order to do a post mortem on where you went wrong and steer you in the right direction.

I'm not forgetting you throttle. Don't feel bad if I forgot you in my reply. Your input would be very much appreciated in these following threads :)

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/com...of-cto-best-worked-for-you.54444/#post-393763
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/com...rs-would-you-want-to-work-for-yourself.54541/
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/attracting-top-talent-and-retention.54493/

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Great strategy to call out the whole board, bash top contributors and then look for advice from the very same people. Must've taken you some time to come up with that one.

Ignored

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
Great strategy to call out the whole board, bash top contributors and then look for advice from the very same people. Must've taken you some time to come up with that one.

Ignored

Hey I'm just trying to figure out if there are people who are actually interesting here, or if this isn't some subgroup of those idiots who read Fast Seduction Theory and Become a Millionaire in One Week books.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How about answering these 3 topics?

You insult me? My book? My forum? My community? The contributors here? And I (or we) should answer your 3 posts? Now that's funny! You punch us in the face and demand that we serve you? You are nothing but a troll. A taker. A leech. And an ignorant moron to pass judgement on a forum you haven't read, a community of people who you don't even know, and a book you haven't read. You are a fool.

Get lost.

You've been here since last Wednesday and guess what, you won't last till this Wednesday.

Oh, and go talk to co-founders as advice? Funny, have you cofounded anything? Had strangers come into your office and want to "shoot the shit.?" Obviously not. You sound like someone who's whole breadth of experience comes from a text book. Zero real world experience but theory. But what do I know, I'm just an out-of-work old man with an 8-figure net worth.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
cut her some slack, maybe she's just on her period.. :finger:

ArizonaBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 28, 2014
Chandler, AZ
From one non-Fastlaner to another I advise you to create your own 'virtual mentor' - What I do is track down lots of postings/materials created by individuals who have proven that they know what they're doing, then take lots of notes. Try to limit yourself to just a small number of people, otherwise you'll get lots of contrary advice.

I've been doing this for the past couple months based on some great advice Billy Murphy of Forever Jobless fame (a.k.a. @snowbank on the forums). In one of his podcasts he said 'identify a person that is EXACTLY where you want to be and use their advice as a blueprint.'

The two individuals I've found have given consistently great advice (unsurprisingly) are MJ and Billy Murphy - they both have SO MANY good tips and their viewpoints are complimentary with each other. Just reading, recording and following their advice or the advice of others that know what they're doing should help you help yourself.

Bob

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
cut her some slack, maybe she's just on her period..

Please keep the sexist comments to yourself. I could have called her a bitch, but didn't. Trolls are unisex.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
You guys, the problem is clearly:
#1 she hasn't read the book=thinks it's a get rich quick scam
#2 she's not an INSIDERS=doesn't see the action-taking business-advice-giving section

I'm glad you just said that MJ because I was going to mention also that you have rules on treating people fairly, and I've been treated equally so far (pleasantly surprised).

To @dreamer from personal experience, this whole forum is indeed one giant mentorship. Same with the book. Start making progress and people will most likely start chiming in after a while. I've gotten TONS of help, all free, and it's steered me in a direction I don't regret going. Also, find your group of people. Not everyone here will be your type, but that's ok. :D

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
giving your input on these three topics?
1) CTO
I'd not start up with a CTO initially, unless you really need it.
Don't build the company like legos, with figure heads etc, you want to grind, test the water (low commitment first) and then once you KNOW what you want and exactly what payoffs you get, you get the guy and test their performance.
2) What kind of boss
I'd be the kind that works with them. But I wouldn't hire straight of the gate. Making a company isn't about inserting employees, its best to test it lean first, see if the ideas etc float.
You don't scale until you already have solid profits
3) I think you have the right end goal but are missing the steps to get there
If you just hire people, you all drown together, you have to be strong alone then fold people in and give them a great environment

Try not to take anything as disrespect, this forum requires a fit, I get what you are after.

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
You insult me? My book? My forum? My community? The contributors here? And I (or we) should answer your 3 posts? Now that's funny! You punch us in the face and demand that we serve you? You are nothing but a troll. A taker. A leech. And an ignorant moron to pass judgement on a forum you haven't read, a community of people who you don't even know, and a book you haven't read. You are a fool.

Get lost.

You've been here since last Wednesday and guess what, you won't last till this Wednesday.

Oh, and go talk to co-founders as advice? Funny, have you cofounded anything? Had strangers come into your office and want to "shoot the shit.?" Obviously not. You sound like someone who's whole breadth of experience comes from a text book. Zero real world experience but theory. But what do I know, I'm just an out-of-work old man with an 8-figure net worth.

I'm not insulting you at all Mr. DeMarco. I'm a little surprised by your anger and emotional reaction, however. If you write a book, obviously there'll be lots of critics. I've actually been helping you and your website by instigating lively conversation to this place where otherwise people would be talking about being depressed and instant coffee in the 6 days I've checked this place out. I think the topics I asked are genuinely worthy of a response. Of course, you can choose not to reply.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Quick Tips that have served me well

You must build your 'roundtable' with people you aspire to be like. (living and dead). Reflect your decisions off of them.

You must reach a point where you can smash through a book a week. Or perhaps even a book a day. (sometimes even overviews of a vast subject will suffice, but it depends)

You must learn how to approach people with a basic respect for their time and knowledge.

You must learn to trade to get what you want. (here's a tool that I use that works for me, I hope it's useful to you, can I ask you a quick question about this subject? (always hone in on a subject, not a nebulous blob that probably has 100 interpretations).

If you email, keep it under 4 lines of length. The shorter the better.

You must never appear needy, OR over-enthusiastic (they see this all the time). THE WORLD IS MINE! Uh, no it isn't.

You must approach a potential mentor with boots covered in mud, jeans ripped and messy, and hands with scars and callouses from digging in the trenches.

You must learn to never demand. This assumes that people owe you something. We don't. We are not expecting your arrival!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you write a book, obviously there'll be lots of critics.

Absolutely. However, if you want to criticize my book or my forum, do it at YOUR blog or YOUR forum. You know the one that YOU created with millions of visitors. But let me guess, you have no blog, no forum, or no audience.

I get emotional because you WALKED INTO MY HOUSE and pissed on the carpet. Would that set you off a bit? And now you want me to serve you steak and caviar. Ain't happening.

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
Absolutely. However, if you want to criticize my book or my forum, do it at YOUR blog or YOUR forum. You know the one that YOU created with millions of visitors. But let me guess, you have no blog, no forum, or no audience.

I get emotional because you WALKED INTO MY HOUSE and pissed on the carpet. Would that set you off a bit? And now you want me to serve you steak and caviar. Ain't happening.

I'm not a journalist, a glutton nor a dog, Mr. DeMarco. :) I think it would be more interesting if you talked more about how your book differs from Tim Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week as opposed to getting randomly angry at a forum poster who is trying to help you out.

G

GuestUser113

I'm not a journalist, a glutton nor a dog, Mr. DeMarco. :) I think it would be more interesting if you talked more about how your book differs from Tim Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week as opposed to getting randomly angry at a forum poster who is trying to help you out.

Perhaps you should read both. Make up your own conclusion. For me, the difference is very clear.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/mj-is-offering-free-mentoring.25393/

Here's a list of other successful members that also offer free mentoring ---> via the quality of their posts and/or progress threads here:
That should be enough to get you started (there are more). Most of the best content is on the INSIDE but still tons of great content on the main forum. Dig in, read everything by these members, take notes.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Oh now boys and girls................ Interpretation is the only variable at work here. Everyone knows what is going on here. I will refrain from further comment.

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
Thanks MJ! If I don't find a mentor as a result of creating this thread, I'm at least glad I created it so you could comment :)

& Yes I know what "Fastlane" is... your book is my favorite NF book of all time :D Although I must admit, it's been about 2 years since I've read it, (And since I created this account). So it might be wise to read it again.

And no I'm not wanting to LITERALLY copy someone's exact success... I more or less meant find a mentor who is willing to help me toward MY path to success, and help me find a business model that works for ME. Whether it's their own or not. But it'd probably be easier if they shared with me their niche/market, and I can LEARN from their success, not copy it. Sorry guys.

Hey dreamer, we understand your feelings, but what people are trying to essentially tell you is that you are focusing to much on what someone can do for you and not what you can do for them.

To enjoy success you must first become a giver and a creator of value. A business essentially trades value for money. You are looking for a shortcut from a mentor, but like everyone has already mentioned, shortcuts don't exist. Look within yourself and focus on providing value to the world in any form possible.

My intent is not to bash you or put you down, at the contrary, im trying to make you realize that you are still in the me, me , me mentality which we all go through. You need to shift that mind set to give, give, give...then take.

Thats the way the world works and you cant violate its laws. If you want to receive you first have to give.

Shift your mindset to one of gratefulness, and giving. Depression will begin to disappear and desperation will turn into action. Don't look for shortcuts, or mentors, you aren't ready for one yet.

Best of luck to you! Start giving without expecting anything in return and keep reading and taking action.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
If these company leaders exist on this board, I guess they're all getting some sort of incentive for publicising this book. Pardon me, I thought I was on a board to talk about start-ups and entrepreneurship and certain obstacles to overcome for new companies, not a board to publicise some get rich quick book.

You're on a board that talks about how to build valuable companies that add value. If your motto is "Build it and they will come", chances are that you won't be a fit here because our motto here is "Listen to the market and add value".

Read the book. It'll give you a fresh perspective on creating businesses. (No, I'm not getting paid by MJ to say that).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Maybe you should read the 2 books and figure it out for yourselves. You are clearly disillusioned if you think you are helping the forum. And you did just save me some time as I did read through the 3 threads you linked, but now I don't want to reply in any of them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.