The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life altering insight: Pursuing a clear vision vs. improving iteratively (and how lack of trust in myself led to the latter)

Anything related to matters of the mind

YelmisPravida

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 23, 2012
I've always seen life through an evolutionary lens: The best and safest way to build something is to start with what you have now, identify the current biggest problem or bottleneck, improve that - in a way that is "reversible" should it not work out. Doing this over and over will lead you to a business that will survive and improve over time.

Unbeknownst to myself, this way of seeing life came from fear and lack of trust in myself to be able to paint a grand picture and build towards it.

I've built my business this way from the very beginning - and it has worked. But "worked" in relation to the unconscious fear that was always driving me: To not die.

So my business has not died. It has grown, slowly but steadily, and is, I must say, quite a good one. We have been profitable almost every year (started 2015). Revenues have been growing year by year. Internal skills, processes, resources have improved steadily. So in that sense, this way of seeing it has worked. It has allowed me to build a small, but stable, business, which has adapted well to its environment, and survived.

But I have been fooling myself. I have been telling myself that this is what I wanted. To build a business that doesn't die and which can one day survive without me.

But it wasn't.

What I've realized is that that was my fear speaking. My fear of trusting myself to paint a picture of what I want to build, and then boldly driving towards that.

Instead of starting with a problem and finding a way to solve it, I started with something I knew would work today, and then trusting myself to find the next steps from there, iteratively making it bigger. (Which is what I've done.)

This sentence from The E-Myth Revisited struck me, and struck me hard:

"The Entrepreneurial Perspective start with a well-defined future, and then comes back to the present with the intention of changing it to match the vision."

This is not what I've done. I have started with what I can build today, and then gradually taking it to where I can, based on the current circumstances and immediate next possibilities.

Here's what I have now started doing and will do:
  1. I will define the results I want to achieve for our customers, and the problems they have. I have kind of done this today, but not in the form of results they should achieve - but rather the "what" that I think they want (not what that "what" will produce). I have made a first draft, based on what I think I know, but my next step is to actually verify this and truly know what the problems are.
  2. I have already crafted a vision of what the next step of the business should be. Next, after formally defining the results we want to achieve for our customers, I will re-define that vision: "Is this the best way we can deliver that result predictably, effectively, and scalably to our customers, and to whom exactly?". I will re-craft the vision to align towards that those results our customers want.
  3. I will then look at what we can do today to start building towards that vision - and remove all the limitations in my mind that stops me from acquiring the skills, resources, tools, partners to achieve that vision. I will make a plan for how to reach it, and then do everything I can to reach that, not just looking at the immediate next step to solve the immediate next bottleneck.
For me, this is a completely new perspective. I thought that I understood this. I didn't. I was blindsided by my fears. Now, it is time to let go, and unleash the true potential of what having a clear vision, formed by the desire to deliver a clear results that the market needs, can accomplish.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
J'ai toujours vu la vie à travers une lentille évolutive : la façon la meilleure et la plus sûre de construire quelque chose est de commencer avec ce que vous avez maintenant, d'identifier le plus gros problème ou goulot d'étranglement actuel, de l'améliorer - d'une manière qui soit " réversible" si ce n'est pas le cas. s'entraîner. Faire cela encore et encore vous mènera à une entreprise qui survivra et s'améliorera avec le temps.

À mon insu, cette façon de voir la vie est venue de la peur et du manque de confiance en moi pour pouvoir brosser un tableau grandiose et construire en ce sens.

J'ai construit mon entreprise de cette façon depuis le tout début - et cela a fonctionné. Mais "travaillé" par rapport à la peur inconsciente qui m'animait toujours : ne pas mourir.

Donc mon entreprise n'est pas morte. Il a grandi, lentement mais sûrement, et je dois dire qu'il est plutôt bon. Nous avons été rentables presque chaque année (depuis 2015). Les revenus ont augmenté d'année en année. Les compétences internes, les processus, les ressources se sont régulièrement améliorés. Donc, dans ce sens, cette façon de voir les choses a fonctionné. Cela m'a permis de monter une petite entreprise stable, qui s'est bien adaptée à son environnement et qui a survécu.

Mais je me suis trompé. Je me suis dit que c'était ce que je voulais. Bâtir une entreprise qui ne meurt pas et qui puisse un jour survivre sans moi.

Mais ce n'était pas le cas.

Ce que j'ai réalisé, c'est que c'était ma peur qui parlait. Ma peur de me faire confiance pour peindre un tableau de ce que je veux construire, puis de me diriger avec audace vers cela.

Au lieu de commencer par un problème et de trouver un moyen de le résoudre, j'ai commencé avec quelque chose dont je savais qu'il fonctionnerait aujourd'hui , puis je me suis fait confiance pour trouver les prochaines étapes à partir de là, en l'agrandissant de manière itérative. (C'est ce que j'ai fait.)

Cette phrase de The E-Myth Revisited m'a frappé, et m'a durement frappé :

"La perspective entrepreneuriale commence par un avenir bien défini, puis revient au présent avec l'intention de le modifier pour qu'il corresponde à la vision."

Ce n'est pas ce que j'ai fait. J'ai commencé avec ce que je peux construire aujourd'hui , puis je l'ai amené progressivement là où je le peux, en fonction des circonstances actuelles et des prochaines possibilités immédiates.

Voici ce que j'ai commencé à faire et ce que je ferai :
  1. Je vais définir les résultats que je veux atteindre pour nos clients, et les problèmes qu'ils ont. J'ai en quelque sorte fait cela aujourd'hui, mais pas sous la forme de résultats qu'ils devraient atteindre - mais plutôt le "quoi" que je pense qu'ils veulent (pas ce que ce "quoi" produira). J'ai fait une première ébauche, basée sur ce que je pense savoir, mais ma prochaine étape est de vérifier cela et de vraiment savoir quels sont les problèmes.
  2. J'ai déjà élaboré une vision de ce que devrait être la prochaine étape de l'entreprise. Ensuite, après avoir formellement défini les résultats que nous souhaitons obtenir pour nos clients, je redéfinirai cette vision : "Est-ce la meilleure façon de fournir ce résultat de manière prévisible, efficace et évolutive à nos clients, et à qui exactement ?" . Je redéfinirai la vision pour m'aligner sur les résultats que nos clients souhaitent.
  3. Je regarderai ensuite ce que nous pouvons faire aujourd'hui pour commencer à construire vers cette vision - et supprimer toutes les limites dans mon esprit qui m'empêchent d'acquérir les compétences, les ressources, les outils, les partenaires pour réaliser cette vision. Je vais faire un plan pour y parvenir, puis faire tout ce que je peux pour y parvenir , pas seulement en regardant la prochaine étape immédiate pour résoudre le prochain goulot d'étranglement immédiat.
Pour moi, c'est une toute nouvelle perspective. Je pensais avoir compris cela. Je ne l'ai pas fait. J'étais aveuglé par mes peurs. Maintenant, il est temps de lâcher prise et de libérer le véritable potentiel de ce qu'une vision claire, formée par le désir de fournir les résultats clairs dont le marché a besoin, peut accomplir.
Thank you for sharing your journey. I also appreciate your new perspective.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.