The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Liability Insurance for eCommerce store?

Anything related to matters of the mind

PlatinumCat

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 29, 2013
Hello everybody, lurker here, finally made an account because I need some advice.

I'm one of the slew of newbies who are jumping on the import arbitrage train. After nearly a year of reading and learning and plotting, I've decided to start taking action. I got my wife on board, and we are tackling this challenge together. I figure if anything, it will be a learning experience, and I can either build this starter project to success, or use the knowledge gained and apply it to more ambitious/innovative projects in the future. But for now, I'm trying to learn the ropes, and jumping in with both feet to see if I sink or swim.

Anyway, back on topic... I've decided on a product to import and sell on ebay: It's small, it's metal, and it's pointy (for the sake of example, lets equate this product to a letter opener, or a fork). Because of this, my wife insists that we need liability insurance. She says that if somebody were to throw it at somebody else, it could cause injury, which could then spell legal trouble for us. She refuses to sell even one unit until we get liability insurance. Is this reasonable? Should we get liability insurance before moving forward?

Honestly, it seems like a little much to me. I mean, we haven't even sold anything yet... we aren't even certain that it will sell, let alone enough to cover the cost of an insurance premium. Besides; theoretically, anything could cause injury if you try hard enough. Using that logic, shouldn't all ebay sellers should be insured? I'm pretty sure that they are not. Also; if I sold somebody a letter opener, and their kid manages to poke his eye out with it (or whatever), could I, as the seller, really be held liable for it? I just can't see this being an issue. On top of that, I don't think we really need the increase in overhead before we even get this thing off the ground.

So, that is my question: Is it feasible/reasonable/realistic to be thinking about liability insurance this early in the game?

Thanks in advance. This place has helped me a lot so far, and I'm hoping to take it to the next level by contributing in this community.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

5hpstickers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 12, 2012
New York
Honestly, it seems like a little much to me. I mean, we haven't even sold anything yet... we aren't even certain that it will sell, let alone enough to cover the cost of an insurance premium. Besides; theoretically, anything could cause injury if you try hard enough. Using that logic, shouldn't all ebay sellers should be insured? I'm pretty sure that they are not. Also; if I sold somebody a letter opener, and their kid manages to poke his eye out with it (or whatever), could I, as the seller, really be held liable for it? I just can't see this being an issue. On top of that, I don't think we really need the increase in overhead before we even get this thing off the ground.

I have this same concern with the product I want to begin selling because it is a toy that people of various ages will use and it can be dangerous. This is the exact reason I have not started selling yet eventhough I get many requests for the product

PlatinumCat

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 29, 2013
I have this same concern with the product I want to begin selling

Have you done any shopping around for quotes? I haven't looked too far into it yet, because the concern was just brought up yesterday, but for all I know, it may be quite affordable. As long as I can offset the cost each month with the profits from 2 or 3 units, it may be worth pursuing.

Actually, I just went and looked around online, and it does look very doable. I'm sure it mostly depends on what you are selling and how you are selling it, but everything that I've seen seems to point to it being relatively inexpensive (especially when compared next to something like health insurance or car insurance). I guess I won't actually know until I get around to getting quotes.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I had the same sort of thing. I've let my friend who is a lawyer advise me that a proper user manual and good "terms and conditions" will exclude pretty much all liability you can possibly exclude.
So i'm going this way until revenue is high enough to warrant an limited liability company like an Ltd.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.