The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Let's Talk About Wholesaling through Distributors

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States
So, I'm working on my pitch for distributors, and before I reach out to anyone, I'm trying to wrap my head around pricing. I'll round the numbers to keep it simple.

My current per-unit set-up, with no distributor
  • COGS - $5
  • Wholesale - $10
  • Retail - $20

If I add a distributor in the mix, should I try to keep the retail store at keystone pricing, and split the $5 profit with the distributor, so they are earning 25% of retail price?

So like this:
  • COGS - $5
  • Distributor buys at - $7.50
  • Wholesale buys at - $10
  • Retail Customer buys at - $20

My average wholesale order is $300. So on a typical order, this would yield these profits:
  • Me - $75
  • Distributor - $75
  • Store - $150

50% of stores choose to re-order, and do so about every 3 months. These accounts would be $25/mo profit for me and the distributor.

So questions:
  • Does that pricing make sense? Would that be a good deal for the distributor?
  • Would it be worth increasing the stores' buy price to beef up my and/or the distributors profit?
  • Are distributors going to want more than 25%?
  • What are your current pricing arrangements, and what else have other distributors you've talked to asked for?

Any other tips or experience the forum can share about working with distributors?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

SYK

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Mar 24, 2014
Where'd you land with this, man? It's been 8 months (this is most recent thread that came up for the search 'distributor!) so I'm guessing you figured something out.

I'm in a similar place that you were. Getting lots of distributor requests, just trying to figure out the best way to play it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Advanced Upwork Proposals II IS FINALLY LIVE! Here's a look at what's inside: Improved YOU...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock