The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's go

goodwood

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 27, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Hi all!

Just finished TMF and starting Unscripted tonight. I have to say it was not what I expected.

My story:
36 years old and married. Worked in education (running the tech department) while my wife (33) worked as a nurse. We both have advanced degrees and paid off all our debt via disciplined spending and saving.

After a sudden death in our close family, and a very near death in our immediate family, we decided to quit our jobs in the summer of 2016 and take a mini-retirement. We did not have any debt, mortgage (renting), kids, pets, or even plants that we were responsible for, so we sold most of our "stuff" and hit the road in our Subaru.

One month in Europe, two months volunteering in Nicaragua, 10 months in Colorado, hiked the Appalachian Trail, then went to South America. While we were planning on being in South America for a while, another family death brought us back home early.

Our future:
We may never have kids and we may never own a house. We might live overseas and return home often, or we might buy a sprinter van to convert and live the #vanlife. We had hoped that during all our travels we would have a clearer understanding of our purpose, and while we learned an incredible amount about ourselves, we still came back with more questions than answers. Although one thing is for certain - we never want to lose the independence and freedom that we have now grown accustomed to.

Finances:
Worth noting that we have a low six-figure retirement savings (would have been more but again we paid off all our debt) and a low five-figure cash savings that could easily support us for another year if needed.

Moving forward:
We have no desire to go back to our old way of living. I didn't have a word for it at the time, but looking back now we were most definitely in the slowlane. While we were very comfortable and enjoyed our jobs, when we were faced with a choice of moving up in our careers and living in the suburbs or quitting our jobs for an uncertain future full of adventure we whole-heartedly chose the latter.

The goal is now deliberate action. I've helped with entrepreneurial ventures in the past and am no stranger to hard working process. Admittedly, my biggest issue is indecisiveness. I've always been a jack of all trades master of none with a dreadful imposter syndrome. Time to change that. Time to look for opportunities that satisfy CENTS where I can make an impact.

Thanks for reading. See you all around.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Welcome and thanks for a very interesting first post.

It appears that you have found "mini-retirement" enjoyable but not fulfilling. What you have experienced at an early age seems similar to what many much older people discover about retirement.

Research reveals that for many it shortens their remaining life.

I was obliged to retire from business due to health problems, but I simply could not become what is known in some places as a "gray nomad", living a lifestyle similar to what you have described.

Since writing the first edition of my importing book 14 years ago, I have been taking it easy in my old age, but I am having the time of my life helping people.

I wish you all the best in finding something that won't prevent you enjoying your mini-retirement, but nonetheless fulfilling.

Walter

goodwood

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 27, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

It appears that you have found "mini-retirement" enjoyable but not fulfilling

You seem to have nailed it there. It has been an amazing two years with zero regrets and we constantly remind ourselves how hard we worked to get to this point, but something is definitely still lacking.

I'm still searching for something fulfilling. I now have the time and space to create something. Looking forward to the process.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome! Definitely sounds like you've dabbled the Unscripted life. And you've got a great headstart to making it more permanent.

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Hope to see ya around more.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

You seem to have nailed it there. It has been an amazing two years with zero regrets and we constantly remind ourselves how hard we worked to get to this point, but something is definitely still lacking.

I'm still searching for something fulfilling. I now have the time and space to create something. Looking forward to the process.
I remember reading Milk The Pigeon: A Field Guide To People Lost In Their 20's by Alexander Haynes. The author quit his job and moved to China for a year or two. He learned Gung Fu(Kung Fu; same thing). He thought it was what he wanted but decided to come back to the states. He lived with his parents for a 2 years before starting a self-help blog and getting into Chinese Medicine. After he's travelled all over the world.

He found there's all these nomads that are doing "cool shit" but they're still very unfulfilled in their lives. His hypothesis is that purpose is the key to happiness. You can do all the "cool shit" that you want but if you don't have a purpose you're just a "mindless wanderer"

Man's Search For Meaning is another fantastic book about a guy who went through the Holocaust but found meaning in it.

goodwood

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 27, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
@MJ DeMarco Thanks for the welcome and for creating this space. Most of all, thanks for the books. There is so much in there I didn't expect. I think it boils down to most books in this genre are more theoretical and what your book preaches is purposeful action directed in a way to create value, and it actually illustrates the methodology in how to do so. After reading so many books this one really was a gut-check.

@The Abundant Man That is an absolutely perfect reference. My wife and I have talked at length about how we could drop everything, start an xyz e-commerce site and move to Thailand, but for what? If there is one thing I know about myself it is that I can't sell it if I don't buy it. I've been looking in the wrong direction - I need to find something where I can personally add value. I'll check out the books once I'm finished Unscripted (which will be this week for sure).

goodwood

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Nov 27, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks @lowtek

Still poking around the forum reading all of the many amazing posts and stories here. Working hard to start a story of mine own over here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...