The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's go back to school! (sort of)

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Can we come up with a "fantasy school week" for busy Unscripted Fastlaners? I think it would be great to structure the way we educate ourselves. Not only on business and money, but on everything that our "educational" system failed to teach us.
  • Which topics would we study?
  • How much time per day should we do it?
  • What educational material would be the most optimal
  • so on so forth
If you're like me, you kinda have an idea of important topics you should study to become, smarter, better, faster and happier, but it's very disorganized.

As starting point;

Topics
  • Entrepreneurship (of course)
  • Industry specific knowledge (sales, coding, speaking, etc.)
  • History/politics
  • Philosophy/spirituality
  • Health/fitness
Time
  • Car
  • Toilet
  • Bed
  • Break
  • Gym
  • Home
  • Work
  • 30m, 1h, 2h???
Material
  • Audios (audible, mp3's, CD's, etc.)
  • Videos (YT, DVD's, other...)
  • Books
  • Seminars
  • Mentoring
  • Group discussions
  • Personal reflection
These are just suggestions. I think many of us could appreciate to have some kind of "learning routine".. some kind of system to optimize education. A system that works with our adult lifestyle.

Discussion is open!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) I recommend anything relating to ancient history. Evidence leads to believe that our ancient ancestors were far smarter than history proclaims. Unfortunately such evidence is usually sequestered because it doesn't fall into widely accepted narratives.

2) Astronomy

3) Quantum Physics.

4) Communication in any form; writing, speaking, designing....

sthubbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2015
1) I recommend anything relating to ancient history. Evidence leads to believe that our ancient ancestors were far smarter than history proclaims. Unfortunately such evidence is usually sequestered because it doesn't fall into widely accepted narratives.

2) Astronomy

3) Quantum Physics.

MJ, I understand #1 and #4. How do #2 and #3 relate to joining the fastlane?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
MJ, I understand #1 and #4. How do #2 and #3 relate to joining the fastlane?
Not MJ, but here's my take.

Studying these will force you to contemplate the nature of the universe and show you how as much as we think we know, we really know F*ck all about anything. If not that, it's just really cool.

Also, if you only seek knowledge based on how you think it will benefit you in the fastlane, you haven't broken free from the script, you've just found a new one.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV

2) Astronomy

3) Quantum Physics.

Unexpected, but very interesting reply. I've had a hard time finding relevant material on these topics using "conventional" media. Probably for the reason you mentioned. I remember digging YouTube for hours in hope to find ancient history material and ended up being fed alien conspiracy theory and katy perry videos.

May I ask which media outlet you use to get quality information on the topics you mentioned. Books only?

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

The double slit experiment gave me the chills the first time I watched it. I think I read more recently(a year ago or so) that the camera recording the experiment affects the field perhaps.

Got me thinking about Simulation Theory as well.

How do you guys feel about the root of existence, how we can date every piece of material we come across but the origin is the chicken vs the egg thing? Stephen Hawkins take on spontaneous creation always made the most sense to me. Still insane to think about though. How we got here, how lucky we are to live in this moment in time. etc etc.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

If you want to find out more about this history of mankind and how we became what we are, I heavily recommend this book:

20839196.jpg

His other book Homo Deus gives great insights as well about where we are going to (like algorithms literately taking over our lives). Some people may not like what they read though.

Some quotes:

“How many young college graduates have taken demanding jobs in high-powered firms, vowing that they will work hard to earn money that will enable them to retire and pursue their real interests when they are thirty-five? But by the time they reach that age, they have large mortgages, children to school, houses in the suburbs that necessitate at least two cars per family, and a sense that life is not worth living without really good wine and expensive holidays abroad. What are they supposed to do, go back to digging up roots? No, they double their efforts and keep slaving away.”

“Every day millions of people decide to grant their smartphone a bit more control over their lives or try a new and more effective antidepressant drug. In pursuit of health, happiness and power, humans will gradually change first one of their features and then another, and another, until they will no longer be human.”

Last edited:

carlos_

Not at the table Carlos
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
464%
Aug 18, 2017
Orange County, CA
Recommendations:
  • Natural history - David Attenborough's FIRST LIFE documentary series is really good
  • Physics/Astronomy - PBS Spacetime YouTube channel is the best I've seen that can effectively communicate the weird weird world of both quantum and universe scale events. They have some pretty good videos on quantum entanglement
  • Genetics - The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
Root of existence? I'm very curious to know. Currently I just keep my ears open for what science has to say while generally reverting to the belief that regardless of what's true, I know for sure that we make our own meaning through choices
Quantum entanglement is a trip though - think about the applications: instant communication across perhaps the whole universe! that will come in handy for space travel. currently, each piece of data sent between NASA and the Mars Rover takes up to 22 minutes

Regarding how I learn - books and documentaries. I'm experimenting with lynda.com and it's so far very beneficial for introductory courses (i.e. you've never opened MS Access in your life and you want to know how to build a database, and how relational databases work) but sometimes the basic tutorials don't translate well to a comfortable skill. you really just have to have a problem and research the solution.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
If there is one thing wrong with
today's education system, it's this:

It "teaches" you what to think, not how to think.

So my vote goes for practical psychology, or:

'How to use that darn thang between your ears'

- quite useful for sales & marketing, but also everyday life

A good place to start is Dr. Jordan B. Peterson's youtube channel:

Jordan B Peterson

His Maps of Meaning & Personality and it's Transformations lectures are golden nugget galore,
and he also covers quite a bit philosophy & spirituality without making it a woo-woo shit show.

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
These are just suggestions. I think many of us could appreciate to have some kind of "learning routine".. some kind of system to optimize education. A system that works with our adult lifestyle.

I thought a bit about a system that would work for me (learning and reading next to work) So this is a system for learning/reading only. This isn't a action taking system. When I've learnt some things I think I need to learn some blocks could be replaced with action taking. Or execution of the knowledge gained.

a rough sketch I did on my lunch break. Just as an example.

Categories:
1: Business / Fastlane
2: Soft skills and personal Growth
3: Hard Skills (software knowledge, or coding)

Medium (what I use to learn)
1: reading/ listening (audible)
2: (online) video courses and moocs

1: Reading
Unscripted : category 1

future reading:
one simple idea: category 1
The Giant Within: category 2
Getting Things done: category 2

2: (online) video courses and moocs
NLP : category 2
Excel : category 1/3 (a marketing focused excel course perhaps? just to show overlap is possible)
Graphic/website Design : category 3

future courses:
SEO: category 1
Public speaking: category 2

timesheet example: (after work)
mondays: category 1 learning
tuesday: reading
wednesday: category 2 learning
thursday: reading
friday: category 3 learning
saturday: reading
Sunday: course homework / applying of knowledge to gain deeper understanding.

-> repeat next weeks: habit is built?

the only thing what you might add (except for a nice excel sheet to organize your plans) is goal setting. Why do you want to learn/read it. what do you think it will bring you and how are you going to use that knowledge and when.

when could be if you assemble a block of courses/readings for web design and you give yourself 3 months to complete it. And put that knowledge to practice and implement that in your site or build one.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Evidence leads to believe that our ancient ancestors were far smarter than history proclaims.

^^^This. I've argued it till blue in the face on a couple of occasions.

Audible is my best recent educational investment. Not only do I learn something, but it's turned the most frustrating, wasted part of my day into something enjoyable. Sometimes I sit in the car outside my house for a few extra minutes because I'm so engrossed in a good book.

Jonathan C

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 3, 2017
United States
Plato is supposed to teach a person how to think instead of what to think. Consider reading Plato.

There is a good dialogue called the Alcibiades. In it, Socrates confronts a young man named Alcibiades who wants to go into politics. After Socrates begins questioning Alcibiades, Alcibiades soon realizes that he doesn't know anything about politics and that he not qualified to run for office.

You can find some of the dialogues for free online since they are classics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0872203492/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'm no expert. But I can tell you what I educate myself on:
  • Foreign languages. This is more a passion for me. I'm studying my 4th language, Chinese, right now.
  • The spiritual. For religious Fastlaners, study what you can to get deeper in touch with God.
  • Autobiographies of Fastlaners. I do this sparingly, but I'm currently reading Robert Herjavec's book.
  • Business related topics. Psychology and sales, mainly right now.
  • Some, but not much, politics.
Keep in mind: this is all SPARE TIME stuff. Weekend and evening type stuff. I've got work to do and so do you. Keep consumption low.

Science interests me, as well. I have yet to delve deep into it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.