The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's Build a Spec House!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Thanks @Striver . I do need to shorten the build time. My houses are all on pilings so it takes a little longer but I would love to see 7-8 month builds. I will take your advice and see what I can do! Thanks again!
Half the time time is twice the profit.
Third less time is 33% more profit.

Just saying!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I have a question -- where do you live now?

Rather than building spec houses, with all of the bear traps in the real estate market, I would consider another plan IF I was in your shoes...

With the current tax laws that allow one to pay NO taxes on a large amount of the profits from an owner occupied SFH (single family home) when sold -- why not find a situation where you can buy the right property well, live there during that prescribed holding period, max out the market value through sweat equity, and then sell -- all to do it all over again with the next house.

OR -- rehab or build one small-unit building (2 to 4 units). Rent out the extra units and live in one, while you rehab or build the next small-unit building -- that you move to when you get that first unit ready for occupancy. By living there, and the fact that it is under the commercial lending threshold, the project qualifies for regular owner financing. That will limit your financial exposure and give you help with the mortgage nut.

My mentor, Alice, taught me to start out live in my smallest property and rent out the rest of my properties so they can pay for themselves, and be a step up to more assets. I have learned over these last 41 years that Alice was right. She also taught me to do what I have to do, to get the properties ready to sell or rent. My path hasn't been flashy or sexy. Real estate is a game of LOTS of hard work (sweat equity), patience and good chess moves. I'm not too good to do any "dirty work". My Juris Doctor degree doesn't exempt me from picking up trash, pulling weeds, mowing lawns, washing & painting walls, cleaning toilets and anything else -- when it needs to be done. Getting dirty, by doing my part, is my badge of honor.

This is just my humble opinion of your plan. You may be really successful on OPM (others people's money), but this is my 6th business cycle since I started my real estate career, and I've seen a lot of people go deeply in debit, rise quickly and then crash in flames...

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
With all due respect, your advice in this thread is nothing but negative. I find it hard to believe your "real estate coaching" will be successful if you continue to offer your cynicism with no constructive advice. I politely ask that you refrain from posting on this thread anymore.

What was negative about that? I thought it was very constructive.

His post was skeptical as what you're saying didn't gel with his previous experience. I think calling it cynical is a stretch though.

I'd also be curious to how you handled the taxes + insurance and how that played into the employee cost as well, and if it was actually cheaper after taking this into account.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks. I've been playing Monopoly with real money for about 40 years, as part of my real estate career. (And I have a whole list of licenses, degrees, credentials and experiences.) So, the guy didn't like my comments. Sorry about that. I was trying to tell him about reducing his risk factors. I take calculated risks all the time and I spend a lot of time upping my odds. His plan sounds to me like jumping off of a cliff.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I have a question -- where do you live now?

Thanks for all the ideas @WJK ! I've owned my current single family house for 1.5 years now. The plan was to flip it at year #2. This will be my third flip to capitalize on the tax loophole. I planned on buying another single family but the multi-unit idea is intriguing. I have a piece of land zoned for multi-family that might work...now to convince the family!

His post was skeptical as what you're saying didn't gel with his previous experience. I think calling it cynical is a stretch though.

That's a fair observation. If you read the last five pages I've been told I'm "over my head", building sub-optimally, doing everything wrong...and it gets old. I spent the last 4 years getting rid of negative people in my life. I'd prefer not to have negativity creep in my forum-life as well.

I'll tag @JScott here and welcome him back (if he chooses) but the skepticism and/or negativity can't be in every post.

I'd also be curious to how you handled the taxes + insurance and how that played into the employee cost as well, and if it was actually cheaper after taking this into account.

So there are a few things at play here. I am building more now so I needed a part time project manager/ part time laborer. I found a person that is very good at both. I will transition him out of labor as we grow. At the same time, we have a huge shortage of painters and trim carpenters in my area. IF you can find one, they are twice as expensive as 2 years ago. So with all the taxes, insurance etc. I'm saving close to $9k per job.

His plan sounds to me like jumping off of a cliff.

I think I did a good job mitigating risk. The market research, the skill-sets, back up plans etc. What scares you?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I think I did a good job mitigating risk. The market research, the skill-sets, back up plans etc. What scares you?[/QUOTE]

The first thing that scares me is the OPM (other people's money). By bring in investors, you loose control of the project. It's like inviting a 600 lb gorilla to the party and expecting him to behavior while you serve the cake. I've seen too many project go south while the investors walk away with the project and the borrower is let sitting on the curb with cake smeared all over his face. It's a total control issue...

My second concern is IF your plans are within your personal skill set. Real estate deals and projects are a series of road blocks, and people in power saying no -- usually on a daily, or more, often basis. It's a learning curve that has to be honored. If you haven't been there and done this before, the odds are against you. I like to limit my exposure by starting small when taking new directions, and then dove-tailing on skills that I already have. I try to find things similar to my past successes and put a new twist on them.

And those two concerns are just for starters. There are several major ruts and stumbling blocks in the road you are planning to take. But, what I know after 40+ years...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks for all the ideas @WJK ! I've owned my current single family house for 1.5 years now. The plan was to flip it at year #2. This will be my third flip to capitalize on the tax loophole. I planned on buying another single family but the multi-unit idea is intriguing. I have a piece of land zoned for multi-family that might work...now to convince the family!

You're smart to use that tax loop hole to your advantage. Hopefully, with each flip, you are getting rid of your mortgage nut. By now, or soon, you should be mortgage free. And that gives you leverage to step up to better performing investments.

Check with your accountant as far as that SFR (single family residential) tax loop hole concerning the multi-unit idea -- proportional parts of the profits, upon selling, are treated differently since you will own income units with the associated depreciation. (But, that depreciation from the rentals can really change your Federal tax picture.) I would stick with 2 to 4 units, due to the mortgage market -- it will keep you out of the commercial lending market, especially when you are ready to sell. The residential lending market is much broader and forgiving.

I mentored a young man for a few years, who did the small unit plan a few times. He's retired in Florida playing with his kids and doing the small unit plan again there.

Good luck!

Johnny Le

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 12, 2016
Thank you for continually updating this progress thread! I look forward to see how far you can go!

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Updates please!!! :)
As requested, ha!

I was given the opportunity to speak at the Summit this year about the spec home business. I ran through the creation of the business (and many other not so great companies I started) and I think the group liked it. I really enjoyed showing what it took to get this business "right". Funny thing is, I think I learned more and left more inspired than anyone!

When I got back I pushed hard to get another house on the market. It was close already but needed a final push. We listed it Saturday and it sold in 12 hours! Talk about catering to a raving MARKET :)

I sent an e-mail out to my current investors and a few potential investors telling them I am ramping up production dramatically this year (thanks to the renewed energy from the Summit). If all goes well, I will have a total of 7 houses under construction in a few months.

Another interesting thing I find is that once you start stirring the MARKET good, other opportunities start springing up. I have almost daily requests for me to build houses/additions/etc. I haven't taken any due to the possibility of it breaking the TIME commandment....but it's there if I want it. I also get calls from sellers that know I buy land. That is nice because it takes some legwork out of the process for me....which also leads to better deals.

I passed my contractor exams so I've added a good bit of CONTROL back to the company. It will add a little to the bottom line also.

I'm still looking for the right multi-family situation to come around. The thought process is that it really doesn't take that much more effort to build 3 units than it does for 1. The profit however would be a good bit greater.

So, I'm really happy with this business right now. I have lots of time to do whatever I want. So far I have just ramped up my family and philanthropy time. I'll have to find something selfish to pursue at some point, ha!

As always ask anything you like!

Johnny Le

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 12, 2016
I'm glad you're going harder than before! 7 houses going at one time?! Quite inspiring!!

I'm in the process of working towards my contractors license as well. Funny you mentioned the multi-family space, as that's my plan for my first project. Currently planning and shooting to break ground in June/July of this year!

Keep on rocking!

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Absolutely fascinating thread. Congrats on the quality and success you're enjoying!

As a real estate agent, I have a basic question for you GR, which I hope you can shed some light on. It's basic for you, but it isn't for me.

I always wanted to work with builders. It seems some builders have their properties listed by one particular agent. As a builder, what would it take from me, an agent, to get you fired up and have me be your exclusive listing agent?

Another question - I would be open to having an office in the builders office, which is their model home usually. My role would be to assist the builder's customers that need to sell their existing homes but don't know who to work with.

I can visualize both of these roles being combined into a discounted package of some sort to the builder. It could certainly be a win win for everyone.

Here is what I bring to the table. Full time appraiser for 18 years. Agent for 9 years. I live and breathe real estate. My knowledge level is close to a 10. My sales ability is maybe 8 or higher (10 in some areas). My partner is my wife. I'm a no BS, very detail and fact orientated, kind of guy. Approaching 60 - which means I'm not mistaken for a hunky movie star jock type of guy...

Any insight to these ideas would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Denver, CO area, which is a hot market, and the builders here are, for the most part, very quality and high end orientated.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I always wanted to work with builders. It seems some builders have their properties listed by one particular agent. As a builder, what would it take from me, an agent, to get you fired up and have me be your exclusive listing agent?

I'm pretty easy. If a realtor brings me a buyer, they get the next listing. Maybe go in with that "deal" and see where the relationship goes. I would recommend smaller builders too. The large ones try their best to sell them in-house.

I form most of my relationships outside of work. Philanthropies, church functions, parties etc. The more I "do" the more contacts I make and things fall in my lap.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm pretty easy. If a realtor brings me a buyer, they get the next listing. Maybe go in with that "deal" and see where the relationship goes. I would recommend smaller builders too. The large ones try their best to sell them in-house.

I form most of my relationships outside of work. Philanthropies, church functions, parties etc. The more I "do" the more contacts I make and things fall in my lap.

Thanks for the great answers.

Yes, the big builders go to great lengths to keep everything in house. Their own sales teams that are top notch - but very limited in what they do. They only know their products.

Do you think having me in the office to help the buyers needing to sell their own homes would be an added bonus in *your* market appeal? Or do most buyers have that wrapped up by the time they talk to you?

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Thanks for the great answers.

Yes, the big builders go to great lengths to keep everything in house. Their own sales teams that are top notch - but very limited in what they do. They only know their products.

Do you think having me in the office to help the buyers needing to sell their own homes would be an added bonus in *your* market appeal? Or do most buyers have that wrapped up by the time they talk to you?
I think you would have to test this to get an accurate answer. Maybe find a builder that will let you try it on one. If it works, I see a nice business model that you could wrap around this. Good luck!

StompingAcorns

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Dec 11, 2015
Southeastern U.S.
When I got back I pushed hard to get another house on the market. It was close already but needed a final push. We listed it Saturday and it sold in 12 hours! Talk about catering to a raving MARKET :)
Congratulations!!!! Your presentation was awesome, and it was great getting to know you and the "Get Right" story as well. Loved your approach of analyzing the market first - what a concept, yeah? lol You've worked so hard - well done!! And so many other good things coming from this. I'm very happy for you.

greenGabbard

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Oct 13, 2017
Fresno, Ca
I must say this progress thread has me really pumped about getting into this real estate deeper. I have a couple questions for you sir.

What/where would you advise I can learn more about how to go about this particular build model?

I have already bought my plots, app. 10, and am looking to build on these lots as well.

I have a friend that is an architect. Another is a master carpenter. What other skilled person might I need to find in my network?

Are your lots/plats ideally the same size lots to minimize the amount of redesign/scale?

Thank you for this great progress thread and being very active and detailed throughout the whole adventure.

Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I learned something yesterday. My view of my spec home business might not be what someone else's view of my business is.

I pitched a new investor last week that wants to work with me. I sent him a deal to build some spec homes. Well...I talked with him yesterday and he seamed underwhelmed. After a little prodding I asked him what he expected/wanted to see versus what I presented. He politely told me I didn't ask for enough! He said "Go back and rework this. You aren't thinking big enough. What are we going to take nationwide?". Wow.

I haven't even fully digested this conversation yet, but it seams interesting that people view things (like scale) very differently. My plan never had a nationwide component...not even my big hairy goal thought anywhere near that size.

Who knows where this deal will take me, if anywhere. But as a reminder - don't be afraid to think big, really big.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
What/where would you advise I can learn more about how to go about this particular build model?

This is a hard one. I've worked in this industry for 20 years so my only suggestion would be to hang around as many developers/real estate agents/contractor types as you can.

What other skilled person might I need to find in my network?

Picking your general contractor is going to be the single biggest decision you will make. I would put 90% of my time in this.

Are your lots/plats ideally the same size lots to minimize the amount of redesign/scale?

Absolutely.

And here is a bonus picture from one of my new jobs. Three stories on this one!

20180814_144955.jpg

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
October update: The spec business continues to do well and the market remains strong. I'm hedging a little for the anticipated weakness in 2019. I'm pulling this hedge off by pre-selling a few builds (something I prefer not to do). It shifts the risk to the owner(s) and has a nice side effect of limiting my borrowing needs. Here is the current mix:

0 inventory (all finished houses sold)
1 spec house (framing now, picture below)
4 pre-sold houses (various stages mostly infancy)
5 projects in drawing stage (will convert to pre-sold when cash is in hand)
1 lot under contract (sold it to a potential long term customer)
12 or so proposals waiting for go/no-go

20181002_163042.jpg
20181002_163042.jpg

If you attended the 2018 summit you know my goal was to have 10 houses under construction in 2019. It looks pretty certain I will hit those numbers. I revised my 2020-2023 goals accordingly.

A few challenges in front of me:

1. I need a right hand employee. I am searching but the right person hasn't come into the picture yet.
2. Scheduling. With 10 or so projects going it gets a little hectic scheduling all the things that need to happen. I purchased some builder software and it is helping big time.
3. I'm running out of land and inadvertently drove the price up on myself. Raising prices is difficult due to the archaic appraisal system....so I need to figure something out.

So, things are going well. I feel pretty safe with my strategy/risk and the upside continues to be good. As always, just ask if you have any questions.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I'm pulling this hedge off by pre-selling a few builds (something I prefer not to do).

Love the progress! Nice to see the summit plan being fulfilled, and then some!

Pre-orders are a fickle bitch.

They're great for everyone when everything goes as planned (or mostly so).

It's uncomfortable, stressful, and disappointing for everyone when things don't go so well. (Dealing with this now).

It helps to manage the expectations with longer timelines, with lots of wiggle room. Some margin for error.

As bad as it can be when things don't go right... I'd still rather have sales and no inventory, than inventory and no sales.

Blair

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 4, 2014
New Zealand
good update, enjoy watching your progress. Do you let your clients make changes? I presell everything and lock down the specification. When you buy an iphone you cant make changes so why should housing be any different. Frees up massive time, makes job management easier and means all the contractors get into a good pattern from job to job.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
good update, enjoy watching your progress. Do you let your clients make changes? I presell everything and lock down the specification. When you buy an iphone you cant make changes so why should housing be any different. Frees up massive time, makes job management easier and means all the contractors get into a good pattern from job to job.

Thanks! I don't let clients make changes on the spec houses until it is sold and paid in full. After that, I happily work on them for a fee.

My pre-sales are a little harder. I let them make minor changes that don't affect the price or quality. If they insist, I make them pay cash in advance.

My custom builds are the tough ones. I'm pretty much married to the client so I charge my highest rate and bite my tongue alot! The profit is great so it frees up cash for my main business building specs.

You are absolutely correct about time savings and management. For me, this is the fastlane portion of the equation. My crew needs no input from me on our "standard" model(s).

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I just broke ground on my first spec!

Congrats! Keep notes on everything. I still use notes from years ago. It will make you money.

UPDATE: As requested

The spec home business continues to do well. It is growing nicely into the 10 house/year target I set for 2019. I have 6 under construction and a few more proposals out. All are sold with 1 exception (not on the market yet).

I hired 2 project managers and soliciting for another Architect.

I bought some new equipment to make life easier. I'm using the same method where I bill it out higher than my financing note. So each piece makes me money every month...with no effort on my part.

I have a few challenges ahead. Cash flow is becoming more interesting due to the high dollar figures. I'm also spending a little more time on the company than planned. I think the new Architect position will resolve a lot of that.

The business remains a heck of a lot of fun. The rough patches are easier to glide through thanks to my work on the comfort zone (see thread in signature). The high points come mostly from random compliments about our work. I especially like the ones that say I am dramatically improving their neighborhood. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

As always, ask anything you like!

Johnny Le

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 12, 2016
Awesome! Right on track for your goal. I'll be following along your new thread as well. Thanks for recommending that PM software, it really is making my life a lot easier. I do have a few questions for you.

Are your profit margins increasing with each spec?
With 2 project managers, how many hours are you putting in a week now? At what point did you feel the need to hire one?
Would you have any building tips/tricks to keep the build cost low?
Are you using the PM software's templates, or have you built a custom setup?

Pictures please! :clench:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Are your profit margins increasing with each spec?
With 2 project managers, how many hours are you putting in a week now? At what point did you feel the need to hire one?
Would you have any building tips/tricks to keep the build cost low?
Are you using the PM software's templates, or have you built a custom setup?

Yes, margins are increasing. My first house was 7%, the last one was 13%. I'm still trying to hit that magic 20% but it is hard.

I still work 60+ hours but it's fun so I don't mind for now. I hired my first PM when I started missing things I normally catch.

Owning your own equipment is a big money saver/maker for me.

I made a template based off a previous job. I tweak it each project and that becomes the new template.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.