The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building my first spec house!!

Outdoorlife2005

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 10, 2020
Illinois
It has been a long time coming. I have wanted to get into flipping houses and building houses since I was a little kid. I read MJ's books a few years ago now and they really woke me up. I helped an Invester from the age 14-19. He flipped houses, built apartment complexes etc....so that's where me wanting to do all of this comes from.

Rather than flip houses I'm going straight to building a new home from the ground up. I am beyond nervous. But unless you take a chance you'll never know.
Some basics on the home. It will be a single-story ranch with a full semi-finished basement. 9' walls. Laminate flooring in main areas with carpet in the bedrooms. 4 bedroom, 2 full baths, and the basement will have a full bath roughed in as well as a wet bar rough in. 1 egress window in the basement for a future bedroom. I will be framing in the future bedroom, but not finishing it.

Vinyl siding with partial stone across the front. Oversized 3 car garage. 2182 square foot total.

It appraised for $519,000. I will be listing for $495,900.
The lot was $65,000. But prices change and things change. It could end up costing me over 400K to build. There's just so many variables.

I'm building in a brand-new subdivision. Of course, the subdivision is surrounded by other subdivisions that are full of homes. There's one home that's already built and sold. It sold for $440,000. It is about 900 square foot smaller.
There's another one that's almost finished. It is still for sale. That guy started his build 6 months ago. They are just waiting for a few odds and ends.

What makes me nervous is his hasn't sold yet for the $495,900 price. It is basically the same house I'm building. Just different colors etc....He initially listed his for $505,000.

There are comps in the area that justify the 495-500K.

I plan to do some of the work myself. I plan to prime the whole house and then have a painter come in and paint. I will prime/paint the garage myself.

I will do some of the flooring myself, set the cabinets myself, and do some other odds and ends. So the price to build will be cut down a little....I hope.

The bank set me in at 7.1% interest (construction loan short term)

This will be a side hustle for me (I ended up getting my real estate license last year) because I was dead set on flipping/building homes. I want to save a little $ by not having to pay an agent over 25K in commission for a project like this. I'll be offering a 3% commission for an agent to bring me a buyer for this build. At the end of the day, it will probably take about 5-6 months to build it start to finish. I hope it is sold before its done. That's of course the goal. Worse case if it is done/sold within 8-9 months and I profit 15-20K I'll be happy with my first big project.

I will post pictures as the build comes along. The basement will be getting dug next week.

To the ones who build/have built spec homes I'd love to hear your stories and advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
It could end up costing me over 400K to build. There's just so many variables.

The bank set me in at 7.1% interest (construction loan short term)

Deleted due to mis information by OP!

Last edited:

Outdoorlife2005

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 10, 2020
Illinois
Personal opinion: the timeline, risk, & work involved here does not seem worth your predicted $15k-$20k personally. You could literally work a part time job at walmart for the same amount of cash over this time frame with basically 0 risk/cost.

Well, the goal is to make money while I’m making money.

I work a full time job with a little overtime I make 110k a year. Not including commissions I make for selling people’s homes. The only work I’ll be doing on the spec home is some paint, hang cabinets etc…less than 80 hours.

I’ll oversee the project but it’s right down the road from my house. Needless to say if I can make 15-20k in 9 months with less than 400 hours
Lot Cost = $65,000
Build cost = $400,000
10% Variables cost = $40,000
7.1 % interest on 400k = $28,400
------------------
Net Cost =$533,400
------------------

Expected Listing Price = $495000

Duration = 12 months approx!

Monthly Profit = (Expected Listing Price - Total Cost)/12 = (495000-533400)/12 = (Minus) - 38400/12 = Loss of $3200 per month!

Please rectify me! <<---- because I feel something is off which I did not understand, English being my second language!

I didn’t borrow 400k.

For all the quotes I received i should be able to build for around 375k. I borrowed 385k to be safe.
The bank won’t charge me interest on the unused funds at the end of the project.

I’ll be doing some of the work myself, which should save me $8-10k.

I should only have around $365k in the build IF all goes well.

I was figuring worse case scenario stuff goes south and stuck putting $400,000 in the build.

I hope that isn’t the case. But I’m a worse case scenario guy. Keep in mind this is my first giant project. My numbers could be off. Thankfully a local builder is guiding me every step of the way on this first build.

He keeps saying I’ll see a large profit. We shall see. I made this thread to document everything so others can see what it’s like doing something like this.

Outdoorlife2005

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 10, 2020
Illinois
Personal opinion: the timeline, risk, & work involved here does not seem worth your predicted $15k-$20k personally. You could literally work a part time job at walmart for the same amount of cash over this time frame with basically 0 risk/cost.
The 15-20k is very low. I’m looking at it as worse case scenario.

The goal is to make money while making money. Getting into home building is 100% a side hustle. 90% of the work will be hired out. If this goes well I’ll hire out 100% of the work on the next one. A local builder is mentoring me through this build. On his worse specs he profits 30k he said. Start to final sell is typically 7-9 months for him. He’s and some well within the first month of building.

I work 45 hours a week full time. Before taxes I make approximately 110,000 a year. That doesn’t include what I make selling homes for other people.
Worse case I only make 15-20k on my first one. This build is 5 minutes from my house. I’ll swing by once a day to make sure the subs are doing as planned. I won’t have to babysit them full time by any means. They are some of the most used contractors in my area. Very reliable.

I will try again and fix mistakes in order to hit that 30-40k profit on the next one if this one goes south.

I just want to document this process to share with others incase they’ve ever thought about doing it.

As numbers come in I’ll break everything down into more details!

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
This is a great post on x about housing that I think is relevant here.https://twitter.com/spencertbarber/status/1769124712867840293

Well, the goal is to make money while I’m making money.

I work a full time job with a little overtime I make 110k a year. Not including commissions I make for selling people’s homes. The only work I’ll be doing on the spec home is some paint, hang cabinets etc…less than 80 hours.

I’ll oversee the project but it’s right down the road from my house. Needless to say if I can make 15-20k in 9 months with less than 400 hours

I didn’t borrow 400k.

For all the quotes I received i should be able to build for around 375k. I borrowed 385k to be safe.
The bank won’t charge me interest on the unused funds at the end of the project.

I’ll be doing some of the work myself, which should save me $8-10k.

I should only have around $365k in the build IF all goes well.

I was figuring worse case scenario stuff goes south and stuck putting $400,000 in the build.

I hope that isn’t the case. But I’m a worse case scenario guy. Keep in mind this is my first giant project. My numbers could be off. Thankfully a local builder is guiding me every step of the way on this first build.

He keeps saying I’ll see a large profit. We shall see. I made this thread to document everything so others can see what it’s like doing something like this.

Real Estate always makes money, I am only worried about "overheads and interest rates!"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.