The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let’s be real: If you're over 35, you don't have a chance.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Time ie the currency of life. Some people dabble in business and they will be DEMOLISHED by people that don’t. Same with the guy starting a business in the same industry as someone who started at age 16 compared to the guy starting at 35. It will discourage him further while the guy at 16 is in an epic upward spiral. This isn’t being negative. It’s literally nature at work where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Nobody is stopping you from sticking with the sidewalk.
:shit:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Nobody is stopping you from sticking with the sidewalk.
:shit:
Lmao. I’m just stating facts. I’m not saying you can’t be a “fastlaner” or someone who starts their own business at 35. I’m just saying it’s harder. And I’m writing this post for young people like me to have a sense of URGENCY. Most people my age are complete losers. Wasting away their lives in 9-5. Always saying “later”. Well I’ve talked to a lot of people older that 37 and they all say time FLIES. Do the things you KNOW will push you ahead.

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 14, 2018
The only point that I might agree with the OP on is that you can't be a complete dumbass in order to succeed as an entrepreneur (and even then, I'm not sure if my statement is true). Other than that, the idea that turning 35 somehow nullifies your ability to CREATE and DELIVER value is laughable.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
The only point that I might agree with the OP on is that you can't be a complete dumbass in order to succeed as an entrepreneur (and even then, I'm not sure if my statement is true). Other than that, the idea that turning 35 somehow nullifies your ability to CREATE and DELIVER value is laughable.
Yes even at 35 you can create a better life but most wont due to ego. Even for me at 23 I find myself growing an ego. What is an ego? Doing the same thing over and over again, children are less susctible to an ego as they are young and life is fresh. But as you get older life can get stale. You HAVE to do painful things to wake you up from your slumber.

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 14, 2018
Yes even at 35 you can create a better life but most wont due to ego. Even for me at 23 I find myself growing an ego. What is an ego? Doing the same thing over and over again, children are less susctible to an ego as they are young and life is fresh. But as you get older life can get stale. You HAVE to do painful things to wake you up from your slumber.

If they have a huge ego, then that's their problem. There are plenty of 50 year old construction workers who think "earning a paycheck" from their company is somehow the hallmark of their lives.

If they're that brainwashed/stupid, they have no one to blame but themselves. You sound like a relatively intelligent person (if not a bit misguided) so I don't know why you would bother obsessing over what other people do.

The fact there are stupid/delusional/egotistical people doesn't bother me at all. For example, I argue with people on the subject of politics all the time (for fun), and the fact that a lot of people don't even understand basic economics has no effect whatsoever on me. If they want to remain ignorant, that's their choice (and an opportunity for me to mock and laugh at them relentlessly for my personal entertainment).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Playing devils advocate but they probably started in their 20's. Let me reiterate. Someone who has been SCRIPTED THEIR WHOLE LIFE UNTIL 35. What does this mean? They do as their told. They NEVER went off script or go off the "plan". They were a "good" person. But life doesn't care if your a "good" person who does as he is told and goes according to plan.
The people who succeed I guarantee were "rebels" or failed multiple times before they made it big. They already had that rebellious side to them. Im talking about if a "nice" guy at 35 can change into that rebellioius entrepreneur, is that even possible?

Worked corporate job until 33. Read RDPD. Quit, started my business at 36.

Lol, your guarantee means nothing.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Lmao. I’m just stating facts. I’m not saying you can’t be a “fastlaner” or someone who starts their own business at 35. I’m just saying it’s harder. And I’m writing this post for young people like me to have a sense of URGENCY. Most people my age are complete losers. Wasting away their lives in 9-5. Always saying “later”. Well I’ve talked to a lot of people older that 37 and they all say time FLIES. Do the things you KNOW will push you ahead.

Your delusional man.

People here who are older are more likely, way more life experience and skills picked up on there journey.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
Well I’ve talked to a lot of people older that 37 and they all say time FLIES.

at least, this comment is true. i am 43 and i feel that time is flying like a rocket.

so there are 2 ways to be free.

either you become rich

or you learn to live with nothing like monks or people living the van life on the road and so on .

my opinion is that freedom and time are more important than money because i am on earth for superior goals ( spiritual and so on)

Last edited:

JRK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
654%
Jun 26, 2019
This thread in a nutshell:

If I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying is, the older you get the less chance you can become successful because it gets harder to change, in a positive way, as you age…

Question: Can this be true?

Answer: WHY DA F#CK DOES IT MATTER???

If you are serious about it, you do whatever it takes to get it done.

Why is it even relevant if it feels harder???

Even if it is harder, it is clearly not impossible.

If you are not willing to make the required sacrifices to get what you want, then that is your own loss.

But it is not acceptable for anyone to blame their inaction on the way they feel.

This sort of thread only embraces a mentality of weakness and gives people an excuse about why they can’t do something.

For anyone to even be acknowledging that it is harder says everything about your mentality.

Last edited:

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
This thread in a nutshell:

View attachment 25903

If I am understanding you correctly, what you are saying is, the older you get the less chance you can become successful because it gets harder change, in a positive, as you age…

Question: Can this be true?

Answer: WHY DA F#CK DOES IT MATTER???

If you are serious about it, you do whatever it takes to get it done.

Why is it even relevant if it feels harder???

Even if it is harder, it is clearly not impossible.

If you are not willing to make the required sacrifices to get what you want, then that is your own loss.

But it is not acceptable for anyone to blame their inaction on the way they feel.

This sort of thread only embraces a mentality of weakness and gives people an excuse about why they can’t do something.

For anyone to even be acknowledging that it is harder says everything about your mentality.
I actually agree whole heartedly with this and forgot to add it. Though it will be harder it is possible but you have to attack it at all angles then the 20 year old does.

JRK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
654%
Jun 26, 2019
If the primary point you are trying to make with this is for young people not to waste their time, then I agree with you on that. The time we have wasted we cannot ever get back.

However, it is important to have it in a way that older people who are only coming across this now and want to make a change in their lives, not to have a victim mentality.

An older person only starting out now may have many other skills and experiences that can be combined in a creative way and be a big benefit.

It is all in the way you look at it.

As for people who are carrying many wounds from their younger life which is impacting their present, I find it important to often remind ourselves that there are countless examples of people who overcame truly terrible things, and much worst than any of us could ever experience, and still managed to live successful and happy lives. By looking at what other people overcame, it is easier to be less wrapped up in our own problems and not feel sorry for ourselves.

I would recommend reading war memoirs of some POW experiences ("The Forgotten Highlander" and "Valleys of Death" are eye opening books among a few).

Last edited:

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Jul 9, 2018
This thread so far....

Brian Suh: If you're past 35 and deep in SCRIPT, you have no chance. Even if you do, you won't be as successful as someone who started in their 20's.

Forum: No dude, age doesn't play a big role as you think it does.

Brian Suh: Yes, it does. Look at those random people around you who are past 35 and gave up on their dreams.

Forum: Well, maybe look at STEVEO, BIOPHASE, JSCOTT, VIGILANTE(?) who were past 35 when they started and didn't give up on their dreams.

Brian Suh: But still look at those random people who are.........

@MJ DeMarco could you please put this thread out of it's misery, so that others can save their time and go execute their plan instead of reading this.

P.S. @Brian Suh based on the recent threads you created, it seems you are going through some low period. Perhaps, start a new thread and post the obstacles you are facing right now, instead of random rants, so that fellow fastlaners can help you get over it.

Last edited:

Kennkuu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 13, 2019
I really don't think so.
I can do whatever I want, whenever I want if I believe I can. It's just about my attitude.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
kinda like asking about the best cut of beef on a vegan forum... yea, that's gonna get responses.
OMG LOL - I've done that - not exactly but same idea - :playful:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
This thread so far....

Brian Suh: If you're past 35 and deep in SCRIPT, you have no chance. Even if you do, you won't be as successful as someone who started in their 20's.

Forum: No dude, age doesn't play a big role as you think it does.

Brian Suh: Yes, it does. Look at those random people around you who are past 35 and gave up on their dreams.

Forum: Well, maybe look at STEVEO, BIOPHASE, JSCOTT, VIGILANTE(?) who were past 35 when they started and didn't give up on their dreams.

Brian Suh: But still look at those random people who are.........

@MJ DeMarco could you please put this thread out of it's misery, so that others can save their time and go execute their plan instead of reading this.

P.S. @Brian Suh based on the recent threads you created, it seems you are going through some low period. Perhaps, start a new thread and post the obstacles you are facing right now, instead of random rants, so that fellow fastlaners can help you get over it.

Best idea on here!

We all go through hard times and we can cheer you a long the way!

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
Let me play devils advocate too! No, you can't! If you're over age of 35, you're done. Just get somewhat tolerable job and grind through until you die.
Or, forget everything you know about yourself and life in general, to start working towards the life you want, or don't... No one cares. It's your decision to make.
I might sound like an a**hole, but it's pointless to add on top of countless replies: "of course, you can, look at this example".
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're right!"
Go around screaming: "We're all doomed!" or - man up and get shit done!
Well that's a different kettle of fish. It's unlikely even with an epiphany. Unless it shakes them to their core, even then, I'd say it would depend on their post epiphany ACTIONS, environment, and closest relationships.

As a lifelong compliant zombie, it's be like Sysihpys sp?

I recommended the Fastlane to my elder brother, but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope his financia, job and unresolved divorce settlement frustrations wake him up to at least the concept of considering a side hustle, but my breath remains unheald.

D

Deleted69818

Let’s be real, can you make it when your past 35? Now I KNOW what more then the majority of this site will say. “Of course you can! There are so many examples! You can do anything you set your mind to!”

The reality is that one’s youth is HIGHLY HIGHLY influential in the direction of one’s life. Take a guy who got bullied since pre school. He will grow up thinking he is unlovable. This will cause him to not try in anything. This will then further reinforce his low value even further creating a downward spiral. Can he fix this? Of course. And many have. But some won’t. And those that didn’t receive that negative feedback will have a major advantage.

The same with any skill. If you are 6’7 and want to join the NBA at 31 you have no shot. The guy who was 6’7 and wanted to join the NBA since 7 will outclass you 10000%.

I think the same could be with entrepreneurship or with anything. The younger you are the more positive reference experience you will get which will further reinforce your level of output and energy to get the result. The upward spiral of awesomeness. The opposite holds true as well.

Let’s be honest. How many that start (key word start) at 35 actually make it?
i
I think that leaving the Script is not something only elite can do. Your examples seem to imply that "making it" is only for highly gifted people (NBA? Of course at 35 you have no chance!).

You have no idea how much my life changed in the last few years: I HAD to work every day, if I didn't work I did not earn.

In August I'll be on holiday for 20 days, and for the first time in my life I'll be earning more than what I spend while cruising, staying on beaches and enjoying life with my wife. With 0 hours of work (ok, maybe not really 0, but you get the point).

I'm also extremely prudent, and believe me when I say I'm no superhero.

Oh, and I'm 44.

But getting out of the script? I think it's for many of us. I KNOW it.
Maybe you won't be the next Jeff Bezos, but you will be able bring freedom in your life.

If that's your goal, of course. Or maybe it isn't?
I applaud your approach to freedom in life in 45...always enjoy your staying on beaches....you have motivated me

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

It's easier really. You have more life experience and know how the world works far better at 35 than at 25.

Say it's a 'fact' is pretty funny. Care to try and prove your fact?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
To be honest 23 years old is getting kinda pretty late in the game these days also.

23 is nearly 30 and 30 is more than half way to 50. At 50 you’re nearly dead.

I’d say if you aren’t on about your 5th or 6th revenue stream by around 18 years old it’s nearly complete game over.

Olov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 10, 2019
It's so awkward when teenagers try to give life lessons and tell older People what's what in life.

I know we all think we know best when we are in our teens. But come on, This thread and the responses he gives to People (calling other posters idiot etc) is on another level.

There is youthful arrogance, and then it's People like that guy. The problem is obviously within him, nothing else.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
No, no, no, you have no facts here. You're making it up as you go along.
Here's what I think happened, Fastlane.
As he used the image of an Uber driver early on, 23-yr-old OP got into a convo with an exotic Uber driver and wanted to be admired back, so he agreed with all the sophomoric little pearls of wisdom that bored cab drivers toss out as a way to make the shift more tolerable. OP thought he was talking to Moses of the Bible himself or Genghis Khan. He decided the bullsh*t would make a Hot Topic here.

Last edited:

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
If you plant a seed at 12 and someone plants the same seed at 35 and both live to 80 the one who planted their seeds at 12 will be at a huge head start. And it compounds. That’s not to say you won’t get good results if you plant a seed at 35
It's so awkward when teenagers try to give life lessons and tell older People what's what in life.

I know we all think we know best when we are in our teens. But come on, This thread and the responses he gives to People (calling other posters idiot etc) is on another level.

There is youthful arrogance, and then it's People like that guy. The problem is obviously within him, nothing else.
age has nothing to do with maturity. I’ve met brilliant and grounded 15 year olds and I’ve also met egotistical losers in their 40s. Yes people can change. But the majority WONT. I am NOT being cynical. At the next family dinner look around. They will be the same or worse. No one ever stays the same. They are either increasing or decreasing in their life. And almost 95% are decreasing.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
In real life you will see much more successful entrepreneurs in late 30s or 40s, because they have the skill, network, money, connection and all rounded capability (mostly mental maturity).

The problem with 20s is not that they are into party (that’s a different segment of the population). The problem with 20s is that they tend to overestimate themselves and refuse to compromise. A lot of decision can be ego driven. Once example is the OFO founder who refused buyout offers and refused management overhaul advice from their investor. Eventually he drove his business to the ground.

The way I under the OPs questions is that can you be a 35 year old that start from scratch? No skill, no money, no network and trying to join a new industry to figure it out later. Yes you can but not without significant personal sacrifice that a 25 year old (similarly no skill and broke) don’t have to face. Family commitment is one thing. Continue to live with parents past 35 could draw strange glances. You may be single, but trying to have romance at 40 being broke will limit the options later. Even if you are a millionaire at 45 and marries late, your kid is 12 years younger than the kid of your high school buddy. Not a bad deal but don’t tell me there is no sacrifice.

If you are a former google employee drawing 100k salary with VC connection, quitting your job at 37 and starting an internet company is a different starting point. You got enough resources for your family set aside. Head you win you are worth 8 digits now. Tail the VC lose their money you go back to work as an IT professional. Totally different risk to reward ratio in entrepreneurship.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
To be honest 23 years old is getting kinda pretty late in the game these days also.

23 is nearly 30 and 30 is more than half way to 50. At 50 you’re nearly dead.

I’d say if you aren’t on about your 5th or 6th revenue stream by around 18 years old it’s nearly complete game over.
Let's be real... if you haven't been selling candys for a profit in kindergarten...

If you plant a seed at 12 and someone plants the same seed at 35 and both live to 80 the one who planted their seeds at 12 will be at a huge head start. And it compounds. That’s not to say you won’t get good results if you plant a seed at 35
And what's the point about this?
Do you want to tell anybody at 35 years and above to not even try?

The truth is you are way behind too if you haven't started your first site hustles in kindergarten.
Many of the all time greats have started at that age.
But should this be a reason to not try if you have only started your first sidehustle with 12?

I agree with your point. Of course someone that starts earlier than someone else has a higher probability of success everything else being equal but so what?
You are however old you are today and you can't change it so why care about it.
Focus on what you control.

Also, not everyone wants to become a billionaire (most don't)... if you just want to be financialy free 2-3 million dollars will do and you don't have to be young, a genius and working 100 hours per week to achieve this.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Let's be real... if you haven't been selling candys for a profit in kindergarten...

And what's the point about this?
Do you want to tell anybody at 35 years and above to not even try?

The truth is you are way behind too if you haven't started your first site hustles in kindergarten.
Many of the all time greats have started at that age.
But should this be a reason to not try if you have only started your first sidehustle with 12?

I agree with your point. Of course someone that starts earlier than someone else has a higher probability of success everything else being equal but so what?
You are however old you are today and you can't change it so why care about it.
Focus on what you control.

Also, not everyone wants to become a billionaire (most don't)... if you just want to be financialy free 2-3 million dollars will do and you don't have to be young, a genius and working 100 hours per week to achieve this.

I was being mega sarcastic to go with the depressing tone of the OP.

Threads like this are the peak of “mentally playing business” since OP most likely isn’t doing anything and has zero real skin in the game.

It’s like arguing supercar engine stats and with someone who is taking the bus.

No one here wants to be average so who cares what the statistics say. The whole aim of Fastlane is to make your own rules and to be an outliner. There is no average with entrepreneurship - you either make it or you don’t.

If you are 35 then you’re 35 - why waste another 40 plus years when you got time on the clock. You can’t go back in time.

If you’re 23 then you’re 23 - stop worrying about anyone else’s age.

Last post on this thread - it makes me feel like I’m getting stupider.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

age has nothing to do with maturity. I’ve met brilliant and grounded 15 year olds and I’ve also met egotistical losers in their 40s. Yes people can change. But the majority WONT. I am NOT being cynical. At the next family dinner look around. They will be the same or worse. No one ever stays the same. They are either increasing or decreasing in their life. And almost 95% are decreasing.
No, evolution has given human mammals the innate drive to develop or *unfold" across the lifespan.
Some individuals have a clue, some use trial and error, some have maladaption but all respond some way or other throughout life.
There is no experience of a "moment' essential to growth at any stage.
Nearly all change happens without "moments" of awareness, Dr. Doolittle.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
Thread summary:

- Brian Suh: Over 35, you don't have a chance.
- Several forum users: I got it after 35.
- Brian Suh: No, idiots, you are wrong.

You are not learning a simple lesson with facts. That is why you will never create a business, because it requires learning thousands of lessons, from the facts, from reality. The worst mistake is to believe that you already know everything to succeed.

The worst thing is that with your ego and your lack of humility and respect that I imagine comes from childhood complexes not overcome, not only will you not be able to not create a business, but you will suffer all your life. The positive part is that you can change, but it's hard and the first step is to accept it. Life awaits you, it depends on you.

By the way, enough for me, I stop watching the thread.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If you plant a seed at 12 and someone plants the same seed at 35 and both live to 80 the one who planted their seeds at 12 will be at a huge head start. And it compounds.
If you plant a seed at 12 and don't take proper care of the seed, you may end up with a stunted or dead plant or tree.

If you plant a seed at 35 and use your life skills to prep the soil, nurture the plant, fertilize properly, water, trim, treat disease, etc...

Of course it is possible for a 12 year old to deal with the complexities and such. But I would not leave a complex process of mine to a 12 year old to take care of.

This is my 3rd response to this post... WHAT is the matter with me?

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
i read somewhere that NASA doesn't want to send 25-30 years old engineers in space . because young guys have not yet learned to master their nerves when adversity comes.

that's why NASA sends 40-50 years old guys in space. they are old and mature enough to face adversity and find the solutions

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.