The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lead Gen Sites

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Are their generic and/or modifible scripts on the market for a site like this?

My genral idea is i have several very good domains for a specific product and service that go hand in hand. the domains are keywords to that product. My idea was too turn the domains into lead gen sites for customers that need both the product and service.

What todo from there, Could i sell the list weekly, or make it a subscription site? Thoughts on this anyone....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I think the best way to is to set up a system within the site that will automtically bill the customer and send the leads to them. This would also lead to a fast response time for the people seeking information (the lead). I am sure MJ could give you a better answer! You want to create a system that will generate income for you without having to be there every single second.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm not aware of any, but then again, I never really looked.

My genral idea is i have several very good domains for a specific product and service that go hand in hand. the domains are keywords to that product. My idea was too turn the domains into lead gen sites for customers that need both the product and service.

What todo from there, Could i sell the list weekly, or make it a subscription site? Thoughts on this anyone....

Kinda tough to speculate without knowing the products. Some services/products lend better to lead-gen than others. I always favor a pay-for-performance model so the onus is on you to provide traffic. Also, as technology progresses and becomes more advanced, the lead-gen space becomes an endangered species so its something you want to look at very carefully.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Also, as technology progresses and becomes more advanced, the lead-gen space becomes an endangered species

Interesting thought...I'd love to hear more about how you see lead-gen being pressured by technology?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'm not aware of any, but then again, I never really looked.

Kinda tough to speculate without knowing the products. Some services/products lend better to lead-gen than others. I always favor a pay-for-performance model so the onus is on you to provide traffic. Also, as technology progresses and becomes more advanced, the lead-gen space becomes an endangered species so its something you want to look at very carefully.

Vehicle advertising persay. Its a local install so i would have to be able to pull lists for a specific region to send to corresponding installers, etc. There are other options that i could take with the domain names, but i want sometihng hands off for the most part or automated, i have a b&M business to run so i dont want to be super involved in developing the lists myself. Id rather it be automated.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Im developing a lead-gen website as well. My idea is that the businesses must sign up with a credit card from wich the system will deduct automaticly each time a lead contacts the business.

I would really like to know more about what you said MJ...How does technology affects this kind of business? Should I think an alternative business model just in case?

Thanks!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Im developing a lead-gen website as well. My idea is that the businesses must sign up with a credit card from wich the system will deduct automaticly each time a lead contacts the business.

I would really like to know more about what you said MJ...How does technology affects this kind of business? Should I think an alternative business model just in case?

Thanks!

I remember you mentioning something about yours. You had a slightly diffrent approach, Care to expand? Are you developing it yourself?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Sure! Yes, my approach is somewhat different, as well as my objetive.

Im developing a search engine for a services market. I want to be the biggest in Lat. America.

At first I'll have to get the first Businesses in an "aggresive" way. Think cold calling, etc.

Once I get enough traffic, I wont have to look that hard in order to get more businesses signing up with me.

I've partenered with a friend, who is a better developer than me. I will be more in the managment role, however I'm going to develop a few things off course.

Well, let me know if you need more input. Im writing from my mobile so my thumbs hurts :p

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
Find the lead buyers first, invest the money, and more importantly time, in an automated/self-serving system later. In my experience you have to pretty much give the leads away for free unless its an established market such as the financials (loans & credit)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Find the lead buyers first, invest the money, and more importantly time, in an automated/self-serving system later. In my experience you have to pretty much give the leads away for free unless its an established market such as the financials (loans & credit)

So, What would be the advantage to building a site like this to give leads away? Im trying to think of something diffrent todo with it. I tihnk if anything it will serve as a good try and learning experiance.

Who? What? And where? would i find a developer for a simple lead site the i supposse collects the info in mysql?

Ive never had anything developed outside of HTML/XML/PHP and ecommerce stuff.

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
You give free leads to potential lead buyers. They see that the leads are good, then you can name your price because they want more. If you can get them to pay up front, perfect; but sometimes that isn't always possible.

But, as I said, find the buyers first before dumping money on a complex system. This is a very hard business on both ends, lead generation and lead selling.

http://thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=6790&highlight=programmer

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thanks andrew, I added rep for the information you provided!

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks, good luck with your project. It might take some time to get the numbers profitable, but keep at it because this is a $100k+ a year business easily.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thatnks for the well wishes, this site is not a priority to my company now but i will start searching out a coder and work on it when i can, if im using getacoder or elance what would i typically look for? and what kinda of progrmming do i need for a form and database?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I shouldn't put this in a post where not many won't see it so maybe Ill rethread it later but .... a big mistake new website owners make is to charge for their service on launch. (This is in reference to the LeadGen space)

How many times have you hit a website and it is hard selling "List your company - only $99!!" and then upon inspection of the site, it is virtually CONTENT EMPTY? No companies? No listings?

In my particular industry, I always had a new competitor to face weekly -- they tried to compete but forgot one particular rule: You can't sell an empty site. Empty sites (in launch mode) are a dime-a-dozen and unfortunately, THEY STAY EMPTY because they don't know how to launch a website - instead, they're preoccupied with REVENUES and PROFITS.

When I started, I virtually had to give it away with the VISION that having content and customers would generate REAL customers.

Furthermore, you have to understand the competitive nature of any industry ... if they see their competition advertising on your website, more than likely, they will want to join your website as well. "Wow, if ABC Plumbing is advertising here, I'd better!" Its human nature and you can use it to your advantage.

So the bottomline is this ... if you think you're gonna launch a site and immediately start having customers (without existing customers and/or content), you're dreaming. You need a "hook" to get them to join an empty site ... more than likely, this is making your offer FREE with the sole intent on creating content and momentum to charge fees later.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting thought...I'd love to hear more about how you see lead-gen being pressured by technology?

An example ... I own a domain for DJ's (disc jockeys) ... while a few years ago a lead gen site would have worked perfectly in this business, it wouldn't be as effective today because technology has improved to the point where automation can remove the lead process.(Why distribute leads when now you can actually take the reservations)?
Leads would be replaced by taking actual reservations.

Technology has made it easier to aggregate an industry, instantly price customer queries and cross-reference to client back-end systems, and book the user. Whereas you can still charge a per-inquiry lead fee, the process can go a lot further which ultimately leaves the lead-gen process falling short unless you complete the transaction. If that occurs, it changes from "lead-gen" to "finders fees".

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
An example ... I own a domain for DJ's (disc jockeys) ... while a few years ago a lead gen site would have worked perfectly in this business, it wouldn't be as effective today because technology has improved to the point where automation can remove the lead process.(Why distribute leads when now you can actually take the reservations)?

Technology has made it easier to aggregate an industry, instantly price customer queries and cross-reference to client back-end systems, and book the user. Whereas you can still charge a per-inquiry lead fee, the process can go a lot further which ultimately leaves the lead-gen process falling short unless you complete the transaction. If that occurs, it changes from "lead-gen" to "finders fees".
MJ (or anybody else with knowledge about lead-gen), how is payment for a lead-generation usually handled? Are potential client lists generated periodically and then sold in bulk to businesses, or are they sold individually and paid this way?

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
Thatnks for the well wishes, this site is not a priority to my company now but i will start searching out a coder and work on it when i can, if im using getacoder or elance what would i typically look for? and what kinda of progrmming do i need for a form and database?

php & mySQL should do it. Any programmer can write a basic form to database program. Use Google Analytics, run their conversion tracking on your form submission confirmation page to track the source of the traffic (I use a custom programmed system for analytics but that makes things 100x more complex.)

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM

In your example above and in your opinion, if the "service offered" warranted both options, could and would you offer both options, ? Lead gen AND/or a process through the taking the actual reservations?

Could there be a scenario where lead gen and/or finders fees might be used within the same service?

Lastly, if all three options were viable, would you combine them into one site or separate them into different sites?

It seems to me, if one could find a service that incorporates all three options it could be huge. :great:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been in Lake Tahoe most of the week for some R&R ... Ill answer when I get back home to Phx.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
In your example above and in your opinion, if the "service offered" warranted both options, could and would you offer both options, ? Lead gen AND/or a process through the taking the actual reservations?

Could there be a scenario where lead gen and/or finders fees might be used within the same service?

Lastly, if all three options were viable, would you combine them into one site or separate them into different sites?

It seems to me, if one could find a service that incorporates all three options it could be huge. :great:

the idea behind this is to go with whichever option is more profitable. if you can distribute leads while is automated you are maximizing your time for your profit. however, what MJ is saying that now with technology yu could automate the reservation and make even more revenue with working the same, its an ovbious option. of course you could do both but why would you want to take the time to take food out of your mouth? Automate the entire process ad sit back... well minus tweaking lead in advertising if needed.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
to add to this , i saw a comment on a blog today that a provider had effective ROI increase when having two options on the main lead in site, one to a short form where a customer could fill out little information and get back to what they were doing. requiring the merchant to call or follow up and go through a longer drawn out process, and a option to fill out a longer form ahead of time so they could get a better answer faster. This captures more leads in the end because you are reaching two different type of end users while still getting leads. very interesting stuff!!! i can copy the comment here if anyone is interested!

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
YES! This is exactly the application in which my question lead. The service has users with different needs at different times as well as variable services. So that brings me back to the original question of would you incorporate onto a single site OR develop separate sites, each focusing on the specific target audiences?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
YES! This is exactly the application in which my question lead. The service has users with different needs at different times as well as variable services. So that brings me back to the original question of would you incorporate onto a single site OR develop separate sites, each focusing on the specific target audiences?

My opinion would depend on How relevant. If the sperate need coincided with the main purpose of the site, i would keep it on the same site and have it intergrated. However if it was a different portion like firstusing your site to reserve a house for vacation, then also reserving them a charter boat.... well i think it would take some testing. if anything have the option in the process and if ia user skips over it. have a link to it when their information is submitted to another site you own for boat charter reservations and maybe then the user can focus on what they want todo about a boat charter.

This is just a scenario i thought up as i see the link in your signature if for vacation home reservations.

Which is coming along very nicley it seems!!! Great job!

Domains

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 15, 2008

Several ways with lead generation.
You can sell the leads to a portal that is generating leads for that niche on an exclusive basis and they would pay wholesale (pay per lead usually).
Or you can sell each lead to usually 4 to 6 companies which is alot more headache but you obviously make more. Most of the work can be outsourced so not necessarily much to do but that is assuming you are holding 'category killer' domains.

If a 'skeleton' like MovingCompanies .com is what you need, PM me.
(The design/text/content can be easily changed.)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Several ways with lead generation.
You can sell the leads to a portal that is generating leads for that niche on an exclusive basis and they would pay wholesale (pay per lead usually).
Or you can sell each lead to usually 4 to 6 companies which is alot more headache but you obviously make more. Most of the work can be outsourced so not necessarily much to do but that is assuming you are holding 'category killer' domains.

If a 'skeleton' like MovingCompanies .com is what you need, PM me.
(The design/text/content can be easily changed.)

Selling the leads wasnt the base of the question there. I will have to figure that end out later. I was more asking of a templete of a lead gen site with a back end attached to view or pass on the leads. The site you provided os sort of what im talking about. How much is something like that to develop? and what does the backend look like?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
So update on this.

The main sites that i wanted to sell out leads for have not gone up yet. however a few other sites that are in the works have a lead form up.

I created something in front page and wrote out content (to start the SE process) and also had my developer set up the mysql side. Its nothing pretty which i am also working on, but IT WORKS. i have been trickling emails into the database with virtually no effort.

For these sites the emails are going to be used during launch of the site. all of that information is clarified on the lead site. Just wanted to drop an update on this real quick!

EDIT: the site has also moved to position 12 for its main keyword!!

Last edited:

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
You said some e-mails are coming in.....is this your leads that you are eventually going to sell? E-mail from potential clients wanting to know more about the service?

Or just e-mails you have set up to promote the business?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You said some e-mails are coming in.....is this your leads that you are eventually going to sell? E-mail from potential clients wanting to know more about the service?

Or just e-mails you have set up to promote the business?

These are emails of people that what to be notified upon launch. Its a user community blah blah blah, it will be a large site so i put up a lead form with name and email so they could submit their contact information and be notified in the future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.