The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lambo pulls up buys civic type r

J Perez

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 9, 2016
So basically my slow lane job is a mechanic at a local Chicago Honda dealer .

Yesterday a gray newer Lamborghini pulls up. I ask the sales manager who that is . He said ," he's the owner of a luxury dealer and is buying our only 2017 Honda Civic type R for his 8 year old son.

This whole situation just implanted even more how fast lane life is compare to my slow lane life As of now. Working on a few value creations for the world though

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
So basically my slow lane job is a mechanic at a local Chicago Honda dealer .

Yesterday a gray newer Lamborghini pulls up. I ask the sales manager who that is . He said ," he's the owner of a luxury dealer and is buying our only 2017 Honda Civic type R for his 8 year old son.

This whole situation just implanted even more how fast lane life is compare to my slow lane life As of now. Working on a few value creations for the world though
Driving at 8 years old? That's Fastlane.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
my boyfriend works at an Audi dealership and a few weeks ago he was telling me about a customer he had that morning. It was a guy in his 40's who pulled up in a Ferrari 458 with his 15 year old son. His son was turning 16 that week, and he was supposed to get the 458 for his very first car, but the son didn't like the 458. So he and his son went to Audi to pick up an R8 instead. While he was there getting his 15 year old the R8, he saw a limited edition 1/20 R8 that the dealership had on the showroom floor, and he decided to get that as well for himself, on top of the R8 he was getting his son.

I hear stories like this all the time. Of people who come in buying a A7 for their kids, and leave buying an R8 for themselves. Or kids who are getting a 120,000 car for their 16th birthday. It is absolutely insane to me.

Though getting your 8 year old a type R is pretty insane as well!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I'd never do that for my kids, even if I drove a lambo or had a billion dollars.

I'm also not paying for their college, unless these 4 things happen first:
  • Has to have had a low end shit job for 12 months. Like carts at Walmart ( being in the heat and snow and rain )
  • Started their own business and ran it for 12 months. This could be a "side business" while doing carts at Walmart. I will help them start this. it doesn't have to be successful, but they must have had to try
  • Learned a trade and worked in said trade for 12 months.
  • Have read 10 books of my choosing
Seem strict? I don't think so. I wish someone would have done this for me when I was 13-22 years of age. In reality many of these things can happen at the same time ( reading the books and working the side business while employed for someone else, even learning the trade too ).

Once the 4 above things have been done, I would consider paying for college if my kids asked me. However, only then it would still be a community college. I don't see a "different outcome" for those that excel at a community college compared to those that just got by or did average at a more prestigious university.

I know this thread wasn't about college, but the bottom line is the same.

You can't just give your kids stuff for free, especially if it's a brand new car at 8 or 15. Especially not a new high end car at that like an R8.

More then likely, I might help them buy a very old car from the 60's, 70's or 80's like older Volvos, Mercedes 240d's, early hondas, etc.

I want them to feel and know what it's like to have to work for someone else in a shitty situation ( job, car, debt ), but also at the same time realize there is another outcome available if they open their mind to it. Most people know what it's like to be in a shitty situation, but they don't know the other alternatives and follow the crowd into college and then a job for 40 years or get a handout from mom and dad for the rest of their lives ( I know people who are 40+ still getting hand outs from their rich mom and dad and can't function in normal life ).

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I'd never do that for my kids, even if I drove a lambo or had a billion dollars.

• Has to have had a low end shit job for 12 months. Like carts at Walmart ( being in the heat and snow and rain )
  • Started their own business and ran it for 12 months. This could be a "side business" while doing carts at Walmart. I will help them start this. it doesn't have to be successful, but they must have had to try
Seem strict? I don't think so. I wish someone would have done this for me when I was 13-22 years of age. In reality many of these things can happen at the same time ( reading the books and working the side business while employed for someone else, even learning the trade too ).

Once the 4 above things have been done, I would consider paying for college if my kids asked me. However, only then it would still be a community college. I don't see a "different outcome" for those that excel at a community college compared to those that just got by or did average at a more prestigious university.

You can't just give your kids stuff for free, especially if it's a brand new car at 8 or 15. Especially not a new high end car at that like an R8.

More then likely, I might help them buy a very old car from the 60's, 70's or 80's like older Volvos, Mercedes 240d's, early hondas, etc.

I want them to feel and know what it's like to have to work for someone else in a shitty situation ( job, car, debt ), but also at the same time realize there is another outcome available if they open their mind to it. Most people know what it's like to be in a shitty situation, but they don't know the other alternatives and follow the crowd into college and then a job for 40 years or get a handout from mom and dad for the rest of their lives ( I know people who are 40+ still getting hand outs from their rich mom and dad and can't function in normal life ).

I've seen you in a few threads where you discussed your parenting. Just wanted to say, you seem like a good dad.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
( I know people who are 40+ still getting hand outs from their rich mom and dad and can't function in normal life ).
Mrs jon and I support a couple of couples in their 60's like that.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Hahahaha that Dad clearly hates his son.

Couldn't handle the guilt when my increadibly inexperienced and immature son totals his car at 200mph killing himself and a family of 5 while he is at it. Probably while trying to impress a girl, so I guess she dies too...

EDIT: I was referring to the R8, not the Type R. I would have loved a Type R at 8 just to look at

Jamaal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Miami FL

I currently do not have any kids, however when I do, I agree 100% with your principles here... No Lambos on a silver platter over here... Everything must be earned... *Bookmarked*

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I just want them at an early age to know the alternatives besides going to college and working a job.

Nothing wrong with college or a job in general, I just feel IF ITS THE ONLY THING YOU KNOW.. that it's a problem.

If they want me to pay for it, they need to follow my rules. This way I at least tried my best to show them multiple ways "out" of a scripted life along with their generalized upbringing as a whole.

Plus, if they graduate from college and can't land a job ( like so many these days ), they at least have the trade and "running their own business experience" they can fall back on and try to start another business or hop back into the trade if the situation calls for it.

Maybe even start their own business in the trade they learned.

Fallback program. That's what I'm trying to give them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
my boyfriend works at an Audi dealership and a few weeks ago he was telling me about a customer he had that morning. It was a guy in his 40's who pulled up in a Ferrari 458 with his 15 year old son. His son was turning 16 that week, and he was supposed to get the 458 for his very first car, but the son didn't like the 458. So he and his son went to Audi to pick up an R8 instead. While he was there getting his 15 year old the R8, he saw a limited edition 1/20 R8 that the dealership had on the showroom floor, and he decided to get that as well for himself, on top of the R8 he was getting his son.

Wow, giving your kid an unearned trophy for doing nothing, like aging? Nothing can go wrong there...

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Wow, giving your kid an unearned trophy for doing nothing, like aging? Nothing can go wrong there...
I got a brand new car on my 16th birthday.
It was awesome at the time, but I now wish I had to work my a$$ off for a used Civic.
I had to learn how to be responsible in my 20's and that's much more difficult when you have bills to pay.

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
I've done most jobs in a grocery store (not Walmart) and carts was by far the most fun. Have him wash dishes instead :)

You never know what job will be the most fun until you actually do it. Most fun job I've ever had? Tech-support on a small College campus. It wasn’t a call-centre IT job. We had a booth at end of the school, and spent the rest of our time running over to offices and fixing problems. We also had a rush every three hours, where we had to wheel the computer projector carts around to different classes, set them up, and solve problems. Doing three or four in 10 minutes was a good rush J

Second best job? Janitor. It wasn't all fun and games, but you got a nice sense of satisfaction keeping a massive building clean and operational. Also, we had a ‘death pipe’ in the basement that would routinely gush scalding hot water, so that kept us entertained too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Second best job? Janitor.

To be honest, I think I would enjoy this too because I consider myself a clean freak. Well, I'd enjoy it until I had to clean up vomit or a clogged up toilet with a monster turd. But for the most part, it is something I'd find gratification in. Very odd.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX

Could not agree more, I was talking to my boyfriends colleague about it and his comment was "But, this kid like really deserved it. He was a good kid" My response back to him was "No 15 year old deserves a sports car like that unless they are paying for it themselves."

The whole idea of buying your kid a car like that really blows my mind. I don't understand how people could justify that. And the comment of "well he deserved it" is even more nauseating

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
"But, this kid like really deserved it. He was a good kid"

haha, how funny.

I know a heroine addict that is in and out of jail for theft all the time and his parents think "hes a good kid" too.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
monster turd
Those are the worst.

But seriously, my wife was raised in a family where big ticket item gifts were given, and are still given to her on a regular basis. Her parents are not rich by any means, they are however extremely generous. It's one thing to have generous parents, it's another thing to be ignorant to the hard work (process) that goes into the gifts (event).

Last edited:

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
clean up vomit or a clogged up toilet with a monster turd
No joke, some people think it's funny to write with it on the walls and mirrors. We called a hazmat team. Twice.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

I hear stories like this all the time. Of people who come in buying a A7 for their kids, and leave buying an R8 for themselves. Or kids who are getting a 120,000 car for their 16th birthday. It is absolutely insane to me.

That's insane, lol

WTF

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
To be honest, I think I would enjoy this too because I consider myself a clean freak. Well, I'd enjoy it until I had to clean up vomit or a clogged up toilet with a monster turd. But for the most part, it is something I'd find gratification in. Very odd.
Vomit and toilets aren't that bad. At least you can strap on gloves and use tools. I've heard of missionaries using their HANDS to pluck out shit from stuck toilets long ago...but I think these days toilets are of the stronger type.

You know what's bad?

Unblocking a system of pipes. Did it the whole afternoon with a guy and the friendly neighbourhood handyman when I volunteered to help out for a youth camp. It was a three or four story building and the network of pipes sprawled all the way from the bathrooms down to the drains and sewage compartment below.

On plumbing, it's mostly a pressure game. So we had to run up and down, turn on all water faucets, check if the pipe below was flowing, use a plumber's snake to dig out the shit in the damn pipes, hit at core areas in the piping (the handyman did that...he was more skilled)...but it was pretty much a trial and error process as the piping systems were LONG. Anything could have happened.

The day was hot as F*ck. And opening the sewage compartment on the ground floor level to check whether shit was flowing was quite the work...we had to dig up the earth to uncover the lid, remove it, had MANY cockroaches run out of it, and the smell coming from it was putrid.

What we uncovered from the piping was also horrendous. Murky water, all kinds of junk like bottles, papers, some coins, a shirt (lol), debris from outer space....and mind you, it was at a youth center, so I don't know what the hell they threw in the piping. But we got it done. I think the piping systems were busted to begin with, quite antiquated as the entire place is roughly about 20 years old or even older?

Another tough manual job I have done was transporting mattresses. Did it for a few days. Now if you think it's easy, its not. We had to haul the mattresses from the top of another three story building down to the ground level, to be shoved into a small van. And those mattresses was dusty af and I'm allergic to dust, not to mention that there were like a few hundred of them to haul down. I'm dealing with radioactive material there lol!

At first we made some kind of pseudo-slide along the stairs out of mattresses, and sent them sliding all the way down. But that still took some labour. Then we thought about it further and realised:
a. Although these mattresses are hard, they still are soft enough to cushion blows.

b. We have a flat wide area on the ground below the main windows.

Guess what we did?

We just threw the mattresses out of the window.:playful::rofl::rofl: Crazy af.

We could have spoilt them and dirty them for all we cared for. But well, those mattresses were already screwed up to begin with, and I ain't gonna get a pulley and level to make physics help us! So we cleared the task in half an hour by tossing them to the ground below, loaded them up and drove off.

If I weren't desperately trying to get away from the SCRIPT, such jobs even the back-breaking ones are actually quite enjoyable and chokeful of experience. Some of the best people I know come from these kinds of labour-based work, and they deserve my respect.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
When I was 8 was I lucky to even receive a toy model of a car..

If I end up having kids, I want my son to work at least one year in physical labor job and one year in sales.

As for a daughter, I'll probably end up spoiling her :happy:

On the bright side, I won't force them to become a doctor, lawyer or engineer!

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE

As a father this is terrifying. No way would I trust my 16-year-old-self with that kind of speed. Maybe that kid has a better head on his shoulders than I did... (I realize this is not the point of the thread, but still)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.