• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

RANT Just When I Thought I Had it all Figured Out....

Discussion in 'Chat Scripted Dogma/Indoctrination' started by ZF Lee, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,456
    Thank you for your support. Agreed!
    Marketing is already hard enough to think of. :smile:

I'm already super busy. Charted some appointments, more visits to shops, maybe a few emails to some leads and I'm not sure what else.

Found a few books to read that dig deep into specific problems, namely brand building and supply chain, and they aren't the usual rehash or intro books that one usually finds on business. I need second readings to fully comprehend the stuff.

2. sparechange

sparechange Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,795
    I’ve been thinking of buying Mark cubans book, should be good, Richard Branson’s seem good to

Will-v-the-World likes this.
  3. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,456
    I decided to test an idea by pretending to be the target customer of the intended product.
    I went to Reddit, and poured out my 'troubles' and 'fears' like a regular Sidewalker lol, based on my idea. I signed up for Reddit just today.

Birds of the same feather flock together after all.

The response was overwhelming...I'll extend this experiment until tomorrow to see what I can rope out of it.

Maybe my negative bias of reddit is BS after all...

If I get some valuable insights, I'll go to the Inside lol. To be continued....

sparechange and SteveO like this.
  4. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $85,615
    This is a distraction. If she has a problem, don't let it become yours.

ZF Lee and lowtek like this.
  5. ZF Lee

Rep Bank:
    $6,456
    UPDATES

On my Reddit test, for my intended product, people aren't exactly wanting a better alternative. They named all kinds of other products that were cheaper, with good quality and even a degree of loyalty to it.

However, maybe they haven't seen a better alternative yet to make a different choice. It's probably like people saying they will still use old Nokia phones when you try to sell them IPhones lol. I'll toss up a website with a pre-sell, but I'll prepare to iterate on to another idea if it doesn't bites the bait. I'm wondering if a week is long enough, even for a little A/B testing on different headlines.

Shouldn't be very expensive either to fire the website.

Just now, I heard MJ railing about folks thinking that they have to select a brand new idea to be immensely successful.

Funny, the product I am looking into:
    a. Is boring as f*ck
    b. Used by students and people with paperwork
    c. Has ready demand
    d. Has room for some change, as early marketing approaches of competitors look tired

I'm currently figuring out what to do this week, should the tests come positive. I'm feeling a bit nervous of meeting suppliers, getting samples, calling up an Upwork engineer to get me a redesign modification....well, I'll figure how to make them timely.

Last week, I spent some time on meetups to build up contacts and a local support group ....AND I ENDED UP IN A NETWORK MARKETING SCHEME

Here's how it happened:
    I went to a small meetup at a coffee shop, courtesy of meetup.com.

Met an e-commerce guy and his older accountant friend.
    Strange thing was that the guy kept REAL quiet throughout the session, although it was he that was organizing the event. His other friend did a lot of the talking. Mostly shared tales on his accounting career, informal tuition classes and small IT gigs that he did long ago.

Out of the blue, the e-commerce guy invited me to attend some 'business opportunity' coming up in the next few days.

I thought it might be something fishy, but I decided to go just to know about him more.

I was given the address to a nice hall, where I met his friend, Mr G.
    Mr.G was very polite and ushered me to a seat. Oddly, the e-commerce guy didn't pop by.

The hall was filled with young working adults. The kind that struggles with job stress and challenges.

Speakers came up, and red flags starting waving in my head when I heard the words'Amway', 'Diamond' and 'passive income' peppered throughout the speeches. I thought of getting the hell out of there, but decided to have some respect for them.

So I stayed on until the end, which wasn't very long.

Mr. G took me aside and offered to help me learn more about this 'opportunity'. I decided to humour him, so he started talking about how the Amway business model worked

I used to think network marketing was wiped off the face of the earth, but now it seems it has put ONLINE BIZ into the equation with some scheme called Network 21. All other mechanisms like inviting (harassing?) friends to buy your stuff still apply. Then another guy, Mr.W and an accountant (lol), Ms. E popped in to chime in.

3 folks against 1? Huh?

Finally, I had to put my foot down.

I asked them 2 questions:
    - How many products have you all sold PERIOD.
    - Do you have control over your products? If a customer hates a product, can you do anything about it? Make it better?

Instead of giving me clear answers, the geezers got Ms. E to REPEAT the entire explanation of the model, with numbers that might as well as well be imaginary.

Then Ms.E popped out a form and asked me for my name.

'What's that form?' I asked. I looked at it, and to my horror, it was a registration form for me to join the network.

'I didn't say yes to it.' I said.

'But you seemed rather positive to it.' she said.

'I didn't say yes.' I repeated. Then I excused myself, bid them goodnight, and left briskly.

Later, the e-commerce guy called me up on it, and I told him it wasn't real entrepreneurship to rely on some company for your bread and butter. 'Noted.' he said. Queer guy.

Hopefully, I won't run into such sh*t again. A bit frightening to experience some of the MLM tales on this forum firsthand. Thank goodness I didn't pay for any if their upsells at the event (RM200-ish for an upcoming seminar and DVDs-enough to test my product lol?)- but the Grabride was surprisingly an eater.

EDIT: I should open a new thread lol. This thread was pretty negative ...let's have some fresh wind, shall we? :p

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 11:28 PM
    sparechange and MJ DeMarco like this.
  6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $315,342
    Admin Post
    Ugh, so sorry you had to go through this! Strong work on the escape!

ZF Lee likes this.
  7. ZF Lee

Rep Bank:
    $6,456
    Thanks @MJ DeMarco. Grateful for the support.

I definitely will. Thankfully, I was not robbed or murdered or anything like that in that dubious meetup lol. That's one thing to be happy about.

I didn't get to launch the test site as planned, after finding a sh*t ton of material on Stratygyzer on perfecting marketing testing. A few pages into reading, turns out the way I am querying the market is too general.

A big bummer, but at least I saved myself some dough and time on some stuff that could go wrong.

I'm kind of worried on TIMING of the tests. Like, how long should each test last? A week? Two days?

The Reddit posts seem to just take 2 days for much of the input to flow in, then the later comments trickle in by the dripful. For e-commerce landing pages, I'll have to see.

Disturbingly, I only put the queries in r/Malaysia, not in Reddit as an international or niched audience. I'm wondering if the locals are less expressive on market feedback, compared to the more vocal Westerners.

For my product, I don't think I can sell on Lazada, the equivalent of Amazon here. Shitty customer service, bad reviews arrangement, bad sellers management. Also a f*cking hoard of thieves. I spotted ripoffs of Mary Kay stuff on there. Although Mary Kay is a network marketing company, its products are good, and it makes me a bit angry to see great products being sold without dues paid to the biz.

I do remember some businesses that didn't rely on Amazon to sell stuff, such as Dollar Shave Club. Amazon would have killed off their efforts anyway lol.

I'll see what else I need to do tomorrow to patch up the ship.

I've arranged hopefully some better meetups. A money planning group and an e-commerce one. They had at least 5 people joining up, and they seem to be regulars too, judging from past records on the meetup.com app. I should have taken that as a more solid assurance of quality.

8. sparechange

sparechange Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,795
    just run facebook & instagram ads, see how much interest there is in the product & then if its positive you can sell it

but if the reddit input is negative most likely you are dealing with another me-too product

ive been to an MLM myself, a coworker mentioned some event of a free fiance class so i thought ok cool maybe this would be helpful, oh never mind its a group to sell life insurance and sign up for a fee LOL #cya

ZF Lee likes this.