The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just Started A Lawn Care Business (First Business)

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024
Hey Yall, my name is Zachary Terry and I’m a new entrepreneur. I’ve been wanting to start my own buisness for about a decade now, and finally started in April, right before my 30th birthday. I’ve listened to the audiobook of The Millionaire Fast Lane, Unscripted , and Unscripted : The Great Rat Race Escape while I was a long haul trucker. I love what MJ talks about, but I need more!
I’m glad I found MJ, because I’m about to pull my hair out hearing from gurus everytime I‘m trying to learn solid buisness advice. I have several certificates from Cardone U, and was on the site for I think about 3 months, years ago. I learned some good advice here and there from Grant Cardone, but I feel like I need more knowledge. I don’t want to pay Cardone another $97 a month just for something I can learn for free or that’s available in a book for way less money.
I welcome any advice yall have for me. Specifically, I need advice on customer acquisition, marketing, how to scale, or anything else you think I should know. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to the responses. Lastly, I only have 1 customer and need a bigger client base fast.

Sincerely,
Zachary Terry

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
but @ZCP how do i get 25 customers.
yep.

1000 calls, 1000 door knocks, 10000 flyers, $100 in fb ads, 1000 connections made, 1000 businesses visited
get 25 paying customers as fast as possible.

you got this.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why did you settle on lawncare? Idea stage? First customers? Where are you located?

Welcome aboard.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hey Yall, my name is Zachary Terry and I’m a new entrepreneur. I’ve been wanting to start my own buisness for about a decade now, and finally started in April, right before my 30th birthday. I’ve listened to the audiobook of The Millionaire Fast Lane, Unscripted , and Unscripted : The Great Rat Race Escape while I was a long haul trucker. I love what MJ talks about, but I need more!
I’m glad I found MJ, because I’m about to pull my hair out hearing from gurus everytime I‘m trying to learn solid buisness advice. I have several certificates from Cardone U, and was on the site for I think about 3 months, years ago. I learned some good advice here and there from Grant Cardone, but I feel like I need more knowledge. I don’t want to pay Cardone another $97 a month just for something I can learn for free or that’s available in a book for way less money.
I welcome any advice yall have for me. Specifically, I need advice on customer acquisition, marketing, how to scale, or anything else you think I should know. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to the responses. Lastly, I only have 1 customer and need a bigger client base fast.

Sincerely,
Zachary Terry
Make flyers and hand out 1000.

That's how I got my first customers in my local home service business. If you want some tips on good flyer design, I can send you the basics here.

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024
Welcome @Zachary Terry

Get 25 customers.
Study @Johnny boy
Come back when you hit $100k revenue.
Don't make it any harder than it needs to be.
Fail fast.
You got this!
Hey ZCP,
Thanks for the advice, will do. Funny you mention Johnny Boy, I stumbled on his posts when I took a look around the site. I’ll go back and see what I can learn.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Reach out to him and go work for him for free for two months. Change your life.

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024
Why did you settle on lawncare? Idea stage? First customers? Where are you located?

Welcome aboard.
Hey Mr. DeMarco, What a pleasure to hear from you directly. When I read your books I was interested in what I think you called a Software system over a human resource system, but with my skill set and background in lawn care, I thought this would be an easier start, and then grow into bigger things from there. At this point, I would like to take this lawn care business and use it to buy multi family real estate like Apartment complexes in the future.
I’m just unsure what idea will really launch me to the next phase of my life. I tried the vlogging thing (Failed Slow, whoops), did Background Acting, I made it on 4 pictures, but was not worth going to acting classes do to the unpredictability of income, etc. I have thrown a bunch of crap on the wall and nothing had stuck yet.
I live in Warrenton, GA and I grew up a couple miles outside of Wrens, GA. A couple goals of mine is: Never work for a boss again, (Just my customers) and to be as wealthly as possible. My jobs over the years: Groundsman for a tree service company, Landscape Maintenance Tech (4 years), Janitor (1.5 years), and Long Haul Truck Driver (5 Years). I’m looking forward to any advice you have for me Mr. DeMarco, and thanks for all the information you have put out for the rest of us trying to make it.

Sincerely,
Zachary Terry

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024
Make flyers and hand out 1000.

That's how I got my first customers in my local home service business. If you want some tips on good flyer design, I can send you the basics here.
Thanks for the advice. Later this week I should have most of my marketing materials from Vista Print. I difently plan to start hitting the ground hard and doing some cold visits. I did put a few cards out already, but I had to hand write in the info on the back of an old card of mine ( Tacky, but it gets the word out).
If you want to send me your design tips, I would appreciate it. I feel I have a decent eye for design, but I’m always willing to learn.

~Zachary Terry~

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
you've got milledgeville in one direction (lake homes, boats, etc.)
athens in the the other (school, apartment complexes, businesses)
and augusta in the other (houses)

who is currently doing what you want to do in the area?
go work for them / partner with them til you get a hang for it

no reason to do this on your own until you figure out what you are doing. then buy them out

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024
you've got milledgeville in one direction (lake homes, boats, etc.)
athens in the the other (school, apartment complexes, businesses)
and augusta in the other (houses)

who is currently doing what you want to do in the area?
go work for them / partner with them til you get a hang for it

no reason to do this on your own until you figure out what you are doing. then buy them out
That is true! There is a-lot a potential around this area, but going back to work for someone else goes against one major reason I’m starting this thing, Independence. I have worked for several lawn care companys when I lived in SC in my late teens and early 20s.
When I was with those guys, I soaked up as much knowledge as I could for about 4 years. I was able to get one manager to actually tell me his prices on properties in the Country Club, which helped me formulate my prices today. Buy someone out? Not on the horizon for me.
I’m wanting to use this to allow me to scale up to investing in Apartment complexes, make a few Christian movies, and continue on making Christian music. The lawn care buisness and eventualy real estate investing are the solid plays I’m working on, while messing around with my pet projects of making Christian Pop music and one day Christian movies. I know I need the cash flow first before I can devote more time into creative / artsy stuff.

*I’m a bit long winded with my posts* ha ha.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Why do you say buy someone out is not on the horizon for you?

check out cody sanchez

just my opinion = there is so much opportunity in businesses w/ no succession plan that you would be a fool to start from scratch. it is a LOT of work getting up and going. seller finance that part and jump start directly into being able to make your music

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024

check out cody sanchez

just my opinion = there is so much opportunity in businesses w/ no succession plan that you would be a fool to start from scratch. it is a LOT of work getting up and going. seller finance that part and jump start directly into being able to make your music
Well, it seems a bit out of my league, and I’m the type of person that prefers to built a movement from scratch, but I’ll keep my mind open.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Thanks for the advice. Later this week I should have most of my marketing materials from Vista Print. I difently plan to start hitting the ground hard and doing some cold visits. I did put a few cards out already, but I had to hand write in the info on the back of an old card of mine ( Tacky, but it gets the word out).
If you want to send me your design tips, I would appreciate it. I feel I have a decent eye for design, but I’m always willing to learn.

~Zachary Terry~

Here is my design that got me ~8 Customers per 1000 Flyers.

It's in German, so you'll have to translate the text if you want to see the type of thing I was writing. Chances are, you're not a student so replace that with something else that makes people motivated to pay you/your company.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Zachary Terry you have built multiple successful companies from scratch?
maybe read / study and SEE if out of your league.

what you do not know / understand should be reveled in, not avoided.
welcome to entrepreneurship!

gather all the data. weight it based on where it comes from. make your decision. fail fast. pivot.

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024

Here is my design that got me ~8 Customers per 1000 Flyers.

It's in German, so you'll have to translate the text if you want to see the type of thing I was writing. Chances are, you're not a student so replace that with something else that makes people motivated to pay you/your company.
Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Zachary Terry

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 26, 2024
@Zachary Terry you have built multiple successful companies from scratch?
maybe read / study and SEE if out of your league.

what you do not know / understand should be reveled in, not avoided.
welcome to entrepreneurship!

gather all the data. weight it based on where it comes from. make your decision. fail fast. pivot.
No, I have not created multiple companys from scratch. Just talking theoretically here about my mindset. I completly get what your saying, and will take it to heart. I appreachite you holding my feet to the fire here!

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Dec 9, 2016

check out cody sanchez

We made an offer today to take over a window cleaning company.

5 staff members
300k turnover
0€ profit

Our offer 20k

We can use the staff well + the region fits well with our current region.

Why is someone selling this for 20k ?
Stress
Anxiety
Too much debt
No profit

It can be done and its easier than it looks

Most important factor = Motivated seller !

thecrusher

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 8, 2016

~Zachary Terry~

Design is less important than your offer. And by offer, I don't mean discounts (although that can be your offer). Its essentially what you're going to do for someone for them to give you money. I've been meaning to write a post on offers for a while now, but if you want a quick guide on what to do.

Head over to postcard mania (Landscaping Marketing Case Studies | Landscaping Marketing Ideas) and check out case studies of postcard campaigns they've run for similar businesses, look at what everyone is pitching.

You'll notice a lot are offering FREE quotes (obvious, but still), but I think the best ones offer something more than that.

1. Direct Mail Advertising | Postcard Printing | Hauser, ID - clear pricing on specific services
2. Direct Mail Advertising, Postcard Printing, Aiken, SC - free liquid aeration
3. Direct Mail Advertising, Postcard Printing, Hershey, PA - free first visit

Tonnes of good ideas over there, and you don't overcomplicate it.

That said, if I was to start a lawn care business, my first test offer would be based on a low fixed price first service to get my foot in the door and get a great review.

Aim to make as small of a profit as I can stomach on the first visit, do a good job, get the review and at the end of the first visit, upsell them on subscription maintenance package, failing that downsell them on scheduling the next visit.

Also, lawn care is noisy, so lets say you go to 101 Main Road, well you're going to make noise that might annoy 101 +/- 5 (depending on the size of the properties).

So my second test offer would be to write some letters with my companies letterhead saying something along the lines of "Hey 102/103/etc, We'll be doing yard work at 101 on the DATE, I apologise in advance for any disruption. To make up for this, I'm happy to offer you a free quote and X% discount on your lawn care, I can drop by after I'm done on the DATE, feel free to text me if you're interested". Send those out a few days before to give the homeowners time to read and decide.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.