The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey to unscripted land

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
In this thread,my journey to unscripted will be documented.

Found this place almost two years back and read millionaire fastlane around that time as well.I was committed but sadly not to the process but to the event of making it happen in easy way. Up until recently I couldn't recognized myself as an action faker. If there is an award for action faking then it is mine.Yes I did that much of action faking.It was a great lesson for me anyway.It goes into my wisdom nuggets.

As of for how am I going to break this habit action faking, I am going to take massive action towards the destination I am committed to move thus committing to the process this time.My destination is the land of extra ordinary and unscripted .

During last year I found a problem that I went on to solve but me being a stupid- event driven mindset wantrepreneur, I stopped the process and revert back to the next shiny object and guess what? My progress as an entrepreneur isn't that much.And this problem that I had found still bothers me a lot.Yes this was a problem I had and still I have it.It is this problem I am going to solve this time.Hell or high water I am going to make it happen.

Last year when I went on to solve this problem, I hadn't read the Unscripted book which is the only book I need as an entrepreneur and the one which I will constantly refer to in this journey.

So does this abide by C.E.N.T.S ? Let's see.

Control : Yes, this solution can be offered at more than one place.Since it is a software related solution, the solution could be offered at many places. And there will be no one person or one something that could kick me out of the business.Anyway here I have zero to minimum amount of risk as the solution is a software solution.

Entry : Absolutely YES. Unknown variables barricading the barriers are plentiful and what I have to learn to develop this solution is definitely going to give me an absolute hard time entering to space.It's because of its difficulty I got the shiny object syndrome last time and pulled myself out.But now I know that more difficult it is to create something, better the opportunity is and that with process-law I can achieve anything.

Need : Yes this is a real problem and I am one of the human in the target group as well.Last time I did a survey and it was pretty clear that there was a problem that needed to be solved.
As of for value attributes for my product, I am still brainstorming them.As I myself have this problem I know most of the attributes.

Time : Absolutely.Since this is a software solution I don't need to worry about this that much. As long as I add value to people this commandment will be satisfied.Once the productocracy is achieved I have nothing to worry about this

Scale : Majority of the world have this problem.The solution is helpful for people living in many continents.Law of affection could be achieved as long as I add relative value and tap into the productocracy.

Along with this I am doing freelancing in upwork which again halted due to my action faking.So I got to start that as well.With value vouchers I attract from there I could have good enough money system that could help me to pay my bills.Still I am living with my parents and doing an associate course in software development which I started this year.And yes I am pretty much broke.

So my next step is poking the market which could be done by creating a non-functional mock prototype.

At the current moment I know only very basic of programming.But with growth mindset and enough consistent work, I could develop the prototype by the end of this year.

Thanks for tuning in

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Value attributes pertaining to this product has been brain stormed but not all the attributes are found.There are plenty to be skewed.During this week I'll be in constant search of value attributes related to this.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
I don't mean to step on your toes, but isn't brainstorming >= 1 week considered action-faking too? Shouldn't you be programming, figuring stuff out as you go?

I don't know what you're doing so i might aswell be wrong. Just thought i'd provoke some thoughts on your end.

Best of luck!

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
I don't mean to step on your toes, but isn't brainstorming >= 1 week considered action-faking too? Shouldn't you be programming, figuring stuff out as you go?

I don't know what you're doing so i might aswell be wrong. Just thought i'd provoke some thoughts on your end.

Best of luck!

Well, it isn't brainstorming for whole day.It's just brainstorming as you go.

I am well aware of action faking but sometimes my stupid brain tries to trick me into the sweet short term fleeting feel good stuffs.But I am far from getting deceived from it.

Anyway thanks for the little remainder brother.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Next step of this journey is to create a non functional mock prototype.Though I have enough proof through Google adwords planning tool, I am going to develop a mock prototype in order to interact with the market-mind to get insight from them which could be used to develop my functional prototype.

Along with that I am going to learn to code by building what I want this time not by reading programming books as I tried to do last time, a good lesson though anyway

Enough of action faking had been done just by starting courses and just sifting through the course to have that feel good moment.

At the moment knowledge of HTML,CSS are known also a little bit of javascript Java and Python(fruits of action faking lol) . Target is to build a cross platform prototype that saves time and money for me.To build this software,knowledge of databases is needed of which again a little is known.The associate degree I am doing also helps in terms of laying the foundation for software development which it in fact did.But in terms of developing this software I have to research through internet and solve the problem ahead of me so that I can stop myself getting caught in action faking like I did in last time

So the next step is to engage the market through a mock prototype so that I could gain bit of insight to develop the prototype.There is a need exists but to develop the prototype I have to know few things. In addition to these I have to learn marketing stuffs which again I know a little thanks to action faking lol.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Drilled down most of the value attributes and now I am expanding my imagination to skew them.

And am heading towards to creating wire-frames for the specific screens and creating the soft proof using the adobe xd. After that testing it with people from target market.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Three months have gone by from the day I posted my last post.

I have stopped the action faking that I was doing and have slowly started getting traction.

Before going for major league , I should play the minor ones. So, that 's exactly what I have been doing this past month. Starting from where I am and proceeding from that place; that's what I have been doing for past month or so.

It feels great to transit from a money chaser to value adder.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
My plan was to complete the prototype by the end of this year. But oh boy, learning to code isn't easy(it's good that it's not easy). Yes I am doing an associate degree in software development. But just because you attend the lectures and do what they said you to do, you ain't going to learn it unless you do something on your own.

So after three months, I've learnt C programming to a good extent that I could program some complex programs. All the fundamentals of programming are thoroughly known to my brain. After learning C to this level, I could pretty much grasp any language as long as I learn the syntax correctly. Sql and database stuffs are not difficult anymore as well

The journey ahead is filled with darkness. Only my light could clear up that darkness. I am my own saviour.

I am going to do this. That arduous process will be documented here. A year from now, this thread will be filled with my tribulations and wins. I know that it requires a true commitment to make this happen. I am damn sure I have it, because I've a long list of CORE WHYs and I've found my true meaning & purpose(Thanks MJ!). Mj's Unscripted book will be my compass in this journey.

If any of you are following this thread. Then here's a bit about me; I never really introduced myself properly! So that you could understand bit about the guy who writes this thread.

Coming from a developing country, I always wanted to know how on earth can I get rich.Yup you read it right, I am from a developing country .But I've been fortunate enough to born into two great souls who helped me to immerse myself in my own crazy world, which is why I am here in the first place.

And for me to find this forum, to find MJ's books and to realize that I have a CHOICE is just freaking amazing. I've found this place because of a process! I dabbled around all the things that I could do to earn money online. Years into the wrong process, I knew I was doing something wrong. After that my quest to find "How to get rich" kicked in. I search through all over the internet. Then, I've found this place two years back.And let me tell you, this place changed me.

That's it for now. Gotta get back into work.

Thanks for the time.

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
My plan was to complete the prototype by the end of this year. But oh boy, learning to code isn't easy(it's good that it's not easy). Yes I am doing an associate degree in software development. But just because you attend the lectures and do what they said you to do, you ain't going to learn it unless you do something on your own.

Why didn’t you learn to program by building your prototype?

@Danny Sullivan asked you about action faking FOUR MONTHS AGO and you still don’t have a working prototype or MVP that you can test on real people?

I obviously don’t know any details, but if you don’t have anything to show after four months, then you are still action faking.

How about you make a concise list of what you’ve accomplished since July, then follow with a short list of what you will accomplish in December. Then tell us what you will do TODAY, then go do it. Come back and check off your lists as you complete things.

You can still have a working prototype by Dec 31. Not necessarily the full product, but something that a real person can visit and try out. Then you can get feedback that validates your idea or helps you shift direction.

Start building!

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
you still don’t have a working prototype or MVP that you can test on real people?

It is still not fully developed. So yeah, to be absolutely honest, there is no complete prototype yet. As of for a mock prototype I've decided that there is no need of creating a mock prototype, because the PROBLEM exists. I've had enough validation just with words. As I mentioned above, I am one in the target group and I had many other people complaining about it. So I am 100% sure the problem exists.But, I understand what you said. I must build a working prototype and see how it goes.

Thank you for your advice. I'll start building it and take meaningful action

D

Deleted50669

Impressed with your action @MB2

I'm curious, why did you choose the C route? Whether you're doing native or web based app, C is a rough selection unless you really need something that level of performance. Of course, that's not my wheelhouse, I'm focused on MEAN stack. But just wondering what criteria you used to go with C.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
why did you choose the C route?

Four months ago, I never knew what true programming really was. Sure I've dabbled around HTML and CSS and I know them more than what I know in other languages. But until recently I've never truly done any proper programming. In last year also, I wanted to learn C thus learn fundamentals of programming; but, I stopped doing it.

Once you learn C, you can grasp any other language, well, at least for me! In addition to that, I wanted to be really good at fundamentals of programming.

Before you drive, you gotta know what all those components in your car do. So that's why I chose C. C really teaches you what's going underneath the shell.

As for this prototype, I'll do it in Java because I will do it for android native environment first as most of my users will be using android. But later I could go for ios and other platforms.

D

Deleted50669

Four months ago, I never knew what true programming really was. Sure I've dabbled around HTML and CSS and I know them more than what I know in other languages. But until recently I've never truly done any proper programming. In last year also, I wanted to learn C thus learn fundamentals of programming; but, I stopped doing it.

Once you learn C, you can grasp any other language, well, at least for me! In addition to that, I wanted to be really good at fundamentals of programming.

Before you drive, you gotta know what all those components in your car do. So that's why I chose C. C really teaches you what's going underneath the shell.

As for this prototype, I'll do it in Java because I will do it for android native environment first as most of my users will be using android. But later I could go for ios and other platforms.

That definitely makes sense. I commend you for starting with the roots.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Walking in the desert of desertion, I am realizing what true entrepreneurship is. My visualized product requires one heck of a technical know-hows. But it doesn't matter because I am going to solve this problem by problem.

I have to admit that I've never built a full software; only command line programs and front-end of websites.
Anyway, I am up for the challenge. It is all about solving the problem in front of me. Now that I've verified the soft proof for this problem, my next step is building the prototype(hard-proof) and officially getting into the business by registering a suitable business entity for this and yeah releasing the hard proof as well. By engaging in the process daily, I will be able to accomplish it within a year from now.

So what am I currently doing? At this moment, I am doing the wire framing required for this.

Along with this I am freelancing in Upwork as well.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Happy new year for anyone who follows my progress thread.

So how far have I progressed?

I've completed the wire frames for the prototype.

I am actually completely lost in the desert but I know that I am moving towards the correct destination. The software that I am going to build is a user base app, which means it is not a SAAS or any other solution with high Magnitude. This is going to be a solution that has its law of affection in Scale.

As this is a user base app, I got to have some willing fellow humans who would be there to use it when I release the software. Building a user base app without having any initial users is going to be a futile effort. Either you have to have thousands of dollars to deploy for marketing or you have to have good number of people from the beginning, at least a thousand.

How do I solve that problem? Well, I have created a group in facebook for this purpose and it is growing as well.

As you can see entry barriers are extremely high and it is no way an easy task.

The user base app that I am gonna create is an extremely complex app. Along with it, I am planing to create few other apps having less technical barriers but add value and bring more users to the user base app.

I know that this thread seems more like an idea oriented guy who just posts for fun and do mental whacking. But, trust me it is not. I am reading related things and figuring out how to go about this.

I feel as if I have lived whole my life to solve this problem!

Have a good day folks.

NeatStranger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
I am enjoying reading about your journey, i feel as though I am in the same boat as you. I am currently working on a web service. I am looking forward to reading your journey. I also know quite a few languages if you need any help with anything Web based or otherwise.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
I am enjoying reading about your journey, i feel as though I am in the same boat as you. I am currently working on a web service. I am looking forward to reading your journey. I also know quite a few languages if you need any help with anything Web based or otherwise.

Hey glad to hear that you are enjoying what I 'm documenting.

My main skill that I've acquired over the past 3-5 years is online marketing. Along with that I have taught myself HTML and CSS during that time as well. However, the software that I am gonna create is a mobile app.As I said, it's an extremely complex app; but, I am anyway going from the bottom. Now I am just getting feel of android studio.

So my fellow fastlaner,have you done any mobile apps?

I am going to do this anyway, whether I like it or not. Entrepreneurship is my life!

NeatStranger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
Hey glad to hear that you are enjoying what I 'm documenting.

My main skill that I've acquired over the past 3-5 years is online marketing. Along with that I have taught myself HTML and CSS during that time as well. However, the software that I am gonna create is a mobile app.As I said, it's an extremely complex app; but, I am anyway going from the bottom. Now I am just getting feel of android studio.

So my fellow fastlaner,have you done any mobile apps?

I am going to do this anyway, whether I like it or not. Entrepreneurship is my life!
I don't have any on the App store, but I know iOS/Swift really well. I picked it up last year as a hobby. Good job!

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
I don't have any on the App store, but I know iOS/Swift really well. I picked it up last year as a hobby. Good job!

How did you do the design for the front end? Did you use UI tools and implement it using code or?

From the knowledge I've gathered up, what I can conclude is this; first you have to design the UI and then you have to implement it to the front end using the code.Is that the case?

I am good on design because I know CSS; but, how can you do it in mobile?

NeatStranger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
How did you do the design for the front end? Did you use UI tools and implement it using code or?

From the knowledge I've gathered up, what I can conclude is this; first you have to design the UI and then you have to implement it to the front end using the code.Is that the case?

Well with Swift/XCode you have the option to build things using a drag and drop(Storyboard), or you can just call the elements from the code and place them on the screen programatically. For most of the mundane things I just use the Storyboard as its faster, but there are certain more complex functions that require the use of the program to add elements to the UI.

As far as my design process. I would use a service to design the mockups, of how I wanted the app to flow, then I would take the time to build all the elements in Xcode and link them back to the actual code/software. Then after I had all of my app transitions, and elements. I would start working on the backend. I used Google's Firebase for the backend, so NodeJS and NoSQL.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
As far as my design process. I would use a service to design the mockups, of how I wanted the app to flow, then I would take the time to build all the elements in Xcode and link them back to the actual code/software. Then after I had all of my app transitions, and elements. I would start working on the backend. I used Google's Firebase for the backend, so NodeJS and NoSQL.

You first create the mockups and user-flow.

After that how could you implement the design to the mobile front-end?

NeatStranger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
You first create the mockups and user-flow.

After that how could you implement the design to the mobile front-end?
Then I would use XCode's Storyboard feature and drag and drop everything up. I'm not sure for android studio though.

D

Deleted50669

I'll weigh in also. Doing a ui design and a basic data flow before coding is highly recommended. If you only do planning for the front end without the back end you may run into non-trivial reword once you understand the requirements for your server / database. I understand it is tempting to get coding, but I caution you so you don't waste more time than you need to - do as much planning as you can for the whole app before coding. There are things you'll discover from the backend that will influence how you build the front end (e.g., user authentication, content rendering, etc.). Just my two cents.

NeatStranger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
Phoenix Arizona
I'll weigh in also. Doing a ui design and a basic data flow before coding is highly recommended. If you only do planning for the front end without the back end you may run into non-trivial reword once you understand the requirements for your server / database. I understand it is tempting to get coding, but I caution you so you don't waste more time than you need to - do as much planning as you can for the whole app before coding. There are things you'll discover from the backend that will influence how you build the front end (e.g., user authentication, content rendering, etc.). Just my two cents.
I completely agree. I have had to change the entire workflow of a web app because I thought it would work one way and it didn't so I had to redo it. Working through the UI in its entirety on paper or computer beforehand helps with this immensely.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016

Hey thank you for chiming in.

I must admit that, I've never done any complex apps like this. This is completely new for me. Regardless, I'm going to do this, because I honestly see a huge opportunity. More than that, in the process of creating this, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have one heck of knowledge in creating a complex software.

As I've never created any app whatsoever, my plan is to develop few apps that still valuable to the market that I'm targeting but doesn't require complex topics like databases and other things. But I'm going to do it along with building my main app, the user base one.

This is a long journey which is ineluctable for me to avoid. This is what I've chosen. Entrepreneurship is the only path for me. So I'm going to do this anyway!!

D

Deleted50669

Hey thank you for chiming in.

I must admit that, I've never done any complex apps like this. This is completely new for me. Regardless, I'm going to do this, because I honestly see a huge opportunity. More than that, in the process of creating this, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have one heck of knowledge in creating a complex software.

As I've never created any app whatsoever, my plan is to develop few apps that still valuable to the market that I'm targeting but doesn't require complex topics like databases and other things. But I'm going to do it along with building my main app, the user base one.

This is a long journey which is ineluctable for me to avoid. This is what I've chosen. Entrepreneurship is the only path for me. So I'm going to do this anyway!!
That's the path I'm on, and you will learn a lot fast. Just don't give up when it gets shitty (and sometimes it will).

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
It should get sh*tty otherwise it ain't worth it. My background is mostly marketing and bit of front end web development, some knowledge in true programming(all self-taught), so there's a huge learning curve to make this happen. This journey will anyway going to help me in long run.

I'd like to know your story. Do you have a progress thread?? @404profound

Last edited:

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A little update: I feel like I've lost in dark not knowing where to move: something need to be changed. I'll figure that out.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
Mind is really the battlefield for success. With correct mindset, nothing is impossible. Correct mindset is simply the mindset of "Taking action/Just do it mentality" Of course after planing! It's ready,aim and fire. Not ready, aim and cower!

For last two months, I was having the "momentum paralysis" and "Change adversity" :I was focusing more on freelancing and less on carrying out this execution, so that's momentum paralysis. Also, I wasn't focusing more on the programming part (which is this software solution)because the sh*t is not easy.My scripted mind tries to find shortcuts again. But, not anymore can it coax me!

Solution? Well, I gotta be more logical here. So what's the worse could happen by doing this? Absolutely nothing. In fact, this is going to contribute to a massive growth in my life.

I just simply have to choose the choice to take the repeated and consistent action. So yeah, it's time to get back on to the most important aspect.

Intax

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2016
Munich, Germany
Hey @MB2

I really enjoyed your thread. You can be proud of yourself for taking such consistent action. Also I'm impressed by your ability and willingness to incorporate in such complex matter without any feedback from customers. Furthermore it is a good thought to already build a potential customer base by creating and optaining the Facebook group.

In the next paragraph I will share with you some thoughts which came to my mind reading your thread. At first I will remind you of MJs guideline from Unscripted :

x To be able to launch as quickly as possible you should follow the QUICKEST and cheapest path to your first customer

I have the feeling you are trying to build your perfect product. But YOU CAN NOT PREDICT THE MARKETMIND. Build the simplest product possibly which provides enough value to attract customers. But not more. You will add and adjust as described in Unscripted after you have engaged with the marketmind. It will guide you how you should develop your product.

So maybe simplify your product to launch it as fast as possible.

Keep up the good work and stay tuned!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.