The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you read THE GREAT RAT RACE ESCAPE , please post here!

I'm happy to announce that my next full length book (444 pages, 16 hours Audible) is now available with a release date of Tuesday June 29th, 2021.

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

UNSCRIPTED - The Great Rat Race Escape : From Wage Slavery to Wealth, How to Start a Purpose Driven Business and Win Financial Freedom for a Lifetime
(Yes, really long but I was able to get to work on the cover!)

By all appearances, Jeff and Samantha Trotman are living the American Dream. But behind the white picket fence, they endure an American Nightmare. With little time for each other, a pile of debt, and Ferrari taste on a Ford budget, the ruse of affluence is killing them. Two respectable jobs and a lovely suburban house paint a pretty picture, but behind the ink is a broken marriage rife with meaningless work and dead dreams. And now, with an unplanned pregnancy, they’re facing a mid-life crisis twenty years early.

With little time and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were living, but they weren’t alive. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotmans plot a rat-race escape—only to find themselves more thickly in it.

As tensions rise and hope fades, follow along step-by-step as the Trotmans pivot to a new strategy and a new career: starting a business as entrepreneurs.

While they navigate their journey, you’ll learn 120 wealth-building strategies and principles that your mainstream financial guru won’t dare reveal—actionable concepts that will help you profit your way into the Unscripted 1%, an emerging economic class of entrepreneurs who enjoy a lifetime of freedom emancipated from miserly living and Wall Street's "save, pray, and wait" paradigm. Discover how one family escapes the rat-race grind and wins a lifetime of financial freedom, leaving behind the tyranny of meaningless jobs and mediocre living— and how you can too.

• The Bad Math Principle: Why most people will never escape the rat-race, much less earn financial freedom.
  • The 1/5/10 Strategy: How this one simple exercise will unearth your ultimate dream life while establishing a decision framework for its reality
  • The Honeypot Principle: Why the financial media's "invest a $100/mo for 40 years in indexed-funds" narrative is part of the same rat-race scheme, just a different side of the same rigged coin.
  • The Dual Change Strategy: The two divergent sides of change and how it can make you a fortune.
  • The Value Skew Strategy: How to find literally 1000s of business ideas and why you never need to "disrupt" or invent anything new or novel.
  • The Millionaire Payday Strategy: How to spot opportunities to hire yourself and earn an instant millionaire-making income.
  • The Cinderella Principle: Why starting a business based on a cultural trend or a fad is a horrible idea.
  • The Perseverance Strategy: Never struggle with motivation again; the four necessary ingredients to tap into unlimited motivation and determination, regardless of the obstacles in your way.
  • The Triangulated Value Strategy: Learn how to never quit three-feet from gold: The 3-pronged strategy in maximizing marketing yields while also illuminating the "quit or continue" decision.
  • and over 110+ more!
Don’t let the rat-race and its co-conspirators proclaim your life as non-essential. Don’t let the rat-race entice you to save your life away for the promise of an elderly retirement. Don’t let the rat-race lull you into a tedious existence medicated by television, video games, and trivial sporting events.

Go Unscripted , escape the rat-race, and win your happily-ever-after.

##### DOWNLOAD SAMPLE CHAPTERS
>>> If you'd like to download the first 40 pages, visit here.
1620872613.png

Amazon-com-New-Releases-The-best-selling-new-future-releases-in-Personal-Finance.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jun 17, 2013
I read the first 40 last night @MJ DeMarco

Great stuff and I can’t wait to read the rest. I like the format.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I read the first 40 pages today and the whole time I was comparing it to my life and what I'm currently going through. I can't wait to read the entire book! I'm going to start with the paper copy and eventually purchase it on Audible.

If I'm already on the list, will I get access to an advanced copy as well? Or do I have to sign up additionally on the link?

FYI, there is an error on page 24. The very last line that says, "realized" should be "realize."

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Celebrate REAL INDEPENDENCE on your INDEPENDENCE DAY weekend.

I'm happy to announce that my next full length book (444 pages, 13 hours Audible) is now up for pre-release with a release date of Tuesday June 29th, 2021.

##### SUMMARY

UNSCRIPTED - The Great Rat Race Escape : From Wage Slavery to Wealth, How to Start a Purpose Driven Business and Win Financial Freedom for a Lifetime

By all appearances, Jeff and Samantha Trotman are living the American Dream. But behind the white picket fence, they endure an American Nightmare. With little time for each other, a pile of debt, and Ferrari taste on a Ford budget, the ruse of affluence is killing them. Two respectable jobs and a lovely suburban house paint a pretty picture, but behind the ink is a broken marriage rife with meaningless work and dead dreams. And now, with an unplanned pregnancy, they’re facing a mid-life crisis twenty years early.

With little time and looming bankruptcy, the Trotmans are forced to face the red-pill truth they long denied: They were living, but they weren’t alive. Determined to resurrect their life and their marriage, the Trotmans plot a rat-race escape—only to find themselves more thickly in it.

As tensions rise and hope fades, follow along step-by-step as the Trotmans pivot to a new strategy and a new career: starting a business as entrepreneurs.

While they navigate their journey, you’ll learn 120 wealth-building strategies and principles that your mainstream financial guru won’t dare reveal—actionable concepts that will help you profit your way into the Unscripted 1%, an emerging economic class of entrepreneurs who enjoy a lifetime of freedom emancipated from miserly living and Wall Street's "save, pray, and wait" paradigm. Discover how one family escapes the rat-race grind and wins a lifetime of financial freedom, leaving behind the tyranny of meaningless jobs and mediocre living— and how you can too.

• The Bad Math Principle: Why most people will never escape the rat-race, much less earn financial freedom.
  • The 1/5/10 Strategy: How this one simple exercise will unearth your ultimate dream life while establishing a decision framework for its reality
  • The Honeypot Principle: Why the financial media's "invest a $100/mo for 40 years in indexed-funds" narrative is part of the same rat-race scheme, just a different side of the same rigged coin.
  • The Dual Change Strategy: The two divergent sides of change and how it can make you a fortune.
  • The Value Skew Strategy: How to find literally 1000s of business ideas and why you never need to "disrupt" or invent anything new or novel.
  • The Millionaire Payday Strategy: How to spot opportunities to hire yourself and earn an instant millionaire-making income.
  • The Cinderella Principle: Why starting a business based on a cultural trend or a fad is a horrible idea.
  • The Perseverance Strategy: Never struggle with motivation again; the four necessary ingredients to tap into unlimited motivation and determination, regardless of the obstacles in your way.
  • The Triangulated Value Strategy: Learn how to never quit three-feet from gold: The 3-pronged strategy in maximizing marketing yields while also illuminating the "quit or continue" decision.
  • and over 110+ more!
Don’t let the rat-race and its co-conspirators proclaim your life as non-essential. Don’t let the rat-race entice you to save your life away for the promise of an elderly retirement. Don’t let the rat-race lull you into a tedious existence medicated by television, video games, and trivial sporting events.

##### HOW TO ORDER

>>> Pre-Order on Kindle.
>>> Paperback and Audible Audiobook available on June 29th, 2021
>>> If you'd like to get an advanced copy (BEFORE June 29th) please register above to receive the first 40 pages and you will be added to an advanced list.

View attachment 37973
View attachment 37974
Got the email last night. Sat down & read the book in one sitting.

I really enjoyed the storyline & fictional characters as I partially identified with the characters in the book as me & my wife are still on the path to financial independence.

While reading, I remember hi- fiving myself for not financing with credit our wedding, cars, mortgages(rented instead). While also regretting that I hadn't taken concrete action earlier in life to start on my fastlane journey.

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
Loved it! The new genre/format was super interesting and effective. It was like reading all 3 of your books at the same time! (in a good way) :) Also, love the fiction part. Can't wait to see how the Trotman story unfolds. My only regret in reading it was having to stop at a cliffhanger haha.

The beach image actually works pretty well, especially in the start of the chapters. It gave a sense of calm and hope in the turbulence of the Trotman story. So, great choice with that. The icons etc are very cool too, give it a gamified and fun look.

If you are thinking about an additional product to go with this, I think this book would work pretty well with some kind of physical add-on for the tips/strategies etc. I recently bought the Untethered Soul 52 card deck from Michael Singer (its available on amazon), and have got a lot of value out of it. His just has weekly quotes from the book but your format would map much better to something like this.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
The cover is dark blue.

Ha Ha, well the ending is what might "trigger" people.
Masterpiece.
I found it harder to read with two timelines, but nonetheless, a masterpiece.

Hidden gems everywhere.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Just got mine in today.
I won't give away too much, but I really appreciated the way you dived in by challenging both the script, but also mediocre comfort right in the beginning.
It's something I personally fell back into after being ravaged by a month and a half of overtime workweeks and my goals and processes turned into zombieing out at youtube with coffee for my miracle mornings.
Can't wait to finish it over the next week, Thank you MJ!

SevenJay

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 12, 2015
MJ did it again. This new book is done so well that I might consider it the best book so far, and the previous ones weren't easy to beat at all. The storytelling really attaches extra emotions to the concepts and deposits them deeper into you. I'm loving it and it will guide me in my life like the other two books. I'm not quite "living the dream" so far, but I started a business that is doing decently after 3 years, I know it will get better if I keep following the advice, and I owe pretty much everything to "my virtual uncle MJ" for the mindset his books gave me.

PS: I hope an audiobook version comes soon!

Kelly!

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Apr 1, 2021

I'm happy to announce that my next full length book (444 pages, 13 hours Audible) is now up for pre-release with a release date of Tuesday June 29th, 2021.

##### SUMMARY

• and over 110+ more!

##### HOW TO ORDER

>>> Pre-Order on Kindle.
>>> Paperback and Audible Audiobook available on June 29th, 2021
>>> If you'd like to get an advanced copy (BEFORE June 29th) please register above to receive the first 40 pages and you will be added to an advanced list.
View attachment 37981

View attachment 37974
As I’m reading this, I’m thinking about allllll the people I know that would GREATLY benefit from reading this book! Including my 16 and 17 year old….never too early to learn how to avoid the rate race!

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Loving the audiobook so far and cannot wait to read the book!

Definitely giving it a 5 star rating and just getting started. Thank you for your time and effort on the narration MJ!

Attachments

• 1038B52B-4DDB-4D21-991E-DBA98C833495.png
    1038B52B-4DDB-4D21-991E-DBA98C833495.png
    950 KB · Views: 15

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Finally finished! Just wrote a review in German for the English Kindle version.

I suppose the book is mostly an attempt at closing a gap between real value and utility value!?
Wondering is there is more frustration involved :happy: , or more scientific curiosity. Or maybe I just got the wrong impression.

Expected fewer interruptions and more story flow, but I am anything but complaining. The interruptions and the redundancy eliminated the nagging feeling that I should read the other books again. The story did help with my emotions behind the Unscripted life concept. And I suppose I can recommend the book to people without urging them to read the other books first. Nice!

For some reason the tree trunk that you can't change no matter what really got to me. Probably led to new poison pens. Love that the book puts hopes and dreams at the center.

My favorite part is when ...
the feeling that the rat race is on its heels and retreating is described
. Really a strong image and emotion for me.

Last edited:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I picked it up on Audible, I'm a few hours in and its very fascinating thus far.
I will pause it for now and reflect on my own journey, because the book pointed out a few flaws in my plan.

While I am enjoying time freedom and am well on my way to financial freedom(or so I think) having quit my job about 3 months ago to work full time on my SaaS business which is slowly ramping up(we have some profits but not enough to cover living costs just yet, close though) I cant help but feel helpless before my goals.

Maybe I should reexamine how much money I need or maybe alter the goals.
Something which I didnt expect is that motivation dropped when I quit my job, so did productivity.
I expected the opposite, but its like the hate for my job was fuelling my progress.
Now that I have time for my family and myself, its like I dont feel pressure anymore, yet I know that its there given that I dont have the financial freedom achieved.

Maybe the book will provide some insight into that, hopefully :)

@MJ DeMarco thank you, awesome job :)

guaava23

Ready for the FastLane Living!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 25, 2019
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I just finished the book last night. It’s bittersweet cause now I have to take action, and it’s a bit scary. I’ve gotta breakthrough my barriers and just get to ideas and execution.
It was a good read. I enjoyed the story With the principles integrated. I do think MJ’s writing has matured, and I liked the unorthodox way of getting the story to combine well with the principles by getting you emotionally involved.
im already starting today to get some ideas that make ’CENTS.’

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
EDD4B5AE-153F-4A85-B6D4-002A2FC9F98F.jpeg

Demarco.
You are a helluva a writer. I do respect you.
My gut instinct told me, Tim Ferris is your competitor. I follow you because you caught the wave in 1999. I don’t follow any bs gurus anymore. Thanks for your all Work. You have my attention.

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
1625454463798.png
Just added to my library! I can't wait to listen to it.

Omsubedi

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 25, 2021
Maryland

I'm happy to announce that my next full length book (444 pages, 16 hours Audible) is now available with a release date of Tuesday June 29th, 2021.

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

• and over 110+ more!

View attachment 37981

View attachment 37974
Great book. Story of Jeff and Samantha made is so personally relatable as compared to MFL

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

• and over 110+ more!

View attachment 37981

Excellent book. The story of Jeff and Samantha made it more relatable than prior two books. Only have few hours to complete listening, will be done today. Please make this site mobile friendly as well. Responding/Posting to a thread is difficult.

frenki

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 3, 2020
albania
I'm from Balkans and cards are not used often here, so this was my first ever online purchase on Amazon and I think it is truly the best decision I ever made.

Loved the book so far, especially the part about "bad mathematics" I've had so much pressure from my relatives to start college last year and this year too.

They told me:

Just get that piece of paper.
You're going to need it for a job in the future.

People will think lowly of you, if you don't have a degree.

University isn't that expensive here, circa "2500-3000" Dollars per year, but still, I can't imagine wasting 3 years there and hanging out with losers who just want to hang out in coffee shops and smoke weed all day long.

I'm going to buy this as a gift whenever one of my friends has their birthday!

Last edited:

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'm thinking of Spain.

What business are you in?
It's been a heatwave here in Ireland lately! Though the winters can be depressing though they often don't kick in until Nov/December. I hear Grand Canaria is the place to be as it has loads of tax grants for startups and has both types of climate on the North/South side of the Island.

On Chapter 22 and loving MJ's book so far. Didn't realise we were getting both speakers and I just love the variety, plus in the book version you can skip the story parts when you're re-reading the book. It's definitely given me a kick up the a$$ and is highlighting where I'm going wrong so far i.e. Business System Strategy. I might create a simple 1/5/10 printout to help me as I find writing out a 5 minute simple one pager daily helps reinforce my goals... will share when I do.

... and if I may, I'm also enjoying the sub-text! :cool:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just finished the book last night. It’s bittersweet cause now I have to take action, and it’s a bit scary. I’ve gotta breakthrough my barriers and just get to ideas and execution.
It was a good read. I enjoyed the story With the principles integrated. I do think MJ’s writing has matured, and I liked the unorthodox way of getting the story to combine well with the principles by getting you emotionally involved.
im already starting today to get some ideas that make ’CENTS.’

You are a helluva a writer. I do respect you.
My gut instinct told me, Tim Ferris is your competitor.

Thank you! As for the TF reference, I don't see myself as having any competition because I'm not in the business of being a guru. I identify as an author who loves to write. I operate no sales funnels, no courses, no seminars, no coaching, nothing. I'm not a figurehead, a podcaster, or a talk show host, nor do I have any interest in being one.

So jealous! I think i need to wait for translation into my origin language. I am not good enough to read a book in english i think..

Then you will have to wait at least a year. That's how long translations take, and that's assuming I start licensing them now.

Great book. Story of Jeff and Samantha made is so personally relatable as compared to MFL

Thank you, that was my objective -- to put TMF and Unscripted into action so the reader could see exactly how it is done.

Loved the book so far, especially the part about "bad mathematics" I've had so much pressure from my relatives to start college last year and this year too.

Yes, math is the golden cipher.

yong il choi

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Mar 5, 2021
I am in Korea. I don't have a Korean translation yet, so I'm buying an English book from Amazon and reading it. English is difficult for me. I will do my best to read it. Reading will be long. I respect MJ.

MJ DEMARCO(21.07.06).jpg

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
It took a couple of days before the accompanying PDF was added at the audible page. Clear visuals, Nice Work!

Listening on my commute and during workouts. About halfway now, really like the fictional part of it. Makes the subjects more relatable, and makes you connect on a more personal level. So definitely more engaging!

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
Hi, just bought it! Right now in the process of developing a web site of speech therapy. Want to develop and online test to evaluate if your child needs help, what you can do from home, speech therapy leads, etc.

Need some motivation to go on, at the moment no visits at the web etc...

Thanks @MJ DeMarco and all you guys for this awesome community.

dipankar das

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Aug 27, 2018

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

• and over 110+ more!

View attachment 37981

View attachment 37974
Hi Mj I recently reviewed your book on Amazon India :)

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

• and over 110+ more!

View attachment 37981

View attachment 37974

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I like that you got the same narrater for the fiction part, but kept yourself for the other half. It was something that really connected me when I first listened to TMF .

Really enjoying this a lot. Feels a bit like xmas morning.

I will definitely be leaving a review but want to wait till I've finished it and take my time writing one. First time in my life I've wanted to draft a review!

Also.. nice reminder on RAS. I can't stop thinking about it when driving around. Don't think I'll ever look at traffic the same way again lol.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
50% through ...it's packed with greatness and actually funnier than I thought it would be.

Review pending... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
G

GuestR401x3

- Audible Audiobook
- Amazon Paperback
- Amazon Kindle
- Google Play
- Kobo
- Apple
- Barnes And Noble

##### SUMMARY

• and over 110+ more!

View attachment 37981

View attachment 37974
Just finished it on Audible. I hope the fact that you added a story will help me remember the laws, if anything it kept it interesting. But who gives someone 11 minutes to sell their farm MJ .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.