The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

'I've Never Met a Happy Millionaire' -Tyson Fury

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
if he wasn't rich he wouldn't have the luxury of being depressed for a long time without a shitty job to go to at the same time.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I dunno man. Quite a while ago, maybe 8 years or so ago, I heard the (in)famous claim that if you make over a certain amount of money (~USD 12k a month), more money doesn't make you happier.

I make more than that, but then again I've never been a millionaire, so I can't compare.

I feel, due to limited means, there are still experiences that are 'closed off' to me, e.g. taking a month long holiday (or more) whilst NEVER having to worry about any sort of expenses, like travelling first class, staying in the the best suite in hotels, buying anything I want as I see it.. you know, just not having to worry about expenses in general, and be able to throw money out of the equation altogether.

How much "happier" that would make me, I dunno.
I guess at some point, you'd begin to experience the law of diminishing returns. I just don't know where that point is.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Money can't buy happiness...

...but it can pay off a lot of unhappiness.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

daniel_m

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Feb 26, 2019
I will say this: poor/middle class people who have kids, jobs, bills to pay, etc. often don't have time to be depressed. They're juggling so much sh*t and always have to be planning for "the next move" that an existential crisis is the last thing on their minds. Imagine if I dropped you on an uninhabited island or in a forest - you have no time to be sad, you've gotta find some food/water/shelter and stay alive.

The road to wealth/success is often lonely and in the process, many people destroy their health/relationships/passions, etc. so that doesn't help.

I'm also pretty sure I've read somewhere that there's a correlation between intelligence and neuroticism/anxiety; of course not all millionaires are depressed but it would make sense in theory why Tyson Fury says that.

Interesting book on the subject - "A First-Rate Madness: Uncovering the Links Between Leadership and Mental Illness"

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I dunno man. Quite a while ago, maybe 8 years or so ago, I heard the (in)famous claim that if you make over a certain amount of money (~USD 12k a month), more money doesn't make you happier.

I make more than that, but then again I've never been a millionaire, so I can't compare.

I feel, due to limited means, there are still experiences that are 'closed off' to me, e.g. taking a month long holiday (or more) whilst NEVER having to worry about any sort of expenses, like travelling first class, staying in the the best suite in hotels, buying anything I want as I see it.. you know, just not having to worry about expenses in general, and be able to throw money out of the equation altogether.

How much "happier" that would make me, I dunno.
I guess at some point, you'd begin to experience the law of diminishing returns. I just don't know where that point is.
Yea, the studies said that after you make about 100-120K/yr there's diminishing returns on happiness

But it's also a correlational study. We don't even know if money was the cause of their happiness. It could easily be that there are personality traits that lead to both happiness and wealth, which I actually do think is the case. Of course i'm sure money is part of the variation. Stats are complicated. There are also studies show that lottery winners experience no boost in happiness after the initial excitement wears off.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
But like MJ warned, there are a lot of 'studies' that want to keep us in the slowlane.
Like ppl who push the "YOU NEED A COLLEGE EDUCATION" thing to keep you indebted to the government.
Not sure if this could be one of those.

Antti

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 21, 2017
Finland
Pretty sure he is factually incorrect in his statement that "I've Never Met A Happy Millionaire". Being a millionaire is not so uncommon nowadays, there are almost 360k in London alone according to this article by CNBC. Maybe the ones who are happy have a lesser tendency to show off their wealth and Mr. Fury hasn't realised that they are millionaires..?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Studies are just information. It's just data. They have no desire to keep you anywhere.

Oh Chris that is such a blinkered view, you are a smart guy, you know way better than that. :happy:

The vast majority of the information we see each day is based on skewed data sets biased towards the agenda of the publisher. There is desire and intent in pretty much all of it. Hell, this whole Brexit mess the UK currently faces and the fact that we invaded Iraq due to the presence of 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' were caused by skewed, or outright false, data dangled in front of Joe Public like a fat juicy carrot to carry forward the agenda of those with power.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Sounds like a personal problem Tyson needs to work on. I'm surrounded by happy millionaires in my networking groups and church.

Their wealth opened the doors to buy the experiences that bring them happiness on abundant levels. Humans are enriched by experiences, not things.

Tyson needs to change the people he attracts.

G. Wellthy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 21, 2018
I’ve found that the complexities of wealth, both in financial/tax/“hard” issues and personal/relational/“soft” issues increase the probability of being unhappy. But most people find systems that work for them on the financial side, that grabs more happiness probability, and most people avoid family conflict which can create short term happiness in exchange for long term disharmony.

I guess I’m saying I don’t think it’s the money. It’s the person holding the money. If you make more than that $120k a year number and can peak over the fence... many people see the grass as greener and create a lifetime of comparisons and unhappiness. What a waste of financial success.

Find some space for introspection. Figure out what matters to you about your life. Get your priorities to match your lifestyle. Find some fulfillment.

Fulfillment >>> Happiness any day.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Maybe all the ones he met are depressed?

...but that's definitely not an objective statement.

You see at the end he said:
"I've got a family with five kids, a house, a home why wouldn't I be happy?"

Try having those at god damn average salary of $500 dollars when the bare minimum cost of living per person is $1100 (the country I'm in)....

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
If someone is happy just being alive, then they will be happy with or without money.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I have never met someone who is not a millionaire and he is happy with his life.

I rest my case here.

G

Guest12120

Quite a while ago, maybe 8 years or so ago, I heard the (in)famous claim that if you make over a certain amount of money (~USD 12k a month), more money doesn't make you happier.

$12k a month can buy you much more happiness in Alabama than in California or NYC :)

I think most would agree that money can't guarantee you happiness but lack of money (to cover your needs) most often than not will cause a lot of unhappiness.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Oh Chris that is such a blinkered view, you are a smart guy, you know way better than that. :happy:

The vast majority of the information we see each day is based on skewed data sets biased towards the agenda of the publisher. There is desire and intent in pretty much all of it. Hell, this whole Brexit mess the UK currently faces and the fact that we invaded Iraq due to the presence of 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' were caused by skewed, or outright false, data dangled in front of Joe Public like a fat juicy carrot to carry forward the agenda of those with power.
I just don't understand why there's this conspiracy theory where people think others are trying to 'keep you down.' "They want you to believe you need a college degree to keep you indebted to the government." Who does lol? Your parents told you to get a degree because they want you to be indentured servants of the government? Whatever. That "diminishing returns on happiness after 100K study has been replicated numerous times. Humans can't have unlimited happiness . There's an upper limit.

And yes, I'm a statistician and work in research.. i get the data skew thing... I see no indication that that study suffers from that. Good analysts know how to make sure data isn't skewed.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
$12k a month in can buy you much more happiness in Alabama than in California or NYC :)

I think most would agree that money can't guarantee you happiness but lack of money (to cover your needs) most often than not will cause a lot of unhappiness.

They actually reanalyzed that data afterwards to break it down by (US) state:

HappinessAnnualIncomeBAR_CROP.png

2014_HappinessAnnualIncomeMAP2.png

The original primary research:

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
I think happiness (general happiness) is a precursor. A lot of us make happiness something we receive when we get X amount or when we accomplish X.

I have learned from personal experience to learn to be happy and grateful now. We're alive, we get to build the things that we want, we get the opportunity to go out and help people. Money is a symptom.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I just don't understand why there's this conspiracy theory where people think others are trying to 'keep you down.' "They want you to believe you need a college degree to keep you indebted to the government." Who does lol? Your parents told you to get a degree because they want you to be indentured servants of the government? Whatever. That "diminishing returns on happiness after 100K study has been replicated numerous times. Humans can't have unlimited happiness . There's an upper limit.

And yes, I'm a statistician and work in research.. i get the data skew thing... I see no indication that that study suffers from that. Good analysts know how to make sure data isn't skewed.
I think the government likes business people and entrepreneur because they create jobs and are generally not dependent on the government (self reliant bunch). It is the employed people that make government nervous that the gov is pressured to create the macro environment to keep unemployment low.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I have never met someone who is not a millionaire and he is happy with his life.

I rest my case here.

I've met people in poor developing countries that lived off of $2000 or less a year and were quite happy.

Made me rethink my entire perspective. This dude who has nothing with basically no opportunity is utterly happy, while I was utterly depressed at the time while living the cushy life with in essence infinite opportunity.

Happiness is a choice, tied to perspective.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I've met people in poor developing countries that lived off of $2000 or less a year and were quite happy.

Made me rethink my entire perspective. This dude who has nothing with basically no opportunity is utterly happy, while I was utterly depressed at the time while living the cushy life with in essence infinite opportunity.

I think there are many factors that tie into happiness. Some internal, some external. I think of it as a Bio-Psycho-Social model:

70d477e4ca1b376d18f79ffa609130fc.jpg

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

I would caution to draw the distinction between being happy and being blissful ignorant until SHTF.

I think in rare cases there are people who do not have a lot of money but they are keen saver and have calculated that they don't live a life in luxury. They are happy with their lives.

I think you can live a bachelor lifestyle in Thailand with 500k investment in a 4-5percent yield account. You don’t live like a king but you don’t have have to work a day. The interest and yield can take care of the expenses and additional private health insurance.

But even that cheap freedom you need half a million. Okay not a million.

There is no way around my head how you can have freedom without a million, and how you can have happiness without freedom.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I would caution to draw the distinction between being happy and being blissful ignorant until SHTF.

I think in rare cases there are people who do not have a lot of money but they are keen saver and have calculated that they don't live a life in luxury. They are happy with their lives.

I think you can live a bachelor lifestyle in Thailand with 500k investment in a 4-5percent yield account. You don’t live like a king but you don’t have have to work a day. The interest and yield can take care of the expenses and additional private health insurance.

But even that cheap freedom you need half a million. Okay not a million.

There is no way around my head how you can have freedom without a million, and how you can have happiness without freedom.

You can unhinge happiness from knowledge, from circumstances, from almost everything.

You can be happy just to be alive.

Happiness does not require freedom. Happiness does not require absence of pain. Happiness does not require pleasure. Happiness does not require meaning. Happiness does not require purpose. Happiness does not require fulfillment.

I think there are many factors that tie into happiness. Some internal, some external. I think of it as a Bio-Psycho-Social model:

View attachment 27491

Happiness can be made complex. It however does not have to be complex.

Rather the simpler one makes happiness, the easier it is to attain and sustain.

I like this biopsychosocial model for many things. But not for happiness really.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
You can unhinge happiness from knowledge, from circumstances, from almost everything.

You can be happy just to be alive.

Happiness does not require freedom. Happiness does not require absence of pain. Happiness does not require pleasure. Happiness does not require meaning. Happiness does not require purpose. Happiness does not require fulfillment.

Is that sustainable? That is my question.
There is a saying “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Yes it is sustainable. It is grounded in reality. The fact that you're alive.

And truly, what is a greater reality than that, that each of us can be absolutely sure about?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Yes it is sustainable. It is grounded in reality. The fact that you're alive.

And truly, what is a greater reality than that, that each of us can be absolutely sure about?
To me I stick to Maslow’s Hierarchy need which is very reliable model.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.