The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've accomplished a lot, but failed. What do I do

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I had a youtube channel that reached 50k subs. It reached it's peak because my humor was unique and I had basically filled the niche.'i tried to expand to other types of humor and games to bring in more viewers and my fans turned on me.... Bad. Like, from 30-40k views a video to 2,000.

Now for a long time I though "it will get bigger, it will grow". But then it hits you. You're filling a small niche, you're not hitting that sweet spot that is = humor that entertains the masses.

No matter what I did, my fans wanted the old stuff. Last night I finally threw in the towel.

Picture this- Colgate at one time tried to sell a microwaveable food. No one bought it because Colgate will always be related with toothpaste.

Before anyone says - dude you should've kept going.

I did, and I can't stress enough that it was the end. I'm all for faith, but I'm just as much for reality. I was type casted as one type if humor that filled a small niche and I couldn't get past it.

What do I do? I've done this for 2 years. Is it my time to finally move past youtube and take a shot at the actual entertainment industry, or do I start over with my lessons learned? I'm 23 and have no idea what to do. When I was 20 and started the channel, I could've never pictured myself here. I feel pathetic. And that I'm getting to old to try again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
And that I'm getting to old to try again.

BWhahahahahahahah.....takes a deep breath.....bwhahahahahahahahahahaha

You're F*cking 23

......bwhahahahahaahahahahah

Shut up and go fail again. That's what the rest of us do.

G

GuestUser113

I had a youtube channel that reached 50k subs. It reached it's peak because my humor was unique and I had basically filled the niche.'i tried to expand to other types of humor and games to bring in more viewers and my fans turned on me.... Bad. Like, from 30-40k views a video to 2,000.

Now for a long time I though "it will get bigger, it will grow". But then it hits you. You're filling a small niche, you're not hitting that sweet spot that is = humor that entertains the masses.

No matter what I did, my fans wanted the old stuff. Last night I finally threw in the towel.

Picture this- Colgate at one time tried to sell a microwaveable food. No one bought it because Colgate will always be related with toothpaste.

Before anyone says - dude you should've kept going.

I did, and I can't stress enough that it was the end. I'm all for faith, but I'm just as much for reality. I was type casted as one type if humor that filled a small niche and I couldn't get past it.

What do I do? I've done this for 2 years. Is it my time to finally move past youtube and take a shot at the actual entertainment industry, or do I start over with my lessons learned? I'm 23 and have no idea what to do. When I was 20 and started the channel, I could've never pictured myself here. I feel pathetic. And that I'm getting to old to try again.

tumblr_mg9yc0rTvh1qjccmko1_500.gif

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
You guys laugh, but when you spend 2 years building something, it's hard to just let it go. I don't know why I'm always the butt of the joke, but for once this is a serious thread

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I mean it's not like I'm all talk. I poured my heart and soul into countless hours of work. So I guess when you're in my shoes it hits harder. It wasn't an effortless attempt. I dunno what to do.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I poured my heart and soul into countless hours of work. So I guess when you're in my shoes it hits harder.
Your customers honestly don't give a shit. When you buy something at the store do you care if "countless hours" were spent on it or mere minutes as long as it provides you VALUE? Focus on that.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I thought my niche would expand, when I realized I was digging myself into a hole I tried to add different content, but I was so branded at that point that it was effortless. The value was there but on a miniature scale

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
You guys laugh, but when you spend 2 years building something, it's hard to just let it go. I don't know why I'm always the butt of the joke, but for once this is a serious thread
Alright, no memes for a change:

You're being laughed at because you're being ridiculous and one day you'll read this thread again and see it for yourself

Almost everyone on this forum could give you their own sob stories. Any true entrepreneur/hustler has failed at least once, usually much, much more than that. What did you expect when you made this thread? Pity? Pity is a useless F*cking emotion.

Learn from your mistakes. Toughen up. Start over.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
This is the first time failure in a larger scale has happened to me. I came here to ask how to deal with it. I will look back in laugh, but now I'm in the present and feel a little lost.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
This is the first time failure in a larger scale has happened to me. I came here to ask how to deal with it. I will look back in laugh, but now I'm in the present and feel a little lost.
Take a day to recharge, than start something new or try to recover what you have. If you need emotional uplifting, you need to grow thicker skin. There is no other way to go, that's the job.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

You're the butt of the joke because your posts are ridiculous. The shit you say is ridiculous and I can't understand where you get it in your head that it's a good idea to say.

You turned a serious inquiry (my business failed after 2 years of solid success, how can I turn this around) to a boo hoo woe is me thread.

Now, for the serious part of your post: Should you keep going with Youtube or try something bigger?

You changed something and the fans didn't like it. Change back, dammit! Give the people what they want! Forget about YOU and YOUR desires for a second and put yourself in the shoes of the fans. What do they want to see? Read the comments, take suggestions, engage your audience!

If they say they want to see you do a Twitch stream, then do it. If they say they want to see you play a video game or do a challenge, do it. If they say they want to see you naked... well maybe not that. But if you're comfortable with it, why the F*ck not?

You didn't fail, you hit a bump. Change your tires and keep going.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Listen to the customer. Give them what they want. Cash checks.

Meanwhile use the money to build what you want to give them and ram it down their throats like Apple commercials...... start a new paradigm ........

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
I was in a similar predicament spend 3 years and thousands of hours building a content based website. It got over a million visits and several million page views ........... made about 300$ cost me about $3000 for the content and Facebook ads. One day I decided to just delete all of it, never looked back.

I learned a valuable lesson that you are either making money or your not, Its either growing or its not, never delude or lie to myself again.

Too many people have pie in the sky ideas about growing at a massive scale, getting X visits/subscribers/views and making X Million.

When in reality their business makes less money than a job. Its a fascinating human protective mechanism, delusion to make oneself feel hope where there is none.

Good thing about the fastlane is you can strike out 99 times and hit a home run on number 100 and change your life. Move on to the next project while your still young.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I don't even see failure here like yourself and others are alluding to. This is a massive SUCCESS. Why has anything failed?

You veered off the path, tried to introduce something different and they didn't like it. Big deal, go back to what you were doing.

I see that your problem is not that your niche is too small. You have 40,000 subscribers! That my friend is a huge accomplishment.

40,000 contacts is enough to make any man rich.

Unfortunately, the path you are on is racing to get more subscribers, planting more seeds, instead of farming your current crops.

It is not too late. The seeds you have planted have not died yet. It is still in season. Water them, give them sunshine, give them what they want, and watch them grow.

What value are you offering for your 40,000 beyond your YouTube channel? Secondly, what option are you giving them to put money in YOUR pocket? You can't make money if they don't have the option to give it to you. Do you have a funnel, a product, info product, seminar, conference, where your subscribers can get more involved, open their wallets?

Or are you USING your 40,000 and TAKING from them so that you can create advertising revenue for YOURSELF through YouTube ads?

You took away what they wanted thinking you could give something to someone else you haven't met yet. And that someone else was in much greater quantity. Well, that someone else never came through for you. Go back to your fans, they miss you. Give them what they want and then more.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I dunno what to do.

You become a legend in baseball by failing 66% of time, or batting .333 ... entrepreneurship is the same way. Sounds like you didn't hit and miss, but just fouled the ball off. You don't win by going back to the dug out after a few swings, keep swinging.

And BTW, you're freaking 23. That number and "too old" should never be in any sentence. It really reeks of delusion.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
You guys laugh, but when you spend 2 years building something, it's hard to just let it go

I don't give a shit if you spent your lifetime building something. The market decides what it wants to pay form.

I don't know why I'm always the butt of the joke, but for once this is a serious thread

You make an assumption that me, or anyone else on this forum knows who you are or pays attention to your posts.

Suck it up buttercup.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Almost everyone on this forum could give you their own sob stories. Any true entrepreneur/hustler has failed at least once, usually much, much more than that. What did you expect when you made this thread? Pity? Pity is a useless F*cking emotion.

This ^

Would you care to hear my story of how my biggest client (>$1mm in revenue and ~70% of the business) fired me 2 days after christmas one year?

Of course not because you don't give a shit. Neither did my market. That's why I sat at home punching holes in the drywall for a couple of days after firing 2/3 of my employees, then spent the next 3 months killing myself to get new clients and make sure I was never susceptible to the whims of one client again.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Sorry to hear your story, i am sure that if you reached once 50 000 people and won them with your humour, you can do it again, better this time and reach 100 000 or maybe more. Learn from your mistakes, keep believing....This is what makes a difference.
Wish you luck ( hug )

G

GuestUser113

This ^

Would you care to hear my story of how my biggest client (>$1mm in revenue and ~70% of the business) fired me 2 days after christmas one year?

Of course not because you don't give a shit. Neither did my market. That's why I sat at home punching holes in the drywall for a couple of days after firing 2/3 of my employees, then spent the next 3 months killing myself to get new clients and make sure I was never susceptible to the whims of one client again.

I hate Walmart.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
23!? You're just getting started. 43 isn't even too old!!

23 is nothing man. Most people have barley landed their first real job at that age, yet alone done anything entrepreneurial.

IMO anyone in their twenties who is self-made is exceptionally successful.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm 23 and have no idea what to do. When I was 20 and started the channel, I could've never pictured myself here. I feel pathetic. And that I'm getting to old to try again.
And BTW, you're freaking 23. That number and "too old" should never be in any sentence. It really reeks of delusion.
23 is nothing man. Most people have barley landed their first real job at that age, yet alone done anything entrepreneurial.
Herein lies the problem with reading about all the mega successes of young treps on yahoo and the like. You fail to understand that those stories are extremely rare and as a result you compare your successes/failures to them. Those mega success stories get all the publicity. To quote @MJ DeMarco "Your knowledge of them gives the illusion that they are more common than they actually are. It's called a frequency illusion."

Whether you are open to it or not, you've received some great input here. Now, what will you do?

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014

1-Go visit a hospital, plenty of lonely sick (and often old) people in there suffering with nobody to talk to.
2-Visit any store where people are making minimum wage doing boring tasks and often destined to an entire life of it because that's all they can see themselves doing.
3-Check Youtube to see how many people the world "work" long hours in awful factory conditions, or sorting through rubbish at the dump for something to sell, or far away from their family in another country in ridiculous heat while kept in labour camps like animals.
4-Be thankful you apparently have your health and youth unlike those in 1, you have enough insight to see the potential for something more than those in 2, and however bad your youtube career turns out at least you're not in 3.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I appreciate all of the responses, I do. But I think that it's okay to compare yourself to others in the sense of being grateful for what you have, as the post above said, but that can work against you too. It could end up causing you to do less work because you just keep saying "Well, it could always be worse".

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Sometimes it feels like people haven't really been through failure when you say it with such ease. It seems like you'd have more emotions toward it. It's easy to post motivational quotes, but there is a rough side to it that can't be remedied with such ease.

I appreciate the post, but hopefully that makes sense. It's VERY tough to just "KEEP GOING!". When you put effort into something that doesn't feel like it's paid off, it's hard to take the same risk again without totally doubting yourself.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Sometimes it feels like people haven't really been through failure when you say it with such ease. It seems like you'd have more emotions toward it. It's easy to post motivational quotes, but there is a rough side to it that can't be remedied with such ease.

I appreciate the post, but hopefully that makes sense. It's VERY tough to just "KEEP GOING!". When you put effort into something that doesn't feel like it's paid off, it's hard to take the same risk again without totally doubting yourself.
Then you should quit. Live that 9-5 life you've always dreamed of with that safe and consistent paycheck.

You are exactly the kind of person I hire.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.