The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ITPRO.TV - Inspiring membership site helping IT professionals advance their careers

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I loved this podcast:

From memory I think they said they're doing about $5m annually and have 50 employees now.

I love how his emphasis is on serving his "members" (and they're very specific in calling them members).
He also tells the story of how they switched from higher priced courses ($2,500 to $25,000) to $39/mth memberships.

Here's their site:

What's your takeaways?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
In what way is it better than pluralsight? Did they just copy the idea and did some nice marketing?
I doubt they "copied the idea". There's lots of businesses providing training because they're such a demand for training. I suspect both platforms have different strengths and weaknesses, and the importance of those strengths and weakness depend on each individual customer too.

Also, people don't build a $5m annual revenue stream by "just" copying an idea and doing some nice marketing.

Thanks for the heads up about Pluralsight. I didn't know about that platform.

MrRobot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 10, 2020
Switzerland
I use pluralsight a lot and itpro.tv seems they have similar courses (maybe less than pluralsight) similar grouping / layout and the pricing is also in the same range. Pluralsight is worth 2.5B currently and due to COVID online courses are more popular than ever so maybe there is room for more such companies.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I use pluralsight a lot and itpro.tv seems they have similar courses (maybe less than pluralsight) similar grouping / layout and the pricing is also in the same range. Pluralsight is worth 2.5B currently and due to COVID online courses are more popular than ever so maybe there is room for more such companies.
Yeah, I suspect all these companies are seeing explosions in growth.

I can't see instantly in Pluralsight any courses on career development (creating great CVs, getting and doing well in interviews, going from employee to contractor, etc). About 15 years ago I was thinking of creating courses about the above (as well as specific Oracle DBA courses that help people on the ground rather than help people get certified).

Have you watched the couple of videos in this thread @MrRobot?

My thinking for my own membership currently is that a lot (most?) of the people who've taken my Google Ads courses are people who want to become Google Ads pros, rather than business owners who want to run campaigns for themselves. I could niche down and serve those people specifically (since I've been a freelancer or consultant since 2000) rather than try to appeal to the broader market.

MrRobot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 10, 2020
Switzerland
You are not the only DBA here btw :)
Thanks for the link about the consulting videos. At the moment my pay is just too high to consider consulting as no one would pay me 1K per day and below that it would not be worth it.

I have heard that Pluralsight pays really well for the videos (maybe they require your videos to be exclusive, so only available on pluralsight). Some big names like Paul Randal (SQL Server) have made videos for pluralsight so the pay must be not bad. As I see the oracle videos are mostly made by 2-3 people (Tim Boles, David Berry etc ...). So if you think some stuff is missing either on pluralsight or itpro.tv you might produce a tutorial video and upload it for some extra passive income.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You are not the only DBA here btw :)
I'm an ex DBA now!

Mind you, team mates figured DBA means Does Bugger All. But that's because I'd automated most of my tasks.

dennisgerik

Unemployable?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 24, 2015
Seattle, WA
In what way is it better than pluralsight? Did they just copy the idea and did some nice marketing?
I guess my question to the above quote is - why does it matter? If they have built a $5M/year biz - they must have a customer base that is attracted to their content.

So, in the spirit of an Infinite Mindset - perhaps there is room for more than 1, 2, 10 or even 100+ "competitors" in a marketplace. It makes product research a hell of a lot simpler. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.