The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It finally came to me... (My first sales !!)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around these forums for quite a while, in the background - taking in all the great information being posted up here.

I was trying to figure out my next career move. "Start a business, start a business, start a business" was all I could think about constantly. I would throw ideas around, brainstorm them, research them and then convince myself that it would not get off the ground and end up being a failure. This process was basically a rinse and repeat, then I realised exactly what I was doing. I was looking for the easy option, making excuses and removing any ideas that required too much effort. I sort to change this mindset.

Now, coming up with a viable business doesn't always happen straight away. I decided NOT to focus so heavily on finding an idea, but enjoy casually looking for a solution to a problem by being open minded.

Then one day, I decided to go down to the garage and actually make some progress on my project car that I bought the year my daughter was born - she is now 7. As I tinkered on the car, I started to write a shopping list of what I will need to fix it up. With this at hand, I went to the net and started trying to find the parts.

Searching and searching, I found a very small handful of parts available in our country with majority of people buying their parts from overseas. As I looking further and talked to more enthusiasts, I found there was quite a market here for these parts. The brand and series of car I was looking to repair had quite a large following here.

That was it - I set out to find a suitable supplier with the aim of one day, producing my own parts.

I had spent quite a few months getting everything up and running - not to mention the difficulty with C0VlD-19 and having things posted on time but we ended up launching mid January and I made my first sale only a couple of days later - wow! First sale. Never knew selling something could feel so great! Over the last month I have really made it my effort to 'help' individuals rather then just focus on selling and the response has been fantastic.

We have a LONG way to go but I am feeling really positive about it all right now. I think the only issue I have had is trying to manage the business while working 10 hour days, then spend time with the my family. It's been late nights and very early mornings but it's worth it. Especially when a customer posts on social media about the fantastic experience his had.

This month, we have made $3,500 in sales totaling 34 orders.

Bring on 2021!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I had spent quite a few months getting everything up and running - not to mention the difficulty with C0VlD-19 and having things posted on time but we ended up launching mid January and I made my first sale only a couple of days later - wow! First sale.

Wow, how exciting !!!!

Congrats my friend, thanks for sharing, hope to see more updates!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Thanks!

Moving forward I am trying to develop our stock to cater for more models that suffer the same issues trying to get parts.

Our Facebook page has hit 200 likes, minor feat. Trying to get more likes isn't easy though, need to develop a clear marketing campaign I think.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
This is fantastic, @Roughneck

2021 will be a great year for you!!

Keep us posted on your progress

Thanks Zahida!

Since my initial post, we are now at 40 orders. Ok, nothing amazing but it's progress! I am also moving towards making another order from our supplier to supply a greater range of products.

Another problem I found was the exorbitant cost of some of the replacement parts for these cars - one of this was particular seals. No one locally seemed to be able to supply them, or were willing to work with me to get some sets going. I took my search abroad and after searching through hours and hours of websites using google translation - I finally found what I was after.

Funny thing was, when I made contact - they wrote back in almost perfect English, made the rest of the process easy! I have since placed an initial order and so far have had 15 people show their interest - this is off a single Facebook post for expressions of interest. Cost comparison. Original - $1100. Ours - $470.

I have priced it to make my 35% cut and also take into consideration it's not an exact replica of the original (missing some material pieces) but majority of people seem to not be worried by this.

Zahida A. Khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 11, 2020
Toronto
I have since placed an initial order and so far have had 15 people show their interest - this is off a single Facebook post for expressions of interest.
@Roughneck this is fantastic off of 1 FB Post

How about doing FB AD to reach a bigger audience?

Great work!!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
@Roughneck this is fantastic off of 1 FB Post

How about doing FB AD to reach a bigger audience?

Great work!!
I will definitely be doing this once I confirm that the product is 100% up to my quality standard. Once I can be confident in the product, I'll get it out there.

Another good outcome is multiple people coming to me with suggestions other seals that replacements are hard to get and usually expensive.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Can't go wrong with car parts, especially FORD or BMW! :hilarious: Good job, scale bigger and bigger!

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jun 17, 2013
$3k AND positive feedback?! Sounds like you’re to kin it. Keep it up!

Zahida A. Khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 11, 2020
Toronto
... multiple people coming to me with suggestions other seals that replacements are hard to get and usually expensive.
Yes, once you are happy with quality - test FB Ads

As well, check YouTube 2 see if anyone is searching 4 your product and try YT Instream Ads

That's fantastic that you're getting great feedback/suggestions from your market

Go forth and conquer!!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Can't go wrong with car parts, especially FORD or BMW! :hilarious: Good job, scale bigger and bigger!

Thanks! It's been a learning curve so far but enjoying the challenge!

$3k AND positive feedback?! Sounds like you’re to kin it. Keep it up!

I've checked what my total sales is now, sitting at $5,100! My conversion rate is only 0.97% which is on the low side. Looking to improve this!

Yes, once you are happy with quality - test FB Ads

As well, check YouTube 2 see if anyone is searching 4 your product and try YT Instream Ads

That's fantastic that you're getting great feedback/suggestions from your market

Go forth and conquer!!

Good idea. Haven't even thought about Youtube Ads.

I have been developing an idea for a video that will draw attention to my website. I have talked to a few people who think the concept is great - I've just got to put it into action.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Awesome stuff brother! Good luck with your ventures.

Zahida A. Khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 11, 2020
Toronto
Thanks! It's been a learning curve so far but enjoying the challenge!

I've checked what my total sales is now, sitting at $5,100! My conversion rate is only 0.97% which is on the low side. Looking to improve this!

Good idea. Haven't even thought about Youtube Ads.

I have been developing an idea for a video that will draw attention to my website. I have talked to a few people who think the concept is great - I've just got to put it into action.

CONGRATULATIONS ON HITTING > $5.1k in sales

When did you say you are putting your new concept into action??

Today?

You realize tomorrow doesn't come!!

If you need someone outside your circle 2 give you feedback on your video idea, let me know

Video Tip: You need to HOOK your viewer within 5 sec - welcome 2 the ATTENTION ECONOMY!

Will gladly help you out on your biz journey

Cheers my friend

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
CONGRATULATIONS ON HITTING > $5.1k in sales

When did you say you are putting your new concept into action??

Today?

You realize tomorrow doesn't come!!

If you need someone outside your circle 2 give you feedback on your video idea, let me know

Video Tip: You need to HOOK your viewer within 5 sec - welcome 2 the ATTENTION ECONOMY!

Will gladly help you out on your biz journey

Cheers my friend
Thank you Zahilda!

I'll send you a message at some point with the concept of my idea!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
This last week has been interesting. We have had less sales, but higher sale amounts.

We are still having good interest in the website and our viewing numbers are up, time spent on website is higher also. I truly believe that the main reason people aren't buying is the product support isn't wide enough yet.

Hoping next order to be made this week!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Great to read of your success!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Great to read of your success!
Some success, let's see if I can keep it going.

Exciting news is I've had another large order placed and coming from the states. I had to put in around $3000 of my own funds but the business paid for $8000 with revenue. Best part is, I still hold around 30-40 % of my stock.

I've got plenty of customers lined up and ready to purchase items coming in. Next time around, I need to work on getting my "pre-order" down pat. Secure more payments. I was nervous taking a few payments as I had to estimate my costs of shipping per item, especially larger items where it was still a bit of an unknown. Luckily, my estimate model works well and I'm happy with pricing....and so is the customer.

I had noticed in the last 2 weeks, my sales had dropped. I could figure out what had changed, then I realised that one my google campaigns had finished and while I wasn't making direct sales from the first initial click to my website through these campaigns, purchasers were showing multiple visits there after then purchasing. Needless to say, it's back up and running.

I really need to focus on my presence outside of Instagram and Facebook. I feel that it's easy to get caught up in these without realise the vast amount of customers that are outside of these platforms.

Additionally, I have been contemplating about trying to link up with a mechanic in my state that is well known for mechanical work on these cars. Seeing if I can strike a deal with him - need to look more into this!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
It's been a few months since I have actually been on here, and I need to re-energize and re-focus.

The business has been moving along steadily. I've had some pretty reasonable months with stock levels slowly building. The past month hit 200 sales and $9,000 (AUD) for the month with this month tracking to be around $6,000-$7,000.

Problem is, I've hit bit of a motivational wall. I've had my side project (car) that I have been working on, which has been the motivation to start the business initially, which has been great. Unfortunately, with Lockdowns here in Australia and being stuck at home with 2 kids under 7, I am actually getting less done than ever before. I cannot focus for more than 5 minutes without disruption and without any clear business direction at the moment, I find myself sitting down ready to complete tasks but end up in a world of procrastination and analysis paralysis.

I have been considering whether to continue my google adwords and shopping campaigns or to try and take them to a new level using Andy's Adwords advice. Companies have been contacting me about taking over my Google Adwords, which I admit is very tempting. My only concern is that my market is quite niche, if you search for particular keywords that relate to my target market, we are more often than not a few from the top of the search list.

Any motivational help or guidance is much appreciated.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
It's been a few months since I have actually been on here, and I need to re-energize and re-focus.

The business has been moving along steadily. I've had some pretty reasonable months with stock levels slowly building. The past month hit 200 sales and $9,000 (AUD) for the month with this month tracking to be around $6,000-$7,000.

Problem is, I've hit bit of a motivational wall. I've had my side project (car) that I have been working on, which has been the motivation to start the business initially, which has been great. Unfortunately, with Lockdowns here in Australia and being stuck at home with 2 kids under 7, I am actually getting less done than ever before. I cannot focus for more than 5 minutes without disruption and without any clear business direction at the moment, I find myself sitting down ready to complete tasks but end up in a world of procrastination and analysis paralysis.

I have been considering whether to continue my google adwords and shopping campaigns or to try and take them to a new level using Andy's Adwords advice. Companies have been contacting me about taking over my Google Adwords, which I admit is very tempting. My only concern is that my market is quite niche, if you search for particular keywords that relate to my target market, we are more often than not a few from the top of the search list.

Any motivational help or guidance is much appreciated.
Inspiring story that you have found something that generates sales consistently.

Correct me if I am wrong. Seems like you are running a retail business. People pay you a premium for not having to do the work of figuring out which oversea supplier is reliable in providing the car part that solves a specific issue.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Inspiring story that you have found something that generates sales consistently.

Correct me if I am wrong. Seems like you are running a retail business. People pay you a premium for not having to do the work of figuring out which oversea supplier is reliable in providing the car part that solves a specific issue.
Thanks for taking interest Kevin.

You are correct, except I don't exactly charge a huge premium for the products. I try to keep them at 'reasonable' prices and take into consideration if there is a similar product locally - most the time there isn't.

So if a product is priced at $200US, shipping might cost around $80US plus we have our duties on top. So $280US or roughly $400 AUD to their door. I come in with a reasonable wholesale discount, save in shipping because I buy in bulk and get my duties and import taxes refunded through business expenses etc.

I'll price my product at $380 or thereabouts with products being shipped out the next day guaranteed. I could probably charge a higher rate but I find that my current profit margins are acceptable, I am making sales and helping out plenty of enthusiasts. I supply a quality range of products that I've only had 1 refund to date, which is a product that I would not sell again anyway.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.