The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It feels good to give

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
We met w/a small group last night called "Operation with love from Home".

They do care packages for the troops:

Operation with Love from Home | Facebook

Our B&B is going to make chocolate chip cookies (or something-- not sure what) to put in the 500-1000 packages going to the soldiers in Afganistan and Iraq.

We'll also be manning the booth at some of the Chef's Markets.

I offered to blog a bit for them as well (they don't currently have a blog, but I spoke to the tech guy, who was more than happy to set one up)

-Russ H.

I should have mentioned-- the whole idea about "Operation with Love from Home" started when ONE LOCAL PERSON-- a mom w/a son in the marines-- heard from her son that there was someone in his unit that got no packages at all from home. Her heart just went out to the guy, and in chatting w/a friend, they came up w/the idea of making a package and sending it to him "from some friends who care about you and want to say thanks for what you're doing".

That first package actually became 12. Then, it was over a hundred. Then, almost 500.

By the fourth time they'd done it, it was over 700-- just based on all of the donations from friends and other locals! They literally did everything by word of mouth then, and really didn't try to drum up support-- it just happened.

We first met them b/c they had a booth at the 4th of July event in Downtown Napa (a friend worked for the event, and suggested they share it w/others-- it was their first "event")-- it was really great talking to them, and seeing what they were doing.

This is a great example of how one person-- with a good idea-- can get a groundswell of support from hundreds of others who want to help.

The care packages are simple, and contain things like safety razors, antiperspirant, candy, etc. One of the most popular (and small) items is hot sauce from Taco Bell-- a little "taste from home" that you'd never miss until you're in the middle of nowhere, eating rations every day.

I'm still trying to figure out how best to help-- they need to pack things than can withstand a LOT of bumping around, and some severe temps. One of the marines joked his favorite was a "Skittles Bar"-- turns out it's a lump of melted skittles-- what you get when they're exposed to the 120º temps in their bags and melt into one blob!

Another said he really liked the bag of cookie crumbs (cookies don't typically make it-- they fall apart)-- he poured milk into it and ate it like cereal, and loved it.

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I have to find the link but if anyone is interested in supporting our troops overseas, there is a website where the soldiers post requests that range from writing supplies (paper, pens) to DVDs. Sometimes they need basic supplies as their PX had burned down. I will update this post once I find that link again.

Anysolider.com

Also, if you don't know, the USPS has special rate boxes for overseas military.

Last edited:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I know that our local Girl Scouts had a special section to order cookies for the troops when you bought your own. I bet they made out pretty well with that! Great concept on someone's part.

I assume the Girl Scouts will ship the cookies in bulk to the service personnel overseas. Hopefully, they don't end up as crumby as Russ mentioned.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Big fan of Ramsey here. Taking care of your basic needs first, paying down and minimizing debts/risk, creating an emergency fund, creating retirement resources, properly insuring yourself, and telling your money where to go on purpose are all fastlane principles. Furthermore, taking the Fastlane doesn't necessarily mean you have to borrow loads of money...remember that. I'd say TMM is an excellent gift. The average person on the plan pays off the mortgage in 7 years. What fastlane assets could the average person accumulate without a house payment?

With that being said, I love this thread. My wife and I have been doing random acts of kindness each month for a couple of years. Sometimes we will see opportunities to help someone in need of cash/goods, but many times we will give a few hours of our time as well. Once your eyes are open to it, it's easy to notice that elderly neighbor struggling to plant the tree across the street.

Also, if you're married, talk about a great way to bring you closer as a couple! Consistently doing good deeds as a couple is a great way to build intimacy. I belive the gifts always come back 10 fold. It's not always coming back in the same form...you will notice enriched relationships, feelings of contentment, better health, new opportunities, having the right words to say, self confidence, and self respect.

Make some time to volunteer. If each one of us regularly gave a few hours a week to help a child, think how deep the impact could be. It could literally change the world in one generation. Do your part to reduce crime, divorce, drugs, poverty, and all the other things that wreck lives. My wife and I have had a "Little Brother" from Big Brothers, Big Sisters for over three years as well.

WELL-PUT. PROF :iagree:

eloise

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 29, 2010
O town
I love you guys, now I know why I am here. You guys are so generous and you will be blessed so much more in your life by just the way you are. This is what my hubby and I do, we have our own ministry that does exactly what you just did. In fact, this month we are sponsoring a homeless family or person that just needs help getting back on their feet again. Bless you all and your goodness and just remember this, it all circles back around to you. Next month our ministry is heading out to help at a camp kidz sleepover event. We were just honored that they asked us to help!! We were once down on our luck too, and someone helped us out so we are dedicating the rest of our lives to helping others. Let me know if anyone has any more great ideas in giving back? Maybe we could start something where we could all donate and then decide where it all should go..That would be amazing. I would love to help with this..it's right up my alley. Ok, I will quit rambling, you found my passion in life so it's hard to shut up!!

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Ok it had been a while since I did a random act of kindness. Yesterday I picked the kids up from school and I went and mowed the lawn at my other house. Since we hadn't been living there I hadn't really noticed the grass getting tall. So the kids played around in their old yard while I mowed. When I was done I wanted to mow more. Well maybe it was more about me wanting to be out in the nice sun but I walked the mower up the street past a local park/playground and to this older lady's home that I know has lived up there for a long time. I mowed her lawn.

It didn't take long before she was standing at the door staring at me. I decided to turn the mower off and go talk to her. I talked to her maybe about 3 or 4 years ago but I wasn't sure if she recognized me. I told her who I was and where I lived and that I happened to see her lawn needed a quick buzz and since i was in the neighborhood and it was such a beautiful day I thought I would get it for her. She said great and grabbed her purse off a side table that was right there and started digging through it. I assumed she was looking for money to give me, God bless her heart.

I sort of giggled and said no I wasn't looking for money and that I had a job. I just wanted to mow it real quick. I even told her she had a really nice lawn and it was a privilege to mow it haha

She seemed thankful but maybe she thought I was a little crazy since I was so willing to do it. It wasn't a big lawn. Maybe took me 20 minutes to do it. When I was done her door was shut and I thought about going up to the door and telling her but I just walked the mower back down the street, past the park, and back to my house.

It wasn't a major thing but it still felt nice to do it. Except next week the grass will be tall again haha

G

Guest3722A

She seemed thankful but maybe she thought I was a little crazy since I was so willing to do it. It wasn't a big lawn. Maybe took me 20 minutes to do it.

It wasn't a major thing but it still felt nice to do it. Except next week the grass will be tall again haha

rep++ Thank you for the inspiration.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Originally Posted by Remdog

She seemed thankful but maybe she thought I was a little crazy since I was so willing to do it. It wasn't a big lawn. Maybe took me 20 minutes to do it.

rep++ Thank you for the inspiration.

Boy.......................you're learning quick!!!:hurray:

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
OK so check this out. Some people believe in Karma or what have you.

I have been trying to think of ways to help others. Then this lady who lives around the corner from me at my old house approached me one day and asked if I lived there. I said yes I still own it and we spent time here. She noticed we had firewood outside our house so she said she was going to have some maple trees cut down in her yard and wanted to know if I wanted the wood. I figured I would buy it from her. She told me she would give it to me. I offered to buy it but she said no that she would prefer just to give it to me.

So I figured when it was done I would go pick up the wood. I pulled into my driveway and she had the wood delivered to by driveway right up next to my current woodpile. It was all in tree length maybe about 2 cord.

What a nice gesture from her. So I was thinking of returning the favor. Any ideas? I was thinking of doing anything from baking a pie for her or a gift certificate to a store or something. Any ideas??

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney
My last act of kindness was to this homeless man on the train who asked me for some money. I have him 5 bucks, then 5 seconds later he had asked me again for another 5 bucks. That was when I lost it and told him to p*** off.

I usually donate to charities on a random basis with quiet large amounts, so it pretty much gears up my luck for the month.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
My last act of kindness was to this homeless man on the train who asked me for some money. I have him 5 bucks, then 5 seconds later he had asked me again for another 5 bucks. That was when I lost it and told him to p*** off.

I usually donate to charities on a random basis with quiet large amounts, so it pretty much gears up my luck for the month.

David-

There is a lot going on in your story.

First of all, why did you get p*ssed off? Did you think that 5 bucks was going to make this guy go away? Or that he would be eternally grateful?

Seems to me he was a bit entrepreneurial-- saw you as a source of funding, and wasn't afraid to ask for more! ;)

Seriously, if the reason you give to others is to make them go away, then you're heading down the wrong road.

Why not talk to the guy instead of giving him $$$? Find out what got him there, and how he feels about it.

Chances are very few people actually listen to someone like this. So by paying attention to him, and listening to his story, you give him a LOT more than 5 bucks.

You give him respect as a fellow human being.

If he chooses to flip you off and panhandle some other people, then you know more about him.

And you still have your 5 bucks.

I still remember coming out of the Carnagie Deli in NYC and this guy approached me and said, "Excuse me, sir? Would you be interested in making a donation to the United Negro Pizza Fund?"

I laughed so hard-- he was smiling the whole time. Who knew if this guy was going to use the money for pizza? Maybe he was into drugs or booze. But I laughed, talked w/him a bit, and offered him my pastrami sandwich. He accepted it, and told me to have a good one. I wished the same to him.

Most of the stories here involve getting to know someone-- even if it's only a little bit. Making that human connection is a big part of "giving"-- you let your guard down enough to show them you consider them a person. A fellow human being. Chances are that's a lot more than they get from most folks.

By our local Costco there's a guy w/a sign that says "Anything will help. Even a smile. God Bless you." I've never given the guy any $$$, but I always smile and wave. He cracks a big grin and waves back.

Think about *why* you give to someone. And what you expect in return. That's key.

Sorry if this came off as high-handed. I spent lots of years looking away from guys/gals less fortunate than me, and getting p*ssed off at them for asking for a handout (I still do, actually-- if I'm working my butt off to make ends meet and I see someone just sitting there, with a sign propped on their lap, I don't have a lot of respect for them).

But I do make an effort to find out their story, sometimes. I find it much more soul satisfying (for both me and them) than just giving them a few bucks. Or even making an anonymous donation to a charity.

For me, it's about connecting with others. Once that is done, I can often see a better/different way to help than just cash.

-Russ H.

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney
I was coming home from such a great 'date' that I was happy to give mood. I guess that just made me more vunerable, lessoned learned any how. haha

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
As Thomas Jefferson said, “I believe that every human mind feels pleasure in doing good to another.”

Well I pulled a LagunaLauren.

While I don’t feel comfortable posting something I’ve done...i.e. a GOOD deed , it was motivated in this thread by Lauren.

It was her examples that brought this about.

Some of you read my Ethics thread....this is the rest of the story:

I had 3 estimates given for my damaged planter in one of my rental units ( owned by myself...not a client )

The low estimate of $140 was given by a handyman who came with his 2 kids to ascertain the work needed.

While he’s looking the damage over his 2 kids ask: “ daddy are we going to Burger King ?” His answer was “ we’ll see”..........................hmmmmmmmmmmm.

He gave me the low bid of $140...........it was easy to see that he needed the work....hence the low bid.

G-d, fate, the unseen hand..........whatever you want to call it was in play here.

I gave him the job ...on the spot. He needed 1/2 upfront so I gave him a $100 rather than the $70.

He would come back tomorrow to do the job.

Hey kids he says...........lets go to Burger King.................Yeah....he needed my deposit to feed his kids.

Yipppieeee..............Yippieeee.................Those words filled my heart....i.e. the quote above.

The work came out better then NEW.......................I gave him another $100 ....he deserved it.

So I'm out $60 bucks ....the insurance company paid $140.

It was the best $60 I ever spent.

How about you......................did this thread spur you to HELP someone??

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Giving is interesting. I think this thread is a challenge, more than a place to brag- not that that's what's going on- just saying.

I remember once a woman left a bag of ice as she was checking out in front of me- I just offered to pay for it as she came back- she freaked! She brought up the whole "no good deed goes unpunished"- which she backed up with things nice she had done and the bad things that followed. Interesting.

Also, Karma. The only people who don't believe in it are ones who don't want to acknowledge the bad karma coming their way! No way around it- what goes around comes around. I've been on both ends - I am a believer!

What about people who "beg"- dude- I don't know. If I have cash, I do it for karma- karma I think judges motive for good- not what they will do with it. Sometimes though, I feel like- hey- I bust my a$$ to support and be there for two kids- when you have done what I have done- then I may give you money! LOL

I do believe in tithing. I don't know why it works- it just does. I believe in putting good energy back out there. I believe you "water that one day you will be watered". Motive is important. But more than that is that even if you are a selfish prick and you give- the God/the Universe will not be in deb to any person and it's true what goes around comes around!

sharper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 18, 2010
London
some excellent examples in this thread!

I always give to homeless people when i have the means to. the way i think of it is this.... that could be me. Who is to say i can't be homeless.... it isn't impossible i hope that if i was in that situation someone would come and help me if i needed it...

alot of the time people say they are just going to buy drugs and sure some of them are but i say to them id rather give it to them than them commit some crime and hurt someone trying to get the money they need.

but sometimes it isn't about money we ALL need help whether that's holding a 6 month baby for a while or helping a hold woman who is struggling to lift up her basket to get her shopping on to the checkout desk it's all help!

"at any given moment we have the chance to help someone or break them"

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I have been trying to find ways to clean up some bad areas in my town with as little cash as possible. I am stumbling into some issues and the only way I can see that is going to make a big difference is to buy out run down real estate and fix it up to look nice.

I am sure there are other ways but this is a new concept to me and maybe you guys can help plant a seed for me. Maybe it's just part of the norm and there is nothing I can really do.

Maybe it begins by influencing people but there are some places in my area that with just a little TLC will make things look a lot better and may even allow the value of the area to go up.

Do I buy some gallons of paint and some hedge shears and give it to them or will they not care??

Anyway, trying to figure out ways to make things look a bit better around here. I thought I would keep this in this thread since it looks like I will need to give to the community in order to accomplish this task.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Seems like now is the time to resurrect this thread!

Here's a little bit of holiday cheer that I found in our local newspaper this morning...

Man Donates 72 Carts Full of Toys to Charity

There was also an editorial piece from a lady who has had a total stranger buy her meal in two different restaurants this season. Totally anonymous.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
as also an editorial piece from a lady who has had a total stranger buy her meal in two different restaurants this season. Totally anonymous.

I did that few times in the past. It's very interesting in seeing their happy reaction. That makes me feel wonderful too. I also deliver foods to homeless people. It's great feeling when you have the luxury to help other people.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
BTW, I created this Facbook Fan page just few months ago to share my appreciation to the people around me. Now it has about 900+ thankful people!

Anyone here are welcome to join the force and become a thanker and invite their Facebook friends!

Two simple worlds can make huge difference! Who do you thank today?

Thank You!

arohan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 25, 2010
Michigan, USA
Some times I work out of my local public library. I noticed there was a person who was always there, and always playing games on the computer. We said hi a few times.

Just out of curiosity, I started talking to this man. In his forties, always wear the same clothes every time I saw him, but he seemed like a nice enough man. After a few times, he opened up. Here is his story:

He was homeless and has been homeless for the last 2 years. He would sleep in a tent, all his possessions bundled up and spend his days at the public library to take his mind away from things and to stay out of the weather. Many years ago, he owned a lawn maintenance company and by all accounts he did pretty well. Than one day, apparently he assaulted someone, and he was put in jail for some time. When he got out, he had no business, no money, his mom did not want to do anything with him and no-one was interested in hiring him due to his "record". Once, he vanished for weeks, and than I found out that some one tried to rob him in his tent and he got seriously beaten up in the process. As far as I know, all he owned was a bike, a backpack with his stuff in it and a tent.

He also told me that he is not a "criminal" type of a guy and has been a very upstanding citizen except for that one time and even though he has hit bottom, he has never been tempted to do anything that is not right.

I believed him.

He told me about his struggles to find a job, any job, so he can start rebuilding his life and get a real roof on his head. He was defeated.

One day I sat down with him for about an hour, talking about human dignity and the power of dreams, and that he is defeated only if he thinks he is defeated and that if he forgets the past and just changes his mindset to dream and look for opportunities, things will start to happen. We discussed the idea that he get a job, start saving some money, and than maybe he can take up snow/lawn maintenance work again and get back in business. That he needs to stop thinking about "if he gets a job" and start thinking about "I am starting my own business and I am doing that by getting a job and leveraging the savings". I also suggested that when he is in the library, instead of playing games all day, he should read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

This was about 3 weeks ago. About a week ago, he told me that he has an interview at Lowe's but did not know how he could afford to buy the steel toe boots he needed for the job or what address to give. Than the magic started to happen. He interviewed and got the job working the midnight shift. His mom let him move in the basement of her house. A few library patrons actually donated coats and boots to him. And this week, he was officially employed and NOT homeless.

I was flabbergasted, and truly, deeply happy.

100% credit should go to this guy, he always had it in him, just needed to make that mind-switch from "it won't work" to "this is what I want to do and this is how I am going to do it". Still, a part of me is really glad that I got to connect with him and possibly had something to do with how he is now turning his life around.

He did not need people to give him money - just some of their time, encouragement and a sense that people do care for him.

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
This is one of those topics that I always have mixed feelings about.

I enjoy helping others but I always try and think "Is this making a difference in their life?"

I'm here to tell you, buying disposable diapers for some random guy isn't making a difference. If all you want to do is chase that gooey, I'm a awesome guy feeling then go for it but call it like it is.

On the other hand I would rather inspire others. As they say you can give a man a fish or teach him to fish. If he doesn't want to learn to fish then I won't waste my time.

I am happy to say I have inspired 2 people in the last year to take control of their lifes and start their own businesses. That means so much to me while just giving money to people is IMO a waste of my money.

Gabeseg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 11, 2010
I myself use to thite to Church orgainzations years ago until I realized that all of these churches all just wanted your money. They can care less about who you are. A few of them went out and purchse private jets and huge mansions deceiving the world that they are doing the work of God... I will not mention any name but one of them they exposed on dateline NBC; The guy would go to all these mission trips to spread the gospel and would stay in over $10,000 a night hotel; This was a big wake up call for me. Since this, I stop thiting. It is a big farce. I do not give out a dime to anyone. It may sound like I am being selfish, but that is the world we wlive in. People will use you up and they will abuse your kindess as a sign for weakness.... Won't be making that mistake any time soon. just my 2 cents

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
On the other hand I would rather inspire others. As they say you can give a man a fish or teach him to fish. If he doesn't want to learn to fish then I won't waste my time.

I know how to shovel snow. I've done it for years. I don't really like it, but I know how. But, every once in a while, a neighbor will sneak over with a plow and clear the end of the driveway for me.

I know how to fish (shovel), but that doesn't mean I don't have a great appreciation for the gift that neighbor gives me on occasion.

To me, giving isn't always about helping cure someone's problem. Sometimes it is just a nice thing to have happen.

So...what are you doing to teach folks to fish? Can you share?

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
I realized that all of these churches all just wanted your money. They can care less about who you are. A few of them went out and purchase private jets and huge mansions; The guy would go to all these mission trips and would stay in over $10,000 a night hotel; This was a big wake up call for me. Since this, I stop tithing. It is a big farce. People will use you up and they will abuse your kindness as a sign for weakness.

Gabeseg:

I'm sorry you feel this way. It sounds like you've been stung a few times. But I'm concerned that you are using glaring examples of abuse or misfortune to define your life. That kind of thought process makes it tough to exist in the world.

Some religious figures steal. Others create aid programs that help millions.

Some planes crash. Most get you safely from point A to point B.

Some cops take bribes. Others are really there to help you.

I hope that you are never in the position of needing help in a world that feels the way you do. That would truly be a sad thing.

G

Guest3722A

it makes me feel good to know I am able to help someone out.

Doing my second year this week at feeding a homeless group, and treating them with dignity while giving them the full service experience. "Yes sir yes ma'am" can go a long way with making someone feel to be a 'part' of society.

I've also helped with house builds and demos with habitat for humanity.

Hard work but rewarding.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.