The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It’s important to get quiet

Anything related to matters of the mind

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I’m halfway through an 8 hour bus ride to Bangkok. I’m 7000 miles from home. It’s quiet and everyone is asleep.

It’s quiet moments like these where you have nothing but time and your thoughts that the real questions come out.

“What am I doing all this for?”

“What do I really want out of this life?”

“Am I on the right path?”

“In what ways am I lying to myself?”

“Can I dream bigger?”

“What am I afraid of?”

I like to be alone. I like sitting on a balcony at 2am. I do it a lot. Sometimes it’s out on my dock at home. Sometimes it’s a parking lot at midnight. Tonight it’s on a bus passing through Bang Saphan at 10pm. I don’t want to let too many days go by without asking myself these questions, though.

These moments of clarity have changed my life over the years. They’ve given me the luxury of not wasting half of my life before questioning things and getting mad that I wasted it all. It’s strange to look at your family members and see it happen. It’s sad to come back home after climbing a mountain and hearing your grandparents say “we’re real proud of you. You should be glad you did it while you were young and not too old like us”, and seeing the look of regret on your grandpas face. It’s what happens when you let too much time go by before taking a hard look at things.

We all need more quiet moments alone. We all need the space to think about our lives.

I recommend being alone for a bit and giving yourself some quiet time. It’s harder to lie that way.

FFD61CDB-732D-4FB6-91D1-5002C142137C.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Yes time for contemplation, for introspection and for searching for your purpose and whether you are on the right path is time very well spent.

Enjoy your solitude.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Most people unfortunately don't, Because introspection is painful.

Most people I know hate being with them selves. They don't tell me this, but I can see it by the way they act. They almost are never by them selves. And if they are by them selves, they really aren't, because they're on Facebook or instagram, watching TV, on the phone/texting, working.

I agree with you though, I like being alone too, and it's important for growth.

DONTRAY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 8, 2019
Pennsylvania
I get to thinking also. If I'm watching tv alone there's times where I'm thinking too deep to the point I realize I'm not even paying attention to what sports, show, or news channel I'm watching.

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
One of the most valuable assets of humans is the ability to think: Thinking can provide a solution to all problems, create brand new ideas and help us understand ourselves and other better.
It is a good habit to think and talk to yourself, sometimes you need an expert's advice.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Yes.

Being quiet and thoughtful is a very valuable thing.

@James Klymus I have observed the same thing about many people, that they can't stand to be alone with their thoughts. I've always chalked it up to "maybe they're dealing with too much painful head trash," but I wonder if there's more to it. I wonder if there's a certain sort of upbringing, for instance, that more commonly leads to being comfortable with contemplation and exploring your thoughts.

@Johnny boy someone recently posted this on slack and then your thread pops up. Perfect timing!

1chNFwE.jpg

Blackman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Dec 28, 2018
London, UK
I think the ability of handling being alone and just thinking, often talking/analysing with yourself, is a personality thing.

You'll find that some people find it naturally easy being alone and could spend weeks without talking to anyone, but others can't shut up for 5 minutes and have to always fiddle/do something.

Might be worth doing one of those personality tests and you'll see exactly what I mean.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Yes.

Being quiet and thoughtful is a very valuable thing.

@James Klymus I have observed the same thing about many people, that they can't stand to be alone with their thoughts. I've always chalked it up to "maybe they're dealing with too much painful head trash," but I wonder if there's more to it. I wonder if there's a certain sort of upbringing, for instance, that more commonly leads to being comfortable with contemplation and exploring your thoughts.

@Johnny boy someone recently posted this on slack and then your thread pops up. Perfect timing!

1chNFwE.jpg
I'm an introvert, so what @Johnny boy is saying comes so naturally to me that it took some effort to imagine it as a challenge for others. :smile:

D

DeletedUser0287

Being alone has been an addiction for me years ago. It is hard for me to go out because I just prefer solitude now.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I’m halfway through an 8 hour bus ride to Bangkok. I’m 7000 miles from home. It’s quiet and everyone is asleep.

It’s quiet moments like these where you have nothing but time and your thoughts that the real questions come out.

“Can I dream bigger?”

“What am I afraid of?”

I like to be alone. I like sitting on a balcony at 2am. I do it a lot. Sometimes it’s out on my dock at home. Sometimes it’s a parking lot at midnight. Tonight it’s on a bus passing through Bang Saphan at 10pm. I don’t want to let too many days go by without asking myself these questions, though.

These moments of clarity have changed my life over the years. They’ve given me the luxury of not wasting half of my life before questioning things and getting mad that I wasted it all. It’s strange to look at your family members and see it happen. It’s sad to come back home after climbing a mountain and hearing your grandparents say “we’re real proud of you. You should be glad you did it while you were young and not too old like us”, and seeing the look of regret on your grandpas face. It’s what happens when you let too much time go by before taking a hard look at things.

We all need more quiet moments alone. We all need the space to think about our lives.

I recommend being alone for a bit and giving yourself some quiet time. It’s harder to lie that way.

View attachment 29384
I love those moments. And I couple them with journaling...

Mongol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 29, 2019
I totally agree! But it's important to not wait for moments like this to happen, we have to create them every day.

Wealth101

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 28, 2019

“Can I dream bigger?”

“What am I afraid of?”

View attachment 29384
Absolutely true. Having a conversation with yourself is one of the best communication one can have, even though tough questions arise but they awaken you. I myself like to watch the stars for a while and meditate daily, and this is the time when answers are bubbling in my

Wealth101

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 28, 2019
Absolutely true. Having a conversation with yourself is one of the best communication one can have, even though tough questions arise but they awaken you. I myself like to watch the stars for a while and meditate daily, and this is the time when answers are bubbling in my head. But one thing I have realized that I do lack, is execution. How do I build self confidence to kick a$$?

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Meditation has a big impact on the success of a person.
I don’t think meditation has the same effect.
Meditation has the power to empty your mind to avoid dangerous effect of
overwhelming.
On the contrary, moments we are talking about in this thread has the power to make you think about you and your life, to understand what is really important to you etc.

Anyway, Cal Newport in his latest book “digital minimalism” explain the power of these moments very well, and notice that with modern technologies we have lost moments of boredom that are extremely important for us.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.