The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is YouTube a fastlane strategy‽

Chilolo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 10, 2022
Is YouTube a fastlane strategy
What are your Thoughts.

Here are Main
I think that on YouTube you are not in control of any think. The Money you get. The system meaning you have to follow there rules not your own.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
It can be, depending on how you use it.

Just make sure you then get them off YouTube into something you can control (such as an email list)

Here's a list of YouTube progress threads

Trait

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 22, 2021
Bangladesh
It can be once you find a problem/ a need to satisfy, but there is a big problem - the needs are very abstract and cannot be found without trial and error most of the time so you will need to keep making videos see what works and keep pivoting until you find a niche which can be very lengthy in terms of time. IMO not worth the time and hassle unless love to make videos and don't mind spending 3 - 10 years building an audience then it might be for you.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Control - you can get kicked of Youtube at any time, but you can get some control by driving traffic to your website. For example, I learned about this forum on Youtube.

Entry - anyone can start a channel, but it takes some very particular skills to be successful.

Need - depends on the niche you choose and how well you deliver.

Time - your videos will continue to exist over time, but most people that make a lot of money are making videos as a full time job. However, you could hire people to do this for you.

Scale - fully compliant. You make a video once, but it can get millions of views.

So this business model is not fully compliant with CENTS.
You can get something out of it and you will learn some skills, but I wouldn't bet the family farm on this one thing, unless you plan to become (or already are) exceptionally good at it.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
It violates Control, but don't get obsessed with fulfilling all commandments. A ton of people are making money on YouTube, Play/Apple Store, gaming platforms, and a very long etc. Just don't do dumb things and you should be fine.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
Not fully C.E.N.T.S proof as solely a fastlane strategy, but it could be a part of a Fastlane strategy. Also this is all subjective to your current set of skills and the angle you attack the particular niche: editing, creativity, narration, algorithm knowledge, marketing, brand knowledge, and the ability to engage an audience via a screen. If you skew all of these skills and value, I think you stand a good chance. If you don't mind working hard to excel or learn those skills, or if you're really good them already, then YouTube is amazing.

There's always room for better production or value skew!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Not fully C.E.N.T.S proof as solely a fastlane strategy, but it could be a part of a Fastlane strategy.
^
Just like ads and exposure on any other social platform or external website.

onesmus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Apr 28, 2022
Use it as one part of a multifaceted strategy. If your business is “make a YouTube channel,” you don’t have a business. But if making a YouTube channel is one little side part of your business, you’re on the right track.
Very true.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
What are your Thoughts.

Here are Main
I think that on YouTube you are not in control of any think. The Money you get. The system meaning you have to follow there rules not your own.
Lack of control but there can be diversification and risk mitigationstrategies.

Telegram group to retain fans and inform them of your new channel if your first channel got banned.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Use it as one part of a multifaceted strategy. If your business is “make a YouTube channel,” you don’t have a business. But if making a YouTube channel is one little side part of your business, you’re on the right track.
I agree with this.

From what I've experienced it's more of a hobby than anything. It can be tremendously rewarding too when you're learning deeply about subjects so you can teach viewers online. The only thing I'll say though is that there is virtually no barrier to entry -- everyone has a phone and internet access for the most part and starting a youtube channel is free -- and you have no control over whether youtube decides your video is acceptable for monetization. You post one thing wrong and your entire channel could come under review. I've known and seen people who have lost out on monetization for the oddest reasons. Although, as a fan of Youtube and what many content creators do I'd say go for it if you have a good idea. Just don't expect to make much unless you take a massive amount of action.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
YouTube is a channel.
Like Amazon.
Like TikTok.
Like IG.
Like Facebook.

Have a product/service that you control, and use these channels to reach bigger audiences. When the channel becomes the business, you violate control. And when you violate control, bad things can happen.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
What are your Thoughts.

Here are Main

I like youtube for the fact that media now , and talent is NOT controlled in a few select hands, with gate keepers and schooling / networking / Cronyism stopping you from doing your thing.

If you have (some) Talent, Grit and Dedication youtube is an excellent platform to promote yourself, your products, your business or your knowledge.

You don't have to do it 'all' on there, or have it as a standalone platform - but more so as a tool to reach a wider audience available at your fingertips - with production costs not exceeding more than an inexpensive iphone or a cheap gopro camera.

I'm constantly amused and fascinated how hundreds (thousands?) of ordinary folks are able to build up their channels, with nothing more then a fancy phone in their hand, no outlandish production skills or team -- and bring in hundreds of thousands if not millions of regular viewers to their page. With that def comes a great paycheck, whether in ad revenue, sponsorships or building of their brands on and off line (affect millions, make millions!).

And yes - it's not fully fastlane, it does violate control, and (time) to a certain extent as you are the product on that platform, and you gotta keep churning out videos to grow it - but it contains so much reach and other great aspects that it's tough to pass up for much of any business.

When we were selling automotive products, a customer of ours happened to be a big youtuber in a certain niche and made a small 15 minute video describing the product thoroughly. We got countless sales and referrals just from that one video alone.

It's not for everyone, and not everyone brings the skill / charm / wit / dedication to use it as a decent platform for themselves - but I still think there is massive opportunity if used correctly!

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I like youtube for the fact that media now , and talent is NOT controlled in a few select hands, with gate keepers and schooling / networking / Cronyism stopping you from doing your thing. If you have Talent, Grit and Dedication Youtube is an excellent platform to promote yourself, your products, your business or your knowledge.

You don't have to do it 'all' on there, or have it as a standalone platform - but more so as a tool to reach a wider audience available at your fingertips - with production costs not exceeding an inexpensive iphone or a cheap gopro camera.

I'm constantly amused and fascinated how hundreds (thousands?) of ordinary folks are able to build up their channels, with nothing more then a fancy phone in their hand, no outlandish production skills and bring in hundreds of thousands if not millions of regular viewers to their page.

It's not for everyone, and not everyone brings the skill / charm / wit / dedication to use it as a decent platform for themselves - but I still think there is massive opportunity if used correctly!
To add to this, something I find really amazing and inspiring about online platforms like YouTube, is that they are not fixed sum.

You can have an infinite number of large accounts. Sure, they are relative, but how many channels can you subscribe to? I bet you haven't maxed out your subscriptions yet.

There is a lot of wealth out there to be made, an ever-increasing pie, NOT a fixed pie. Sorry to derail the topic a bit ;)

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
When you only use YouTube as your only business, it violates the point of control, but even then you can make a good amount of money with it.

But when you use YouTube to funnel your products, it can become fastlane, for example Logan paul. Which startet out as a small YouTube evolved into a real businesses. I dont want to know how much money he makes just promoting a drink.

DarkZero

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 29, 2013
Youtube is great if you have already have a product/service you want to sell and it can become a great traffic source.

But creating a youtube channel solely for adsense revenue and sponsorships is different. You don't have control over that. Some can do it rather quickly following certain strategies. In most cases, it takes much longer. Though, it can be a great side project that can add an additional income stream if you don't rely on it as a sole revenue source and can be patient enough to delay gratification from it.

In all honesty, you can probably build a newsletter business faster than a youtube channel.

With that said, I'm all for youtube. After working inside businesses and helping people with different platforms, Youtube is definitely the best. Tiktok is "hot" right now, but Youtube has the most longevity.

liams_bad_at_biz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 28, 2022
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about starting a channel on making video game props. I'd then use the channel to drive traffic to my Etsy store. Would you consider it fastlane?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm thinking about starting a channel on making video game props. I'd then use the channel to drive traffic to my Etsy store. Would you consider it fastlane?
It could be. See the post by @MJ DeMarco above? Youtube is just one channel. Etsy is also just one channel. What kind of products are you selling on Etsy? Are you making them by hand, yourself? That doesn't sound "fastlane" - but everything is a process, you don't start at the finish line either.

It could be a great step in the right direction.

edit: didn't read the "video game prop" part. Doesn't seem to fulfill Need or Control or Entry. But I could be wrong because I don't know much about your product specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Khaliyl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2018
Yeah, ive always had this question my self and i didn't start for years as it violated control but you cant get caught up in the cents idea. Ive started now but as a platform to grow an audience and move them over where i have more control.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022

Like those?

Now you are no longer violating Control (twice - Youtube and Etsy), but you are also violating:
  • Need - How many people will actually want to buy those?
  • Time - You're going to spend your own time making those items / creating the videos.
  • Scale - The business doesn't scale properly. To sell 10 items you have to manufacture 10. To sell 100 you have to manufacture 100.

You only have E out of CENTS.

You could still pursue this, it's a great hobby if you like doing it and you might get some experience out of it. But I would never count on this to put bread on the table, let alone to turn it into a fastlane business.

Last edited:

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
for most people, probably not (as stated above it violates C for sure).. THAT SAID a lot of the recommended videos coming up on my feed are from people who started within the past 18 months and get 100k+ views per video.

i feel like there are two 'modes' of youtuber, ones who slowly gain an organic viewing, starting with dozens/hundreds, then moving to hundreds, and eventually onto thousands of views per video. this can happen over years.

but it seems like a lot of people enjoying financial success from youtube are getting thousands of views on their initial few videos, tens of thousands by month 3, and hundreds of thousands by month 12. i would say if you can find a niche and format that gets you views, whether as a business or hobby it's something worse pursuing.

liams_bad_at_biz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Like those?

Now you are no longer violating Control (twice - Youtube and Etsy), but you are also violating:
  • Need - How many people will actually want to buy those?
  • Time - You're going to spend your own time making those items / creating the videos.
  • Scale - The business doesn't scale properly. To sell 10 items you have to manufacture 10. To sell 100 you have to manufacture 100.

You only have E out of CENTS.

You could still pursue this, it's a great hobby if you like doing it and you might get some experience out of it. But I would never count on this to put bread on the table, let alone to turn it into a fastlane business.
Yep exactly like those. You're right and I've been a pit of a pleb, do people actually want or need them? They don't solve any problem, they are just very giftable. Yes would be making them myself and using 3D printing which is slow.

The part the keeps me thinking is the power of a personal brand. I have alot of content ideas that I think people would enjoy, I just have some personal insecurities on starting which is what holds me back. But with a following I feel like you have alot of options at your disposal.

In general though, I'm very confused and unsure on my direction next

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Yep exactly like those. You're right and I've been a pit of a pleb, do people actually want or need them? They don't solve any problem, they are just very giftable. Yes would be making them myself and using 3D printing which is slow.

The part the keeps me thinking is the power of a personal brand. I have alot of content ideas that I think people would enjoy, I just have some personal insecurities on starting which is what holds me back. But with a following I feel like you have alot of options at your disposal.

In general though, I'm very confused and unsure on my direction next
Don't get discouraged, there are plenty of opportunities out there.

I still encourage you to pursue this part time. You won't be making money, but you will definitely gain some experience. This is especially true if you don't have a clear vision yet.

Instead of doing nothing and pondering ideas, it's much better to just start doing something, and course correct as you go. You never know what new ideas you will get just by exploring something new.

liams_bad_at_biz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Don't get discouraged, there are plenty of opportunities out there.

I still encourage you to pursue this part time. You won't be making money, but you will definitely gain some experience. This is especially true if you don't have a clear vision yet.

Instead of doing nothing and pondering ideas, it's much better to just start doing something, and course correct as you go. You never know what new ideas you will get just by exploring something new.
Hey that's really true. Taking action in something gives you insight and potential in that area you wouldn't of been able to think of before. Thanks for this, because I was questioning my entire direction yesterday

MattDMND

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 3, 2021
Sure YT is a channel, so don't base all your business on that, but use as it is, distribution.
Channels are for distribution (of content, affiliate links merch, whatever).
But it's not only a channel.
YT is the 2nd greatest search engine in the world. So consider a proper SEO strategy when you use it.
People start searches directly on YouTube 50% of the time for content, as they start 80% of the time on Amazon (the 3rd most used search engine) for products.
This is going to increase, though: on smart TVs for example, is way easier to search directly on the Youtube app than start on Google. Walled gardens work.

liams_bad_at_biz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Sure YT is a channel, so don't base all your business on that, but use as it is, distribution.
Channels are for distribution (of content, affiliate links merch, whatever).
But it's not only a channel.
YT is the 2nd greatest search engine in the world. So consider a proper SEO strategy when you use it.
People start searches directly on YouTube 50% of the time for content, as they start 80% of the time on Amazon (the 3rd most used search engine) for products.
This is going to increase, though: on smart TVs for example, is way easier to search directly on the Youtube app than start on Google. Walled gardens work.
2nd biggest search engine, you're so right

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
What are your Thoughts.

Here are Main
I believe it can be. YouTube isn't going anywhere and people who get millions of views on their videos are making bank. Videos that were created years ago are still getting views too and it could lead to bigger opportunities.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just noticed this on YouTube on some of the channels I follow.

This can be a game changer and transform YouTube into a direct source of monetization, versus indirect. In other words, it becomes immediately scalable with good content (that still violates control).

Has anyone here deployed?

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 5.44.31 PM (3).png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.